Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Questions!

Conjuration:
Do they score (battle forged bonus too then?)
Do they (conjugated daemon units) get one free icon/instrument/champion upgrade?

Psykers:
So if I roll only two dice to manifest, get boxcars (6 & 6) I perils but I pass?
...Even if it's WC3 power?
...Even if they rolled one or two Deny the Witch of a 6?
So we do get a Primarus if we roll all powers on the lore?
Do Chaos Psykers 'marked-X' or 'Daemon of-X' get X's Primarus for free? (Never saw actual proof of these)

Allies:
Are the 'Desperate' and 'Come the Apocalypse' still scoring? Do the troops still get Objective Secured?
Is the 12" distance only in the deployment, then just the 'one eye open' check if within 6"?

Assault:
Move Though Cover now ignores the problem with -2" on assault, what about Initiative penalty?

Conjuration:
They score. As for having Objective Secured I'm not sure they do. Objective Secured applies to Troops choices chosen for that detachment, and while conjoured units may be troops on pg 133 it says they "count as part of the army of the player that has conjoured them as far as Victory Conditions and the rules for Victory Points are concerned." So I'd go with no.

They do, as long as you have the models and you get them for free. No upgrades past that though.

Psykers:
Yes, if its a WC1 or 2 power.

Nope, you didn't roll enough successes to get it off.

To Deny the Witch they need to roll as many or more denials as you did successes. So if you rolled double 6 and they only rolled one denial, the power goes through. If they rolled two, you get Denied. Note it doesn't mean the power failed though, if you make your successes and it gets denied it doesn't count as failed for nasty spell side effects.

Yes.

Yes.

Allies:

Nearly everything scores now, the only exceptions are:
- Swooping FMC, Zooming Flyer or unit embarked on a Zooming Flyer
- Has a special rule that says it never counts as scoring
- Is Falling Back (becomes scoring as soon as it Regroups)
- Is an unclaimed building or fortification (claimed buildings are scoring units for the claimer's army)

:siren:EVERYTHING ELSE IS SCORING:siren:

Those Troops still get Objective Secured as long as they're Troops choices in a Combined Arms or Allied detachment.

Yes.

Assault:

If at least one model has to charge through difficult terrain then the whole unit swings at I1, regardless of other modifiers and if they aren't slowed by it.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

The first thing to determine is whether or not you and your opponent will be using points limits

:stare:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Is that AU or US? I could do an $800AU game the same length as a $500US one. Maybe shorter.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
AbusePuppy's doing his breakdown over at 3++.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Saalkin posted:

Really? That sounds retarded.

Not quite.

quote:

The players roll off. The winner of the roll off decides who will deploy first and who will deploy second.

The player that deployed first can choose to take the first or second turn. If they decide to take the first turn, their opponent can attempt to Seize the Initiative.

Pretty big change though.

Also, minimum range on barrage weapons is back! I hope you like exposing your 12/10/10 open topped Basilisk every time you want to shoot at something closer than 36" away. It's a good thing we have so many other artillery pieces in the Guard book we can use inste-

Oh.

Ohhhhh.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Icon Of Sin posted:

Deathwing just got a boost! :unsmith:

It'll be the only one they get this entire edition

Give everything a drop pod, deploy nothing, go second. Other player is now down a turn of shooting.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

this troper posted:

God forbid Imperial Guard get a single strike against them in an edition change. :mad:

I'm just still salty that I finally got my hands on an original Griffin weeks before they dropped it from the book :(

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

Infiltrators and Scouts can never charge on their first turn, even if you went second.

Vale Khorne dogs.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm trying and failing to see a way by which you can attempt to Deny conjurations.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

If a template weapon hits a building's Fire Point or an Open-Topped vehicle and there is a unit embarked inside that building or vehicle, then in addition to any other effects that unit suffers D6 hits, resolved at the Strength and AP of the weapon. These hits are Randomly Allocated.

:supaburn:

Rulebook Heavily posted:

You can try to deny ANY power, it's just when it happens against your units that you get potential bonuses. So, basically just roll and hope for sixes.

But to make a test you need to "select one of your units that was a target of the enemy's psychic power." If your units are not being targeted by the power you can't make the roll. Only way I can see Denying a Conjuration is to have a Psychic Hood within 12" of the summoned unit and argue that as the summoned unit is the target of the power you can then stand in their stead and try to Deny it, like you would if you were within 12" of an enemy unit receiving a Blessing.

e: Even then it's not clear. "is targeted by an enemy psychic power" An enemy of who? The psyker wearing the hood or the unit being targeted?

