Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
The assassins can be taken as allies despite not having HQ slots because of a rule that states so, why do you guys assume this will be different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Something arrived in my mail today:

:getin:

Since my group is fairly non-competitive I don't really care about lovely rules as long as my army is the prettiest on the table.

Phyresis posted:

how about zero times cuz that's the ideal number

It's too late for me :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

Awesome! Will you be painting in a really retro style or something more contemporary?

I haven't decided yet! I did think briefly about doing them in a retro style like your fantastic Ultramarines, but I'm not that good at painting. What will probably happen is a theme similar to my regular Harlequins, just to keep things somewhat consistent.
Image for reference:

(They've murdered a Daemon Prince every time I've fielded them against Chaos Space Marines. My opponents are terrible.)

Hra Mormo posted:

Pretty sure if he did them retro they'd have to come with a seizure warning.

:catdrugs:

Yeah, pretty much.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

Or just give tyranids an open topped transport to ferry stealers in...

Just what Tyranids need, more new models to make old ones useable :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
#Lictorshame

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

Does WS10 work like BS10? As in, do you get to re-roll misses an hit again on a 2+?

Would GW make CC mechanics useful compared to shooting?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

Relics:

- A pistol S4, AP3, Rending
- A sword +2S, AP- Rending and if fighting in a challenge, wounds on 2+ and Instant Death
- One sniper rifle, AP2, 120"
- One ítem that if bearer does not cast any phychic power, or shots during the shooting phase, he can run 48" and may reroll cover saves.
- One sword +1S, AP3, Soulblaze (affects wounded unit and all enemy units at 6")
- One ítem that when bearer diez, 5" template is placed and all models suffer one S4, AP5 hit. If at least, one wound is infflicted, bearer comes back to life, with 1W. One use only
- One ítem that makes psyhic powers required 1 WC less. No inv saves if done so.

So uh

the same ones as before plus a token pistol?

I'm not very hyped over this release despite having played Eldar since 4th Ed - guess the GW Death Thread got to me :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

I made a video review on the latest Eldar codex

its a little baised but I think I covered most of the points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAPmtTi8lc

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for this.

edit: can you do one for the nid dex

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 19, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Actually the Nid codex is really good if you buy 5 of the flying Hive Tyrant kits, configure them for shooting and use none of your old models

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

TKIY posted:

What the hell is happening, this thread is suddenly good?!

edit: Why I love Tyranids:

This got me into them way back in the day. :allears: New stuff isn't too bad but I can't find any decent high-res versions of that one totally sweet Nid versus Ork spread from the latest book.

I've painted up a brood of Termagants and a Red Terror conversion a buddy made for me, no pictures of those yet unfortunately.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
who buys 3 knights anyway?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

M'lictor

goddamn

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I can't decide if I like the formation stuff in the Eldar book or not. It somehow manages to be way too rigid at the same time as being very flexible.

If the Avatar was just an HQ I think I'd still be using a CAD as the core of the army.

I still have my Forgeworld Avatar I got as a gift from another goon back in the day, but I never bothered picking up the new Eldar book for obvious reasons. How has it changed?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

B) Then you can take a up to twelve Wraithknights and three Avatars.
Khaine Awakened gives Furious Charge and Rage, as well as Fear.

what

Isn't introducing Fear as a rule for the Avatar of Khaine pretty redundant, what with it being a MC? Goddamnit GW, I bet I could write more thought-out rules at this point.

Speaking of which, where did I put that 2nd Edition Battlebible...

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

It's a typo. Khaine Awakened gives Furious Charge, Rage, and Fearless to any Eldar within 12" of the Avatar.

I quite like these changes for the Avatar. I love putting my FW one on the table but have always thought it was a bit weedy with S6 attacks. Now it gets Rage and S9 Armourbane on the charge, it should wreck a lot more poo poo.

Fair enough - sounds like it's a better deal for the points now than with the 6E book, but I doubt I'll pick the new one up unless there's a massive price drop or anything.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

I think the Avatar still suffers from being slow, but it might be more viable in a foot slogging force.

