Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One big design decision in combat for Marvel's Spider-Man is that there is a difference between trying to move out of the way and actual Dodging and often only the capital-D Dodging works (pressing Circle). So let's say a sniper has a bead on you and just before he takes the shot you cartwheel to the left a few feet. Now say instead of the cartwheel you launch yourself fifty feet straight up into the air so fast it's like being shot out of a cannon. In which scenario would you expect the sniper to be able to perfectly track your speed and trajectory and shoot you? The answer may surprise you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't like the Mold Room in Control. It's a huge pain in the rear end and there isn't a control point so you have to go all the way down again from Central Research if you die.

What powers do you have?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

I have Lightbox, Floppy Disc, Carousel horse, Safe I'm guessing I'll need a few more powers.

You couldn't have just given me the names of the powers, ugh now I gotta look them up again. (I kid). Since you have Evade, you can Evade when falling to cancel any momentum you have so you can fall a long distance but Evade near the bottom and you don't die. It's risky but I did it plenty of times to get down to the Mold area from Central Research using that one long vertical shaft. As NoEyedSquareGuy points out though, there's another option as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gerblyn posted:

Also the boss is in the air, so you constantly have to look upwards to see what he's doing, so you can't look at the ground to see where you're going

While I didn't notice it, apparently holes in that platform had shafts of light shining up out of them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Len posted:

Why doesn't Mold-1 drop health? Who decided this was good design?

It can drop health but you have to get in close to its body to retrieve it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Might be able to get it if you levitate?

I didn't end up getting any health drops, only heard about it later. My strategy for the fight was to do it as fast as possible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DBZF is great for inputs because of the accessibility and conformity but nothing in the training prepares for online play, which is Whoever Does the First 1,000 Hit Combo Wins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

A general thing that I always dread in Nintendo platformers - does anyone else hate Boo Houses in the Mario franchise? They always have a massive difficulty spike due to annoying enemies and sometimes confusing puzzles that make you take far too long to get through the level.

The auto scrollers annoyed me more. Just doesn't feel as Mario to me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

That's actually one thing that Rockstar does well, and particularly in regards with San Andreas. There was no skill tree or points. You just automatically got better at the things you were doing the most of. If you for example preferred shooting with sawed off shotguns you got better the more you did it until you could dual wield them. If you ran a lot you stamina automatically increased and so on.

Sunswipe posted:

Gotta disagree with that. One of my main memories of San Andreas was having to go and swim around an island for half an hour because a mission was locked off until my swimming skill was high enough, even though there'd been no need to swim so far. SA was where the series really started going downhill.

I think both of these posts are right. The overall system worked well but the fatal flaw was a situation like that swimming mission.

A better system for true experience-based skills is to group things together instead of fragmenting them so much. Fitness instead of running and swimming, marksmanship instead of pistol aiming and shotgun aiming, etc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Although it would be funny if the next Zelda game had its main enemy be a giant pig but not Ganon. Just a regular farmhouse pig scaled up to be a Shadow of the Colossus final boss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

Breath of the Wild, duh. You activate 4 giant mechs :v:

MegaZeldon Vs GigaGanon

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

oldpainless posted:

There’s no sneak button in the ps4 Spider-Man game and it really bothers me. It is legitimately the most annoying thing I’ve had to deal with in the last 3 months.

Aside from animating his walk differently what do you want the sneak button to actually do? The stealth in the game is already so forgiving. You can leap and flip behind a guy and take him down without him hearing you. The enemies are also half-blind.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Let you sneak past the non-spiderman sequences, imo

They were fine the first time but they are kind of annoying on any other playthroughs. Although I still do think that Rhino stealth section as Miles is pretty awesome.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The number of transition cutscenes for basic stuff on Death Stranding is kind of insane. Whenever you are at a facility the game basically becomes a series of menu options and there are so many of these little animations and scenes to skip through. If you recycle something, go to your private room, use the garage, make a delivery, take an order, etc. there's something you have to skip through before you can do the next thing.

