Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I decided to hit up the Oxford Street plaza tomorrow at 10 to play a taster game with my buddy, as I'm friends with one of the staff members there and it makes him look good to book people in for that kind of thing. Will give feedback on the psyker phase - we both decided to include a psyker and a flyer so we can see what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I've always loved the look of wraith models for eldar and loved the fluff. Now that my 13,000 points of imperial troops are painted and based, I've got more imperial stuff coming.

When they're done I'm looking at that Iyanden supplement. Is it any good? Those melee wraith guard... Yum.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Why the gently caress can't I buy the drat ebook? What is this archaic bullshit where I have to wait for the shops to open or something? When do you think it will be available?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm dumb and it's early.

Deny the witch - do you need to perfectly match or exceed the number of 4+ your opponent rolled, or does every 6 'negate' a 4+ so you can bring them below the number required to manifest, while still leaving them with 4+s?

E.g. Either
1) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I need 4 6s to negate.
Or
2) he needs 3 4+, Rolls 4 of them. I roll 2 6s and negate even though he still has 2 4s.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Played my first game. So fun. So fun.

Tactical objectives own so hard it's unreal.
Played an ork buddy. He summoned demons on me. My thunderfire wrecked all his troops but due to tactical objectives he was winning until the final turn. Continually changing game dynamic and it really made me think each turn to score maximum points. Psychic phase was smooth as silk. Challenges are no longer busted.

My librarian went demonic, fired off soul flames and beams of death, before getting warp charged and staying his warlord. Then he went into CC with a kan fired a demon beam, blew up the kan behind the kan he was fighting, and then his head exploded from perils.

10/10 would blow own head off again

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

ijyt posted:

Did you find anything jarring compared to 6th?

I agree making a whole edition update is a money grab... The demon summoning is powerful as gently caress but so risky unless you're demonic yourself. You need 3x 4+ so at least 5 dice to guarantee, you're gonna perils.

Bound v unbound... The objective secured buff isn't enough to balance it, but that's a whole other issue. Just don't be a dick.

The edition was fun. Psykers are pretty clutch now. I'm going to run inquisitors with sanctic powers like a baller.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Can someone do a rundown of the Maelstrom tactical objectives?

18 of them are identical capture X objective ones as you discard them permanently after you achieve them or want to do your free objective redraw once/turn.

The rest are a medley of things like kill vehicles, flyers, warlords, completely annihilate enemies in shooting/assault, capture 2x the objectives compared to your opponent... All of those are two tier.

E. G. You destroy an enemy unit in shooting - 1VP
Or you destroy 3 enemy units in shooting - d3VP but only in one phase.

So you have to think. Do you go for the quick kill? Or do you spend a turn weakening the foe for the big finish and a shot at d3 points rather than just 1?

E: for perspective - I took out both my opponents ork mobs turn 1 with lucky shooting and my librarian going warp enhanced and kicking butt. He was still winning through tactical objectives until turn 5. It's balanced - you can discard the useless ones.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Where the gently caress does it say you can shoot flamers into transports?!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

We need the 7th ed FAQs to clear that up. I know GW and all, low optimism, but a lot of things need clarification so they have to release them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Tried our first 6.5/7th edition game...overall I liked it. I used an unbound Nids force with a couple of CSM models I had handy:

Flyrant with 2x T-L Devourer with brainleeches
Walking Hive Tyrant with the same weapons
2 Tervigons with Termigaunts
Tyrannofex
2x Venomthropes
3x Biovores
Mawloc

plus Heldrake with Baleflamer and Forgefiend with 3 Ectoplasma cannons

I just grabbed a bunch of models I had handy and didn't really try to optimize anything.

