Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

You know who posted:

We simply don't know the long term health effects of vaccinations over a few decades.

Isn't this so far from the truth its insulting? Its not like vaccinations are a new invention. You might as well say we don't know the long term health effects of anti-septics or washing your hands before surgery.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Antares posted:

I haven't seen this linked in the last few pages, but I know "what happens in libertopia if a company dumps poison into your water supply" is a perennial question so I thought I'd share this excellent Intercept story:

Part 1
Part 2
(and there's a Part 3 yet to come)

Thanks for sharing this. Its incredibly angering and depressing, but it was a good read.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

1000101 posted:

As an aside I went a number of years not paying all my taxes and nobody clasped me in irons. I ultimately filed and paid all my back taxes when I had the financial means to do so because it's a socially appropriate thing to do. I'm okay even when they help people like this!

I accidently didn't pay my taxes for multiple years due to a misunderstanding about whether my scholarship / appointment was taxable income. No one came after me (or even corrected my mistake), I only back filed and payed because I could afford to and thought it was the right thing to do when I learned of my mistake.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 8, 2016

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

luxury handset posted:

i am being completely honest when i tell you that ron paul is a racist

Ditto and that he isn't antiwar and was eager to have states pass antisodomy laws.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 19, 2019

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

You truly are human garbage, jrod, and it is but by the grace of our wonderful community and their desire to argue with you that you are allowed to remain here.

I wonder if this was pre2012ish we'd see other libertarians claim JRod is a false flag. You are coming off so badly JRod even when you might have a point.

I guess this is intrinsic to thinking you are a Randian titan

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Without the allies intervening my country would've remained under german occupation. My granduncle would probably have died in a nazi prison camp (he was a teacher and refused to teach nazism to children), lord knows what would've happened to my other granduncle who sailed in the convoys or my grandfather who was in the resistance but chances are that their luck would've run out at some point. Without the allies intervening there's a chance that I would've never been born.

This isn't the point of JRod but it's equally important to remember that the allies weren't necessarily against the camps either. Patton famously hated that he had to liberate the camps. He would have been fine if more of my family was killed or not. Which is a very familiar feeling to this thread.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And also that after the war many camp survivors had distinctly frosty, and at times murderous, receptions when they made their way home, particularly in Poland.

I still remember from my high school ap European history textbook the section on post war Eastern Europe talking about Pogroms flaring up again to find scapegoats. All I could think of is that who is left to scapegoat? "it's all the Jews fault." "You mean Gary?"

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Goon Danton posted:

R.J. Rushdoony... Why does that name sound familiar?

lol oh yeah, he's one of the founders of christian dominionism. Liberty!

Even the guys name sounds like a portmanteau of Rush Limbaugh and sodomy

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

It's over 18?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Is it possible that the virus has mixed its labor with Rands bloodstream already? In that case it has a legitimate claim to it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

i was listening to a video of ben shapiro DESTROYING the concept of systemic racism. he made a lot of typically dumb ben shapiro level arguments, but one that kind of went under my radar was an argument he made about wealthy people. apparently 70% of millenials and 52% of boomers thought that wealthy people inherited their wealth, but shapiro cited a study that said only 15% did.

i figured there was something fishy about that statistic, but couldn't exactly figure out what. now the mistake that i made initially was thinking that most of these rich folks came from well to do, middle, upper middle class households, which, while impressive to become a millionaire, is not exactly a rags to riches story. but then i come to find out that i once again, gave ben too much credit. because it turns out that the way the study was done, somebody who was born into a millionaire/billionaire family, who became a millionaire while their parents were still alive, would be counted in this figure. if you grew up in beverly hills, well your financial success would become far, far less impressive.

waiting 30 years to make back your money sounds like a pretty inefficient business plan, imo

I want to say there is a very similar number kicking around about retaining generational wealth to get rich people to pay for wealth management etc. If you try to actual trace through the citations, it appears to be completely made up. In true libertarian fashion at one point someone claimed a study said x and no one checked it. Then people cite that work etc and suddenly it's gospel.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I'm still flabbergasted about seeing people storming the capitol and wanting to kill congress people if they caught them and thinking they "just want to be left alone" or otherwise just want to separate from "the left"

That seems beyond the usual willfully dense JRod.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

When conservatives say they "just want to be left alone," they mean that they don't want anyone to investigate the mysterious deaths.

Oh, so its just the NAP. Now it makes sense

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

theshim posted:

I hope he doesn't get banned only because I deeply enjoy the amount of thoughtfulness and research that people put into dunking the gently caress out of him.

Same. We couldn't ask for a better example of why Libertarianism is intellectually bankrupt.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

It's beating a dead horse right now, but for instance pretty much all of big tech do not rely on the ideas of ceos to make them successful (big tech specifically because of my own experiences due to talking to people at conferences etc).

