Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
They hosed up the HW serial chip so had to botch in a slow-rear end SW method at the last moment.

The default tape protocol is equally crap. It saves two copies and if they differ it just goes "LOAD ERROR" and gives up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

spengler posted:

i think this is why the c64 demoscene is still a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8onlB0F1_A

this is awesome btw

the bit at 5:40 (shown in the vid thumbnail) reminds me of ballblazer

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
wizball loving owns. amiga/ST ports may be a little better graphically but man that fuckin theme music and game over ditty sound so sick on the sid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxhP6vD3unY

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Breetai posted:

Beach Head II is a fantastic game that's comprised essentially of 4-5 minigames where you boat your people across to an island ruled by a despot, land them under machine gun fire, attack targets, and make your escape, and it's distinguished by the fact that Player 2 can take over completely from the computer making it a very early head-to-head minigame fest.

Raid over Moscow is an excellent shmuppy-type deal where you get to mortar-bomb the Kremlin.

X-out is my favourite shmup on the C64 and is well worth a look-in.

Bruce and Roger Carver wrote Beachhead and Raid over Moscow. I got to meet one of them and apologize for pirating it. He offered me a job.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

spengler posted:

i think this is why the c64 demoscene is still a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8onlB0F1_A

Holy poo poo. This was all made with machine programming?

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Ema Nymton posted:

I once tried out C64 emulation specifically to confirm in my mind that Give my Regards to Broad Street really, actually exists.
Not only does it exist, but it came with a street map of London, with all the Underground stations marked, which you had to memorize.

raditts posted:

But didn't you need 128 mode to get the music to play in Ultima V?
Yeah, it also let you use 2 1571 drives so you didn't have to flip the disk for every single loving encounter. Ultima V and BBS's were the only things I ever used 128 mode for. BBS's because it could display 80 column text, and also take a 512K RAM expander if you wanted to run your own BBS.

As for Below the Root, you were supposed to read the Green Sky Trilogy first, it's some good Young Adult fantasy. Instead of just making a video game adaptation, Zilpha Keatley Snyder wanted to write a 4th title for the series but present it as a computer game. A lot of little things in BTR make a LOT more sense when you read it. It's still fun to play, and someone even made a complete map out of screenshots.

Wasteland is still fun. And PIRATES! was pretty awesome, I played a "take a drink every time you capture a ship" drinking game with it.

Seconding "play Paradroid till you drop".

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Watching amazing C64 demos (Fairlight!) reminds me why I was hooked into computers in the first place. Even as a 5 year old kid I could sense the amazing mastery behind making that clumsy beige box show these wonderful things on that small screen my dad got to do some light CAD work at home.

As to OP: you need to find two joysticks, a friend, and International Karate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BOXR008V2I

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

I had one as a kid.
Ignore these lists.
Play these games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1A-BNafyDk
Fort Apocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeCZaxVP0nk
Raid on Bungeling Bay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5EtR79G99Y
Blue Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc1stgFZrQ4
Jumpman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwHe4lO8as
Prince of Persia

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 29, 2014

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

tango alpha delta posted:

apologize for pirating it

Beach-Head was one of the few titles I actually purchased, by saving up my after-school work money

That was before I discovered the back pages of Computer Shopper magazine and learned the secret of "backups"

gently caress, remember when Computer Shopper was >500 pages and came out 4 times a month?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

We were dirt poor when I was a kid. When I see now that the VIC 20 my mom gave me for Christmas 1982 was $300, I appreciate it even more. I remember not having enough to buy any games, so we went to the library and checked out a giant book of BASIC games. That kept me busy for a while, until I did enough work to save up and buy some carts for it.

I remember one text-adventure game I got (it was some generic thing) that still cracks me up. I was somewhere underground with a mirror, a lantern, and a bunch of other crap in my inventory. I was on a cliff and I had to get past a sleeping bear. This game had the typical two word parser: verb, noun. Everything I tried resulted in "THE BEAR EATS YOU", or "THE BEAR IGNORES YOU", or even worse "YOU CAN'T DO THAT HERE" and "I DON'T UNDERSTAND X". I remember coming home from school daily for a month trying to figure out how to get that goddamned bear to move. Finally, in a moment of Zen I typed:

>SCREW BEAR

"THE BEAR IS SO STARTLED, HE FALLS OFF THE LEDGE".

I had a lot of fun showing that one to my friends.

Speaking of text adventures, did anyone ever have that "Farmer's Daughter" one? It was one amongst many disks full of games that my older brothers traded around at school and it taught me at a young age that hillbillies can and will assrape you on sight.