Our DA player wanted to use his Shadowsword I just did for him (I posted it earlier), so he made that his Warlord and his Lord of War and used a bunch of Deathwing:

Belial + 5 Deathwing
Librarian + 8 or so Deathwing
5 Deathwing
Shadowsword (Warlord)

Tyranid deployment (Mawloc and Heldrake in reserve)

Dark Angel deployment (Belial and his guard in reserve)

Objective cards were interesting - you'll want a set per player if you get them

We only did a couple of turns because of time constraints, but overall I enjoyed the game! It was interesting to do an Unbound 1849 pt list against a Battle Forged list. Unbound was cool, and it seems to work OK against a normal FOC list.

Best part was the randomness of the Objectives – you can’t discard the ones you can never achieve, but you get new ones when you’ve accomplished any of the objective cards you’ve got. So your objectives can change from turn to turn.

Psyker phase was interesting – Tyranids are going to dominate with plenty of dice to counter attacks and blessings, or for their own attacks, but they’re psyker-heavy after all. I think it goes quickly enough but our DA player will have to get used to it.

It'd be nice if more was changed for the edition (assaults, etc., ad nauseum) but what they've changed and what I've seen in-game looks alright so far.

e: we treated the cover areas as 5+ cover, my ruined building as 4+ cover, the cathedral windows as difficult terrain and 4+ cover...basically the same as how we used them in 6th.

Unless I'm a retard, you can actually discard one tactical objective per turn usually and draw another within the limits for whatever game you're currently playing.

And if people say tactical objectives are bad you're actually wrong. Just wrong. Plain incorrect.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

To be honest the summon needs a limit or something, but that's probably fixable.

Also it should be a hard rule that you can't use that power without the models. If someone tried to do some 30 dice poo poo on me (not that I would play them) it's unacceptable to have a poo poo eating grin and put down grots or whatever the gently caress they think is an acceptable proxy.

E: at the very least I could claim a moral victory that they had to buy and paint 90 models for the privilege of doing some cheesy poo poo

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I mean in future, if I was doing a pickup game and this summoning stuff becomes common.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Where did those loving awesome busts come from?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Seems like we're gagging for those FAQs now, not that they'll likely fix the important issues.

The group I game with are probably just going to cap the number of summoned units either at 3 units, or a rough % of the points value of the game, so no 3000 points of daemons in a 1000 point scrap.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Who even takes flamers in squads when you can have a plasma/melta gun too?

15-25 points can buy a guard blob between 3-5x d3 autohits in an overwatch and you can sit them at the back of the unit. That's actually quite useful as a good 7 hits or so can cause a casualty or two, not even counting your lasguns. Saved my bacon more than once!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

That city fight board is so kick arse I've sat down and designed my own with a buddy. Completely inspired.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I think Flying Monstrous Creatures count as very bulky. I'm not sure but there is some other weird rule that makes it so that they can't do that.You can't start in Dedicated Transports but you can start a Space Marine squad in reserve in a Valkryie I think. Dark Eldar have to loan out their transports to Banshees , so they can charge people.

Oh I was super happy about this

So with Assault being reduced -2 for difficult terrain, my Necrons got a inadvertent super boost to being in terrain and a weapon they have. Tremor Stave and Seismic Crucible.

If you are in difficult terrain the assaulting unit is going to get -2 + - D3 taken off their charge range. Plus can shoot a unit with a Tremorstave and they count as moving in difficult terrain so good luck with charging a dug in necron force. You have to really get in their face to charge them now.

CCBs, Finally my Necron Overlord can issue challenges from his chariot and be locked in combat so he doesn't get the crap blasted out of him.

Scarabs are Scoring. HA!

The Walker is actually good now, it gets Hammer of wrath which is cool.

Disco Inferno Royale court got a boost by becoming scoring.

Overall Necrons got alot of really cool new rules that make them better now so I'm happy.

Scarabs aren't scoring as they have the swarm rule and swarms can't score, it's said in the section describing scoring units that things default to scoring unless there's a rule saying they can never score. Unless swarm rules have changed.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Question: I want to use a battleforged army which includes coteaz and another inquisitor. I don't want to have to pay the troops tax for their GK version. If I use codex inquisition I can just take them alone.

