Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
> using buddies during missions
> not having water pistol as your only weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
AssCreed Revelations must be kidding if they expect me to 100% sync every mission

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

MGSV let's you re-do early missions aided by your big-tittied-sniper which happened before you recruited her, and the enemies get harder

that's a hell of an asset

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

In Prey if you throw an object while floating in zero-G the force doesn't send you flying backwards :colbert:

The dynamic responsive difficulty thing is pretty cool but it exists independent​ of story progress so if you replay early missions it's all A-ranked soldiers with endgame equipment. Theoretically you can make some missions even harder by holding off and getting upgrades rather than tackling it as soon as possible when the soldiers are weaker and don't have as many tricks like shooting down Fulton balloons or using decoys.

Also while it mostly works well (do a lot of headshots and dudes will start wearing helmets while if you use a lot of smoke bombs they wear gasmasks, for example) other parts are either bugged or incomplete because sneaking is supposed to make more cameras pop up yet you only ever see a handful in the entire game no matter how you play.

i think it sucks that they never implemented patrolling walkers in the open world. you only see them in the missions where they would appear.

also i dunno if it's possible to start a ruckus at one base to have other bases funnel their troops over for assistance so you could attack those now-exposed bases. i feel like that won't work because of the way the game handles chunks of the world.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

moosecow333 posted:

Neir Automata taking away my ability to do anything but limp while there are multiple level 50 robots around is not my idea of a good time. They even punched me into the super deep hole in the city ruins twice and I couldn't climb out because this drat virus won't even let me use the ladder.

After the poo poo show that was route B I'm really struggling to find a reason to finish the game.

yeah, that happened to me too. that's the one thing i wished the game didn't bring back from mgr.

i thought it was worth it, because after route b you get chapter select and can clean up whatever sidequests or weapons you missed out on.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

It also kind of started that whole cliche where whenever you run into a character monologuing to you from behind unbreakable glass that they're totally about to get ganked as a Feels Moment.

i hate this so much in games.

Daedo posted:

I just finished the game today whilst playing through the Ezio Collection, and there's several missions that had full sync requirements that were a pain in the rear end. Somehow I got the achievement for doing this on the 360, but that was six years ago and now I don't have the time or the patience to try it here. Especially because failing full sync means restarting the whole memory, as reloading checkpoints wasn't introduced until a later game.

other than cheevos, is there a reward in the game for getting full sync? does it unlock an alt ending?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

EmmyOk posted:

It's so lame and it's so clearly bad design because either it's "about to be murdered" or more commonly "we didn't program a way to stop you killing NPCs"

i think watch_dogs did a clever inversion bc the guy is in his little bomb shelter but you can hack his pacemaker to cause a heart attack and kill him.

Daedo posted:

Nope, not a thing so if you're not concerned about achievements you can happily ignore the 100% sync without missing out on anything.

oh thank god.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I feel sandboxes like BOTW and MGSV are better than Ubisoft fare because every time they introduce a gameplay-mechanic it persists until the end of the game.

i can't speak for zelda bc i haven't experienced it firsthand, but i know kojima is a big fan of ubisoft games and it shows in mgsv. tagging enemies for stealth gameplay became trendy after far cry and the basebuilding for diamond dogs comes from the assassin's creed games.

the thing i like that mgsv did was make tailing missions optional. the reward is usually more story if you're looking for that - and one target will rename themselves and get better stats, i think, if you follow his story arc in the mission.

also, even though the game is unfinished, the mission structure is so open ended that you can adjust playstyle and difficulty just based on your loadout. i can't think of other open world games that allow that amount of wiggle room.

did you know you can rescue kaz in the first mission and never run into the skulls? if you avoid the point where the mission wants you to extract you can find another extraction point and finish the mission without ever running into mist.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Danaru posted:

Something that still drives me nuts is that in MGSV, they made a phone app that connects to the game and lets you listen to cassettes and junk, but doesn't even try to include letting you gently caress around with online stuff on the go. If I could fire off dispatch missions, fiddle with FOBs, and refine resources from the phone app I'd probably still be playing it. Instead you have to spend five minutes for the PS4 game to load up and rummage through all the notices and if you want resources you're leaving the game on while sitting in a box in the back of the truck because just idling isn't enough and arghhh :argh: Every time I feel the urge to boot it up I remember that I need five million litres of fuel to make anything good and end up playing Xenoverse 2 instead.

