Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

OK, now I want a game where you have to defeat the abstract concept of hockey.

well, this thread doesn't say it's solely devoted to video games so https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/141424/Nobilis-the-Game-of-Sovereign-Powers-2002-Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Wastelands 3 has a thing where you can loot all the dead enemies in an area with a single click. It's the one thing I miss in BG3 the most by far.

Hell, the enhanced editions of BG1 and BG2 have that functionality. Big loss agreed. (I know Beamdog and Larian are different developers.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

Over the last 6 years capcom has turned out success after success for monster hunter, resident evil, street fighter, DMC and ace attorney. they have a fantastic track record right now and DD2 is coming out in a very different context than when DD1 released over a decade ago. But the game is so unorthodox and feels like it’s been left behind by history somewhat (dark souls 1 came out around the same time and was obviously massively more influential over the following decade) that a sequel appearing after this long with capcom’s current batting average is a legitimately big opportunity. For gently caress’s sake, let people have this.

since this is the things dragging games down thread, I do think the lack of multiplayer in the sequel is a massive missed opportunity and I seriously hope pawns come with AI this time so that there aren’t a bunch of encounters that basically just can’t be completed if you aren’t playing one of the classes that can do everything yourself. I’m very confident from what they’ve shown that DD2 is going to share the strengths of 1, but it remains to be seen how much it’s going to address its weaknesses.

I’m looking at playing Dragon’s Dogma soon from a friend’s recommendation. What classes should I avoid?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
gta 5 has a loving triathlon race side activity. for swimming, biking, and running, the way to go fastest is to slam a presses as much as you can, like you're trying to win at a mario party minigame. i just did the third and last one, which bills itself as THE ULTIMATE TEST OF ENDURANCE. it's not kidding, it's THIRTY MINUTES LONG. thirty minutes of slamming a presses as fast as you can, while making course corrections, and any small mistake can lose you the entire race. I got it the first time, but gently caress my hands are hurting now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

A lot of games get accused of wasting the player's time, but in the case of GTAV it's 100% deliberate. I'm not sure if I've ever played a game that is so outwardly cynical towards the player (as well as a bunch of other things).

I have to disagree. It has a lot of poo poo to do, but the individual components are mostly all alright. It's just overwhelming as a whole.

The stuff that I think most people would think of as being the most bullshit - the Epsilon Cult stuff - is intentionally bullshit, because it's a cult and they're trying to get you to do stupid poo poo. But with a little preparation, you can make hay out of the ten days spent wearing the Epsilon robes, using that time to collect stuff like letter scraps and spaceship parts. Or you can just skip it by sleeping the ten days away. The five miles in the desert is also a pretty good opportunity to clear out like 11 of the monkey mosaics.

Honestly the part that I found the most individually frustrating so far was collecting nuclear waste. The submarine is dog-slow, it's a pain to control, and the whole thing is a mess with the radar you use.

As a disclaimer, I'm playing on PC, so they might have taken off some rough edges in that PS5/Xbox Series port that didn't get backported to the PC. Turning off submarine part pings when you're not in the dinghy would be great, for example.

e: another minor gripe is that looting security vans is a death trap until the midgame but by the midgame the cash in the vans is pretty much nothing. get 7.5k, 2.5k of that goes right to buying more body armor.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I've never played gta5 but it sounds like a retirement simulator?

That describes two out of the three playable characters yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I thought Michael ended up back in crime because he's an idiot full of rage that pulls down a house that turns out to belong to a mobster? He definitely IS bored but it's his inability to control himself that forces him back into crime.

That's correct, yep.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Attached in what way? You know what, don't answer that.

Like lampreys.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

It’s also very common for a game with 4 difficulty levels to have the lowest difficulty be Easy, but many games recently stopped calling it Easy for some reason so when you see four difficulty levels and none of them have intuitive names, you’d understandably think it’s fine to start on the second one without realizing what you’re signing up for. Anecdotally I’ve seen a lot of people get got by this in the remnant 2 thread and discords.

I get it I get it you hate Doom (1993)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

It's a game about throwing rocks at stuff and going pew pew with your hands.

Ah, nostalgia now extends to paying $60 to experience recess once again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Is Dylan gender-neutral? I mean, sure, I'm not surprised by that, but I don't think I've ever heard of a girl named Dylan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Penn, for example

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've always been surprised that I was never able to get into any of the current day stuff in any of the AssCreeds I've played, I'd eat that stuff up if it was in a book I was reading. But in-game it always feels like a distraction, like I'm running around trying to page through all the computer files or hit all the highlighted objectives as fast as possible so I can get back into the past. I guess it's a lot like all the times the Spider-Man games force you to play as a regular person, I just want to get back to the real gameplay as soon as I can.

