Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

One more good little thing in MGSV:

https://i.imgur.com/1EXFT8W.mp4

Finally getting around to building my robot friend :3:

Sadly maybe one of the last new touches I'll appreciate since the endgame showed up about 20 missions earlier than expected, and I don't know how many "[earlier mission]...but harder/stealthier" I can handle, even if there's more story along the way :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I knew there were some unresolved things i.e. Baby Psycho Mantis and Baby Liquid Snake, as I learned during random wiki reads :psyduck: but I wasn't sure how much was left in-game. Mainly I'm just sad because I'd seen the full number of missions thrown around and was surprised to instantly go from "wow, insane mid-boss!" to "oh....that was it" in one mission :|

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vic posted:

whoa aaaaaaaah

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

In Control you can force grab rockets out of the air and throw them back.

I randomly grabbed that with my credit from gamestop's buyback bonuses from a few weeks back and am an hour or so in, the presentation of casual psychokinesis in pretty much everything you do is awesome. Also the "explode into bits" animation is very satisfying, I'm still just randomly force-punching everything on walls as I walk by.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just got to the introduction of real telekinetic powers in Control, and it's so satisfying to yank stuff from behind your enemies and then throw it at them for a free one-two punch. Also everything you levitate makes the most adorable little spooky :ghost: noise when you make it fly over to you :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haha sadly no, I know I'm missing out on some goodness but between not wanting the ongoing hassle of keeping a PC current, and finding a separated game platform convenient, I've mostly moved to console gaming.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Switch people are crazy and will pay huge markups for old games.

Reported for doxxing :mad:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Flint_Paper posted:

More Metal Gear Solid, if Snake was an arsehole who stole people's sandwiches and dropped them in a pond for no reason.

:swoon:

Well I know what my next game'll be when I get some more time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

thehonkmeme posted:

Honk?

Honk?!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Protip: Goose Game is cute but kind of meh and I was tricked by the goon hype

:negative:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Here's a rebound, entering ZELDA as your name in the Link's Awakening remake still switches the music :3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

a real psychopath (or the dumbest person alive)

Reported for doxxing Bruce Wayne

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I keep reading about Outer Wilds but I'm never quite sure enough to check it out. It sounds brilliant but with a good chance of it just not working for me, I love Majora's Mask but it's about the only exception I can think of to stress overwhelming my enjoyment of games designed around countdown timers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Outer Wilds stress

Thanks (in a weird way), I think this is enough to settle me on not buying it. It still looks neat enough that I'll try to find a good playthrough on youtube, but it sounds like the odds are pretty high against it as a game I'd enjoy actually playing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is Last Guardian worth picking up overall? I was super excited before it came out, then my interest just kinda dwindled when it seemed I mostly just heard complaints about the creature mechanics in terms of actually playing it as a game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's about what I'd figured, I'll just keep it in mind for when I get enough store credit to pick it up for a few bucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

The last guardian is worth up to and including 40 bucks despite its flaws and I really like the architecture and spatial relationships of locations in it

More like oldcomplainless

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I've been down on some aspects of Control these past couple days but there's so much about it I love. It's oozing with style, for some reason one of my favorite little things is the giant text and little echoing "boom" noise whenever you enter a new major area

I don't even know why it works so well, but it's so good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

What about, and hear me out on this, Nintendo: Super Princess Peach...but good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll sign off on a Peach/Daisy/Rosalina game, Nintendo has it in em if they just try hard enough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean...do they?

Serious post: yeah, they do. They can still design top notch platformers when they really try, and the princesses have enough character beats to start from if Nintendo really wanted to use them. Samus was a weird situation with an idiosyncratic director given too much leeway.
Would it actually happen? Probably not in reality, but it's within the realm of possibility.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

in his mind she'd never do something like kill/capture people for money

Agreed, except in my mind it's because the money taints the purity of her love for violence and murder

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Not as simple as this given she spares the last metroid

That's just to tell the others in case she missed any

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Oct 10, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, she's agile and all, but I'm pretty sure she isn't just curling up for the morphball

:shuckyes:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

There’s a cute piece of fan art I’ve lost track of that shows Samus shrunk down inside the morph ball, and she’s sitting in bed watching TV. Just takin’ a break.

