Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germ
May 7, 2013

As a Chaos player, I'm totally fine with the Heldrake nerf. A significant drop in power, but it's still a really useful model for the points.

What I can't believe is that Shadows in the Warp is left unchanged (and therefore, useless). Then again, I reckon Tyranids getting shafted should really stop surprising me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

Lungboy posted:

The Eldar FAQ states that Psychic Pilots can generate powers from Daemononology in addition to the spell listed in their army entry. How does that work? It's ML1 so surely it doesn't get any additional spells?

I don't know HOW it works, but the idea of a sleek Eldar craft speeding toward enemy lines suddenly exploding in a shower of gore and turning into a Great Unclean One is too marvelous NOT to happen.

Germ
May 7, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Doesn't the Helldrake have a special rule that gives it D3 + 1 vector strikes inside the CSM codex?

Nope. The verbiage in the Codex gives them the vector strike special rule at strength 7. The D3+1 was from the USR in the base rulebook.

Germ
May 7, 2013

PierreTheMime posted:

Finished up a minimum unit of Nurglings so I can field a fully painted CSM/CD army in a game tonight:

Gorgeous! Are you in the process of painting a full daemon army? If so, looking forward to seeing more!

Germ
May 7, 2013

The drapery and painting on that tank is amazing. Also, I've never seen more than 1 dickbike in one place at a time. Intimidating!

Germ
May 7, 2013

So very marvelous. The rhino scraping across the table followed by the pan back to show the otherwise empty gaming room was icing on the cake.

Germ
May 7, 2013

In regards to the assault discussion, my local club has taken to using huge, LoS blocking pieces of terrain. It adds to the grand scale of things, and really changes the way assault plays. Static forces have to be careful they don't get snuck up on, and mobile forces have to be careful they don't get split into a position where they are unable to support other parts of the army. Makes for some pretty fun games without changing the core rules a lick.

Germ
May 7, 2013

I like the cubes, but... this. This! It makes me want to take some acid and lick some eyeballs, so it must be Tzeentch.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Hold on, there, a second. Am I right in reading this as basically a collection of all of the 30k armies? That seems like a screaming good deal and a wonderful idea. A bit TOO wonderful, so I'm suspicious. Or is FW just the kindly aunt to GW's abusive uncle?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

All of the Space Marine armies. You'd still need the HH books proper if you want to play Mechanicum.

drat. Color me impressed.

Germ
May 7, 2013

A bit of shameless cross-posting in an attempt to catch some of my fellow warhams. I have a kickstarter for resin terrain that went live earlier today. In addition to some area terrain and other basics, it also includes some simple resin objective markers that are designed to work with 40k (40mm, numbers 1 through 6 for tactical objectives, with an extra 2 and an extra 3 for The Scouring). Take a look!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/48375726/resin-terrain-for-miniature-gaming

The objective markers:

Some examples of the area-terrain system in action:

Edit: Aw hell, I almost forgot - the area terrain options include landmines! That way you can take a beautiful idyllic forest, and turn it grimdark and brutal.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Enentol posted:

I'd jump all over this but shipping is ridiculously expensive to Canada. What gives?

Shipping a set of objective markers is more expensive than the object markers themselves... :canada:

The US postal service hates Canada. A bit less than it hates the rest of the world, but still a lot. International shipping from the US has gotten ridiculous over the past couple of years.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Thanks, all!

Ghost Hand posted:

I like it - going to pitch in some money on this. I'll also plug it on my shows FB page.

Yea! Wait.... Hold on a second, you mean IC has a Facebook page? That's news. You guys should try to plug the Facebook page on the show sometime so folks could hear about it.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

How much for UK shipping if I pitched $12?

It's really best just not to say, but $20. The US postal service still remembers taxation without representation. I'm sorry. :( International shipping is almost impossible from the US these days.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Those are marvelous - wonderful paint job, wonderful color selection! The blue is rich, and the gold and yellow pop like nobody's business. I really hope you keep up the freehand insignia. An entire army of those would be amazing.

Edit: I can't spell.

Germ fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 19, 2014

Germ
May 7, 2013

ANAmal.net posted:

There's some stuff on BoLS about Space Wolfs, apparently everyone gets a pistol but you have to trade out the bolter for the chainsword if you want the extra attack. I don't see a problem with it, since at present I'm pretty sure that compared to my Dark Angels, Wolfs are giving up stubborn and "paying" negative one points per model, to get +1A, counter-attack, and acute senses.

The fact that one of the revelations provided by the gods of Chaos is the knowledge of how to use a holster never gets old. Silly loyalists still haven't figured out that you don't have to carry everything you need into battle if you've got pockets.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Fix posted:

Counts-as Yarrick?

This is the Commisar who came out of an escape hatch from an exploding nuclear missile silo, shot down an Ork plane with his bolt pistol, and then faced down and finished off a battle wagon with a death AND glory attack, no? Now he totally looks the part. You've done a really good thing here.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

I kind of find it hard to believe the pdf is really. It's about one of the weirdest things I've ever seen come out of an actual corporation. Like Kirby even addresses himself in the 3rd person and refers to "cronies". Like this is the resignation of someone going thru a mental health break down

I share this sentiment. If it's not fake, it's one of the most narcissistic, un-self-aware table flip/mic drops I've seen. This explains a lot of GWs business practices over the years. I suspect GW has been successful in spite of Kirby, rather than because of him.