There was another one on the same disk called "Sweet 16", all I remember about it is that there's a room with a sex doll that malfunctions and rips off your dick if you try to use it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

buttcrackmenace posted:

Beach-Head was one of the few titles I actually purchased, by saving up my after-school work money

That was before I discovered the back pages of Computer Shopper magazine and learned the secret of "backups"

gently caress, remember when Computer Shopper was >500 pages and came out 4 times a month?

I used to sign the Compute! Books out of the library and devour them. Jim Butterfield was some kind of god to me. RIP Jim.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
All this nostalgia but none of y'all fucks are in here? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Bloody shameful it is. I seem to be the only real defender of the C64 in there. Even though I don't have one now but do rock out the Atari 8bit machines. (I have two. Original 70s 800 and a 130xe.)

Also play Defender of the Crown. C64 version is the most fun.

Also Mayhem in Monsterland and HERO.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

papa_november posted:

The lack of C128 exclusives is still odd because there's a fuckton of them out there - something like 5 million were produced. Nothing compared to the C64's 12+ million, but far more than a lot of other platforms that got tons of memorable games. Build quality was better than the breadbox C64 too despite it being three times more complex.

Its perfect compatibility with the C64 was the problem. There was an utter fuckton of software available for that system.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Captain Rufus posted:

That's the one where you can catapult dead animals with plague germs over the wall, right?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I have a C128 (amongst other computers, and expansions.. I sort of collect them.. I think the rarest thing I have is a "robotron" series computer, produced in east germany before the fall of the wall [it runs on a reverse engineered Z80 Clone and Basic]) maybe I should visit that other thread with some pictures.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The speccy playthrough on youtube is far better than the Commodore 64 one but the two versions are almost identical. If you can find a ROM with the cassette audio rip packed in Deus Ex Machina is one of the first fortes into "art games".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJBsYJ16IE

please

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"Oh, you want more capacity on your portable media? Take a loving hole punch to it." :allears:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Breetai posted:

"Oh, you want more capacity on your portable media? Take a loving hole punch to it." :allears:

hahaha yes

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

The amazing thing is the disks and drives can still work /today/ /right now/ wheras any PC floppies past 1994 were hosed 10 years ago.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

raditts posted:

Speaking of text adventures, did anyone ever have that "Farmer's Daughter" one? It was one amongst many disks full of games that my older brothers traded around at school and it taught me at a young age that hillbillies can and will assrape you on sight.
Same, I remember that hillbilly brothers had a crotchless rubber suit and a Porky Pig mask hanging in their closet. That left a mental scar. I had a small collection of dirty C64 games, Stroker etc. The crude 8-bit presentation made them extra creepy. There was one text adventure called "Wild Party" about a huge orgy, obviously written by an teenager who'd never had sex, it was pretty hilariously bad.

Breetai posted:

That turned out to be really bad for the disk, punching a hole to use the second side loosened up all the dust that the sleeve had trapped when it was spinning the right way round. The 128 version of the great 1541 5 1/4" drive was the 1571, it had TWO heads so it could use both sides of a disk at once, allowing you to save 340 kilobytes on a single disk. It was also thinner, had built-in power supply (iirc), and just generally looked cool with that C-128 beige design aesthetic.

My dad once borrowed a third-party dual disk drive for the 64, it was made for copying... it had drivers you could load into the DD, so when you inserted 2 disks it would automatically copy one to the other. Even when you unplugged it from the computer. So he copied 100's of disks with it. Newfangled. But normally copying took 2 drives, Fast Hack'em, and a whole lot of flipping.

You had to type real careful when using Commodore modems. The 300 baud one was super lovely, it plugged loosely into the cartridge port so if you bumped or moved the 64 at all it would lock up the system.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

dee eight posted:

That's the one where you can catapult dead animals with plague germs over the wall, right?

Ya goddamned RIGHT.

Yeah the ST and Amiga versions LOOK better. But the C64 PLAYS better. I took these shots for that CRPG community book project that's going on.
I am covering Ultima 1 and Defender of the Crown for it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Captain Rufus posted:

Ya goddamned RIGHT.

Yeah the ST and Amiga versions LOOK better. But the C64 PLAYS better. I took these shots for that CRPG community book project that's going on.
I am covering Ultima 1 and Defender of the Crown for it.

This just reminded me of all the SSI Dungeons and Dragons games, plus the Buck Rogers game that came out on the same engine. I spent a lot of hours playing those games.

Also, Skyfox was a fun, if somewhat simple, flight shoot 'em up.

Lords of Conquest was a pretty fun Risk-like strategy game. It strained a lot of friendships.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

all the games your brother stole and you had to trial-and-error the "codebook" copyright protection stuff with to play because he wouldn't let you have his photocopies

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
buncha nerd poo poo ITT

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

all the games your brother stole and you had to trial-and-error the "codebook" copyright protection stuff with to play because he wouldn't let you have his photocopies

this brother must have come with every computer sold because I had one of those too

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

AE-35 Unit posted:

this brother must have come with every computer sold because I had one of those too

I'm pretty sure that most computers had a coupon your parents could send off to get that brother.

