Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this really counts but it annoys me that Titanfall doesn't have a campaign mode. I rented the game from gamefly without much knowledge outside of "big robots blowing poo poo up" a la Mechwarrior.

My Xbox is banned from Live for some reason (I bought it used and a few months later it was banned without an explanation. I'm assuming it was modded and the guy didn't tell me) so I'm completely unable to play the game.

It's ultimately my fault for not reading more into the game but it's honestly the first game I've ever heard of that's strictly online only with no offline campaign mode. I just wanted to blow stuff up with robots :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

There's not even offline bot murder fun time? gently caress.

No, not on 360 anyway. It literally will not let you do anything until you're logged into Live.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

I wonder how much of people's criticisms about regenerating health is rooted in the awful design decision to mute all sound and fill the screen with pulsing redness when hurt? Not to say the criticisms aren't otherwise warranted.

That would be a big part of mine. I'm playing through Saints Row 4 and they do something similar. Since it takes place in a simulation when you're low on life it makes it look like the simulation is glitching out and turns a shade of green. It's annoying as gently caress.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Speaking of fishing...

HEY JAPAN. WE GET IT. YOUR NATION IS A SERIES OF ISLANDS AND FISHING IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR CULTURE. BUT NOT EVERY GAME NEEDS A loving FISHING MINIGAME. THEY'RE ALWAYS AWFUL.

Look at this screaming idiot that's never played the breath of fire games.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inco posted:

Far Cry 4 has a lot of mechanics, and sometimes these mechanics can interact in ways that totally gently caress up whatever the player was doing for the past half hour.

One of the skill trees has a perk that allows non-stop running. A prerequisite perk lowers falling damage, but to unlock the prerequisite, you need to liberate two outposts undetected. Once you get past the opening cul-de-sac, this becomes more difficult as more enemy types are introduced. That's fine, just have to be more methodical.

So I've hosed up liberating a few undetected, and I was just about to finish the second undetected outpost. The last guy is not far away from a shack, so I climb on the shack, run and jump at him to take him down from above.

Except right before I take him out, Ajay pops his wingsuit because I guess I held shift for a split second too long. I hit the ground and lose half my health, the guy notices me and shoots me. At this point I'm thinking of just giving up on those two skills and liberating every outpost in a hail of bullets and grenades.

Every outpost has a high hill next to it. Get a silence sniper rifle, take out the alarms then take out the soldiers. Even if you don't like being sneaky like that it's the easiest way to take them undetected.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
COD: Advanced Warfare.

Troop leader:
Mitchell, do the thing!
*objective pops up on your display*
Do the thing, Mitchell!
Mitchell, are you paying attention? Do the thing!
Mitchell what are you waiting for?
We need you to do the thing, Mitchell!
Hey Mitchell, where are you at on doing the thing?
Get going Mitchell!

Every five loving seconds SHUT UUUUUUPPPP

I get it when we're standing in a hallway and the objective is like "open the door" but when you're trying to fight your way across a battlefield it's so god drat annoying.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Trailing missions suck especially hard because in all video games ever made your character walks faster than the NPCs walk and runs slower than the NPCs run, so you end up lazing around running in circles waiting for them to move or staggering your walk in a dumb looking way so you don't catch up to them by accident.

RDR did the best with this. When normally walking/riding a horse, you're slower and faster than them, but you can press a button that will force you to keep pace with them. I loved that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've started Borderlands over playing with the Mechromancer. She's a ton of fun to play with except for when she gets shocked/set on fire/burned by acid. God drat the noise she makes is loving awful. She lets out a scream that's like nails on a chalkboard and it seems to go on forever. It's making me wish I'd bought Psycho instead.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Have you consider not getting set on fire because honestly that sounds like something you should avoid.

poo poo I never thought of that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to solo Tiny Tina's DLC and am running into the same problem. I'm a few levels higher than most of the guys I'm facing but they still manage to knock out my shields and get me into Fight mode super easy.

Also whoevers idea it was to put monsters that you can't kill without activating that sword in them should be shot. I've had to respawn in this DLC more than any other part of BL2 because of them. They send out a room full of them to kill you, you enter fight mode and can knock them down but not actually kill them because you can't pull the sword out of their back. It's infuriating.

To make matters worse I'm doing it with Gaige so every time I die I lose all my stacks of Anarchy. I don't think I've gotten any higher than 150 stacks because I lose them to dying.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rick_Hunter posted:

:vince:

I'm gonna chalk this one up to the fact that I haven't played the game in over a year.

I really enjoyed BL1 and 100% the game, but Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot is perhaps the worst and most horribly scaled DLC in the series. After the first round you've seen them all and doing the long challenges for each arena took forever even with a glitched shield. I should have realized this before I bought all the BL2 DLC.

There's apparently one in Tiny Tina's DLC as well. I just got one shot by a dragon 5 levels below me. I don't think I'm gonna make it through the arena thing anytime soon.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You guys complaining about BL2 and their lack of good weapons - did you never use the golden keys/chest? There are easy to find lists online with still active codes that can net you over 100 keys really easily.