Germ
May 7, 2013

In honor of the imminent demise of GW (and in honor of the new thread title), I converted a Tom Kirby Nurgle Souldgrinder for my CSM/Daemon army. Crossposting from the oath thread:

Germ
May 7, 2013

I finally finished my 2000-point Nurgle army! Just in time for the Ordo Fanaticus Club Challenge in September. I suppose I still have a display board and one piece of set decoration (a Land Raider that has been hit with a vortex missile that Fix made for me, so it'll fit into our team display board), but being done with the army proper feels great. I'll never have to paint green again... except for the fact that I need to update my Wood Elves ... :suicide:

My Nurgle Bikes:

A rhino

A squad of Plague Marines to go in them:

My second unit of Plague Bearers, consisting of the first GW model I purchased and a variety of my facorite models from across the editions:

The entire warband of Morbus Maggotkin, Exalted of Nurgle. Put on my Necron display board (which will get a repaint in grey for the tournament) and squeezed into my lightbox (which is too small for the job).

Some poorly-lit closeups:

Germ
May 7, 2013

Thanks! I posted the Soulgrinder a while back, but here's a few. Parts are from the Defiler kit, a Warhammer Giant, the CHaos Spawn Kit, and a Forge World Nurgle dreadnought hand. And lots of greenstuff.

Germ
May 7, 2013

^^^
Dare I say they are falling like rain?

Hollismason posted:

I really dig that orange, is that a pigment? I think that's what they call the powders right the weathering stuff?

Nope, just orange dry brushed over stipples black and brown. I also happen to think that green and purple are the better Halloween colors (compared to orange and black).

Germ
May 7, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

GWAR really does work well with 40k.

That Blight Drone is also a sick conversion. I seem to recall you posting WIP pictures of it - do you still have those?

edit - I suppose I should ask you to post them, I guess.

The only in progress pick I had was the one below. Is that it? While I wish I could take credit for the awesome conversion, I totally ripped the idea (rather shamelessly, I might add) off of BuffaloChicken, the source of nearly all awesome conversion ideas in the universe.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Fix posted:

Got a team tournament coming up this weekend. Finally got everyone together on the display table.

video courtesy of potato

Nice! I don't remember "Stuck in the Middle with You" playing in the background when you filmed it, but it's fitting. "Nurgle to the left of me, bugs to the right, here I am...".

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Somehow I expect most videos of those awesome plasma ball creations to have somebody touching it eventually :science:

Touching the plasma ball is always a necessity.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Playing with this army must bring back all sorts of wonderful memories of playing with action figures when you were a kid. Fantastic stuff!

Edit...

Torrent on a Hellstorm template? Eldar sonic lance. Combine it with a scatter laser on a Lynx and you're wounding all infantry on a rerollable 3+ and rolling 4d6 and taking the highest 3 for armour penetration (with failed penetration rolls being rerolled).

Germ fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 26, 2014

Germ
May 7, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

What are some of the coolest objective markers you guys have seen?

I wanna do something that's not as generic as 'random bits glued on a base' or 'wounded dude'

I'm biased, but I'm a fan of non-obtrusive, flat, and functional.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Genghis Cohen posted:

loving YES! God bless you. I bet those special rules have some sort of leadership risk (LD seems to be split on the statline, 8/5 - perhaps it goes down under certain conditions to represent the corsairs cutting their losses if the battle turns against them?) but presumably a benefit as well. The Craftworld Eldar special rule, Battle Focus, while insanely good, doesn't benefit jetbike units.

Wild guess here, but I'm guessing the first big number is what they use until they break, and then they rally on the second number. Once they run, they keep running. I'm really stoked to see IA11 getting a redo!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Hencoe posted:

GORESLICE THE SKULLCRUSHER

Pretty loving metal

It's a good one. Almost as good as Goreslash the Skull-Eater.

I eat skulls, man. Eat them right up.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Huh, it also looks like it can now take one sonic lance and one pulsar, instead of needing a matched pair. With the ability to split fire, that's pretty potent.

Germ
May 7, 2013

BuffaloChicken posted:

In my friend group's Ham Slam Facebook group I said jokingly there should be one of those corny name generators for ridiculous Warhammer names. Then it was time to do dishes and fold laundry, and I didn't want to do either, so I made one. (I'm apparently Rustboil the Skull Blaster, probably a cool Nurgle dude.)

Which goon has the coolest name? Can I resist making a Chaos Marine Kill Team where every model is based on a friend's name? Only time will answer these horrible idiot questions.

Ok, so there's a lot to like here. The fact that you nailed my penchant for eating skulls is :krad:; however, I don't see any way for anyone to end up with the name Bloodstorm the Stormcaster. Given the current state of affairs, I see this as a really egregious omission. Or Stormblood the Bloodstormer. Of course, inclusion of those also opens the door to Stormstorm the Stormstormer, which really is the point of this whole exercise, no?

