Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've honestly never seen a good 40k video battle report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Since I saw that walkers are getting better, are Sentinels any good? I really like how they look.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I haven't played since 5th edition, so exactly how godawful is this list?

quote:

Tank HQ – 600 pts
- Pask in Punisher w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons – 230 pts
- Executioner w/ Plasma Sponsons – 185 pts
- Executioner w/ Plasma Sponsons – 185 pts

Infantry Platoon – 225 pts
- Command Squad w/ 3 Flamers, Vox Caster, 50 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Vox 60 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher 55 pts
- Special Weapons Squad w/2 Flamers, Demo Charge 60 pts

Infantry Platoon – 225 pts
- Command Squad w/ 3 Flamers, Vox Caster, 50 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Vox 60 pts
- Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher 55 pts
- Special Weapons Squad w/2 Flamers, Demo Charge 60 pts

Veteran Squad - 180 pts
- 10 Vets w/ shotguns, 3 melta guns, krak grenades, carapace armor, chimera – 180 pts

Veteran Squad - 180 pts
- 10 Vets w/ shotguns, 3 melta guns, krak grenades, carapace armor, chimera – 180 pts

Scout Sentinel Squadron – 135 pts
- Sentinel w/ Lascannon – 45 pts

Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ Multi-Meltas – 135 pts

Primaris Psyker – 50 pts
Primaris Psyker – 50 pts

Ministorum Priest – 25 pts
Ministorum Priest – 25 pts

The idea is, the two 25-man guard blocks sit on an objective in cover (hopefully), the tank squad takes out heavy infantry, the Priests go with the Vet Squads and hunt tanks or FMCs, the Sentinels outflank and do the same before they explode. The Vanquisher shoots at AV14 things and tries not to die.

I think I completely lack any defense against fliers, and I suspect the troop squads will just get rolled up in an assault.

Some of the choices (special weapons squad with that layout) are because that's how the Elysian squads come from forgeworld, but I'm pretty sure I can get some more lasguns if they're better than shotguns.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hollismason posted:

That looks like a good list to me everything is pretty well armoured. What do you have the Psykers for ?

Prescience on the blobs/whatever else presents itself, some sort of ability to roll deny the witch.

edit: I don't know if I can cast prescience since it's warp charge 2 and they're level 1, I need to get the book.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bavius posted:

So... I haven't seen any mention of fortifications in the BWB. Do we really have to have another book just for those?

Of course you do.

There are some fortification sheets in the back of the book but not for things like the Aegis Line or the Landing Platform.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 25, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bavius posted:

Ugh... Escalation and stronghold should have been rolled in. Fuckin' GW.

Well, they "folded them in" by saying "hey these things are part of the game even if you tried to ignore these books last time, go buy Escalation and Stronghold" and the rest is up to you and your wallet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

AndyElusive posted:

Whatever. I like gaming and I loathe other people’s drama, and I find that mixed gaming groups tend to have way more drama than male-only groups and that drama tends to make gaming groups explode, which is why I’ve run so many unfinished campaigns. The drama really gets in the way of the gaming. In fact, I’ve been getting way more into wargaming and getting away from RPGs just because there’s so much less drama with the almost entirely male wargaming scene.

Yeah, if not for all those drat girls around nobody would be offended by the rape jokes

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I kinda want to paint one, but it's pretty whatever rules-wise. Definitely not an army centerpiece.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I mean yeah stuff like 'don't smell offensive' or 'don't have oily fingers' all make sense but I think 'wearing foundation' is a bit beyond the call of normal person hygiene.

Not if you're specifically filming a video. For everyday gaming, sure, but that's not what he was talking about.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do it, contribute to 40k Accelerationism.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You guys should all come play historicals with me, we can use your 40k models as proxies until you get the 50 bucks it'll take to get a period accurate army together.

You can Forge The Narrative by following orders of battle and then have the outcomes determined by player skill! It's everything you want!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TheChirurgeon posted:

This reads like you haven't played Magic in 10+ years

It sounds like he played it once, poorly, at that.