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 24, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Nah, look closer down the same page. It's a little obscure but "If none of your units were the target of the enemy's psychic power... you can still attempt to deny the witch." The only difference is that you can't apply modifiers to the dice rolls. (And you can attempt to deny anything, from blessings to conjurations.)

I'm not really sure why they list that as an exception to the weirdly specific general rule of "you have to choose a unit to deny" but there it is.

Oh wow, so there is. Thanks for that. Yeah, why specify you need to have a unit affected then go on to remove that requirement? It would have made more sense to say "You can always attempt to Deny the Witch, however if the target of the psychic power is a friendly unit you make claim the following bonuses to your roll:" etc.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Kaysette posted:

The word of the day is "summonstar" according to dakka. Dude's army is all Herald of Tzeentch and pink horror spam with three soulgrinders:

quote:

Total Cost = 1995

Total Power Dice = 39 + D6

Total Summon Daemon Spells = 15
Total Number of Times Heralds get to roll on chart = 27
Total Number of Times Pink Horrors Roll on Chart = 6

Number of Times you can cast a Level 3 Spell with 6 dice = 6 Times

Cursed Earth gives the Soulgrinders 4+ save, Tzeentch let's the reroll 1s.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's my post. I play a lot of games on Vassal at work. I changed it though to having 4 Soul Grndrs once I figured out how to properly do FOCs. I was fun and fluffy but there's no real world way to play it without A. Designing or substituting your own daemons B. Spending more than 1000 dollars on the army to have access to all the Daemons. It's functionally limited by how much money you have. Basically each summoning spell you cast is like 60 dollars.

GG GW, next map

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Dump_Stat posted:

So, what's the verdict? Did assault get better? And if so, how so?

I'm going to get my books tomorrow :)

Nope.

FMCs can't charge the turn they change movement modes (but they can after they get Grounded). Infiltrators and Scouts can't charge on the first game turn, even if they go second. Assaulting through difficult terrain is a flat -2 to your charge, so your charge range has gone from 2-12" to 0-10". Yes, now you can fail a 1" charge. Still swing at I1 if you have to go through difficult terrain, even if you have a rule that allows you to not be slowed by it. Wounds from challenges can spill into and out of the challenge now. Smash is now 1 attack instead of half of them. Vector Strike is now 1 hit unless you're charging something else that's flying, in which case its D3 hits. Still can't assault from reserve and rumors of being able to assault out of stationary transports were unfounded.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Since I saw that walkers are getting better, are Sentinels any good? I really like how they look.

Sentinels look fantastic and even though vehicles have gotten tougher they're still AV10 2HP walkers that will get glanced out when something looks at them funny. It's a shame because I love mine but for the cost of a pair of Scout Sentinels I can get a Primaris Psyker with a few trimmings who is so much more useful.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 24, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ghetto wormhole posted:

What exactly got better about walkers aside from the vehicle damage table?

Smash attacks being only 1 attack now and the ubiquitous quad gun now only snap fires against ground targets. That and not being exploded on a stray autocannon hit is about all. I mean they're still slow and even lost the free pivot in the shooting phase. They might see a bit more use but I don't think we'll see a new golden age of all dreadnoughts all the time now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

The Sisko posted:

What are the effects on the perils table?

Roll a D6:
1 - Take a Ld test. If passed take a wound/glance with no saves. If failed remove psyker as a casualty and the unit suffers D6 S6 AP1 hits allocated from the psyker
2 - Psyker takes a wound/glance with no saves and the psyker loses one random power for the rest of the game
3 - Psyker takes a wound/glance with no saves and if its still the psychic phase roll a D3 and both players lose that many charge points
4 - Psyker takes a wound/glance with no saves
5 - Take a Ld test. If failed the psyker takes a wound/glance with no saves
6 - Take a Ld test. If failed the psyker takes a wound/glance with no saves. If passed the psyker gains a 3++ save as well as the Fleshbane, Armourbane and Smash rules until the start of the next friendly psychic phase.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cataphract posted:

I've painted close to 50 ork shoota boys over the past couple months... I'm almost certain they're going to make choppas really good again and I'll have to paint more boyz.

See this post? This is what you call boundless optimism.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Cataphract posted:

it appears to be temporary. I just read the "choosing your army" chapter and my mind is boggled. It seems even a "battle forged" army can take multiple "combined arms detachments" and, from my reading, they don't necessarily need to be from the same codex... what is going on? this chapter is so flippping confusing.

No, you've got it right dude.