I assume I can just use their GK FAQ versions (aka they can get sanctic powers without perils on any double etc?)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

That Knights FAQ... I would be loving passed off if I bought the Knights book

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Seriously is there some sort of way we could compile a long list of grievances, broken rules and issues over say the last two or three years and just write some sort of open letter to GW? I could go up to loving Nottingham myself and hand deliver the drat thing.

Warhammer 40k fb group - 'if your army got a nerf, just learn to play it in a new way you might remember why you started to play it!'

Yes as most people started Tyranids to get their poo poo kicked in every game

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Goon hivemind, I need your help in identifying some mysterious units while I'm cleaning out my bitz and trying to sell some of it off.

I seriously don't know what the gently caress some of this stuff is. Pretty sure it came along for the ride when I was given a friend's collection when he moved.

The gently caress are all these... steam tanks? One of them is some sort of metal campfire with a loving deer on a spit??

Hideous pewter freaks

Old school magic cards? Seems I have complete decks

Movement trays...?

Got about 20-25 of these suckers. Plastic.

And lastly, for content that isn't just me asking you to help me out, my new Inquisitor + Coteaz for my Astra Militarum army!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

ijyt posted:

Looks like an Empire steam tank, and some dorfs and Empire archers. Ask the Fantasy thread. :)

Durrrr I should have just done this. Thanks.

Also I dunno if you guys noticed but Bolster Defences for Techmarines got a buff - now effects any type of terrain with the +1 bonus, not just ruins.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

This would own so hard.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Played my first proper game of 7th ed. Tactical objectives... Well. I ran a stern guard drop pod heavy battleforged list with kantor to make them objective secured at 1500 pts, he had a guard tank list with a forgeworld flyer and macharius vanquisher super heavy.

I won 12 vp to 2. Dropped onto 5/6 objectives turn one, into cover. Then just nailed his tanks with tank hunter devastators, a thunderfire, and combi meltas. By removing his transports he was then hosed and scrambling for objectives which I had objective secured on. GG.

Admittedly my stormtalon killed two russes and his flyer in a sick series of rolling over three turns but still. If you control the objectives YOU WIN.

Which is just how 40k should be. He had much more firepower, I used precision strikes and tactics to just overwhelm him.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Drop pods are hellish to assemble but give great tactical flexibility. A Melta multimelta combimelta tactical squad is a great addition now to any marine army as it can smoke a vehicle and then be a threat while remaining relatively cheap.
Three TFC... #banthissickfilth

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Night fighting is none of that poo poo with minimum ranges either. It just gives everything stealth.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Yo, Ghost Hand, after listening to so much of your podcast I've been indoctrinated into getting some of that soft foam to protect my miniatures, with a hard case to protect the soft foam. £60 worth of KR case on its way to me...

E: Anyone have experience with camo cloak sniper scouts? I'm looking at getting maybe 5-10 of them for a second troops choice in my Sternguard drop pod force. 2+ save in bolstered cover, plink away with some rending hits... cheap.

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 2, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Zhent posted:

Careful - you start with a couple of cases, then swap another army over in its entirety to KR foam, and before you know it:

Not pictured are the 4 cases in the KRM4 carrying case. No, I don't have a problem. :shepspends:

You say a problem - I say a neat and logical way to store your stuff! Far better than my current haphazard solution of using the boxes they came in. The super-heavy ones look perfect... oh god.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Big Willy Style posted:

Who is 'us' and why are GW sending you free stuff?

Yeah who is S. J?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

Ah, I get you, yeah. I kind of like it, to be honest, I just feel like GW's spiraling the drain and they just won't go in. Part of me wants to see them escape this spiral while another part's just this primal nagging for something to happen either way.

I love Only War and I've always been a big fan of Blood Bowl. FFG is pretty ace.

Have you seen their share prices? If that's circling the drain I want to know what doing well is.

They're poo poo. They do a lot of poo poo things. But right now from a pure economic perspective, it's working.

