Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Please shut up ty

SI must have like a spinner to decide what thread he bumbles into and irritates the poo poo out of every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Samovar posted:

In Hades, your character's goal is to leave Tartarus while being thwarted by the big guy himself. Every time you die, you go back to the House of Hades; there you can find Cerberus whom you can deliver many pets and scritches. Seeing as you will die many times, you get many chances to give many scritches to a good boy.

When you get to the last gateway out of Hell, you'll find Cerberus waiting for you, ready to defend to the last...

Except your character refuses to fight him, and instead just bribes him with doggy treats to get out.

You say "just bribes him with doggy treats" like it's a simple matter and not a fuckin nightmare gauntlet of horrible poison bullshit rats and demons.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Let's go ahead and end the impending slapfight about TES before it starts huh?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
On the subject of TES, there is a fan made total conversion for Skyrim called Enderal on Steam. Iirc, it is free if you own Skyrim. It is a totally new world and campaign, fully voiceacted dialogue, new assets, the works. It is VERY good and better by a mile than vanilla Skyrim.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Couch deathmatch in Timesplitters 2 in a giant custom built parking garage was the height of fun back in the day

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does the crouch by itself help, or does it need the follow-through? Either way it's cool, though I still have no clue what my combat style will be in the end.

The crouch dodges high horizontal attacks, but in practice it's usually better to just dodge away

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The Australian desert is big enough that there was an uncontacted tribe wandering around in it until the 1980's.

When somebody told them about running water that came out of pipes they went "whaaaaaaaaat?!?"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah it seems pretty clear that the oceans are if not totally gone, much much smaller

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Randalor posted:

Wait, wasn't the chained floating island Mt Woe? And speaking of, Mt Woe is good if you like giant chains. The entire area is chained together on chains large enough that you use them to access the different maps, and it gives the feeling that the entire thing would fall apart if it wasn't for the chains.

Yeah, Zeal floated unsupported. Mt. Woe was on a giant chain.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
GBA game Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ocarina of Time has some decent sized chains you can walk up on the Hyrule Castle Town drawbridge

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

The best fake ending is Kid Icarus: Uprising, because it seems like the actual ending to a kind of short launch title where the replay value comes from scouring for unlockables and random drops and upping the difficulty.

But nope! The real main bad tears down the credits. You’re only 2/5 of the way through.

And then, a few levels later, it starts to get really crazy.

I wish this happened with The Minish Cap, because that game ended and I was like "uh, what? I just started this"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

why do they allow people to go near the water at all if it will loving eat you, why is the water not fenced off or something

Probably because walking out to get your mail in that world has a 60% chance of getting you murdered by a harpy or some poo poo, so nobody gives a drat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Carcer posted:

Mystic knight from Dragons Dogma will forever be my favourite class from any game.

Nothing has ever felt quite like beating the poo poo out of a glyph and watching a macross missile massacre of laser orbs just evaporate a dragon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Imagine giving a poo poo that Patton was the singer of faith no more instead of dillinger

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Holy poo poo, speak of the devil.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

small ghost posted:

Overall I found it less spooky than sunless seas but it definitely has its moments, that being one of them. There's some fantastically creepy random(ish) encounters in that game.

Yeah Skies had much more of a sense of "awe", while Seas was more "terror". Your mobility and combat power in Skies probably has a lot to do with that.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
This thread made me start playing half life 2 again and holy wow I forgot how much fun water hazard is

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that the airboat section? I heard so much bitching about that at release but I loved it when I played.

Yeah the airboat part. The feeling of driving that drat thing is so viscerally satisfying

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Taking down that loving chopper at the end STILL makes me feel all :hellyeah: 16 years later good god

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The RPGs are amazing in HL2. They track forever until they either hit the target or somehow whip back around and explode in your face

Oh I was talking about the chopper you take out with the gun attached to the airboat, but yeah the rpg kicks rear end too

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

One Free Bullet runs are fun as hell

How do you kill the chopper in water hazard like that?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Play arkham city/ origins / knight. play mad max. play saints row. play GTA. play horizon, zero dawn. all of those, off the top of my head, are better than sleeping dogs. Half those games aren't set in the US, and in one you're cop, another, a vigilante on the side of the law. No idea what you're trying to say here. Sleeping dogs is massively overrated.

Can you gently caress off somewhere else? loving grumpy Kramer sliding in here, top part of his hair quivering, to be smugly wrong about a bunch of poo poo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LITERALLY AN ADMIN posted:

Olaf, if you address Pastry like this again you're getting more than a twelve. You're pretty fortunate he saw your post before I did.