A good observation. I hardly play in a competitive setting (my gaming circle is terrific, and some people love trying out gimmick lists) so I could definitely see it perform well.

Soulfucker posted:

Speaking of which, where did I put that 2nd Edition Battlebible...

I found it! I uploaded it here in case someone else feels like looking at terrible rules from an age gone by.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've been painting up a bunch of old SM Captains and the like for my brother as a counts-as Honor Guard squad, are there any particular weapon restrictions on them?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Played a game today where I tried out my brothers' Marines for a change of pace. Turns out it's a lot more flexible than playing CC-oriented Tyranids. :v:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

God I love shots of games where everything is painted. Looks awesome! Who won?

Thanks! I won by 8 VPs in the end, it would've been a whole different game in the end had I not seized the initiative or if the Chaos Heldrake had bothered to arrive from Reserves before turn 4.

I only play with painted models, but I also have no decent camera to take good shots with so I tend to forget all about documenting my games. You're right in that it's a world of difference compared to grey plastic army shots.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
I had this idea once to convert a Dark Eldar court to resemble the Ginyu Force but thankfully it never happened.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kilo147 posted:

I've got no use for these.

I'm another continent away, otherwise I'd happily take them off your hands.

e;fb

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 25, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Age of Sigmar release is the funniest thing I've read in this subforum since those horribly painted primarch models in the Unspiration thread.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
I dusted off my Eldar collection today and played a game against a buddy's Tau list with advanced battlesuits: an Y'vahra, a R'varna, a regular Riptide, a squad of XV9 suits and some regular Crisis suits all backed up by expendable kroot infantry. I used the new rules (I didn't buy the book) for the first time so I didn't know what to expect. Battlereport here.

I probably won't be using the new rules again???

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

I feel like you can make an Eldar list that's not super powerful. You just need to limit yourself on the powered units. Like, take a some jetbikes, but don't give them ALL scatter lasers. Don't bring a Wraithknight, or if you do, take away its D shooting. Yeah, if you try to build a strong list, you will make one, but it's possible to make a list that's fun to play against with it.

I was going through the units when designing my list (I didn't bring bikes or a D-toting Wraithknight :v:) and except the laser lock and serpent shield changes I guess it was all buffs for no extra points because gently caress it ???

Master Twig posted:

I always bring a variety of lists with my nids to the game store in case I do play against a newer player and I want to give them a game they could possibly win.

This is exactly my regular modus operandi these days; I really like useless close combat bugs.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Yeah generally, but that seems to be the theme of 7th so far. Some think its a way to kill the point system like Fantasy

Considering AoS, that's the least reassuring thing somebody could've possibly told me.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Where can I find a store that ships urban themed gaming mats within the EU?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Alright thanks, this means that the cityfight table my group has been assembling terrain for will be great!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

(edit) Before I even ask, it states pretty straightforward that it gains the Daemon rule. This would convey a 5+ invuln. What's the argument being made?

Goons are bad at reading?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
:siren: Incoming image dump :siren:

This weekend I got to witness the first battle on the brand new gaming board me and my group have spent many hours working on. Two of my hobby buddies' armies were going at it with 1850 points of Imperial Guard tanks and other vehicles versus the World Eaters!

Turn 2 Mayhem:

Turn 3 sees a rapid decline in the number of operational loyalist armored vehicles:

At turn 4 the Chaos victory is almost certain, a squad of traitor marines can be seen advancing to secure vital battlefield objectives:

Can the current Imperial Governor hope to save his people from this darkness?

Both players had a good time, the CSM victory had a lot to do with the favourable terrain and the IG player being relatively inexperienced with the new edition, but a couple of very successful saving throws made by the Chaos player in the first and second turns probably sealed the deal. As for me, I'm absolutely thrilled that the board is finally done and looks so nice! With any luck I should be playing on it myself with my Nids in the upcoming weekend, which I'm looking forward to.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 4, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I grabbed the FRESH GROX MEAT poster off the web, but I reuploaded it here in case anyone else wants it. I did design and print out the several Governor-Fabricator Romney posters and Xenos Soda ads myself, since both are based on stupid events in our long-running Dark Heresy campaign for which I'm the GM. :v:

The buildings and ruins themselves were collectively funded, assembled(we recasted a bunch of the Ruins sprues) and painted, so I'll forward those comments to the group the next time we meet!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just primed my brand new Dimachaeron and looking up the rules for it, it seems to have a mostly redundant 6" jump move? Am I reading this wrong?