There’s a really effective, sad character ending in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey in one of the modern day parts, but it’s way, way late in the game (it’s one of the three separate plot line endings in the core game.)

Ubisoft can make it work when they want to, it’s just often a chore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The performances are really strong, but they're covering up that the story is either generic Dad Story, torturously drawn-out restating like an anime desperately filling screentime, or just absolutely cracked.

Kratos never has a reason to go to war with Asgard. He's not forced along by curses or fate or personal vendettas, he doesn't like anybody that Asgard's been at war with enough to fight for them and they don't like him except as a weapon they can use. Boy doesn't have any reason to either, except that he's gotten obsessed with what a bunch of people he's never met and knows nothing about would want him to do. And then the whole game frames it like a "father must learn to support young adult son's goals in life even if they're not what he wants" but those goals are to destroy a whole country and kill everybody who lives there. We talk a guy into killing himself for no reason, which gets another ally killed pointlessly, and the game just kinda..ignores it, because Boy needs to pursue his dreams. Of genocide.

that's some real byzantine reasoning you got going on there

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So in Titan Quest, the game really respects your time management. Not your time, it's still an ARPG with endless loot and monster grinding across three difficulties to complete, but it's got these things called "fountains of rebirth" at the entrance to literally every zone that act as save and respawn points. If you are progressing through the game, fountains of rebirth are easy places to just stop when you need to go do something else. (It also has this really nice trick where it just has two torches or braziers or lamps at every chokepoint that light up as you approach, telling you progress is through here, go back if you want to hoover up any remaining enemies.)

But in Grim Dawn, the spiritual/developer sequel, this respect is gone. Fountains of rebirth are gone. Instead, the game always respawns you at the starting town when you start a play session, and expects you to use the fast travel gates to go to wherever you last were and go from there. The problem is that these gates do not correspond to the actual number of areas really well. So you can have a gate that takes you to another town, and a questline starts there to go kill some monsters - but killing those monsters can be three zones away, inside another dungeon inside that last zone. You better be ready to just sit down and play through all of that, even if you don't know how long it's going to take. Because closing the game for awhile puts you back at the starting town again, and respawns all the monsters again, so if you get midway through and quit then you've got to fight through all of that poo poo again to get back to where you were before.

This dilemma certainly isn't unusual for video games like this, but it is annoying because they had it perfect before and just decided not to bother this time for some reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Philippe posted:

That's always the move. Make a 2d Metroidvania soulslike, put difficult platforming in it. Why? gently caress you.

the answer to this in hollow knight was "why? because we actually have good enough controls that it's fun"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Has any video game developer ever actually BEEN in a swamp? I swear to god, they're not mazey hellholes full of poison damage irl, they're extremely lively places with tons of pretty stuff. I'm tired of swamp levels/areas in video games inevitably being the worst part. Give me a gorgeous marsh with lots of cranes and babies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Philippe posted:

I haven't seen a single secret behind a waterfall in real life

i found ramses' mummy behind a waterfall. i'm not making this up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazil posted:

how did it taste?

I don’t know, it was behind glass: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/science/egypt-reclaims-pharaoh-of-niagara-falls/article4137633/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

So I finally decided to give Farcry 5 a go after buying it awhile back, and nothing like watching a cutscene of people talking about how this cult formed their own country while I keep seeing Ubi Club item notifications pop up in the corner. I don't even know if they were related to Farycry 5.

Also, the whole "The "good" ending is gotten by walking away instead of arresting the cult leader" is some major BS right after your character sees a video of the cult leader killing someone with his bare hands. Sure the warrant wasn't for that exact offense, but it's still a valid warrant.

Did you not pay any attention to how the whole scene was characterized? The whole idea is that immediately when you land you realize things are immensely more hosed when you realized, and you're way outgunned and outnumbered in every possible way. The "good" ending being walking away is saving yourself from interacting with this hellhole, like all the other agents you're working with say they should have done before they inevitably get murdered.

The point isn't that it's not a valid warrant, the point is that you really need to just gtfo and come back with swat teams and tanks and poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

What you're shown is a fairly small number of cultists with assault rifles, which is also what you see in the video the protagonist is watching at the start, and the deputies you're with at the start tell the other agent to walk away even before they see the compound (and it turns out the cult has members in the sheriff's department anyways). And even then, it isn't until the helicopter crashes and you run that they actually start firing at you. You don't see the larger numbers until you and the other marshall are escaping in the truck.