And for a game all about managing weight, it sure doesn't like to tell you how much weight things can hold. It's trial and error.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Necrothatcher posted:

If you're talking about vehicles there are weight indicators on the vehicles themselves.

Thank you, but the visual indicators are only on some vehicles, and that's still trial and error. The indicators also don't mean anything when trying to load onto a vehicle from a menu. Same goes for floating carriers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

Vehicles aren't limited by weight, only by space, that's why they don't give you a number. Trucks hold 28 XL slots, bikes hold six medium slots (or two XL). On bikes you can just straight-up see how much room they have on the sides. On trucks you can tell how close you are not just by the lights on the back, but the glowing image of the cargo inside the thing in the menu. Closer to the back = closer to the limit. Two XL containers' worth of space = one light on the back of the truck.

For floating carriers it is a bit of a bummer you can't see their current weight, but their max is static (300 for lvl 1, 600 for lvl 2) so at least you can fudge it a bit with some quick maths. They hold a maximum of 6 XL containers.

edit:

And if you're having trouble seeing if you will have physical space while taking on orders, the game tells you in the bottom right corner how many boxes you're accepting:

The relevant numbers will be red if you don't have enough physical room for them.

It would be nice if the game told you these things but for some reason it doesn't, even with all the tutorials they feed you at the start.

Thanks for the info. I have seen people say elsewhere how it's less about weight and more about space but finding and remembering this stuff is the trick. I've used the Level 1 floating container enough times that I know it can do 300 but would anyone have complained if all this stuff was there for the player to see easily? Like I should just print out your post and stick it to my TV.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dienes posted:

Compared to the God of War solution that has you literally running in circles in a shapeless dark void to 'mask' load times, this is nothing.

The annoying part of that is it's forced on the player so the creative vision of one unbroken camera shot can be maintained. An ambitious idea that would have been better saved for the PS5.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Animal Crossing sounds like it's built to make libertarians out of its players. I picture a few more instances of this:

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Residents are saying there's too much junk lying around"

That junk is my turnips, which happen to be driving the island's economy and renovation, as opposed to the 1/50 of a single bridge you ingrates would fund in a year :colbert:

and the player will go full John Galt.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alhazred posted:

I think it's really annoying that your pelts vanish when you die in RDR2.

I guess the resurrection spell cast on you also works for the animals.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Probably didn't seem as crazy for people who bought it five years ago and then got some/all of the DLC as time went on but yeah, $200 in one shot if you wanted everything in one package is a lot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does Skylines use the same method as Sim City where you put down zones? Or have mixed-use zoning/buildings? The thing that always nagged at me with Sim City was this basic building block of defined zones that does not fit with how any city I've been to was built or defined. Like a 1960s North American idea of how a city works.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dr Christmas posted:

The Batman Arkham games have anything that gives XP restore health, and since XP is doled out at the end of encounters, so that is usually what ends up happening. Small numbers of mooks in between "encounters" give less XP and therefore less health, so you won't always be back to full. If you're outdoors, what gets counted as an encounter is more ambiguous.

If you're hurt by an environmental hazard or something or come out of an encounter hurt, you'll have to find some guys to beat up without taking hits yourself or a Riddler trophy, which give a hefty XP boost and therefore health.

Unless there's a nearby Riddler trophy, there's no way to heal in combat. Or you can always just die or reload a checkpoint and be back at full health.

I tihnk Spider-Man's system works pretty well where you have to earn your health by landing hits or webswinging around the city but the resource used to heal (Focus) is also what you need to be able to do Finishers on enemies and Focus build-up increases your damage so there's a three-way trade-off of what to use your Focus for.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BioEnchanted posted:

That's pretty close to Hollow Knight's method too where your magic meter is what you use to throw energy balls at enemies but also the pool you can draw more health from.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea because the resource is always useful. If you need to heal, great. If you don't then you have this power to draw from to do cool/better attacks.