Germ
May 7, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I'll be moving to somewhere between Bremerton and Gig Harbor this summer. High on my list is a quansa style hut to turn into my ham cave.
I just hope I find people close to me to play with.

So lonely.

That's pretty isolated, but the Pac NW is wonderful for gaming. I'm up in Bellingham, but there are pocket communities that all travel to game with one another all over. Check out ordofanaticus.com . It's pretty much the hub for a loose coalition of gaming clubs in the region. There's also a great event-not-a-tournament put on every summer called the Ordo Fanaticus Club Challenge.

When you coming out?

EDIT: I should clarify. I live in a pocket community where I don't have to play against jerks, and everyone is pretty chill. From what I understand some stores or areas have a fairly lousy competitive vibe, but there's enough good folk in the region that it's not too hard to find decent human beings to play.

Germ fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 31, 2015

Germ
May 7, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm visiting right before thanksgiving and coming back during spring break to start shopping in earnest. My house is getting on the market in April/May so we can close by mid June.
I'll have a retarded amount of cash to buy a house at that point so closing will be much quicker for us. Hopefully be moving in mid July so the kiddos can start school.
Making new ham friends might be a bit tough due to my advance age and lack of enthusiasm for the mega fast pace of the current system. Still, this poo poo is my jam.

Being old won't hurt you a bit. With GWs price hikes, old hams are going to be the only hams left. Let me know when you get closer to moving out and we can try and arrange a summertime Ham Jam.

Pendent posted:

If I had more time I'd probably try to play with them more frequently, but alas having a newborn tends to eat into ones hobby time.

I got so much painting done when my little ones were first born, when they're sleeping like 18 hours a day. Couldn't get an actual game in, but painted a lot.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Cross-post from the Oath Thread. I'm really excited about the Eldar Corsair re-do, as I started working on a Void Dragon Corsair list several months ago. I hope the army is such that I can still use what I've painted, and don't have to ally Eldar and Dark Eldar to get the vibe I'm after.

Here are some shots of the Wave Serpent. I had intended to use an airbrush on it, but I didn’t make it past basecoating the charcoal color before I caved in and painted the rest by hand. It was super fun to paint – all those smooth curves and big flat areas were perfect for practicing thin layers and trying to smooth my blending.

Everything is magnetized, with the option of switching between the underslung shuriken cannon or the shuriken catapults.

Here is another min-sized squad of jetbikes. I’m varying the red stripes between squads to make them easier to tell apart on the battlefield.

Germ
May 7, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Yo Germ, I'm also moving up to the Seattle area sometime around January. It would be nice to ham slam sometime. I only have 30k stuff though, so feel free to bring your well painted wave serpents and BBQ my marines. What color is your dress, anyway?

Cheers! It's like Muppets take Manhatten but with goons in the Pac NW. With the advent of the 30k plastics I reckon it won't be long until I have a proper 30k army, but even if not, I've got kinder armies than the Eldar (whose dresses mostly sparkle).

Germ
May 7, 2013

Post 9-11 User posted:

Beautiful, Jetbikes and all. I would clean-up the black edge on the lens of the shuriken cannon, though. It's a bit odd that the canopy is the same color as the hull, limited color palette owns, though.

Thanks! I wasn't sure what to do with the canopy at all. I didn't want to use more than 3 colors, and didn't want to try and manage a clear windshield with a painted space-elf inside. Given those limitations, thins was the best I could do. Honestly, I always thought that the idea of a clear windshield on a space tank was silly, as I always reckoned the folks inside saw through sensors and what-not. I wish they weren't modeled with windshields.

Seriously great airbrush work! These look fantastic. That crisp white trim really sells it.

Germ
May 7, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

:siren: PSA for all you 30K hams- the red legion book is getting updated sometime early next year. My bet is after the release of the new heresy book. If I was a thrifty ham I'd sell mine around the time the shattered legion book comes out so the new one costs you way less.

Appreciate the heads up! I reckon this means I shouldn't buy the HH red books until later than, no?

Germ
May 7, 2013

BuffaloChicken, you live on the wrong godsdamned coast. Go west, young man, go west. Gorgeous stuff, as usual.

Hey, do you have any pics/links to your super-cool wraithknight build? Searched for them, but the old links are dead.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Uroboros posted:

The answer is magnetize the wrist so you can have anything you want.

poo poo. This is very relevant to my interests, but I've got to say, not knowing the exact magnets to order (and the associated drill bit size) to buy is an impediment to someone as lazy as me. Help?

I also have a cautionary tale of a fellow Warham and goon that magnetized just about everything on a marine army, to the point where he could use every single tiny bit and option he had. Said warham-goon (should have) spent months in an inpatient psych hospital and is irrevocably twisted and broken as a result of that (and likely other) experiece(s).

Germ
May 7, 2013

Uroboros posted:

Magnet talk

adamantium|wang posted:

More magnet talk

Perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

PMed about the Space Marines!