Just wait until you get to where it lists what units can score.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Now your boyz can get incinerated by Hellhounds and Heldrakes both inside and outside their transports!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
$105 USD ahahahahaha

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sulecrist posted:

Do you think the 7th Edition changes generally justify non combi-weapon kit for Marine Sergeants and the like?

I've got a Veteran Marine Sergeant with a combi-flamer and power fist that I will probably never ever use because it's a 59 point 1W/2A/3+Sv model but goddamn if it isn't Space Marine as gently caress. I think in 7th he'll go from "detrimentally useless" to just "detrimentally expensive and very situational".

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So, uh, do barrages no longer hit the top level of a ruin now? An explanation as to how a barrage interacts with terrain with multiple levels seems to be entirely absent.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So I'm not just blind? We can really place barrage blasts on the bottom floor of a multi-level piece of terrain now?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

AbusePuppy posted:

"Levels," as they were defined in earlier editions of the game, are gone- blasts and templates hit all models underneath the marker unless you and your opponent decide to come up with some sort of special rules for handling things. The old "three inches for a level" thing is even gone, although vertical distance to climb through terrain pieces is still part of the rules, it's just not a fixed number for all terrain pieces now, nor a special feature of ruins and only ruins.

:psyduck:

One step forward and three steps back.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I just realised that Commissars will only summarily execute a nearby psyker if it looks like they'll summon a daemon by accident. If the psyker summons them on purpose they're fine with it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hollismason posted:

Huh so uh Drop Pod armies are a little crazy. Just had my rear end handed to me on Vassal by one. There's no you gotta put some poo poo on the board rule anymore?

Nope.

Hollismason posted:

First turn game ended, he just put all his drop pods on every single goddamn objective on the board. Dedicated transports get objective secured. That's some bullshit.

Yep.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm pretty sure you still need at least one model on the board at game start.

Nope.

Hencoe posted:

I thought drop pods had in their entry that they can never score or contest, which overrides Objective Secured.

Nope.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 30, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Bavius posted:

This guy knows what is loving up.

Nope :v:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Good call with using the drops that way. I'm probably gonna steer clear of them altogether. I'm now being labeled a "hyper-competitive math-hammering shitbag" in the local hams group, so gently caress it.

So these shitlers have a problem with how 7th now treats scoring vehicles, and by pointing out that the rules have changed they have decided to change the rules themselves to disadvantage you and the miniatures you own and somehow you are the "hyper-competitive math-hammering shitbag".

gently caress hams, gently caress Warhammer, gently caress GW, gently caress these assholes, play a better game.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 30, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The new rulebook is certainly allowing Tuxedo Jack and his group to Forge a Narrative!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I guess its indicative of how useful they were last time around that I am surprised that Flashgitz are base 3A. Looks like they finally got a halfway decent gun now.

If all proper Orks have 'Ere We Go! that'll go a long way to helping them out.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ignite Memories posted:

Haven't they always been base 3A? They're nobs.

Yeah, I've just literally never played against them nor looked up their stat line despite knowing and playing against two Ork players.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Raphus C posted:

You should know all the recognisable symbols of fascism so that you know when to be offended you're talking to a loving fascist.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

TsarZiedonis posted:

this just reeks of poor planning and no playtesting.

Welcome to Warhammer, enjoy your stay.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Wrong thread

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I guess bolter shells being caseless or not is a useless argument we haven't had for a while.

Proceed.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sulecrist posted:

I kept a few BFG fleets and I'm really glad about that.

I've got three Imperial Battleships in my fleet and even though one came with two port side engine clusters and looks funny I'll not be getting rid of those for love or money.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

SRM posted:

As always, these guys own. Don't stop doing what you're doing. And god drat do I wish heavy bolters were as effective as they are cool.

Heavy bolters need to be Salvo 3/4. Or at least 2/3.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Bahahaha get the gently caress out of here GW

vvv AU

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 14, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Ignite Memories posted:

Holy poo poo, that painboy is like 2nd edition ugly.

I think you mean Rogue Trader awesome :colbert:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 17, 2014

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BULBASAUR posted:

That's what struck me. If they just scanned images of the rulebook it would look much better. Instead some intern went through an excel spreadsheet and pasted stuff into google docs.

All the .epub and .mobi versions are like this. There has been zero effort spent on formatting them to look remotely pleasant or easy to read, and these walls of text with awkward pagebreaks and gigantic images placed slipshod here and there are asking for as much or more money than properly laid out hardback versions.

This loving company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Kirby at 3++ has a breakdown of the new Ork Codex.

Goondolences.

• Locked thread