:justban:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I wish Hawken hadn't died :(

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Nothing I've done in a game has ever felt as viscerally satisfying as a full gunlance combo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Jack the Ripper is a match for a mummy and an undead skeleton knight lol gently caress yes best timeline

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Sir Daniel in Smash Bros. when

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

If I were an evil guy with giant glowing tumors I would simply hide them with a large coat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Writing and teaching math in HL: Alyx It's rather impressive what you can do in it. My friend got it when it came out, and the plan was to visit and play some of it to check it out, but... :(

Anyway a little thing I've noticed more and more in games with character customization that I've liked lately is the game never explicitly asking if you or your body is male/female. In Animal Crossing, for example, you're simply given an option between two 'settings', with no mention of gender, some games just ask what you look like, etc. If I remember right, even The Division 2 did something similar.

Yead, Division 2 gives you a toggle for "body type"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

Some more stuff from Witcher 3:

I like how a lot of quests have no clear-cut "Good" solution to the problem. Sometimes you're just left guessing what sounds like the lesser evil, and then way later, there's some unexpected Butterfly Effect, you go "oh wow, I hosed that one up."

It's also neat how the quests have a suggested level before attempting them, but the game doesn't stop you from trying. "You'll probably get your rear end stomped if you go over here too soon, but you just do you."
It's something I really enjoyed about Dragon's Dogma too, being free to wander into an area where I'm obviously under-powered and getting slapped around. I'd much prefer that over being stonewalled and told YOU MUST BE LEVEL 10 TO PROCEED.

BTW, if you liked Witcher 3, you'll probably like Dragon's Dogma, and vice versa.

I remember the most intense and fun fight I had in W3 was when I stumbled into some ruined village infested with ghouls that were like 5 levels higher than me, and I decided to fight. It was an insane brawl with me using every sign I had and every tool I had, dodging around like mad, ghouls destroying carts and poo poo to get to me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Whoa, getting drunk with Lenny in RDR2.

That entire sequence was gold

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

heckyeahpathy posted:

Been playing RE 2 Remake since it was on sale and we're all inside forever, and I really love Tyrant's footsteps. A good set of headphones means I can hear precisely where he is in the building, to the point of thinking "alright, he's upstairs somewhere in the hallway outside of the STARS office" when I'm coming out of the 1st floor save room.

Yeah, I loved how he was actually physically present and looking for you, rather than just scripted to appear near you. Made the chase feel a lot scarier and intense.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I'm always a little disappointed when people post about how they're struggling with Prey and it turns out they missed the entire arsenal of weapons that you can find for free in the first hour of gameplay if you just explore thoroughly.

I enjoyed Prey intensely for this reason. It is one of the only games I can think of where you feel like you're cheesing the game, but are actually doing exactly what the game intends you to do. The devs 100% thought of you sequence breaking and doing dumb rear end glitchy jumps, and combat 100% is supposed to be you abusing corners and walls and poo poo to take pot shots with a shotgun.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

What in the gently caress

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I'm in Chapter 9 and just got done with the coliseum and had a good laugh at the final fight against a house.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Someone photoshop this to be groverhaus

drat, good idea. Here ya go:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Which is exactly why I was so disappointed when the remake of 3 went right back to action movie quips and snarky jokes about how umbrella doesn't make sense, isn't that weird? And Jill just constantly talks poo poo to the monsters. 2 was done so well, and 3 just fumbled on every level.

Jill is also ex-military and in the department's special forces unit, and has combat experience, same as Carlos. Not to mention that Jill has already survived RE1 and has EXTENSIVE experience with zombies and monsters, and is sick and tired of their poo poo. They aren't a rookie cop and a terrified civilian thrust into the apocalypse. And if there is anything I've learned from knowing people with combat and military experience, is that they cope with stress by puffing their chest out and acting big. I think it works perfectly for who the characters in 3 are.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Apr 23, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:confused: Jill doesn't do this at all in RE3. She talks poo poo to Nemesis and sounds like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown the entire time, one of the lines is just straight from the original RE3. She also has experience dealing with most of them and is a fairly hardened cop, unlike Leon and Claire.

I know RE3 has issues but I feel like people are coming up with things to be mad about it for some reason.

Yeah, being in Delta Force training and then surviving the mansion makes you pretty hard I have to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Is Syndicate actually any good? I played it for like 20 minutes and it just felt hollow.