Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I am looking for some 1080 WiFi outdoor cameras to use with Blue Iris on my PC (or a dedicated PC, if I end up putting one together due to performance issues). My only other requirement is that I can lower the framerate down to like 1-4 FPS (so that the wifi doesn't get overrun with data).

I am looking at the Amcrest ProHD Outdoor 1080p wireless IP camera, but I wanted to check and see if anyone has a better recommendation. Cost is not really an issue - I would pay more for a camera that should be significantly better.

Does anyone have any other cameras they would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Funny, I've had a Synology NAS for five years and it's been rock solid. It updates itself, nothing has ever broken, and all the add-on packages I've used have worked just fine. I just replaced the 4 3TB drives I had in there with 6TB ones and the transition went smooth as butter.

I've been thinking of buying a second one to use Surveillance Station so I'd also like to know if anyone here has any specific experience with it.

I have had a DS1812+ for a long time, and I just bought a DS2415+ to essentially replace it. I am a programmer/engineer with a lot of Linux experience, ranging from perl/mysql to all the boring server daemons and firewall stuff. I have a house with 10 cameras running at 20FPS/4MP and I briefly considered using the Synology to manage the cameras, but ultimately did not. So with that in mind, here are my thoughts.

1. I really like Synology products for giving me a nice, big raid array that I use as network storage. When using them as intended, they work well and I have also never had a problem. However, I never upgraded past DSM 4.3 because I know a ton of people had a ton of issues with version 5 - my new DSM has version 6 on it already, so I think I avoided the train wreck that was 5 entirely. I think if you keep it simple and avoid any of the fancier stuff, it is a very nice way to get a nicely managed RAID array in a relatively compact, low power box.

2. This thing is not even close to a replacement for a Linux server. The packages are limited, they have awkward and incomplete interfaces, they lack normal updates. I tried to bootstrap some packages using ipkg one time on the 1812 and it ultimately crashed my volume. I would never try to do that again, because even if it worked it's still a junky and incomplete "distribution". It's nice that I can install Perl and at least execute some simple scripts on the machine, but I would never try to use it as a replacement for an apache/mysql server.

3. I chose to use Blue Iris and a PC to run my cameras. I built a computer with an I7-4790 3.6Ghz CPU, and the cameras eat about 40% of that processor constantly. There is no way the Synology processor could handle that. On top of that, video writes a ton of data to drives and in my opinion I'd rather use a dedicated throwaway disk on a separate computer to churn the video instead of constantly recording to my raid array. My video is about 6tb per week - I think it's a big disadvantage to write that much junk data to my nice raid array. I also believe the Synology camera licenses are relatively expensive. For my setup, I bought a $500 dedicated computer and a $60 copy of Blue Iris and it really is an awesome setup. If you only have a few cameras and you already have a fast computer (I still use the one I built in 2008 because I'm an old crank and hate upgrading), you wouldn't even need to buy a dedicated computer. Just install Blue Iris on your PC and let it run in the background.

4. Awhile ago, they took away the ability to transcode video from their media server and it pissed off a lot of people. I think the new servers have Plex available as an app, but I haven't looked at it and I'm not sure the processor would be good enough to handle HD video. I honestly don't know though, I haven't gotten that far setting up the one one yet.

5. I would never let Synology update my array automatically. They have pushed out plenty of buggy updates in the past and it's hard to tell exactly what they screw up until it's too late if you auto update.

TLDR: I suggest is that you check out Blue Iris as a better surveillance solution, and I wouldn't count on Synology to act as a replacement for an actual Linux server.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

CopperHound posted:

What resolution cameras are you using? Is the PC monitoring them all at once?

I use BlueIris to record 10 hikvision 4MP cameras continuously - mostly at 8mbit/s but a couple are higher. BI continuously uses about 50% of an Intel I7-4790 processor, and storage requirements are about 800GB / day.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Did you enable hardware acceleration in BI? I have 5 3mp cameras on an 4770 and CPU usage is around 10% recording continuously.

Yes it looks like it is enabled. Options->Cameras->Intel HD hardware acceleration is set to Yes, and each camera is set to "Use Default". I also have direct to disk enabled for each camera.

I think the bitrate and frame rate has a lot to do with it.. between all the cameras I am recording 200 fps and a total of 92mbit/second. Are you doing 20fps/8mbit on each of your cameras?

I also throttled the CPU to 90% in power management, and I'm not running BI in service mode. I'm not sure how much the service mode affects it, but obviously the CPU throttling does - but now it sits at 55C instead of 70C and I wasn't using the excess anyway.