It's just a dumb "alternate ending" that was trying to mimic Farcry 4's "good" ending, except that one made sense (Pagan Min is a psychopath, but also made a point of wanting you safe before leaving).

Did you not look to the left and right as you entered? There's hundreds of cultists there. Like right when you get control in the compound and start the move control stick to walk tutorial there are TONS of them there, the agents you're with are commenting on how fortified the place is, etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Honestly, I was playing the PS4 version on PS5 and there was some noticeable pop in happening when the helicopter approached the compound and was circling around, and while there was a decent amount of cultists, it wasn't THAT many. Maybe there's more on the PC version, or maybe they just hadn't loaded in yet.

Ah, yeah, I was playing on PC and it was very immediately clear that you were surrounded and outgunned.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

Asheron is Calling and wants its acronym back since it had it first

someone asked me the other day if i knew how to import skins for SC2 and I was like "hell yeah let's get Link in those dresses" and they were like "what are you talking about i mean Starcraft 2" and I was immensely disappointed

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

I didn't get super far in New Dawn but if it lets you shoot Seed in the face at some point, that will be an improvement for sure

e: nope i was completely wrong looking it up. yes you can

Arivia has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jan 24, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Those two were just 'see? it's randomized' the first one was the really bad one. It's a dumb mechanic that makes it hard to even look up to solution if you're stuck. I don't see anything materially gained, but also I'm not gonna fault a late 90's/early 2000's game for having bad puzzles, because it was a genre norm back then.

At least it’s not the book puzzle in Silent Hill 3. On easier puzzle difficulties it just needs you to shelve the books in the right order to read a code off them. On the hardest difficulty it requires a thorough knowledge of the works of Shakespeare.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

This didnt link to a post on the SH circumschism and that is dragging me down

piano wire is what the mohel uses, duh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

Double jumping might make no sense whatsoever but it feels really good.

(Jumping in games even apart from that is generally wildly unrealistic to give better gameplay. Being able to jump absurdly high, air control, instant jumping with height determined by actions after you've left the ground)

Classic Doom is pretty funny about this. When you're playing the game solo it looks great, but when you're in multiplayer or when you see another actor with the same properties as Doomguy moving, it looks absolutely absurd. You're like the goddamn Roadrunner, moving in a blink, turning on a dime!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

I thought doom 1 only supported mouse movement and not mouse look originally, so didn't moving the mouse foward and backward move you that way? I only played it with e keyboard, but I remember being really disoriented trying Hexen 2 after I'd been playing Half-Life because the control scheme was back to goofy things for the mouse in an FPS other than mouse look.

Doom supports horizontal but not vertical mouse look by default. Sebmojo is right, it also includes mouse movement (forward) which is generally called “lookspring” in FPS control settings, although Doom is early enough it doesn’t call it that. John Romero figured out using keyboard strafing and mouselook to turn around Doom’s release and got very good at winning deathmatch by literally circlestrafing around people while they couldn’t keep up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vandar posted:

Let me tell you about the DLC from Dark Souls 1...

That wasn’t terrible to unlock? Kill enemy in out of the way but not super far place, kill other enemy directly next to late game critical route, return to out of the way place with drop from second enemy, go. I guess if you didn’t know what the unlock condition was at all it would be annoying but by Dark Souls standards that’s pretty normal and easy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Philippe posted:

MittenSquad

RIP to a good man

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i'm playing pokemon emerald and i would just like to say: gently caress you, feebas

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

My expression when I saw this post:

Although it's pretty funny in hindsight that they copied the "garbage fish that becomes far greater after evolution" gimmick. But besides looking and acting like garbage they also made it garbage to catch this time, while you couldn't stop fishing Magikarps!

If the fishing spots were visible it would be a lot better I think. Less annoying, and it would still facilitate it being changed through Record Mixing with other players. Even better mixing since you’d be able to see it change.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Re: being underwater in games, I'm always curious what was behind the decision in the Mega-Man games that jumping in water somehow made you go higher.

Pretty simple - jump and usually crouch are the controls for go up/down already, so reusing them for the same axes of movement makes sense and means you don’t need even more buttons.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

The original Baldur's Gate has you at first level for-ever, man. Am I missing a bunch of sidequests before the Nashkel Mines? Because the game's story keeps telling you to go there as soon as you can, like even more than most RPGs.

