Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'll have new photos after this weekend, but in the meantime here are some of the models I've already shown off:

White Panthers

Night Lords

Iron Warriors

Black Legion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I love your armies, but these guys are so 3rd edition in the best way. Also jealous you have this sick model.

Thanks! Yeah I got him at Games Day 99 in Baltimore. He's probably my favorite of the Games Day models, but I have a clear bias and the only other one I have is that Kroot Shaper from 2000.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

Your models are tops and having Abaddon stand up and not hunched over/no-neck does a tremendous amount to improve how he looks (I know most of the model was replaced rather than repositioned, blah blah).

Thanks! Yeah the old Abaddon model isn't terrible, but he just can't hang with the new plastic Terminators I wanted to use for my Black Legion army. Fortunately the Chaos Terminator Lord gets most of the way there in a kitbash, though I had to do a custom green stuff job on the chest to get the skull+tubing that Abaddon has. Without that it's a simple kitbash (aside from cleaning up the finecast bits) that looks great when it's all said and done.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
So I made it down to my folks' place for the weekend and had ANAmal.net and Shadow Daishi up for some beerhammer. That means B-B-B-BATTLE REPORTS!

The first game we played was an 850-point skirmish between ANAmal.net's Dark Angels and my White Panthers. I worked overtime getting 5 assault marines painted up in 4 days, only to find out that they're pretty worthless. But they look good!

We played 7th edition using ANAmal.net's fancy new MUNITORUM LIMITED SPECIAL IMPERIAL EDITION book and cards. Because he bought it, he brought a psyker. Both of us played with standard FOCs.

Anyways, on a sunny Satruday in May of the 41st Millennium, some White Panthers and Dark Angels space marines engaged in a live-fire exercise in a ruined city.

TheChirurgeon's White Panthers (the good guys)
Space Marine Captain w/Power Fist and The Primarch's Wrath

Tac Squad Alpha (5)
- Vet Sergeant w/Power Fist
- Melta Gun

Tac Squad Bravo (10)
- Vet Sergeant
- Missile Launcher
- Plasma Gun

Assault Squad Gamma (5)
- Vet Sergeant w/ Power Weapon and Combat Shield

Venerable Dreadnought Caius

Vindicator w/Siege Shield and extra armor

ANAmal.net's Dark Angels (stupid idiot assholes) (as best I can recall)
Librarian (level 2)

Tac Squad Moron (10)
- Vet Sergeant w/Power Fist
- Plasma Gun
- Plasma Cannon

Tac Squad Butthole (9)
- Vet Sergeant w/Plasma Pistol
- Close combat weapons
- Meltagun
- Rhino

Tac Squad Jerkoff (6)
- Vet Sergeant w/Plasma Pistol
- Plasma Cannon
- Plasma Gun

Devastator Squad Jerkwad (5)
- Veet Sergeant
- 4 Heavy Bolters

Scout Squad Douchebag (5)
- Sniper Rifles

The Game Lasted 4 Turns
We were playing on my modular table, with 6x4' being a bit too large for 850 points. To compensate, we used the middle 4x4 section of the table, bifurcated by the river. There were 5 objectives (we discarded any cards referring to a 6th):
(1) The north bridge
(2) The imperial aquila in the building on my side of the river
(3) The south bridge
(4) A point in the north building (held by the scouts at deployment)
(5) The statue in the square

Secondary objectives were Linebreaker, First Blood, and Slay the Warlord. On each of our turns, we drew strategic objective cards up to to the turn number (i.e. on turn 3 I'd draw up to 3 cards) and revealed them. Right off the bat, ANAmal.net noted a lack of anti-armor units in his army which would cause him a lot of problems as the vindicator got to run around with impunity, blowing his marines off the statue as they tried to score it.

Deployment

Overall, the lack of clear objectives made things pretty weird--there was little reason to keep pressing units forward some of the time, particularly if you had an objective like Hold the Line or were worried about having to go back and recapture an objective you just drew a new card for.

Early on we both focused on crossing the river with assault units. My assault squad used the vindicator for cover on the bridge while ANAmal.net's rhino was vaporized by my dreadnought's Multi-Melta.

The joke was on me though, as ANAmal's sergeant jumped out of the wrecked rhino, fired a plasma pistol shot at my Venerable Dread, and rolled 6 twice on the vehicle damage roll.

