Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
In that mission where you had to blow up a rocket with a stolen plane I was way too bad to actually hit it with bullets, so I just crashed the plane into it. Just CAAAAUUUUUSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Apparently Far Cry 4 is going to have drop in co-op during the main campaign. I loved Far Cry 3 so 4 is gonna be a day-one purchase

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I had Shadow Of Mordor marked as a Steamsale kind of game, but then saw a stream of the Penny Arcade guys playing it and was like "man, that actually looks pretty cool." My first fight I was just killing a small pack of orcs and looked around after a little while and thought "there are... quite a lot of orcs here." I slaughtered orcs until 3 Captains rolled up and then I had to bail. Too many orcs.

MY favourite little thing about SoM is that when you are killed, you get a chance to complete a quick time event to stay in the fight, deflecting the killing blow/arrow/spear. This restores a small amount of health and allows you to keep fighting but also has the effect of turning every battle you're losing into what is basically Boromir's final scene.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Brothers- A Tale Of Two Sons is a cool puzzle game with a good story. The gameplay mechanic is that you each brother with each analog stick and trigger. I recommend that you buy it if you want to see how a narrative can be done videogame style.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Am I going to pay full price for MGSV? After reading this thread it sure seems like it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

My cousin would always pick Oddjob and we would always hit him with our fists until he switched

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah he really razzed you

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Thank you for contributing to this thread with your brutal own about my post re: a level designer with his head up his rear end, a chip on his shoulder, and a faulty decimal button on his calculator, you have truly opened my eyes and enriched the world today.

dude you got owned just accept it you turtyburtler

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I had a mission to eliminate 3 commanders. Got two of em out and was going to extract the last one. Got caught escaping the base so hoofed it out with him on my shoulder and watched as one of the bullets fired at me just domed him. Instantly got the prompt for having completed the mission.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

One of the characters in Overwatch has a freeze gun that operates like a flamethrower but freezes people solid instead. It also has a secondary fire that creates an icicle and fires it. There's a slight delay before it fires because the icicle is being created in the gun. What's cool is when you fire an icicle the 25 ammo is not instantly deducted from your clip, but rapidly ticks down as the icicle is made. Really nice touch i thought.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

One of the characters McCree is an old west style gunslinger and his ultimate ability causes him to holster his pistol and say "It's High Noon" then draw his pistol and shoot anyone he has locked onto long enough. What is cool is the game will generate a tumbleweed at his position whenever he uses his ult.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

To clarify ult callouts:

Callout when you are playing the character = callout when an enemy ults.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

graybook posted:

E: w/r/t the big Dishonored 2 spoiler from last page

I look forward to clicking that in a few days. Still only on the Royal Conservatory.

I don't think I remember chloroform bottles in the first Dishonored, but they're mighty nice at times to knock out a closely packed group of enemies.

The only chloroform I need is a stun mine jammed onto a bottle of Old Pattie's Cider

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Bethesda's QA is about on par with their writing, voice acting, combat systems and general game design

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

In Helldivers when you call in equipment it lands exactly where your thrown beacon lands, but when you call in reinforcements (basically resurrecting your teammates) the pods will land randomly in an area around the beacon. This means that if you call in reinforcements in the heat of battle there is a non-zero chance you will be wiped out by a falling drop pod.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Why did they make Borderlands 2 so loving hard? TVHM was like ripping off your own foreskin the enemies became such huge damage sponges. It loving sucked, and for no good reason.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Even though I barely play GW2 anymore (beta plus 3 years is enough), I will defend their mission style and say that it is the best MMO to date. Everything is so natural and fluid.

I loved adventuring in GW2. Other MMO's just kind of feel like there's an area in between quest hubs, but GW2 had so much stuff to discover and cool cosmetic rewards for completing areas. I really think they knocked it out of the park and if their dungeons had of been better they would have utterly killed it.

Best subscription style as well

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

It's just cos Bethesda are a bunch of charlatans

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

New Vegas also had the strength of being written by dudes that had written and understood Fallout. Even considering that it's weird that Bethesda would put such a familial tie into a game considering the origin story of the player character in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

It makes a lot of sense for a brawler because combat is fun and getting better at it is a big part of the game.

I guess my little thing is how many times in Reveangance I went "nah... no way"

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I've had my life utterly consumed by The Long Dark and probably my favourite thing about it is that it is all little things. When you first start playing you will die probably almost immediately, but each playthrough reveals a little bit more about the game and how to survive.

For example you can use Charcoal to map your surroundings, but it takes about 20 minutes of ingame time. Do it out in the open and you'll lose more body temp if it is cold or windy, but if you find a little nook to hang out in you can block wind chill and you'll lose less body temp mapping.