It wouldn't be SO egregious if the Ground Zeroes phone app didn't have a mother base simulation game on it

the online stuff kneecaps the game imo. if they just had mgo and that was that, it would be fine. fob's should have an opt-in setting.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Mgs4 had an Altair skin and they actually made a fairly big to-do about it.

he's had references in 4 with the assassin robes and you can get an assassin ranking if you knife kill like 100 dudes or something and i think have no alerts.

also, this was in peacewalker.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Tailing missions are almost universally a plague upon video games and it is a mystery to me why every other developer thinks my deepest heart desire is to walk behind a dude who goes 1/4 of my default speed and stops every 10 seconds to look behind him because he believes so deeply in looking the way he's going.

that's the thing: they're completely optional in mgsv. the only reason you'd wanna do them is to check them off your list of optional tasks.

you can beeline for the objective for most missions from the start.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sonic Mania

the gravity orbs from S & K's special stages are a thing you gotta use to travel in one of the later stages.

i don't like em.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Vic posted:

Dark Souls I finally gave it an honest try and strated to actually enjoy the game. But gently caress the camera. It was bad enough with the capra demon, but right now im in Anor Londo, the Fatguy/Lightning spear dude bossfight and the camera constantly fucks me over when im locked on because they jump around and swing my camera into a pillar or a wall and im looking at the back of my dumb helmet or someones giant gold plated crotch.

Is it better in later games?

no.

don't lock on.

if it's too much, unhollow and look for a summon by the stairs leading to the giant blacksmith

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Morpheus posted:

I feel the same way about Yakuza Kiwami right now. I just don't care about the story because I know exactly who makes it out and who doesn't. But then, the games have never really had particularly interesting storylines, it's about seeing Kiryu punch his way out of things then earning everybody's respect in the process because he's that much of a badass.

The stories are slow burns and it really does depend on how much time you focus on the main stuff versus the side activities.

Yakuza plots always involve the intricacies between mob politics and how people gently caress their own all the time and I don't think many people know that going in and expect older GTA-style missions.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sunswipe posted:

There's an earlier one on the open sea. Get too close to the ship and you fail. When the ship reaches its destination, you jump off yours and follow a baddie who almost immediately says "I think we were followed by another ship." Thanks for making that loving pointless. Ubisoft really need to make a pirate game that's basically Black Flag without all the Assassin's Creed crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A72NoMuQst0

personally i don't like how ubisoft tries to make the same game every time and sell them as different franchises.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

moosecow333 posted:

I've been complaining about Automata a lot lately but the desert boss you fight as A2 is hot bullshit and I've died more to it than I have in the entire game combined. The beserk mode is useless for the fight and the stagger at the end will only get you killed as you can't avoid any of the 6 lasers coming at you. Maybe it's because I was two levels under him but that poo poo was not even close to fun.

if you haven't already put it in your chipset, add the highest level of attack heal so you get health while you're hitting during bossfights. deadly heal is better when you're fighting rooms full of enemies.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So I found out a few days ago that you can get free copies of "No One Lives Forever 1& 2" for free since no one knows who actually owns the IP. They've been remastered with slightly better graphics and new netcode for multiplayer. I remember always wanting to play them when they came out but my PC was ancient and by the time I had a decent one I kind of forgot about them, so I was excited for them.