Then the assaults happened, with ANAmal's marines getting pulped by my Captain and Sergeant with power fists, and my assault marines just getting bogged down with a bunch of Devastators they couldn't really hurt after the squad sergeant got mashed by a power fist (he challenged and then whiffed on his attacks). ANAmal's librarian spent the bulk of the game trying to give the heavy bolter's in the Devastator Squad rending in hopes of destroying the Vindicator by laying into its side armor. I was able to negate once but he got the power off twice, lost his psyker to perils, and the Vinidcator survived with 1 hull point left.

Two of the big problems with the new strategy cards in my opinion are that (1) there are lots of duplicates, and (2) you can just end up lucking into control cards for objectives you are already holding. I pulled two "take objective 3" (the south bridge) while my Vindicator was parked on it and scored both of them that turn. Ultimately I won, 6-5 and it was a pretty fun game overall. Small games own.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 26, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thank you for this. Been cool watching that board come together so far - gonna make my brother's cityfight board look like Wet Garbage when it's done. Absolutely love your Panthers... the retro look never gets old.

Ha, thanks!

So after beerhammer on Saturday Shadow Daishi stuck around and helped with the board. He's actually been crucial at getting this thing together--was there to assemble the initial boards in my folks' garage in 30-degree weather, so massive props to him.

Anyways, we got a crapload more done, including painting the roads and giving some texture to the sidewalks:

We also got more scenery painted, so here are some config shots of the table so far:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

drat, that is a sweet board.

The only time I made a game board it was a canyon setting. Looked pretty good, but after playtesting 40k In 40k Minutes on it I realized it was unplayable and never painted it, later scrapped it.

It was 24" by 24" if memory serves. :smith:

I'd love to build more significant features but it's been my experience that there just isn't enough upside most of the time and it makes them a pain in the rear end to store. I will probably do 3 more 2x2 sections eventually though, with 2 more diagonal roads and 1 more river section to do a full-length river.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lord Twisted posted:

That city fight board is so kick arse I've sat down and designed my own with a buddy. Completely inspired.

Thanks! Hit me up if you want my notes. It's designed to be fairly portable and easy to store.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
MORE BATTLE REPORTS

So after our first game, we hit up Iron Hill Brewery, drank a shitload of beer, and ate a fuckload of food. Those Chili Cheese Burgers weren't "you'll need a fork" level sloppy as advertised, but they were still solid and Iron Hill makes some money summer brews.

Anyways, as a big "thanks" to Shadow Daishi, I picked him up some Space Wolves by trading with AgentDark and picking up a couple of things. After our first game, ANAmal.net and I helped him assemble the force:

1 Wolf Lord on wolf
5 Wolf Guard
1 Wolf Standard
10 Grey Hunters
10 Blood Claws

which amounted to about 850 points. After dinner, he teamed up with ANAmal's Dark Angels (gently caress fluff) against my Iron Warriors. Unfortunately, ANAmal did not bring additional heavy weapons so this game ended up being pretty lop-sided.

I brought an unbound list with the following:

Chaos Lord w/Power Fist
Chaos Sorcerer (ML 3)

5x Terminators + Reaper Autocannon
Helbrute

9 CSMs with Lascannon + Plasma Gun, in Rhino
9 CSMs with Missile Launcher + Meltagun, in Rhino

3 Obliterators w/Mark of Nurgle
3 Vindicators
1 Land Raider

This was pretty much all the Iron Warriors I have painted.

We picked a different mission this time, which used table edges for deployment and had each side draw 3 strategic objective cards, replacing any that were scored or discarded. Either side could score the objective marker cards for either side on their own turn, which was fairly interesting, but led to some similar problems with objectives getting drawn, then immediately scored because someone was already sitting on it.

This time we used all 6 objectives, adding the south building opposite the statue. The game lasted four turns, and I probably would have tabled them had it gone longer. Also it was like midnight so we packed it up. Still a fun game though!