The sound effect for healing is a little off-putting in Spider-Man, though. Based on the sound the healing is not an abstract videogame concept of somehow getting better but something like an injection, as if Spider-Man is actually being healed in the fight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

The impact of your hits don't sound very good though. It's way less satisfying than listening to a punching bag getting hit which is such a shame.

Huh, never really noticed it except for fighting Sable agents. Because they're armored the sound of hitting them is so dead and wimpy. I don't mind that they take extra hits, it's the sound that makes it annoying to fight them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

I also just like it less than I did Batman Arkham's system. I dunno, Spider-Man's just not as interesting to watch fight or something. Maybe it just needed combo takedowns like that one too rather than just the single finisher.

Anyway, I'm sure the second one will be super great to contrast that.

It's funny because Insomniac's Spider-Man is clearly a descendant of the other Spider-Man games before it, including ones that had some decidedly Arkham influences, but I get the sense Insomniac really wanted to shy away from Arkham. Nobody cared about previous Spider-Man games using Arkham stuff because nobody cared about previous Spider-Man games but this one was super high profile so I gather they wanted it to make it on its own steam as much as possible. Even when some mechanics clearly were perfectly suited for both heroes.

Fair point about it not being as interesting to watch. I have a voracious appetite for combat videos for that game and I have to admit most of them are from close to the game's release where people rushed to get views and hadn't even earned all the skills and gadgets to be able to show off everything. Or they're people who do the same air combo over and over. If you're ever interested, my take on the combat is under VonZuben on YouTube.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Death Stranding ends in so many small cutscenes that tie into one huge overall chunk of story at the end of the game and it'd be fine if I could just let the game run and watch it at my leisure on YouTube later but it requires so many inputs from the player that you're forced to be an active part. Especially the credits, which are several segments of endless running to nowhere. Honestly unbelievable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's why you let CJacobs play it for you!

The game part is mostly really good. But unfortunately there are lots offff

*studio audience in unison*
"Little! Things! Dragging This Game Downnn!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is the greatest beatemup to come out in recent memory, and most of the time it strikes a good balance between challenging and fair. But man oh man, Y Tower (Chapter 9) on Mania is some of the most insane bullshit ever.

[...]

Other stages on Mania are hard, but this was on a whole other level. It probably took me at least 200 attempts because you have to be almost perfect and there are SO many things that can instantly wipe you, most of which are beyond your control. The good news is that if you can beat Chapter 9, the rest of Mania will seem like a breeze.

How long is the level? Like how much time does each attempt take usually?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A "jutting cro magnon jawline"? I think the dude just has an underbite, drat.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Regardless of the character, the forestry aspect of AC3 was underwhelming. After the incredible cities of the Ezio games I could not give two shits about ye olde Boston or wherever so I wanted to be in the forest more but the tree canopy and network of branches was not nearly as comprehensive as I expected. Seems like I spent more time in the forest hunting than fighting enemies.

Speaking of, was that the first AC game that had hunting? Finding and killing animals has been one of my least favourite gameplay elements of the series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really loved SimTower when I was younger but thinking about it it really is a strange game. SimCity makes a certain conceptual sense for how a city could be built and developed but no skyscraper would ever grow like that!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Adding a floor and an elevator to an occupied skyscraper is insane if you think about it even medium-hard.

You don't want to tear down that first fast food restaurant you built. That Burger King is like Atlas holding up the world.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cleretic posted:

This happened a lot in early HD gaming, I think Dead Rising most famously; way-too-tiny text sizes, in part because HD gaming was so new at the time that they just didn't know how big the text should be, so they defaulted to 'looks good on our machines'.