?

There's some other cute ones too (and also many for which I'd recommend turning on some sort of search filtering :|)

:3:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stepping away from Samus for a minute, I'm back on board with Control for now. Something totally unexpected is just how much of a delight mixing in live-action footage turned out to be. I don't know how it works alongside the regular gameplay, but somehow it feels like a glimpse into a different time rather than a jarring disconnect from the rest of the game world.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like to think her level of destructiveness-as-solution extends to all walks of life, like her roommate gets home to find their place a smoking crater with Samus out front cooling her blaster arm. "I did the housecleaning"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"You, uh, destroyed them all last week" would be a pretty fun in-game explanation, honestly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Goddammit Samus I don't care if you're ~responsible~ or not, way too many planets are exploding when you're around! You're off the case!!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I also love that they cast James McCaffery as the past director for the live action bits. He’s awesome and needs to be in more stuff, and he was perfect for that role.

That was what tipped me over the edge on buying it, I love that guy.

Everybody else is so great, I know I'm gonna work through that back catalog next, I don't think I've played a Remedy game since Max Payne 2.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Oct 11, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Though, she'd be an interesting fight in one of the Mario and Luigi games.

Well this just made me sad on multiple levels :rip:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly it rubs me the exact right way to see them using the same stable of actors that they like to work with. I'm kinda more excited about that for trying out Quantum Break and Alan Wake than I am about the games themselves.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:laffo:

I love this so much

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sorry to doublepost but I found the most idiosyncratic gameplay objectives ever for Control :haw:

Also (extremely minor spoiler) there's a memo about the paranormal stuff in Alan Wake :aaaaa:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

e: gently caress how'd I put my Control complaint in the good game stuff thread :derp:

Uh....the Ashtray Maze may be just about the coolest thing I've seen in a game. It doesn't even matter that it's basically a setpiece to walk through, it's stylish and trippy AF.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Oct 13, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I guess YMMV but it has that vibe and pulls it off in a very good way in my opinion. Neat story and setting, and all sorts of hints at a bigger world through the info you can pick up along the way.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Everything I hear about Control makes me super interested except for the way it hitches on an original PS4. I would love to sink my teeth into it but if it treats my console as a second-class citizen then I can treat it as a bargain bin title

I'd definitely keep it in mind, my problems with it are really outweighed by the good stuff. But yeah, loading times suck and it chugs at times (but mostly after unpausing). Its framerate problems are weird, it's not like it looks unbelievably better than other games that run well enough, and there's only one area that stands out as having a bajillion destructable things to slow things down. Maybe it's just having semi-destructable environments with physics for throwing stuff around, although it seems weird that those would be an issue *before* you destroy them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Well, I finally beat Control, and I absolutely recommend it despite my problems. It's one of those games that seems made almost entirely of those little touches that make you love it, and I think it'll stick with me for a long time. The biggest issues are also probably a lot more ignorable if you're not in the lowest skill percentiles so you're not lost or dying every five seconds at the tough parts.
I guess one of the biggest compliment is that I'm loving it enough to immediately start on the unfinished quests after finishing up the main game, something I rarely do.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

The ending was a bit of a "Huh...thats it?" moment because i was expecting it to be giant fight against your brother. On the other hand i'm pretty happy that it wasn't a big boss battle because combat isn't really the strong suit of that game, especially against stronger enemies.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the fight with esseJ was a lot of fun tbh and it could have been similar to that

Yeah, I'm a little bit torn. On the one hand I thought it worked fine on its own, on the other after [finally] beating esseJ something like that might've felt satisfying. Sorta leaning towards liking it how it is, because the bosses always leave me half satisfied and half angry because they feel tailor made to point out the flaws - spending almost 2 minutes loading/running back to the location takes away a lot of the satisfaction in finally winning when you've had to do it 8 or 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Leal posted:

For every pikmin you don't kill, I'll kill 2!!

Me, except it's because I'm very bad at pikmin