I never had a problem with guns/shields/grenades/add-ons because I would just get new ones using this every 10 levels or so.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kruller posted:

It's Longinus' lips that do it for me. They're gross, and he's always so loving close to the camera. Honestly, most of the side characters need to shut the gently caress up and let me get back to shooting things in the dick. Except Pagan. He's awesome.

I really wish there was a third option where you become bros with Pagan and he's like "hey will you go gently caress up these rear end in a top hat that are tearing my country up?" In a continuation of the hidden ending.

That'd be pretty rad.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait you can take the baby out into the wasteland??

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DStecks posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Tomb Raider is the goriest game I've ever played, or at least the most brutally violent. Lots of games have giblets and silly 1980's action gore, but every 60 seconds something happens in Tomb Raider that will make you wince.

Don't gently caress up going down the water slide thing. That grossed me the hell out when she got impaled on a tree through the bottom of her jaw.

http://youtu.be/byOsEnC_S8Y maybe not work safe

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc&t=358s
Should automatically start about 6 minutes in.

Alright that was hilarious

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

And second are there any RPGs that do the dual-hero attacks like in chrono trigger? Where two people can wait and then take a turn together to kick tons of rear end?

All of the Suikodens are like this.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Screaming Idiot posted:

Wind Waker was okay, but I never got into Zelda games and the whole thing was just too tedious. Sailing was dull, the "stealth" missions were grating, and it felt like there was too much filler between the good parts. Vietwiful Joe took the cel-shading to a higher level -- the game looked and felt like a comic book movie. It still looks pretty good, even almost a decade later.

Stay away from the sequels, though. Viewtiful Joe 2 was a pale imitation of the original and all the other games were just loving awful. The Smash Brothers knockoff was easily the worst fighter I've ever played.

Does Afro Samurai count as Cel Shading? That game was beautiful.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Extremely minor nitpick but I'm trying FFXV again and there's a lot of moaning and grunting when you're hanging out. I think they were trying to fill the dead air from when you're running on foot after something but it just makes it worse when everyone is going "hmmm" "ah!" "mhmm" all the time.

I played through Borderlands 3 as Fl4k and just started a new game as Amara. She does this, panting heavily when running and when you stop running there's a few seconds of her making noise to catch her breath. It's pretty distracting.

"Fl4k didn't make these noises!" I say

Fl4k is a robot

:ughh:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wafflemoose posted:

Borderlands 3 being an Epic Games Exclusive is dragging me down. I really want to play it but I've heard so many bad things about EGS.

Playing on console but I’ve read that the only time you actually have to use the Epic program is to download the game. You can boot directly into the game without needing Epic every time after that.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

My main issue with achievements is a really lame one: I get annoyed when I do something cool in a game and there isn’t an achievement for it. I should have gotten a Watch Dogs 2 achievement for attacking a dog-fighting ring run by an enemy gang and then killing the gang’s leader by knocking him into the pit to be eaten by the dogs, drat it

In Assassins Creed: Odyssey, there’s a quest that has this lady wind up being a huge pain in the rear end to the point you just hate her. As the quest ends they have her standing on the edge of a cliff in perfect position to boot her off the cliff.

Was disappointed there was no achievement for that one.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

Don’t worry, with everyone now going outside without masks, we’ll likely be quarantined again for July.

I just wanna say I'm way behind on this thread but came across this post and it made me wanna cry.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Speaking of the Odyssey DLC, I just hit halfway through the first and thought 'I imagine anyone non-hetero who has been enjoying their big gay / bi himbo / himbette game was pretty pissed at this point', looked it up and hoo boy was I on the money; apparently this is the fixed version as well, the original release was even more tone deaf.

Spoilers Your character, even if you don't romance the (in the case of it being a guy for Kass at least) exceedingly drippy companion and rebuff them at every turn you still end up having a baby with them, and originally this 'mission' was called 'Growing Up'; the patch changes the mission title and a few dialogue box choices to 'I only did it to further the bloodline' etc but still, ouch

actually question about that If you're playing as the male character I assume there's a female version of the dude whose name I cant remember?

That's also pretty telling with how bad that storyline is. Gun to my head I could not remember that guys name but I can remember Shani from Witcher 3 and they probably have even game time.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Dec 2, 2020

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The new Fenyx DLC is just a bunch of puzzle trials. These were my least favorite part of the game because they’re not particularly difficult, just tedious.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

That's good to know, I've been complaining about some of them. There's a lot of good ones, but a fair number that are either just tedious or take a neat concept a step or two too far into annoyingness. Seems like a gamble to pay for more of them.

I’m not even sure what the end game is. The point is you do trials to gain each of the god’s favor and get a fourth blessing from each of them, with the final goal to be invited to the pantheon of the gods. Except they already Max out all your stats and give you OP armor/weapons. So like...what’s the point?

I’ve only done Athena’s so far and there were like 8 trials to get hers. All puzzle.