Any green office intern making a PowerPoint presentation: oh man if this isn't legible I am in shiiiiiiiit

Any experienced developer company spending tens of millions on a videogame: oh man if this isn't legible I don't give a shiiiiiiit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Qwezz posted:

I had a showerthought the other day about a system where you could let others take over your game for a bit.
Like you are stuck on a boss or have really mismanaged your equipment setup or something. You can invite someone into your game and they take over control to tackle the boss or manage your items/equipment/talents.
There would be people who specialize in a certain game and know their poo poo and lend a hand to people who have no clue wtf they're doing. They could even charge you for it like 1 'sony dollar' to kill a boss. Or 2 'Sony dollars' per 5mins handling your gear/setup.

Hiring a dude to come over and have his way with your

least favourite videogame boss.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dragon Age had three games but it never did find it's footing. The first game took too long to make, the second was cramped into a short schedule, and the third had its lunch eaten by the Witcher.

Also near everyone in Inquisition is loving ugly. I look back on Vagrant Story and FFXII and really wish we could get more of those painterly character-models.

Never played Origins but 2 and 3 have a soft spot in my heart. Maybe mostly because of the team AI programming that I will always miss in any game with companions.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Death Stranding has completely spoiled me for traversal in open world games (even though Death Stranding itself was one only very nominally). Movement needs to be either even simpler than "push direction and hold X" - like RDR 2 and GTA V might as well just make their extended travel dialogues into cutscenes and get us some visual direction - , or a challenge in itself.

Somehow it's horses in particular that grind my gears. Whether it's in RDR or Breath of the Wild, on foot you're slow and plodding but with the horse it feels like the game makes you get off every ten seconds to chase a map blip, collectable or crafting ingredient, and the mounting/dismounting animations are just that tad too slow so it feels like you'd altogether be faster on foot.

Shadow of the Colossus is the only good horse traversal game I can name off-hand, but it's hardly open world and the horse traversal serves a very different purpose (but still commonly gets judged by open world game standards).

Death Stranding has the perfect combo of animations for picking stuff up off the ground. When it's cargo it has a real animation where your hands go down and pick up the container because that matters but when it's just some collectible you do that swipe of the arm at nothing in particular so you can be running past and collecting without interrupting your stride.

Where it fails though is where most games fail, in not letting you nab collectible stuff off the ground or interact without dismounting whatever you're riding. Like goddamn, just let me bend down from my motorcycle or horse or robo-tiger or whatever and let me grab the thing. Better yet, just pretend I did and automatically sweep it up if I pass over it. Would anyone in the world be like "boooo my immersion! I want to see my character prune that plant's leaves!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Have you ever met a gamer

Maybe? What do they look like?

Samuringa posted:

I've just started playing some days ago and began running into this issue. My delivery speed is fantastic now but it's painful to cruise around seeing all those random boxes and chiral crystals and having to leave it all behind.

I usually didn't have a problem with lack of crystals. Kill some BTs here and there, claim materials from facilities, grab some on the ground every now and then. But yeah, grabbing them from the trike would have been so much better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure why the lock-on in FF7R can't keep the camera also locked on if you decide to use the d-pad to switch targets instead of the right stick. It's a control scheme choice that also affects the function and it's strange.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

FF7R's combat director was the lead game designer of Monster Hunter World- the alternate lock-on control (d-pad to swap, hard lock-on doesn't lock the camera) is lifted directly from that game. The weird thing is that Monster Hunter World DOES offer that as an option, with FF7R's alt mode being that game's third option.

I didn't even notice it as a problem until I fought the Wrath Hound and it took all my effort just to keep an eye on it in battle while also dodging. So I switched back to the default camera setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

some of the newer jackbox games definitely go overboard on the zany clips, jokes, transitions etc. The version of You Don't Know Jack in Jackbox 5 is the worst offender I think

I think the only game out of the different Jackbox packs where we care about hearing the game audio is the trivia murder one. That tends to have a lot of explanation. The rest we turn it off and don't miss a beat.