Deployment:

ANAmal managed to clip one Vindicator for 2 hull points with his rending heavy bolters this game, and destroyed the weapon on another before the Terminators piled out of the Land Raider and started murdering his guys. The Obliterators didn't drop until turn 4 but by then it didn't matter much. Shadow Daishi's Space Wolves blew up a rhino with the sorcerer in it and nicked the third vindicator with an Assault Cannon. Then his wolf lord charged into the Sorcerer while the latter had that Biomancy Power that gives him +3I and +3A and got instadeathed by a force weapon when he failed his storm shield save. This exchange happened:

Me: "Ah, dude that sucks."
SD: "Whatever, that was p. rad"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Chirurgeon, I'm going to join everyone else in saying that board looks awesome. It has plenty of terrain while still allowing you to move stuff without knocking 8 buildings over.

Thanks!

Sorry I can't get into Ork chat. I have one more post with photos, as I just finished my first assault squad.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fix posted:

Revenant Titan. 900 points. The only thing Chaos has is the Lord of Skulls.

What about Chaos Warhound Titans?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I don't mind seeing Heldrakes taken down a peg personally. They're probably still pretty dangerous, just not as much so. I don't like that the new FAQs invalidated Space Wolves and Blood Angels psychic powers though. They're all generated from the rulebook now. It makes sense for consistency's sake and it's just a stopgap, but it kinda bites in the interim.
e;fb

It's colossally stupid--Heldrakes are now no longer able to move their heads left to right, despite having a lengthy neck!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

Remember what happened to all those people that bought flamers after the WD rules came out, before you run out and buy a ton of horrors...

...? What's the end of the sentence?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Lungboy posted:

That's it. GW nerfed Flamers massively after everyone had rushed out and bought every flamer they could lay their hands on. GH is suggesting he not rush out and buy a shitload of Horrors.

Concerning the table in the Psychic deck, I think it's best to just forget it. It's not in the main book, some of it doesn't tally with the BRB/FAQs, so pretend it doesn't exist.

On a similar note, from the allies matrix in the basic rulebook, it would seem to indicate that imperial factions (aside from space marines, who now have an exception in the FAQ as long as different chapter tactics are used) cannot actually ally with each other since the book says that "allied detachments can't be from the same faction as your main detachment" and Armies of the Imperium are listed as a single faction. Amazing.

serious gaylord posted:

That never stops being funny though. Its what power gamers deserve.

What about the non-power gamers who bought flamers though? They seem p cool

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Armies of the Imperium isn't a Faction, it's a group of Factions.

I get that you know that, having played 40k for some time now. Likewise, I wasn't confused by it either. But it's still worded poorly and would be confusing if you were new*

*who are we kidding here

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 27, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fix posted:

Weren't you going to quit playing?

What you take someone seriously when they say that in a discussion thread?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

Sounds like you shouldn't have been "holding them at bay" and should have been in their base killin their dudez!

I agree it can swing against you and that's part of the deal. However, just dont play the maelstrom missions if you don't like it. *shrug* I have had fun with them so far.

Given that you can draw an objective card and then score it on the same turn, i.e. your turn it's fairly common to score cards without your opponent ever having a chance to take them or do anything about them. This happened multiple times in the games of 7th I played with ANAmal and Shadow Daishi and I only one one of those games because I drew 3 "Take objective 3" cards in the same game, including 2 in the same turn while I was already parked on that objective. They never had a chance to score those points and fell behind when they had to waste a turn discarding a card that wanted them to destroy a flyer/FMC that wasn't in the game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

You guys do know there's still the old set of missions, right? If the Maelstrom (Wackiness) of War isn't suitably cinematic just play the Eternal War missions.

Of course there are. And we'll probably end up playing those again. But we wanted to try out the new mechanic that represents 50% of the new content in 7th edition, and I'm sharing the experience, which was "good idea, problematic execution."

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm aware you're in a group where the cards are preferred, which is unfortunate for you, but it is still only a problem* with that version of the game. The old style is available, and your group should be willing to play how you want at least some of the time. Otherwise the problem is less with the game and more with your friends.

*For the people who don't like it.

Seriously guys, new edition is out and you think what, we're idiots for trying out the new cards system? Come on.

Lord Of Texas posted:

As it is, Games Workshop is trying to take their core product and aim it firmly at non-core players. As always there will be a section of the audience that enjoys it or simply is too stubborn/deep to switch hobbies, but they are alienating a lot of potential customers, including me, with their "one-size-fits-all" approach.