I had one too. The jackass.

Barco Fiesta
May 26, 2009

a fantasy of olives
so im messing around with Vice and CCS64. which one is the better emu? both of them are kind of obtuse and im having trouble getting my mouse to work in maniac mansion on either.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

so im messing around with Vice and CCS64. which one is the better emu? both of them are kind of obtuse and im having trouble getting my mouse to work in maniac mansion on either.

Try the Joystick. Outside of GEOS gently caress all really used the mouse. And if a joystick isnt working swap joystick option.

I use VICE because its free. Commodore Forever is really great if you don't mind paying for a good emulator that comes with gobs of games.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Vice is better in the compatibility department I would say. Also yes, you need to use the joystick, the C64 wasn't really a mouse-computer.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

CaptainWinky posted:

wizball loving owns. amiga/ST ports may be a little better graphically but man that fuckin theme music and game over ditty sound so sick on the sid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxhP6vD3unY

yeah one of my favourites

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I like Vice as well

if you have a gamepad that'll work fine

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Ysa posted:

Anyone remember a text game that involved a huge mansion that you had to work your way around and solve puzzles? The things that stick in my memory are it had some sort of shrub maze outside and on the main staircase there was a "live" suit of armor. This game taught me the meaning of the word foyer even though it was probably a decade later before I knew how to pronounce it correctly.

edit: I almost beat Hitchhiker's Guide once but never made it past the first few lines in Leather Goddesses of Phobos.

It might've been Bastow Manor. My brother and I could never finish that goddamn thing.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

It's the leather goddesses of Phobos
to be precise it's the lovely 'sequel' to Leather Goddessess of Phobos

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Got a C64 for christmas when I must have been around 8 years old. I remember it took the better part of half an hour just to tune the TV to the right channel. I think my mom ended up getting rid of it after we got a sega. Still haven't forgiven her for that.

Super Blitz and Battleship was my poo poo. Mainly because it was the only tapes that even existed anywhere near me.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Or if you are hardcore:

C000 LDX #$00
C002 LDA #$49
C004 STA $0400,X
C007 LDA #$4D
C009 STA $0428,X
C00C LDA #$20
C00E STA $0450,X
C011 LDA #$47
C013 STA $0478,X
C016 LDA #$41
C018 STA $04A0,X
C01B LDA #$59
C01D STA $04DC,X
C020 INX
C021 CPX #$15
C023 BNE $C002
C025 RTS

Run it with SYS49152

It also had it's own 6502 CPU and 4 kilobytes of RAM. You replace the firmware with your own custom fast load code in one of the drive's 2 Kilobyte RAM banks.

Internally the drive could pull data off the disk very quickly, but for some bizarre reason the code to transfer over the RS-232 to the C64 was pure poo poo, so I loving rewrote it. gently caress Commodore.

The RS-232 cable that Commodore used to connect the 1541 to the C64 wasn't a true RS-232, but some kind of bastardized version. When I started really looking into the 1541's firmware, I noticed some really lazy coding. In short, here's how the 1541 loads software into the C64:

Fetches a sector off the disk and stores it in a 2 KB buffer in the 1541. This part is really, really fast.

Then it transmits the contents of the 2 KB buffer serially using a slow rear end hosed up protocol. The overhead was horrible and the error checking was overkill. It's just testing bits, Commodore. Do you really need to do all this extra poo poo?

The 1541 sends the bits and the C64 reconstructs the bits into something it can use. That's it.

I realized that the protocol really, really sucked and wrote my own. Looking back, a prefetch may have speeded things up as well.

MOS 6502 Machine Language loving rocks.

You are basically a wizard can I buy you a hat?

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

i clicked through to the guys blog and he literally has posts where he collects computers at the dump to publish the things people had on their computer in 1995

why

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

becrumbac posted:

i clicked through to the guys blog and he literally has posts where he collects computers at the dump to publish the things people had on their computer in 1995

why

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress yes what a game

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Captain Rufus posted:

All this nostalgia but none of y'all fucks are in here? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Bloody shameful it is. I seem to be the only real defender of the C64 in there. Even though I don't have one now but do rock out the Atari 8bit machines. (I have two. Original 70s 800 and a 130xe.)

Also Mayhem in Monsterland and HERO.

C64 Defender of the Crown was the best version because you could choose between stone, plague and fire projectiles for your catapult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kk9UfFEYvM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
And of course there's the Barbarian, where you could cut off head and the corpse collecting goblin would kick it :allears:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ORMf6SjTc

• Locked thread