Edit to add: it also looks like 50% is really only true when I am looking at the web interface over the LAN, using that nice custom web UI2 the one guy made that you can download. It's pulling a high res jpeg at like 8fps. When I'm just logged in to the computer that runs it and there are no clients connected, it seems to be more like 35-40% CPU.

Droo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 5, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

bobfather posted:

I just rolled out 20 cameras at work, and I used mainly Hikvision cube cameras along with Netgear POE switches. Mainly the JGS516PEs and JGS524PEs, but also 1 GS108PE that works really well. All of the switches can do VLAN tagging either by port or 802.1Q, so they should work with just about any router that supports VLANs.

I also use the Netgear ProSAFE PoE switches and they work OK, but one word of caution is that you can't remotely "reboot" a PoE device that is plugged into it by cutting power to it temporarily. Even if you force a firmware upgrade, or reboot the whole switch - it maintains power to the device through all of it.

I had a camera that would occasionally freeze up and there was nothing I could do except physically unplug it for a few seconds from the switch. Ended up replacing the defective camera and everything has been fine since then, but it was annoying that there was literally no possible way to cut power to it remotely. Fully managed switches would have been able to do that, but they cost a lot more.

Edit: they also don't do true link aggregation, but they have a fake version of it they use to talk to eachother so it kind of SEEMS like they do it if you don't read too closely before you buy it.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

stevewm posted:

I have several of those switches (unfortunately) with PoE cameras, and there is in fact a way to cut power through the admin interface.

On the PoE port settings tab (the one that shows power consumption) each port has a "Admin" setting. Why it is called this I have no idea, but this is actually the PoE power control. If you disable "admin" on a port, it cuts PoE power to it.

Thanks, but I don't have a PoE tab at all. I have two of these switches - one is a GS108PEv3 with firmware 2.00.08, and the other is a JGS524PE with firmware 2.0.1.26. Which exact model do you have?

This is what my web interface looks like. Is it in there somewhere and I just can't find? I tried the desktop app once and it looked identical to the web interface, no extra options.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Leal posted:

I'm thinking something at $250 max, cash is rather tight at the moment.

You can get a 4K hikvision camera, a small PoE router, and Blue Iris for just about $250 if you already have a PC you leave on 24/7 - it would be a good way to start while leaving room to expand to 4/8 cameras in the future.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Keystoned posted:

Ive asked before about a garage opener that works with both alexa and homekit. Chamberlain was supposed to release a smart hub on July 31 that did exactly that, but after that date passed it dropped off their website and I cant fond anything. Anyone have any ideas?

To clarify im not talking about the bridge which is supposed to add homekit to your existing myq enabled opener. This was supposed to be a standalone product that both gave you control over the garage door via app and was also compatible out of the bix with homekit. Am I crazy?

Is there an Alexa product that gives you basic low voltage relays to talk to? I soldered a couple wires to an extra wireless garage door opener (like what you put in your car) and my alarm panel has a relay output that activates and it's like I pushed the button on the remote.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Is it good enough to make sure you get a Hikvision camera that has a "Western Region" serial number? Or is there even more detail you have to have to make sure it's an upgradeable version? For example on of my cameras has a serial XC-2042WD-I20151019BBWR54xxxxxx, so I thought it was good. But I've never actually tried to update the firmware, I just block all incoming and outgoing traffic to it and use Blue Iris.

For the guy looking for cameras, if the serial number "WR" is good enough then you can usually find specific Amazon sellers that say they sell the western region versions, and presumably return it if it turns out they lied to you. If someone chimes in to say that I'm wrong and it's not good enough then ignore this post though.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Each, or total? If the former, we gotta be looking at different B&H.com websites, because that’s about all I see... :raise:

All the ones I see on B&H are over $200 except like two for just under.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...rt&N=3880127377

For what it's worth I ordered a bunch of cameras from Nelly's Security and got all western region cameras with a theoretical 3 year warranty. I had an issue with 1 camera though and they jerked me around on a warranty replacement so I don't know that I would recommend them. It was a hard to identify issue (camera froze randomly maybe once a week and had to be unplugged to reboot) and I did get them to credit me 75% back, but still - I ordered 9 loving cameras from them and they couldn't just replace the 1 in good faith?

Droo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 15, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Tapedump posted:

I feel better now. Kind of.

Me too, I was looking for a couple 2.8mm bullet cameras which are tricky to find, it's nice to know that B&H has good secret prices for those since they have a huge selection of different varieties.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

I don’t understand why anyone would need multiple sensors if you’ve only got one HVAC unit. You’re not getting more granular control without active dampers.