So I go to Ares’ thinking it would at least change it to battles and nope, more puzzles. He even comments on it being puzzles and not battles.

I may just stop here because they’re not fun. Hopefully the next DLCs are more entertaining.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Didn't the Dark Aeons exist in the original version of the Japanese release? I thought they were just added to the remaster because of that

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah yeah that's what it was, thanks

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fictional guns aside I don’t know why they don’t just record the actual guns firing and use that sound

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The journal/quest guide in Mass Effect 3 is dumb garbage. It was perfect in 1 and 2, why would you gently caress it up like that?

Journal: Hey you overheard some rear end in a top hat in the Citadel talking about a thing, see if you can get one for him
Me: Cool, where should I look?
Journal: Lol idk gently caress you

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

And if you want to buy 2 or 3 health/stamina upgrades at once because you went way too long between returning to the base and have heart pieces out the ears suddenly, you have to go through 2 or 3 upgrade cutscenes in a row.

I can’t remember which button it is but you can definitely jump through these. On PS4 I think it’s O button, I usually just mashed it a few times and it skipped through

Also I don’t remember it showing a cutscene for ever upgrade, just the most recent one, like if you’re upgrading weapons and stuff, whatever you did last would show in the cutscene and that was it.

e: I think it’s that you have to hit the button several times because the cutscene is actually made up of a couple different vids, each a couple seconds long so if you only hit it once, it’ll skip to the next part of the total scene and keep playing. That probably doesn’t make any sense

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 17:48 on Aug 1, 2021

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I played through the ME trilogy and am now doing ME:A. It has its share of problems but one thing that drives me up a wall is dialogue when you’re speaking with someone.

The game will make your party/whoever you’re talking to sound further away if they’re far away from you. It’s a neat addition when you don’t think about it too much. The problem becomes when you run up to someone and start talking to them your party members freeze in place (even though you can’t see them most of the time). If you’ve run up to someone and your party is far behind you? Tough poo poo good luck hearing them. They sound far away so it’s hard as hell to hear them if you even can at all. I started playing with subtitles specifically for this reason.

I don’t know why they didn’t have it to where they just snap to your location or keep moving until they’re next to you even if the conversation has started but it’s annoying as hell. Or hell, just make all spoken dialogue the same volume as you/the person you’re talking to regardless of distance.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

I know it's a cliche that gets said over and over and over again but there may not be anything worse in the wide world of gaming than when an Assassin's Creed game makes you stop having fun so that you can do stuff in the present day with Abstergo and the animus and etc.

It's happened in every AC that I've played that I've completely forgotten about the present day stuff and I hit a wall where it makes me get out of the animus and it takes me a couple beats to realize what's happening.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

And you've completely forgotten who these present day characters are or what they're doing, you don't care about them at all, and it's like okay what conversation option do I have to choose or what interaction prompt do I have to find for the game to let me go back to Ancient Greece.

The only time I've found myself interested in the present time stuff was the first couple games because it was actually interesting before it went completely off the rails. The other time was the end of Valhalla.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frank Frank posted:

The ending of horizon zero Dawn was kinda lame. Lame final boss - same enemy you’ve already fought half a dozen times. Ending was predictable and parts of it didn’t make sense:

like the perfectly preserved corpse of Elizabet Sobeck which has been lying outside for centuries and somehow wasn’t consumed by the machine plague that ate literally everything else

Was it her actual body or just the leftover armor she was wearing, which was I think the same OP armor you can get near end game? I haven’t played it in a long while (which I should go through again before 2 comes out)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

THat's something I'm hating about the game too. Also I'm mostly picking missions based on what seems the least pain in the rear end, like seizing the opium farm instead of burning it because it's just easier.

I Burned it and was super disappointed that it didn't play out like FC3's weed farm

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

I'm playing AC Origins and the horseback combat sucks. It always devolves into you and the enemy chasing each other in a tight circle until you get close enough to hit each other

It’s the same in Valhalla and half the time someone in the ground will knock you on your rear end. Or maybe I’m just not good at horse combat

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

I started up Immortals: Fenyx Rising last night and had the exact same experience. The game starts by saying you were a simple shield bearer who had never seen combat, but your combat animations have you flipping all over the place and behaving like you’ve been in fights all your life.

They don’t do anything interesting with this rookie background too, so nothing would have been really lost if you were just a normal soldier.

For what it's worth, that is explained later in the game - keep going, I really enjoyed it!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Far Cry 6: for someone who was supposed to be in the army and be this big badass the main character can’t run for poo poo and has zero stamina.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn’t it either GTA or Saints row or one like it where when you started out your stamina wasn’t great but the more you rub around the better it gets and it finally gets to a point where you just never run out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FC6: auto-climb on ladders loving suuuuucks

There’s been so many times I’ve been running around on a rooftop shooting at guys or whatever and then I have to sit through the “climb on the ladder” animation and then again the “climb off the ladder” animation and it’s annoying as hell.

I looked in the options and even though they have them for a million things I can’t find anything for the ladder