Now I know these are older games with outdate mechanics but I can't really seem to get ahold of how I should play the game. They give you all kinds of cool gadgets that I never seem to need to use. Their is a pretty lengthy stealth tutorial before the game starts but in the actual game I get spotted instantly and aggro every guard in the level. There's no detection meter, you're either completely invisible or everyone in the level can see me. I try and be stealthy but eventually I just end up tripping the alarm 4 or 5 times then just say "gently caress it" and run through the level like it's Quake and just blast everyone away.

The games are still pretty charming and lots of fun, I just feel like I'm playing it wrong by blasting everyone away and not trying to be stealthy at all.

woah. when did this happen?

i've been wanting to play this game for, like, ever.

there are a poo poo ton of game series coming back i wasn't expecting.

did y'all know fear effect was coming back?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I just tried out NOLF and the team did a great job optimizing the game for modern machines.

There's a widescreen patch and it stretches the screen out for monitors. Consequently, you can tell even at the intro that the game was designed with specific aspect ratios in mind and the text is microscopic in menus.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
that sounds bad, but the early part is pretty good. it's going for an austin powers vibe and the tutorial is probably the most newbie friendly i've ever seen in a game.

one of the basic tutorials is to teach you how to skip cutscenes.

and the limited dialog choices actually offer help for new players by calling shots and telling you where enemies appear onscreen.

also, having a physical homebase with a tutorial level designed to teach you how to read signs and navigate in 3d is cool and reminds me of deus ex's tutorials.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

I thought the Fear Effect kickstarter failed and the series was gonna stay dead on the ps1? I loved those games

maybe, i saw a teaser and the animations definitely felt unpolished the way i see some kickstarter projects

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

BioEnchanted posted:

I never play games on hard unless there is a drat good reason to, for example in super-early PS2 game Eve of Extinction, the lore items are dropped by enemies. Playing on hard spawns more enemies, so gives you a chance to get more lore, so that game I'd bother with, but for achievements? Nah. I'm on normal.

jesus christ, you played through eve of extinction?

you are without a doubt the hardest motherfucker i know

gently caress that game and it's early ps2 controls

gently caress that timing puzzle with the dragons that fly in offscreen and push you into a lethal fall

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Len posted:

I remember it being a fun game I don't remember anything else about it beyond it was fun though

it had a really campy style i wanted to get behind, but i remember hitting a brick wall in the form of a timing puzzle where you had to jump up a set of ringed tracks that had these mechanical dragons that would swoop by and knock you off. there were like three or four of them and anything above the first track was instant death.

oh and the dragons underneath you would also kill you.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance was the only game I could remember all the combos for, so I wish there was an option for you to turn on the combo bar they use in loading screens for the entirety of the game (That I actually am complaining about) in Bayonetta. I'm sure I'm not even pulling off an actual combo half the time.

the game's combos are so exhaustive that you'll either end up doing the combo you were looking for or fluke into a brand new one depending on how long you delayed between inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I dunno, there's a lot of... amateurishly bad things in Automata. I love all the character interactions and the game does some unique stuff with the presentation but a lot of the quests and even overworld traversal and fighting are bizarrely bland and devoid of content for a $60 game from a professional director in 2017.

It's little stuff that stands out to me too, like when 2B and 9S are on the roller coaster, their bodies tilt perpendicular to the coaster rather than them adjusting for gravity.

If it weren't for the incredible soundtrack and some really good moments like arriving in the amusement park the game would be a real dud.

the combat's shallow, and i see why since the game's got more emphasis on travelling the open world than other platinum games, but some of the trickier chests require you to know about some advanced jumping moves that you could probably play through the whole game and never learn about.

i love the art direction, but seeing all the industrial environments really early on and then seeing the desaturated bunker make the game feel really washed out.

like playing this game and then playing nier i can see now how much of this game is an extension of nier's content.

Guy Mann posted:

Seeing people defend every criticism of Nier Automata with "it's supposed to be bad" makes me almost long for the days when people just argued that bad Platinum games were because of "the B Team".

does the ninja turtles game fall into that set? i've heard nothing but bad things about it and that sucks because platinum + tmnt is all i would ever want.