The issue with their approach is that the level of randomness doesn't actually make the game less complex or more accessible, it just means there are more rolls and tables to look up with too little upside. I agree that they should have a simplified version of the game that can act as a gateway for new gamers but the current version of the game is too complicated in ways that it shouldn't be (too many tables, lots and lots of USRs to memorize, FAQs to download) and not enough in the ways that it should be (tactics and strategy, using units together well), and that's kind of independent of any attempt to make a one-size fits all strategy.

A beginner version could be cool though, particularly if it really narrowed the available units per faction to limit the number of USRs and create a more balanced, quick experience. Kind of like a larger kill team, really.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

This is too a false dichotomy, though one that has been enshrined by game design trends. I understand why people don't like random movement, because it makes units and plans for those units less reliable, but fundamentally that's no different than the effects of random accuracy. And it's just as fitting. Wars have been won and lost by units not getting where their commander wants them to be when he or she wants them to be there.

Yeah but don't reserves rolls already do this enough? He's not saying there shouldn't be any randomness, just that there needs to be less of it--remove random run distance and you still have random charge length (also bad), warlord traits, psychic powers, power tests, deep strike scatter, etc.

My larger issue with the movement stuff is that the outcome is just likely to be what they refer to in Magic design as "feel bad" moments--the player stuck in the open or missing his movement goal feels bad about not accomplishing their outcome, with little upside for the other player (beyond "ha ha, you hosed up your roll!") Comparatively, something like sweeping advance has a large upside--your good rolls wipe out the enemy, but in the worst-case scenario you are still winning a combat, not falling flat on your face as your 200-year-old genetic supermen try to sprint.

Fix posted:

e: ^^^^^ Those all seem pretty cool.

Oh, something else about the tactical cards I forgot about last night: They should have included cards for Slay the Warlord and Linebreaker and First Blood, because using the cards themselves to track the score would be useful. The same goes with the psychic deck: they should have put an extra card with the Perils chart in there.

Totally agree here--we ended up having to go back and try to remember who got first blood halfway through each game because we were only keeping track of the cards!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

koreban posted:

ugh card missions are so bad and the old mission suck. if only there was another way to play warhams that didn't use the same tired missions or random pokerface card decks

Are the missions in there any good?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

Crossing a few tiles of desert can include a ton of factors outside the player or models' control, though. You got sinkholes, slippery sand, sprained ankles, dropped kit, dudes crouching and scuttling because of random fire, and all the other nasty things that cross and live on those few tiles of desert. In fact, the more I think about it, a wargame about future combat with ridiculously powerful weapons would make a lot of sense if randomness didn't affect how effective those weapons were, but did affect one's ability to get those weapons in proper position. It's not a question of whether or not your mega-cannon can destroy a bunker, it's a question of whether or not your troops can maneuver that mega-cannon into position to fire on that bunker.

Yeah I'm fairly uninterested in whatever justification you can come up with for those rules and more concerned with the rules themselves, the experiences they create, and how they impact the quality of the game. I am more than willing to accept levels of abstraction for things like firing accuracy of space marines vs. guardsmen based on the quirks of a d6 system. Maybe crossing a desert would slow you down, but I play on a city board with open clean streets show why should I care about that? Some random elements are good, others are not, and the justification for the bad ones doesn't make them better.

krushgroove posted:

I'm thinking someone will make First Blood, Linebreaker and Slay The Warlord cards for people to print off and use...

Sure, and it'll be a good idea when they do that. It's too bad they didn't come packed in with the $230 munitorum edition though!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

Oh come on, dude. One guy trips or sprains his ankle, so another guy helps him along, slowing the entire unit down. You invited examples of things outside the player's or models' concerns, and I gave you some.

...and this happens at least 18% of the time a unit tries to move at a pace faster than a jog

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

For the umpteenth loving time: I am not defending 40K's particular implementation of random movement, just attacking the idea that random movement is inherently wrong or illogical, while random combat resolution is not. Look at modern warfare: it's not a question of whether or not an Apache can blow up a truck, it's a question of whether or not that Apache can get in position to blow up a truck. A game with random movement and fixed combat resolution is no more random and out of player control than the opposite. It just refocuses where that randomness occurs. Would players like it? I'm not sure. We've been well conditioned to accept fixed movement and random combat resolution as the way wargames work.