Not really. There’s some minor stuff you can do ahead of time, but the intent is to go to Nashkel and talk to the mayor. Then Jaheira and everyone will calm down and you can gently caress around.

Even then, in terms of levelling up, doing the mines or the gnoll stronghold (if you picked up Minsc or Edwin) is the right play. After those two you’ll generally be around level 3 and that’s when you wander around the wilderness hoovering up side quests and getting really strong.

There’s a dedicated thread for the first Baldur’s Gate and the related games in Games called the Infinity Engine thread, tons of helpful people/advice there. (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586742)

Arivia has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Feb 25, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having played The Witcher 2 and Xenoblade 2, what other games have the absolute worst User Interface?

Examples of Bad UI:
  • The map doesn't account for elevation or blocked paths. The cursor points to an impassible mountain range but not the cave mouth that leads the way.
  • You have to buy or create items one at a time.
  • It takes far more clicks than necessary to equip a hat or drink a potion.
  • A lot of real-estate is used up on the screen, despite the features being irrelevant most of the time.
  • You can't save any loadouts in a game about customization.
  • By the time you notice a quest update it's already gone.
  • You don't notice the danger because the hazard symbol is microscopic.

It's kind of cheating (since it's from like 1995) but The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall has an incredible amount of work put into its UI and a lot of it is still useless, confusing or entirely what the gently caress. The dungeon map is a 3D display of these giant randomly generated dungeons that doesn't show you anything except the wall textures so it's useless to figure out where you are.

I could definitely come up with more if I thought about it but quest updates (including ones that set a hard deadline for you to do something or not die) are frequently shown as single popups that immediately go away once you press a key or click, and are not saved anywhere.

Also, swinging a weapon has you holding down the left mouse button and moving your mouse to mimic the kind of attack you want to do. Want to slash? Go left to right. Stab? Quick up movement. I killed a bunch of old ball mice playing it as a kid, it was just that destructive to them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

*and stealing their priceless artefacts!

probably the most accurate depiction of british archaeology tbh

yeah legally according to british law that's actually british land lara croft is defending sorry wokes if you don't like the real truths

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
TenTimesLessByOne you’re not wrong that the 5e D&D design that BG3’s class design is based on is pretty boring. Basically there was an immediately previous edition of D&D (4e) with extremely exciting build choices at every level, but that version was popularly reviled by many long-time fans of D&D for being too much of a change from preceding editions of D&D (missing fan-favorite elements, missing archetypes of how classes did play, etc.)

5e was intentionally simplified and included “dead” levels (with no choices) or very small lists of choices as a design goal to feel closer to what many fans wanted D&D to be. Sadly that simplified, few choices edition is the one that became super popular with “actual play” streams of tabletop games and the interest in nerd poo poo during the pandemic. Larian actually added some significant choices in BG3 that aren’t in the base system at all, like all the weapon special attacks.

It should be noted no actual 4e video games were created, Atari basically sat on the D&D license for most of a decade.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Weird-rear end phrasing in the first half there Arivia, I helped you out a bit but I could only do so much.

Good job adding all the pointless editorializing and edition warrioring that I intentionally left out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lobok posted:

Why don't D&D fans simply play the edition they want?

A lot of people do, there’s a whole movement that’s been around for two decades called the OSR about playing the edition of D&D that you want. But there’s a ton of social pressure to play the new poo poo too, with the networking effect of it having most of the new players and official events, to all the discussion online being about shiny new books.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Lol no you didn't.

e: one of the many, many disadvantages of being someone I admire is that that I hold you to Standards in the areas that I admire you for. You're far too politically active to not see that your original post is not a neutral description, even within the bounds of there being no such thing as a neutral description.

I’m flattered to know you admire me but I seriously was trying to provide a neutral view for this thread that addressed why BG3’s 5e rules felt boring without starting an edition war discussion. You added some important stuff for discussing 5e in general, but that was stuff that I intentionally left out because it’s “pyf things dragging games down” (primarily video games) not “py worst things about rpgs.” You and I know there’s a lot to discuss there but it wasn’t germane to this thread when I made this post (it looks like we’re going that way anyway) and I was trying to respect the people who read this thread but not trad games or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

I genuinely want to take this to PMs because I want to explain the issue without boring everyone else but you don't have them!

Yeah I lost PMs when Leperflesh decided to be a vindictive jerk and throw a ban+a week at me for saying I wasn't gonna post in trad games any more. Haven't really felt like buying them back from that.