Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Got around to Knights of the Old Republic 2 on this forum's recommendation, and so far I'm liking it, except dear lord is the combat music terrible. And it goes on for ages after the fight is over, and before finally fading gives one more blare goodbye. Hopefully it changes after the mining asteroid area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Perestroika posted:

"those guards you're about to murder are like PMCs or some poo poo, they have it coming".

Didn't even Metal Gear Rising take a second between having you hack up PMCs to say, "hey, a lot of these guys are just people who didn't have a lot of other job options"?

Please tell me Watch Dogs is not less thoughtful and nuanced than the game about a cyborg hitting helicopters with a sword.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Alteisen posted:

At least you can miss a few in Drak 1. :colbert:

Least the song's catchy, even though its fused into my brain at this point.

Here's the video, Drakengard 3 spoilers obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6w0Q_vh2BI

Is there a word for watching something and thinking, "Hah, that's total bullshit and I'm glad I'm not the one who had to play it over and over again," then watching the video over and over again just because the music is so cool? I mean, besides "Cavia."

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Esroc posted:

I also have a gripe with Destiny, but the issue is in other MMO's as well. Namely, bare minimum character creation. I'm one of those guys that can happily spend two hours just making a character if the game offers a robust enough creation system. And I've played plenty of MMO's with Elder Scrolls levels of detail tweaking in character creation. So I know it's well within the limits of modern hardware.

City of Heroes had its problems, but by god did it get this right.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

slingshot effect posted:

The thing dragging Inquisition down for me is that despite playing on a huge tv I still can't read half the codex/journal/book/etc flavour text things when they pop up on the screen because the font size is so dang small.

Now and then there's a bit of text that proves that Inquisition is perfectly capable of using a font that's easily readable even on my lovely TV; it just chooses not to.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Kojima: "Here, I've finished the design document for MGS4."

Konami Executive: "This is 'please stop making me make these' written four hundred times in your blood."

Kojima: "There's also a part with robots!"

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

DStecks posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game that meaningfully differentiated between, say, lawful good and chaotic good; or being pragmatically evil vs being psychotically evil. The only one that comes to mind would be Mass Effect, because lawful good -> chaotic good was that game's karma meter.

Planescape Torment's approach is pretty interesting. It keeps track of both good/evil actions and lawful/chaotic ones. So, if you murder and enslave and screw people over but always scrupulously tell the truth, you can end up as Lawful Evil, while being a standup citizen while lying your face off and playing with robot dolls makes you Chaotic Good.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Dragon Age 3 :
Did everyone forget how to cast healing spells in the past 10 years?

I kind of liked that, because it proved that making them endlessly renewable and taking away other options is the only way to break me of the habit of hoarding all my drat potions.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

kazil posted:

One thing that drives me nuts about MGSV is when you extract a person, regardless of their stats, Miller goes "You're going to extract him?"

Could be A+ in every category, that fucker makes it sound like a chore to have him.

Oddly enough, in the Japanese version, the subtitles have it as the same question, but the audio is a more positive, "Roger, we're extracting him."

The NPCs can in fact do their own Pooyan thing and successfully shoot down guys you try to Fulton in their sight. It might have to do with their combat rank, since in the beginning they always failed but later in the game they seem to get a lot better at it.

In other Japan version news, Akio Otsuka's "Yosh, yosh" when petting DD is :3: as hell.

Edit: Crap, got the threads mixed up, thought this was the Little Things one.

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Sep 24, 2015

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

MGS5 has a genuinely saddening lack of man-rear end. Ishmael's butt in the prologue barely counts.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Nuebot posted:

What's really starting to drag MGSV down for me, is ocelot. Why is he acting so out of character all of a sudden? Even in MGS3 he was cocky and acted like, well, a younger version of himself. In 5 he's suddenly Mr. serious straightman and even gets some other guy to do the electro shock torture. It's kind of disappointing.

I like the idea I've heard that he's more sedate because you tranqed him in the head 20 times during the mother base tutorial.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I think they go over why Ocelot is very low key compared to usual. This is a big spoiler for the ending of the game.

The cassette you get after mission 46 includes a conversation between the real Big Boss and Ocelot where the latter reveals that he's going to have to hypnotize himself into forgetting about the real Big Boss in order to help set in the lie for Venom. Despite that, it's very likely that Ocelot still subconsciously knew that something was off and that Venom was not the man he fell in love with back in Tselinoyarsk. I think Code Talker even says it, or at least implies it, that Ocelot is depressed and heartbroken over having to let go of Big Boss.

Yeah, that's a good point. (That big spoiler again): In a game with neurological problems as a running theme, it's possible that, while everybody else is dealing with phantom limb syndrome, Ocelot's having Capgras. Except not really, since he's right.

The thing dragging Metal Gear Solid down is that we can't go back in time to 1998 and tell everybody that the key to the series turns out to be Ocelot being deeply in love.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Pick posted:

Wait, is this one really gay?

Actually slightly less than the usual Metal Gear level. No side missions about gay sex in a box on the beach, but it's basically text as Ocelot's motivation, and he does get a line about being in love with the legend.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Late to Far Cry 5 chat, but the thing that bugged me most in Jacob's kidnapping things was, the first time, when you're running the drug nightmare training course thing, when you finally kill the last guy you get some slow dramatic camera zoom stuff. "Oh," I thought, "it means that was really an ally or somebody important that you got tricked into killing and you get caught up in the momentum and don't realize until it's too late, that's pretty cool."

Except it wasn't, then. That's what happens with the last guy the third time you do the course.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

Disco Elysium has such good, thoughtful writing. I'm so curious about how the reveal of the terrible sad thing that broke the main character's brain will subvert the awful old cliche of it being something like that his wife left him.

It doesn't. It's that his wife left him, and it is played completely straight.

If it was a bad game it wouldn't have been such a bitter disappointment, but everything else is so good that I let myself get my hopes up. I'm surprised it's not more commonly brought up as the game's low point (unless it has been and I just haven't been keeping up with the thread, in which case disregard this message).

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

FFXIV's Bozja storyline not only brings back the bland lady from the Ivalice raids, but hinges the bulk of the emotional stakes on the assumption that you care about her.

Edit: Terrible page snipe. Here's a cat.

Thinky Whale has a new favorite as of 14:39 on May 30, 2021

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All I remember about Legend of Dragoon is it had a remarkably bad translation by PS1 RPG standards, which is loving saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

The main thing I remember from Star Ocean: Til the End of Time was that later game enemies could do MP damage, and when you hit 0 MP you die. Just a confluence of breathtakingly bad ideas.

Oh, and your characters are in fact part of an inworld video game, and when they break out into the real world no one is especially startled by or interested in this.