But no one is saying that random movement is wrong or illogical, we're saying that it's a poor design choice. We are talking about the design of the game, which is wholly independent from whatever fluff justification you want to come up with. There is an inherent tradeoff between randomness and skill, and we're arguing for a game that is more demanding (and rewarding) skill-wise.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

Magic: The Gathering is a solid game ruined by intentionally unbalanced :shepspends: cards and lovely players.

This reads like you haven't played Magic in 10+ years

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

"This represents your warlord arguing against his incompetent superiors. Note, choosing this option with an Imperial Guard warlord allows your opponent to immediately score the warlord VP as your warlord will be summarily executed once the battle is complete."

For once I actually like your bullshit fluff reason for something :)

VVVV "Every Russ in my army is piloted by BATMAN

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 29, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Panzeh posted:

2nd ed overwatch is the kind of mechanic that makes more sense in the smaller scale that 2nd ed had. Unfortunately when GW increased the model count with 3rd ed, you kinda had to ditch rules like that. I think in theory a "defensive fire" model of overwatch is a good idea, it's just really badly implemented. Flames of War does it a lot better.

What's the flames of war implementation?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Gate posted:

It's team-by-team (model) for FoW. Everyone shoots normally, friendly teams close enough can fire even if they're not being directly charged. Means a very spread unit can be hit piecemeal, or several densely packed ones can provide extra fire. Trick is, if the defending unit is "pinned down" (took 5 or more hits that shooting phase; note hits, not wounds/failed saves), then their rate of fire is cut in half. Drops most guns to 1 shot. If the defenders score 5 hits on the enemy infantry then they are driven back, if not then the assault proceeds and combat is fought sort of similarly to 40k. Losing an assault tends to be decisive, and it's one of the only ways to easily shift dug in infantry.

Veteran, concealed, gone to ground FoW infantry is only hit on 6's and has a 3+ save, for example. It's hard to kill, but slow and not usually amazing against armor. Very different dynamic, and there's ways to get them out of cover or pin more easily in the game (recon teams, artillery, air strikes), but assault is the high-risk, high-reward move for sure.

Ah, thanks.

Unrelated note, I'm assembling a Land Raider Crusader that I got from a buddy and those metal bolter sponsons are maybe the worst bits I've ever had to deal with.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Oh you poor son of a gun. If you want plastic sponsons instead, I've got two of the modern Crusader sprues, sans assault cannons. I wouldn't wish those metal sponsons on anyone.

Thanks for the offer but you're too late--they've already been assembled and placed. Now I just need to figure out how to get the loving Multi-melta to stay on.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

But but but they all have Crew: Space Marine. What, they removed the "Crew" section one or two editions ago to prevent confusion about spess marine drivers and guardsmen drivers jumping out of their destroyed vehicles? :reject:

It was hilarious when Imperial Guard could take an Escape Hatch. That 150+ point Leman Russ you just destroyed is actually only worth half Victory Points (or none?) if the screaming, on-fire Tank Driver model was still running around on his 25mm base.

Metal minis have a bad name mainly because the blisters end up being something like $18 for two models. That hurts. They're also far more difficult to convert and pose.

What are plastic minis missing? A nickel superglued into the base, that's what. It definitely helps them feel more substantial on the table rather than just a flim flam throwaway unit.

Sorry, $20 for three models: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Battle-Sisters;jsessionid=7D327D06D924673EC9F2FBF87FA9A336

So.... $60+ for one squad. Ouch. It is only within the past year or two that the plastic kits have been butchered into squads of 5 that cost more overall.

I like that the plastic minis seem paradoxically more durable. I'm less likely to see paint chip off them at the edges and when I drop them from really short heights, I can expect they won't completely shatter. Also, hauling around a bunch of plastic minis is way easier because of the lower weight. Let me tell you about having a metal Space Marine Dreadnought.

I do use nickels for the bases sometimes though, particularly if the plastic model is in an unstable or lop-sided pose.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah if I never have to glue metal bits to a plastic mini again it'll be too soon.

lol I'm doing it again this evening with this goddamn Crusader I HATE YOU LAND RAIDER CRUSADER WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE THE ONLY LAND RAIDER WORTH TAKING

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Sex Cannon posted:

This, forever.

I kind of can't stand that metal space marines are like 10% shorter than the plastic ones

PierreTheMime posted:

Painted up a metal mini:

Last of the Obliterators for now. I can never justify more than two, as there's just so many other awesome things to field.