All the people silicon Valley folks fellate as geniuses that change the world are basically just babysat most days and the real changes and successes come from below. It's despite their existence not because of them. Like we have actual proof that companies don't work like libertarians believe because we already know it kills companies.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 21, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Somfin posted:

You do know why the "average IQ of the general population is between 90 and 110," right? Do you know why that measure puts the average person there?

No he doesn't .

I also like how searching for 310 IQ just brings up people dunking on the idea that Tesla had it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Somfin posted:

Not really? Like, the urge behind trying to figure out what IQ actually measures is fairly benign, and a bunch of folks are genuinely convinced that g exists in a completely spherical cow way.

The problem with libertarians is that they want g to both justify their beliefs and influence policy, and they want their online test's 240 IQ score to be taken as proof that their belief in right-wing ideology must be smart. Really they just want validation.

JRod watch the video

I stick by with the idea that no one who cared about their own IQ has accomplished something meaningful. It has yet to be wrong.

Not even the suck rear end captains of industry dumbasses like Musk care.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Yes all the captains of industry that started on the lowest rung of the later... The emeralds Musk walked around with as a kid were due to his own labor

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I'd say Teslas IQ must have been in the high 80s at best. I mean he was too dumb to strike it rich. What a pathetic moron.

Edit: or what ^^^ said

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Intelligence isn't competence.

See also why those obsess about IQ never seem to accomplish anything *cough cough*

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 6, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

What FuckWit also does is that it constantly repeats this fallacy about advancing to a better job later, as if everyone is morally obliged to go through some sort of soul-sucking shite-job purgatory before they can have any personal dignity. You will notice that it fails to mention that somebody will always be going this unpleasant job even if all previous workers move on to something better (they won't). It never has a thought for making a terrible job less terrible, only a vague delusion (read: veiled narrative) that people who work shite jobs will be better for it somehow (they won't) and ascend to better things later (most won't). FuckWit's messianic fable sure sounds a lot like the lies of Capitalism and the Just-World Fallacy, doesn't it?

But you see, it's not a contradiction when the justice system you pay for says your company is free to not classify them as people.

Edit: Hate to break it to you, 1300 is not gifted, sorry. I guess it's minimum wage for you. Oh wait you don't believe in it

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 6, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I took the GRE and scored top 1% in verbal and top 2% in writing (quantitative was another story). With no humour whatsoever, I wanted to feel proud of myself but I mostly realised that the exam was utterly meaningless.

I'm still proud of how I did on my A-levels which is something that fills me with shame and I would never admit to anyone who knew me personally.

Funny thing that is somewhat related to all this discussion: The computer science GRE subject test is rightfully considered garbage by most experts in the field. But lower tier schools still use it and have pissing contests over it and reject candidates for having too low scores. But, for the top tier schools, taking and submitting the score can only hurt your application

Weird a test that measures nothing being used to separate people's worth. But I guess this aside has nothing to do with IQ tests

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 6, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Wait, do you think you wouldn't understand physics experts because of their IQ and not because they have studied the field for decades and you haven't?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Since JRod is chickening out again, can we appreciate one last time how he spent pages arguing how people should bow down to their intellectual betters through IQ tests and the like. And then he finally dropped his own SAT scores and they were thoroughly common.

And it tells on him so much because he refuses to do as he says like all libertarians)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar who got a JD from Yale. Is he more intelligent than you?

We aren't talking demonstrations of talent or intelligence or accomplishments. we are talking about unimpeachable tests that say he's a dum dum :smuggo: if he was smart he would have still bragged about sat scores years after he fact and sold pirated blurays

Edit: I'm not a fascist but people I don't like are undesirable dumb people. It's just a fact

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 15, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

My favorite response is that if it really hurt the poor, Reason would be for it

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 27, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

They always tell you that "well, no true libertarian society ever existed" or something like that.

I remember Jrod used to make that claim, and I would ask "well, if nobody has ever done it, isn't that worth investigating why?" But Jrod was an incurious person who thought he had all the answers, and thought happiness could be found inside a watermelon.

To be fair, he thought websites he didn't read had all the answers and that is the same thing as having all the answers

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Did he ever address that? I do remember he was painful average but bragged it was exceptional

Edit: of course he didn't. Why did I ask

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

It's actually mostly dumb and libertarian wanking material written by someone who never thinks about implications of anything . A thread on here did a read along for it at some point in the past decade. It was entertaining

Also surprise suprise the ending has them temporarily abandoning their libertarian principles to win the day and this isn't seen as hypocritical or an argument against libertarian ism

Also, racism and sexism would have never existed in American society in this alt history and we wouldn't have genocided the indigenous population despite you know libertarian history

Edit 2: Also there were chimp slaves who were happy to be slaves right? Something like that where I'm not sure the author was dog whistling or was just too dumb to see the implications

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/the_posts/status/1779301277668925527?t=G7pYC_ED4PEWvVju3uovMA&s=19

You know, I was on the fence but the guy with cte might have a point.

Bryan Quimby put it best
https://twitter.com/murderxbryan/status/1779322312094859299?t=Oq1Hca0DBQEs4dWbCpXWGw&s=19