I mean it's probably going to look cool for jumping straight up a building to execute some IG cannon fodder but other than that I can't think of a lot of useful avenues for it

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

BuffaloChicken posted:

Trust me, one game-changing building jump is all you need to be happy about that little rule forever.

I was thinking about that battle report when I wrote my post, I read every word of it :allears:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
This is a handy discussion since I'm finishing painting up a squad of Honor Guard for my brother consisting of old command squad kits and stuff like the masters of the chapter box from way back in the day. Seeing as they have tons of different non-legal loadouts like a powerfist here and there, the occasional storm shield and what not I figured he'd be best off proxying the whole squad with the same type of power weapon, deploy them in a drop pod (lacking any assault transports) or something and throw in a Librarian with them for good measure.

Mauls would seem like the best choice along with power swords against most opponents here, including me.

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 26, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phyresis posted:

people who cry about cheesy poo poo in 40k are generally not very good at the game, it's textbook Dunning-Kruger. their perception of what is overpowered is skewed as hell. there are a lot of rock-scissors-paper hard counters in this game due to the way that unit design has evolved over the years and everyone focuses on the things that counter their favored list. it's a community full of chicken littles who basically can't hack it in an actually well-designed game system

I lost it at this part

edit:

BoLS?

double edit:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr.Booger posted:

sigh, I kinda want to start a 'Nid army. How are spores doing these days, I always liked the concept of explody spores all over the place, warriors and some big stompy things. Doesn't need to be super competitive (I would only play at our local keggers) but would rather not just get wiped turn 1-2 every game?

Against gunlines the Sporefield :siren:FORMATION:siren: is useful for denying advances, hogging overwatch fire and threatening slow units. Mucolid spores are easily convertible from a typical bitz box.

If your regular oppontens aren't very competitive it's possible to do well even with a traditional Tyranid force (no flyers, lots of gaunts) but it can be an uphill struggle. I tend to play very aggressively (given that I have to engage my opponents in CC to damage them) so against slower armies it's easy to pick up VPs from objectives. I wouldn't recommend them for a tournament setting obviously, but you said as much too.

edit:

some choice pictures from earlier in the thread:

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 23, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
edit: I'm retarded!

Got a game in with my Dimachaeron finally, will try to add pictures later.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe

If this change stacks with Catalyst it's a very, very good change.

So in other words it's fake as poo poo, which one of you photoshopped it?

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

Fun Shoe
Another picture dump!

Today I got to play a round against my brother and his Space Marines for the most purple army-trophy. The game itself meant more to me than your usual match would because he has been battling a nerve disease for the past year and only now was in a condition to play with his own two hands. Since he obviously hasn't played in a very long time I took one of my worst lists available and it was more than enough to give him a victory by 10 points over my 4!

Ground forces from hive fleet Leviathan (Limbo tendril) are lured into an ambush inside a devestated hive city by the Brotherhood chapter, intense fighting ensues.

Some marines are caught off-guard by hordes of ripper swarms or ravening Raveners, but prevail in the end thanks to the power of the 3+ armor save.

This Carnifex failed its charge against the Dreadnought pictured; it suffered several powerfist blows for its efforts in the following turn. In the meantime, the Purple Terror eats a marine Sergeant.

As the Hive Tyrant engages a squad of plasma cannon marines that have been a thorn in its side for the past turn, the Chapter Master and some hand-picked Terminator veterans :siren: DEEP STRIKE :siren: right into the enemy lines to assist their brethren.

At this point I had lost the game already, but we kept going until turn 5 where his units tabled the last of the bugs. It was entertaining, and next time I'll definitely take some more competitive units to the mix since he had no trouble at all dealing with my terrible list. This was the first and last time I'll ever take a 5 strong brood of Zoanthropes. :v:

• Locked thread