Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I'm slowly starting to succomb to the pull of starting on 40K again. Thought Kill Team would be enough, but alas... they pull you back in :(

So... Grey Knights any good? I need an army with a relatively low model count due to time constraints and compulsive overthinking/modelling quirks.

I was thinking about running it with Inq. Corteaz so I can use a bunch of my existing kill team models as henchmen, and then just a few squads of marines, some termies, dreads and a dreadknight... maybe 1500 points?

Sounds completely stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It's from here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phantasos-Studio-Bemalservice/136800663098607
Including lots more pictures.

Somebody paid to have that done.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Master Twig posted:

He does the diamond formation, yes. Usually Draigo is out front since there's very little that can instantly kill him, and he can pass wounds on a 2+ no problem. Most wounds he passes on to Corbulo for the 3+/2+. Oh yeah, he also runs a Knight with this squad sometimes.

Why does he do that? How is it remotely fun for anyone involved!?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Too bad about the psyflemen :-(

What's the range of the new psycannons?
Is there still psybolts for stormbolters?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

How do salvo weapons work on dreads and terminators?

Thanks for all the answers :-)

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I thought so as well, but why does the Heavy Psycannon have a Salvo 3/6 option then? It's not exactly man portable...

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Wow, not even on dreads? Is there any decent anti armour left?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Reading 40K fluff is like listening to children play. They'll say the most awesome thing about their toy they can come up with at any given moment. Don't expect it to have internal consistency.

Improbable Lobster posted:

There are no bees on Sedge. They're all humans and space marines that have an Apoidea Helix that went out of control, transforming them into bees. Now they're cursed to forever pollinate, but can redeem themselves by stinging the enemies of mankind.

Those are obviously wasps!
:eng101:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Irrelevant question, since this is a bee/wasp argument.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

For Interceptors, the loss of Psybolt and the change of Psycannons to Salvo is a huge strike for their old role of "teleport in, gently caress up some tank's rear arc." It can still potentially be done, but power armored models with Psycannons are pretty unimpressive now. On the other hand, Incincerators are only 5pts, so the ability to jump up and flame some guys out of cover is much better than it was before. I don't think it's 135pts worth, but it's at least a use they have.

They can bring a teleport homer when they move around the battlefield, allowing for pinpoint deployment of stronger units while they toast foot soldiers.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Speaking of conversions- any ideas for how to kit bash some cool Myrmidon Destructors? The stock models are ok, but I'm not a fan of the arm guns and the sculpts are single pose. They also come with 3 different weapon sets, meaning I would have to either buy 9 to complete the set or do some conversions anyway.

I'm thinking of using some Thallax, giving them Cataphracti arms, and sculpting some robes (or using black templar torsos) onto the front. Something like this:

That's awesome! Looks extremely dangerous.

BULBASAUR posted:

No idea what to do with the heads though.
e: Probably needs more skulls

Put a servo skull in there and call it a sensor array. So yes.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 26, 2014

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Ok, trying to start a Grey Knight/Inq allies army to get back into this whole 40K thing. Does this look OK for a startup list? It's not supposed to be super competetive.

code:
+++ TetstGrey Knights (1500pts) +++
+++ 1500pt Grey Knights: Codex (2014), Inquisition: Codex (2013) Roster (Combined Arms Detachment, Inquisitorial Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Grey Knights: Codex (2014) (Combined Arms Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (110pts)

* Librarian (110pts) 

+ Elites + (145pts)

* Dreadnought (145pts)  
      Psychic Pilot [ML 1] (Banishment, Sanctuary), Searchlight, Smoke launchers, Twin-linked autocannon, Twin-linked autocannon

+ Troops + (585pts)

* Terminator Squad (195pts) 
        * Terminator (hammer)
        * Terminator (psycannon)
        * 2x Terminator (sword)
        * Terminator Justicar

* Terminator (hammer)
        * Terminator (psycannon)
        * 2x Terminator (sword)
        * Terminator Justicar

* Terminator (hammer)
        * Terminator (psycannon)
        * 2x Terminator (sword)
        * Terminator Justicar

+ Fast Attack + (130pts)

* Interceptor Squad (130pts) 
        * 4x Interceptor (sword)
        * Interceptor Justicar

+ Heavy Support + (205pts)