I could see it being kind of nice to have the fan turn on for 20 minutes if you detect a temperature difference greater than 2 degrees between any of your different sensors, especially if you have a multi story house that isn't the best at keeping an even temperature between levels.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

HycoCam posted:

What am I missing about the NEST cameras that makes them so popular?

I honestly think it's because they are shiny and come in fancy packaging like iPhones.

Personally OP, if you already have a desktop computer that you can leave on 24/7 I suggest a combination of Hikvision cameras (I think B&H Photo is the safe place to order them from), a new PoE network switch, and Blue Iris software.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

It’s also because you don’t need to buy an NVR or set up POE switch and cabling or so forth.

They are wifi and battery operated? How long can batteries possibly last in a camera?

Edit: I guess I've seen some of those setups where they have a wall wart and a cable run 10 feet up the wall to the camera. I didn't realize anyone actually preferred that over PoE, I just assumed they didn't know any better.

Droo fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 11, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

bobfather posted:

Do people really just rely on voice-activating their lights or using their phones, or even (gasp) using physical switches?

In the world of contact and motion sensors and rule engines for IoT devices, my whole apartment is on complete autopilot. I usually just have to ask Alexa or access HomeKit to toggle the odd light that fails to power on/off according to the sensor it's attached to.

What if you... don't... want a light on?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

apropos man posted:

Noob question:

The Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I comes in three different lens sizes on eBay: 4mm, 6mm and 12mm.

In what way does lens size affect the picture that's returned?

A smaller lens has a bigger field of view. https://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Security-Camera-Lens-Comparison-s/90.htm (ignore the first two comparisons and scroll down to the HD Security Camera Lens Comparison section).

You will probably want the 4mm lens. Some Hikvisions are available with a 2.8mm lens also, if you want an even wider field of view.

Droo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 1, 2018

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Orty posted:

Building a house and will have the walls open for the perfect opportunity to put whatever wires I need in. Ill be putting the standard few ports per room with extras in areas with computers or TVs. Ill be doing one in a central ceiling for an AP and one to the doorbell. I want to do some for POE IP cameras but not sure how much to do and where. Was thinking a couple Ethernet cables to each corner of the house and maybe a couple to the entryway for the cameras. Does that sound like it would be enough for cameras? Any other spots I should stick Ethernet cables while its easy?

Suggestions for POE IP cameras? Was leaning on doing Ubiquiti cameras. Have a Synology NAS that I will be using as an NVR.

Looks like the only POE doorbells that I can find are the expensive Ring Elite and DoorBird, any other options? Looking for something with POE, local storage, no subscriptions.

Anything else I should run while the walls are open? Don't plan on doing speakers or anything like that.

For the cameras I would pick 9 good spots even if you don't want to buy 9 cameras now, because that's a good screen to look at on your phone/PC (3x3). I recommend Blue Iris on a PC over Synology for your NVR. As for brands I don't know much about Ubiquiti but when I bought cameras a few years ago I settled on Hikvision cameras for about $150 each and they have been outside in the desert sun for 3 years now and they are all still fine.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Orty posted:

Any particular reason to go for a dedicated machine for it?

I think Synology charges $50 per camera you attach to it (and they have like 4 kinds of license depending on what kind of camera you have which I find ridiculous). Blue Iris is cheap and kind of amazing and can just run on your PC in the background. I don't know what kind of functionality surveillance station offers but I imagine it can't handle real time motion sensing algorithms and other high-CPU stuff like that, the synology boxes just don't have enough power to do that.

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-Camera-License-Pack-CLP1/dp/B001MJ0JAO

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Medullah posted:

I'm buying a new house, currently using a couple of cheap Foscams with Blue Iris. I'd like to upgrade to something nicer since the house is a bit nicer, but ultimately I do like Blue Iris so I'd like to use cameras compatible with it.

What are some decent cameras to look at? I'm thinking I'll need 3-4 internal cameras and ideally I'll rig up a POE camera at the front and back doors eventually, so if there are some decent packages I'd be interested in looking at those.

It's definitely not as good a camera as the bigger ones, and it doesn't have an infrared light, but I really like the hikvision mini dome for its tiny footprint inside. The actual camera dome part is about the size of a golf ball.

https://us.hikvision.com/en/products/cameras/network-camera/value-series/recessed-dome/20-mp-recessed-mount-dome-ds-2cd2e20f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Tapedump posted:

This might be a bit out of scope..

I'm looking for a self-monitored security system that allows for zones. There's a building with three areas, and some people need access to all three areas and some people must be kept to only one, etc. Three keypad/fob stations, one per area.

Having a hard time. Any suggestions?

An Elk M1 can do all of that, but it's not exactly the most user friendly system. I would think any of the traditional systems you get from a security installer could do the same stuff.