I do think the company is changing, just VERY SLOWLY. They're offering sales now, preview boxes, etc. Kit quality is loving insanely good. What they need to do is engage more with the community, fix broken rules and realise that they aren't just a model company with a game tacked on.

Also my god it's annoying in a GW to have this exchange :

Employee : 'cool you seem to have made awesome light up smoke effects! And you have an awesomely painted army!'

Me: thanks man I appreciate it. Doing alright so far, got a few objectives and-

Employee : 'what's this? *points at Mantic thunderfire, painted with a GW tech marine accompanying it*

Me: 'oh it's a mantic model - easier to transport and a bit cheaper'

Employee : 'next time, fully GW or not at all buddy. Can't be allowed to use that. '

I mean look man, I know I'm a customer and it's your store, but surely you should be aiming to draw people in? A fully painted army on the table being actively played with by a customer is the best drat advertising there is. Just because I didn't want to use the atrocious metal loving thunderfire doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to play.

Rant over.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Then stare at them.

Genius. I'll do that next time. Just say it's a conversion. Wish I'd thought of that. Just find it staggering that they're perfectly willing to stop me playing over a lovely loving thunderfire.

Back in MY DAY you weren't allowed to play without three colours and basing! Sorted the men from the boys! :old:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Pretty sure he means he used the gorkanaut to hit the raider, and the burnas to hit a nearby tactical squad - exactly how this thing should be used until we see the codex.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Just got to grips with my KR cases. The precut one was great for my Stormtalon + Drop Pods.

The un-pre cut one (2 infantry trays, 3 vehicle trays) took a bit of getting to grips with but was pretty drat intuitive. Fit a manticore, wyvern, hellhound, 3 chimeras and 50 infantry in it. Very very happy. Another one of those would fit all my leman russes, plus another bunch of infantry so I could migrate all my guard over to KR.

Only problem with the drat things is that I want more of them.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

This is the answer. I'm running by a sign shop to buy their scrap as plasticard probably sometime today for the big guns I finally got slapped together. Also, thanks to whichever goon recommended buying a dollar store package of toy cars--I got like 16 wheels for $1. :whatup:

The new lobbas cost the same as kannons, too! I took 3 into my last game and my opponents wept utterly.

e: 120 pts. for 30 T7 3+ wounds? Yes, please.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you kill off the guns before the crew? So you say 30 wounds but as soon as you lose 6 (3 guns, 2 wounds each) you're left with just a bunch of grots?

Or am I interpreting you wrong? I'm reading this as you maxing out on crew

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Direwolf posted:

I will correct you! You're wrong, the crew act as ablative wounds for the guns.

Ah, but I was kinda right in that this only works if they're the closest model to the firing unit. I remember where I was confused - a game where I deep struck behind a TFC and had an argument with the guy when I hit it with a bunch of 2+ to wound sternguard shots, and the techmarine was on the wrong side of the gun.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Does he actually have that many Daemon models? If I could count the number of times people said "well, i don't have the models for the summoned models, so i'll just use a dice" NO NO NO. You cannot summon things if you don't have the models for them.

Amen brother. If you're going to use a gimmick list, have the drat gimmick assembled and painted and then at least it looks nice.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Sir Teabag posted:

Quick question since I don't have a 7th ed rulebook just yet:

Have the rules for Ordnance and Heavy vehicles changed at all? In particular, can I fire the battle cannon on a Leman Russ and still fire the sponsons, or hull mounted weapon? Or would they just be snap shots still?

Nope.

LOL.
(snap shots only)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I love AoA - if you end up coming to London give us a heads up. I can travel for a goon meet.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Wow, 52 pts for a transport with 3 scorchas on it. That's an absolutely sick assault vehicle. Roll it up, drop off da Boyz, flame the gently caress out of other targets. You couldn't ignore 3 flamers, great vehicle to draw fire. I love it already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

MAGZ.

Mega Armoured Grotz.

... You mean a killa kan?

• Locked thread