Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
If you aren't averse to the public service, check out smartjobs and search for admin roles too.

A lot have no pre-requisites to apply and are very well paid. I don't know how competitive these are though, but most I have looked at just seem to require good organisation and things like basic computer and data entry skills.

e: sorry, smartjobs is just QLD (ironically), check out APS jobs.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Can't wait to see the cost:benefit analysis on that.

The money "saved" by lower dole payments would be a fraction of the cost of employing people to do drug tests on a regular basis.

Also :bravo: on placing the emphasis once again on only the jobless. Why not the pension? Why not people who receive negative gearing? School kids bonuses? Super concessions?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I know I always submit my first draft and only my first draft of any assignment I do. It's the professional way.

The adults are back in charge after all

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I love this government. If it's not fingers-in-ears shouting at everyone that this is the budget we had to have, it's furious back-pedalling and blatantly contradicting one another. We couldn't even get one of those charming, charismatic fascist governments. Their ineptness would be comedic if you were able to ignore how serious they are and will continue to be.
I like this potato hamster Abbott.

At this point, Australia is basically Fawlty towers with Abbott is Basil, trying desperately to cover up lie upon lie and not fooling anybody, whilst trying to impress and fawn over the upper class he pines to, while taking every opportunity to punish the riff raff he thinks are below him.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Those On My Beet posted:

He really has some avian like quality to his features, doesn't he?

They do say that birds are evolutionarily close to reptiles after all.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Someone just convince Turnbull to keep walking in the general vicinity of non-liberals until either the media or the liberals implode.

win win

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/doctors-go-on-attack-over-scare-campaign/2280234/

SA has shown up in the news again with a photoshop phriday image from last year, luckily Le Reddit has copped the blame.

Poe could not have been any more correct. When you are this far beyond parody there should be crimes against it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Has that been reported anywhere?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

"respecting the law" is about the most bullshit reason coming from our current immigration minister.

Breaking international law? fine
Breaking UN conventions? fine
Breaking universal human rights? fine

Spending a day or two in a country to attend the funeral of your young son? Nope, can't go breaking the rules now can we.

This cartoon villainy is pathetic and sad. Just as bad is that this move will have its share of supporters.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Those On My Beet posted:

Apparently plain packaging works, although The Australian would have you believe otherwise.

http://thekouk.com/blog/the-australian-s-claim-on-tobacco-go-up-in-smoke.html

I've never really followed Stephen Koukoulas, is he alright?

There was an interview yesterday on ABC radio which was made of solid gold.

basically, a cigarette company spokesperson was trying to explain that

A) Labor are bad
B) Plain packaging laws do nothing
C) Plain packaging laws are bad for business
D) Plain packaging laws increased sales
E) There is no conflict of interest in a cigarette company paying for this research

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Amazing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

I thought that was a very nice story actually, till right at the end when they decided this was a bad thing somehow??

Yeah, I thought the same. I mean, for "No one produced anything and no one earned anything!" a fair amount of people got out of debt.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

The internet is too.
(actual paid advertisement on Facebook. Literally a sponsored page)

The real talent would be making it non halal.

Not that anyone actually cares what halal is, only that it's related to Muslims.

Hey that air you're breathing? That's halal too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVPngzSE94o

This video will entertain you then.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_1SFf8t-ko

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Oh my god it's the "I don't oppose Islam as a country" woman :magical:

I remember her as the "Jews follow Jesus" woman

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Smegmatron posted:

The only people who've ever given me poo poo for being a university student or teacher are people who also bitch ceaselessly about how hard their jobs are, how bad the conditions are, or how they don't get paid enough for the work they do.

Ah yes, those notoriously overpaid teachers.

edit:

just saw this.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fruity Gordo posted:

I couldn't believe it when I found out that the community services teachers at TAFE are on casual contracts from semester to semester.

Quite a few of the ludicrously expensive private schools do this too. Hope you like having zero job security and getting fired every six months!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

There are loads of permanent teaching jobs, you just have to move to regional areas. But that is pretty much your only option if you are looking for stable full time employment (oh, and the combo of isolation and a new career will probably burn you out within 5 years, have fun)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

When I first started teaching (moved 6 hours away) there were two other teachers I was staying with, both a generation older than me. They said that when you graduated teaching college you got given a degree in one hand and your placement in the other.

Among the four high schools in my area there are literally zero trained ESL teachers. Most of them are teaching what they got taught at high school (if they were lucky enough to study the same language they are now teaching at all).

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

To add to the cultural obliviousness of Abbott yesterday, apparently he has just referred to "Canadia"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

It is impossible for the Australian Parliament to get any more ludicrous than it already is

I can't help but feel this is tempting fate.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Oh man there's a picture to go with it now.

"this man bores me, remove him from my presense"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

The state of Australian Politics:

Is some random dude better or equal to our current governing parties.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Just went to a housing investment seminar (spoiler alert: full of punchable shitheads), and while I have always understood negative gearing and housing concessions to be bullshit, the levels it reaches are just offensive.

The figures we went through:

House and land cost of 500k at the current rate of 5%

adding in 481 a week in interest repayments (no principal)
~3000 in rates per year
1200 in insurance
500 in agents fees to get to a total cost of 601 per week.