That looks rad as gently caress. I have some of the metal oblits. Those things weigh a goddamn ton.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cataphract posted:

Battle masters was my gateway into the hobby. I even painted the whole set with terrible testors oil based paints.

Same but HeroQuest

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cataphract posted:

On the topic of orks. I just painted my 50th Ork Boy! My bad moons army now looks like this

Worst/best thing is that that army is a mere 1300 odd points so there's still a bit of a way to go.

Nevertheless, I am quite proud of having painted this much. I've owned these models for years (some are from 3rd edition) and have always found the prospect of painting them very intimidating; there's just so many. But now, with a decent sized painted army and a new codex around the corner I am so excited to WAAAGH!

Awesome work man! I feel your pain on being intimidated by painting a full army. Keep at it!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

Sweet. I miss running Straken and having him be a hero... should do that more often.

Also, Fix, check it! To everyone else, Fix sold my brother a small plasma globe a few weeks back - he just finished this terrain piece. Looking forward to getting a game in with it - we'll have to make up some rules for it.

This owns a fuckload

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Almost finished painting my new Land Raider Crusader (just a couple minor bits that need to be touched up, but otherwise it's done). I hate the poo poo out of the metal bits on this model.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 7, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

SRM FAN SERVICE

SRM FAN SERVICE

hahaha, look man I been painting red guns and yellow melta barrels since 2nd edition; I'm not about to change that poo poo now!

Drake_263 posted:

Is the hatch it's attached to glued into its socket? I tend to leave that not glued for ease of transport (also, easier to mark a destroyed weapon when you can just pluck it off)

Yeah I didn't glue in my multimelta to make it easier to just detach and transport.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

AndyElusive posted:

Bolt Guns eject taint and fire righteous fury. End of discussion.

this guy gets it

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Post 9-11 User posted:

Nay. Eldar, Space Marines, (including bucket o' Terminators) Imperial Guard stuff, Chaos Marines, Daemons, Dark Eldar, Dark Vengeance set, uh ... more than I forget.

You know what owns? Tallarns.

What owns EVERYTHING? Tallarn Rough Riders. It was the best of stores, it was the worst of stores, Harbourfront Hobbies And Crafts in Grand Haven, MI. Maybe the owner got fatter and died, can't seem to find it online. Remember how I said they had all kinds of old bits?

Some WHFB dude for the Sergeant. Lances were spare bits someone else was nice enough to give me, yes those are Krak Grenades strapped to the tips.

Sarge has a meltabomb on his back. :neckbeard:

Have the turtle totems, too. Turtles all the way down, mang.

Do you have any unpainted space marine/chaos stuff? If so, IM me and I'll buy that off you. Also we should finally get together and game. I'll even make the trip to Staten Island :)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
More White Panthers!

In addition to finishing the 2nd tactical squad (2 bolter joes and a heavy weapon to go), I'm also working on a command squad to put in the Crusader until I can get some Terminators. The guy on the right is the company champion model, the guy on the left is an old Emperor's Champion I converted up from various bits back in the day and decided to go ahead and finish painting. I figure I can either use one of them as a Company Champion or use both as Relic-Blade wielding dudes in a Chapter Master retinue.

The dudes:

Side view:

Defending Glorious Leader:

In total, my army now looks like this:

1 Captain/Chapter Master
2 Emperor's Champions

1 Dreadnought

1 Tactical Squad (10) with Sergeant, Plasma Gun + Missile Launcher
1 Tactical Squad (7) with Sergeant (power fist), Meltagun
1 Assault Squad (5)

1 Vindicator
1 Land Raider Crusader

My goal is to finish the 2nd tac squad this week (I'm thinking a Heavy Bolter), then to move on to the command squad. After that it'll probably a be a Rhino then I have to figure out which of the following I want to do next (feel free to give suggestions):

- Bikes (7)
- Drop Pod
- Assault Marines (15)
- Tac Squad (10)
- Devastators (10)

I'm currently leaning toward the Devastators.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Boon posted:

Did a couple more Dire Avengers:

Great job! Those are really sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberLord XP posted:

I've been glancing through the Chaos Maries dex for giggles. Is there any way to make terminators or helbrutes troops? Or is it only Cultists, CSMs, chosen and the various gods CSM?

Just take an unbound list.

• Locked thread