* Nemesis Dreadknight (205pts) 
        Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis greatsword and power fist, Personal teleporter, Psyker [ML 1] (Banishment, Sanctuary)

Inquisition: Codex (2013) (Inquisitorial Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (31pts)

* Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (31pts) 
        (Independent Character, Stubborn)
        Psyk-out Grenades (*), 2x Servo Skulls (*)
        * Carapace Armour
            Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Frag and Krak Grenades

+ Elites + (294pts)
    * Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (97pts) 
        * Acolyte x5
            Chainsword, Flak Armour, Storm Bolter
        * Acolyte with Special Weapon x3
            Chainsword, Flak Armour, Plasmagun
        * Mystic
            (Psychic Beacon)
            Laspistol
        * Psyker
            (Brotherhood of Psykers (Mastery Level 1))
            Laspistol

* Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (197pts) 
        * Acolyte x3
            Chainsword, Flak Armour, Laspistol
        * Jokaero Weaponsmith x2
        * Mystic
            Laspistol
        * Psyker
            Laspistol
        * Rhino
            Smoke Launchers, Storm bolter
        * Servitor (Heavy Weapon) x 3
            Plasma Cannon

Created with BattleScribe

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Direwolf posted:

- not very shooty. 3 psycannons, 1 heavy psycannon, 3 plasma guns, 3 plasma cannons. The plasma's not bad but it's on very squishy targets, and you can't fire all 3 plasma cannons out the rhino at the same time.
- Unreliability of deep strike. I play a Deathwing assault army but with the Deathwing rules they all deep strike together. Unless you get the reserve reroll warlord trait or have some other way of ensuring they all come in, you might not get the alpha strike you need to protect the squads that do make it in
- Can the interceptor squad get a special weapon? You have very few guys in the army so you want the ones that are in there to be as punchy as possible.

This is basically the issue with the new GK codex..not very shooty. I can give the intercepters a psycannon, but it's salvo 2/4 now, so it's not going to be very well utilized.
Maybe I should just drop all those Inq shenanigans with the plasma/jokaero squad and get another DreadKnight :-/

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

SRM posted:

Incredibly silly:

Shut up, they are awesome. Even better was the tile-based programming language you were supposed to use with them. When they were damaged you'd flip counters like "Target an enemy?" to a D6 randomizer :psylon:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The hell are they? Haven't seen them before, only recognise the Thallax behind them

Number 3 on that old robot poster. I always loved that model :)

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

SRM posted:

I actually got an Epicast version of that turret but some rear end in a top hat stole it off my doorstep :argh:

Build it yourself. It's just a half a large square base, a bit of plasticard and some leftover Rhino bits :)

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Just imagine that thing trying to walk :psyduck:
I think I'm going convert a Castellax as a dread instead of that stupid thing. Seems to have basically the same size.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I dunno, there's still something about his style I absolutely cannot stand :-/

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Has anybody been playing with the new GK codex?
I bought it and a bunch of minis to start up on 40K again, but I'm hearing terrible things about it.
Was this a horrible mistake (apart from coming back to mans)?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, not having Inq. forces anymore sucks, as allies are frowned on where I play :-/
So far I bought some terminators, a box of power armour marines and two Dreadknights.

I worry a bit about anti tank stuff, but I guess the point is to just embrace this whole deep-strike teleport thing and go nuts with that and psy.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, people probably just have to get used to 7th :)

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It's not really the same firepower now that Psycannon are Salvo 2/4.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

The GK codex is pretty good at doing one thing, but outside of that one thing it really does not have very many options at all...

Yeah that's what I gather, thsnkd. It's really different to what I used to play, but since I got the models and really like them, I might as well give it a go, and then play with allies later.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

DJ Dizzy posted:

Grey Knights are allowed 12. Heh.