If you rent it out for 500 a week you are losing 101 bucks a week

Deduct 5252 off income tax for shortfall from negative gearing
Deduct 4725 in depreciation (2.5% on a 500k property)
Deduct 6000 in depreciation on fittings
Deduct 3000 for loan establishment deductions

This adds up to $118 bucks a week, or in another words, instead of paying $101 bucks a week, you are now receiving $7

Total tax deduction of 18,977, or to put it another way, the same tax paid per year by someone earning around $80,000

What. The actual. gently caress

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

Why did you go to this awful place?

Curiosity and nothing else on tonight. Also free beer and subway. It was genuinely interesting, if only to observe the horrible mindset that went on there. It literally started with talk of an ageing population with not enough taxpayers, and then got right to, OK guys, here is how to pay no tax ever.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Nuclear Spy posted:

But..but.. house prices double every 7 years!?!

That was covered. Worst case scenario is double every 10 years guys, so chill out.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

He really does have the awkward embarrassing uncle vibe going on doesn't he?

Reminds me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piUb5dgTl84

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Except it is a tax dodge, because it ignores the most basic ideas of accounting - that profit is the sum of revenue less the expenses incurred in earning that revenue.

It's akin to a banker taking a casual job at Dominos , never working a shift and then deducting $24k in interest payments on his Audi R8 from taxable income.

92% of negative gearing losses are from existing property (as of 2012). If the gub-ment were serious about it 'increasing housing stock', it would be limited to new builds.

If there genuinely was an issue with the things negative gearing is supposed to help (which of course there isn't), it would be super easy to fix anyway: Make the tax breaks some form of credit which has to be paid back from the sale of the property, and make it only apply to existing properties.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-06-11/carbon-tax-isn-t-killing-jobs-in-australia

quote:

Australia's carbon tax experiment doesn't back up those warnings. Although the country's macroeconomic indicators have flagged since the tax took effect, that had little to do with the tax, economists say. Meanwhile, the tax succeeded at reducing emissions. What Abbott paints as a cautionary tale may instead be a model for the U.S. and others to follow.

US take on the carbon tax. Interesting read and pretty detailed too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

BCR posted:

unions

And when you join a union, keep a record of your fees paid, because they are 100% tax deductible.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Just heard a radio interview with some business advocates spokesperson (I assume, no idea what else they could have been), talking about how we need to scrap penalty rates, specifically to employ more young people, as young people need the experience more than they need money.

This fukt countries agenda is coming through it seems:

Young people cannot get any welfare for 6 months
Young people are forced to apply for numerous jobs
Young people are forced to accept said jobs
Young people can now be paid less for the same work than their older counterparts.

All the while the government planning to give incentives for business to employ the older people.

Business is spoilt for choice! Who shall we employ this month? Should we get a government bonus for employing someone older? Or should we get someone yougner in to work nights, Saturdays and Sundays so we don't have to pay them penalty rates

:suicide:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bompacho posted:

Better get those shiny new jets serviceable so they don't look like a complete waste of money.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0613-3a140.html

Australia will protect Australian Values... In Iraq.

Wow, Obama looks really old. That is also one of the most punchable Abbott photos I've ever seen.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Mr Chips posted:

Every fucker tries to pull this poo poo. I had a professional staff job at a uni and crossed that bit out of the contract, and their HR rep signed off on it. Like gently caress they own the things I'm working on in my own time that have nothing to do with my job.

I thought that clause was to stop conflicts of interest related to your job most of the time. Is that right?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Kommando posted:

Tone considers himself a Conservationalist.

Of course he does.

quote:

"When I look out tonight at an audience of people who work with timber, who work in forests, I don't see people who are environmental vandals; I see people who are the ultimate conservationists

People who like cutting down trees for profit are conservationists, so he must be too.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I see Australian politics at a crossroads. The perception of politicians has never been lower and it is clear to me that people are looking for more from their political representatives. They are sick of the excuses, the falsehoods and the spin. They want more principle in their politicians. Politics is in need of serious reform - it can either be initiated by the political class or ultimately it will be imposed by our political masters, the people

Cory Bernardi :staredog:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I'm glad they are getting the opportunity for an education, as they very well should be. But this comment by Morrison:

quote:

"It is the government’s responsibility to ensure that detainee children within Australian facilities receive full-time schooling, in line with Australian community standards,"

Holy poo poo. How has this man not formed some kind of irony singularity by now and collapsed in on himself.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Captain Pissweak posted:

July's going to be ridiculous.

Have to keep pinching myself. Is the lynch-pin of every debated piece of legislation really going to be held by Glen Lazarus, Jaqui Lambie and Ricky Muir?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

My last exam is on the 18th and I would love to hatch a plan to use my free time better than online applications all holidays. I just need a lead but all I have is friends who work at Coles and reply "yeah it's tough hey."

Stacking shelves got me through uni , flexible schedule with not completely poo poo pay. Have you applied to woolies/coles?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

"We're not getting the outcomes we should expect from the billions and billions of dollars we invest in aid, so I want to see better outcomes."

Not giving money to the worlds most needy because they don't see it as a good investment. :wtc:

Hang on, does this mean the money they cut is going to be uncut and given to other groups now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I may not be as cynical as some, but surely that would be referring to NGO charities, and not outsourcing aid to for-profit organisations right....right?

• Locked thread