Also it's in no way related to the design of the rules, which is what the fundamental problem some people in this thread are having with 40k.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

The Nod Guard are so awesome - can't wait to see more from you!

You're probably going to need one of these:

What is that, where do I get it, and is it Baneblade sized?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tadhg posted:

loving hell, this just resonated with me. The loving GREY KNIGHTS codex is two editions old now.

This game used to move a hell of a lot more slowly.

The last time I really paid attention to 40k, tables were dominated by Grey Knights and/or Necrons. It feels like forever ago.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

serious gaylord posted:

I had to do an inventory of my stuff for the house insurance since they would never believe how much I had if it burned down. The value of the display cabinet was terrifying, never mind the cases full of stuff I have.

gently caress, this reminds me that my giant plastic tub full of miniature sprues is the only thing I haven't taken pictures of for insurance.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Fix posted:

Funny you should mention that, I just busted out my Battletech anniversary kit last night to prep for a game this week and have been dorking out over the lovely fiction.

And you want to talk about bad plastics? Yeesh!

Hey, the multiparts are at least mediocre!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Well hey, in a 1k list apparently you can't actually take 3 knights anyway, so gently caress that guy.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pacheeco posted:

This is when I'm glad I have a good group of friends to play with. Marbo gone? Not anymore! Want your Bike Warboss to make Ork Bikes troops? Sure, no problem! Some of the changes the newer codexes received are just dumb and I don't really like anything that restricts the game solely because "We don't want to make that model anymore".

Literally all of these things will come out as dataslates

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hollismason posted:

That's actually interesting on the patent trolling issue, what patents could GW hold, I'm sure they actually have some patents, but do they hold patents on Game Mechanics?

In the US at least, you can't do that with game mechanics outside of specific terms. It's why every card game has to use a different word for turning a dude sideways instead of just stealing "tap" from Magic.

You could publish a 40k clone tomorrow if you changed all the rule names.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The five dataslates might be interesting but $50 for 112 pages seems a bit much.

Yeah... a bit. I hope the planetary invasion rules aren't poo poo.

BTW do you want to buy this terrain set for 250 dollars? Please don't look at the cost of our competitors' fortified structures.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cooked Auto posted:

http://bloodofkittens.com/blog/2014/07/06/rumor-it-actual-starter-set-confirmation/

So it seems like there is a new starter box coming out relatively soon.

The dude on the left is so happy to be there

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Loving the purple.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thundercloud posted:

Just a term for recasters.

On the topic of forgeworld, who here has a local GW that have banned Forgeworld books and models?

They were banned here on a case-by-case basis during 6th, but the tournament rules for 7th haven't really been nailed down yet and nobody seems to really care about forgeworld as much as they do arguing about unbound in general.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

oh boy, price chat. now someone say you can easily make a 40k army using mantic miniatures which are better quality for cheaper, and then someone make a vague allegory to how if you pay msrp you're a literal subhuman. i can't wait to see if something different happens in this, edge of tomorrow 2: the wh40k thread never changes.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

i spent a grand on forge world last month thanks for bringing it up

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought the old Space Marine Strike Force with christmas money one time. I don't know why, I still haven't ever fielded the whirlwind.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait, what is this?

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/THE_HORUS_HERESY_LEGION_ASTARTES_GAMERS_COLLECTION.html

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Germ posted:

Hold on, there, a second. Am I right in reading this as basically a collection of all of the 30k armies? That seems like a screaming good deal and a wonderful idea. A bit TOO wonderful, so I'm suspicious. Or is FW just the kindly aunt to GW's abusive uncle?

All of the Space Marine armies. You'd still need the HH books proper if you want to play Mechanicum.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It also has to kill something by rolling a 6 on its grasping talons attack to get that 4+ FNP so you can't exactly rely on it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

GW threads have a lot of trouble interpreting Statements As Written vs Statements As Intended

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Might as well just give us a rundown of what changed, because I want to know about the Elysians.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can't wait to buy Citadel 3-D Printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That wolf chariot is the dumbest model I've ever seen, I love it.

• Locked thread