But then there's a cap of TEN terminators?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Still playing around with possible GK lists, how does this look:

HQ (155pts)
Librarian (155pts)- ML3 - storm bolter - Cuirass of Sacrifice

Elites (200pts)
Purifier Squad (200pts)
6 guys, 2 hammers, 2 incenerators + Rhino

Troops (585pts)
Terminator Squad (195pts)
5 Guys, 1 hammer, 1 psycannon

Fast Attack (150pts)
Razorback, twin lascannon (75)
Razorback, twin lascannon (75)

Heavy Support (410pts)
Nemesis Dreadknight (205pts) Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis greatsword,Personal teleporter
Nemesis Dreadknight (205pts) Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis greatsword,Personal teleporter

I don't want to start with more than one FOC as some of the games I'll probably play in the beginnning will not allow that. They also only allow CAD, so no teleporter rush shenanigans i guess :(

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

Someone say there's no points creep in 40k so I can post some scans of rulebooks that have 40 point Space Marine Bikers and 35 point Eldar Jetbikes (those figures could be wrong and are an approximation because my brain is a networked core of seven hundred cicada cerebrums).

1st ed. Land raiders cost more than 700 points.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Lord Twisted posted:

Xiphon Interceptor - new Marine flyer.

Looks pretty big, maybe a good starting point for a nicer Stom Raven conversion?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BlackIronHeart posted:

I was hoping to use the 15mm scale Leviathan Crusaders (or maybe Mortis variant) as Dreadknights but they weigh in at 4.5" tall which is way too out of scale, I feel.

Don't worry. I bought two for the same purpose, and they are basically a perfect fit in size.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

Been working on some Inquisitorial Henchmen.

Crusader. He's a grumbly dude who is often stuck guarding the Mystic, a thankless job that tries his patience greatly. I'm going to stick a cigar in his mouth, probably.
Going to be working on two more Crusaders, a Psyker, and some Death Cult Assassins. A bit lost on the last ones though; maybe I'll see if I have any of those Wood Elf models still.

Those are really nice! Are you running them in 40K or Kill Team? I keep wanting to include some in a 40K army, but it's a lot of time to spend on models who'll probably be vaporized while still in their transport :-/

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Longshot007 posted:

I think some of you guys are just disappointed they recycled the sentinel chassis.

That's a valid critizism to be honest. Look at what people have been building: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?225861-Adeptus-Mechinicus-Skitarii
AdMech has the potential for the craziest kind of stuff, so that thing is just depressingly underwhelming.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Does this count as tits?

Seriously, it's an awesome army, and I was expecting something even better from the official one.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It's very imaginative, that's for sure. I love his use of the flying dildo in the last few pages.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

http://www.powerfisted.com I also started a lovely blog - (lets face it, nobody wants to dig through 100 pages of BULBASAUR poo poo posts).

As someone who has done exactly that, I welcome this new optimized method.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Has the StormRaven gone out of production? None of the EU retails I have in my links seem to have it!?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Oh, haha, ok, didn't think of checking GW. It was just gone from Weyland and some Danish retailers. Probably just some stock fluctuation.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

I'm doing my Grey Knights with dark blue, silver trim, and random teal bits here and there. I've only gotten to do one so far :negative:

I'm just doing mine dark grey. I've almost finished one :-D

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

theironjef posted:

It looks like the solution to a lot of these is going to be painting right over the canopy or sticking bitz all over it before priming so it doesn't look like a canopy at all.

Thats's the old RT one :) The new one dones't have the canopy, and look stupid :(

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah the ones I remmber were on 40mm bases.

Square 40mm bases at that :corsair:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The problem with the robots is A)as someone else pointed out, the "head" of the robot looks like a canopy, so that the robot looks like a giant Gundam-style fighting machine with a pilot in it, rather than a robot; and B)as also pointed out, they don't fit the AM aesthetic. AM are basically "steampunk given a sinister twist" with spider-like attachments and complete limb replacements and so on and so forth. These robots are too sleek and clean to match well with the overall AM look.

They may be good starting points for something. The lower half actually looks pretty good, it's only the head and torso which are really terrible.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Raphus C posted:

Seeing all these knights makes me want to build Orky walkers and show them how it should be. All those Knights with close to identical poses. So boring to look at. GW should invest in giving them a more dynamic pose.

Here is a thread with a guy who posed his differently. It's an insane amount of work, but man do those groups of 5 in the same pose look weird.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Paul Bonner Orks, bitches:

Hell yeah, those WAAGH books with nothing but Paul Bonner pictures and awesome little stories in them were peak 40K for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Release video for Kasteleans. Still hate the heads, but those stubber/bolter/whatever arms are SO ED-209 that I have to love them :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkXmBqpnnw

• Locked thread