When I first started playing I would hoard food and eat it only when I was hungry. Then I graduated to just eating everything I found as carrying food around increases your encumbrance which means you use more calories moving around and become fatigued more easily. Now I have realised that carrying around animal carcasses or raw or cooked meat makes you smell, which means wolves will find you from further away and are more likely to attack you. So now I try and stockpile scavenged food items whenever possible to eat as I'm exploring or trekking from one location to another, and if I find a rabbit grove I will harvest and cook the meat right then and there so I don't get brutally murdered by wolves.

It's the best survival game I've played by a huge margin and I recommend it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

[quote="“Pastry of the Year”" post="“477815128”"]
We’ve received some viewer feedback on our Tech Talk segment on the popular computer game program, Over Watch. Brenda?

Thanks, Brian. What I meant to say was, there are women in the game with gigantic asses. I believe that’s the style at this time. Brian?

It sure is, but you don’t need me to

Oh stop it

Is this a private party or can

Speaking of watching over

That’s Overwatch, Brian.

Here’s our own “over watcher,” Brad, with the regional forecast. Brad?

Ha ha well after seeing the watchover gals strut their stuff against the android army, I wouldn’t say there’s any danger of cold fronts coming in from the south! Ha ha but overnight lows are looking at about 48 so come on, bring your pets in.
[/quote]

good bit hey

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

In Mount Your Friends Coin Grab mode, the Coin also hangs mad dong

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I was so surprised at the quality of the VA and writing in TNO. I bought in on sale thinking it would be a fun little diversion but I found myself really invested in the story and the performances. Stuff like when you go to bust Anya out of moon jail you run into her halfway through the level, because she’s used the chaos you created to jailbreak herself. It’s never mentioned in dialogue or anything overt but of course she did, she is good at killing Nazis too.

I also like how much BJ hates Nazis and how pretty much nothing stops him from trying to kill them

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Playing Destiny 2 and after the intro you lose your powers and are cooked. Right after this happens they give you a ledge you can’t jump onto without your double jump, so you have to walk over to an outcrop and use that to get the necessary height. Pretty slick.

Also when you are doing the whole walking around powerless thing they give you the sickest track to listen to.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

If I’m paying 500 AUD to play Mario you better believe I’m clocking it

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I played Hybrid Heaven and man, that game was nuts. The fighting was kind of real-time/turn-based, where you'd select what attack you wanted to do. The more you used an attack the better it got. My friend just right kicked everything and ended up with this hugely powerful right leg, and then couldn't proceed because he came up against an enemy that didn't take much damage from it.

I tried to make a wrestler but the throws took heaps of stamina and didn't do much damage.

I'd like to play it again, it was real weird.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I think it’s high time Shigeru Miyamoto was a character in Smash

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Jehde posted:

And now they're doing some grimdark story Star Wars thing. :pcgaming:

Yeah this is pretty huge. Titanfall was so inspired and then they displayed such good single-player chops in Titanfall 2, i reckon they’re gonna crush it. Love a good Star Wars game

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Another good Alpha Protocol playthrough is picking Suave every time. It’s like watching a trainwreck as like 95% of the time Thornton comes across as just an absolute tool.

I love Alpha Protocol and have probably played through it about 5 times. A thing that a lot of people miss is that you can actually fly between hubs and complete missions rather than doing all the missions in one hub one after the other.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Playing Breath of the Wild at the moment and a cool little thing is that you can feed your horse apples. What is even cooler is that the horse will stretch his neck out to where the apple is to eat it, say if the apple rolls away a little bit. Then the horse loves you!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Jeza posted:

Not really the thread for it, but Deus Ex: HR was an amazingly polished turd.

They seriously did not understand what made the original cool, or what 'choice' in a game actually entails. The game is literally all about passively funnelling you into a stealthy non-lethal route, gatekeeping all the abilities, both combat and exploration, behind XP unlocks.

Then you realise about 2/3 through that most skills are loving useless, there was no need to min-max remotely, then you get to the end and every choice was loving pointless, nothing makes an interesting difference at any stage. And the ending itself is like straight out of a parody. If any game that year should have had the ME3 ending controversy, it should have been Deus Ex: HR.

Heard they made some better content for it, but I was left with such a sour taste from the main game that I didn't bother.

Yeah I mean I would categorise this post as the crazed ravings of a lunatic. Of course they gatekeep abilities behind XP, it is an RPG. The same thing happened in the original. The press button ending, while bad, is a direct homage to the original Deus Ex. You can play and finish the game any way that you like, and you recieve more for stealthing it because it requires more abilities to do successfully.

Also, the writing and voice acting is movie-level quality, which outstrips every other videogame by a huge margin. Plus the conversation battles you could hack with an aug or complete naturally by thinking about who you are arguing with, their past, and their motivations.

Also, designing your videogame to require min-maxing is a terrible idea because nowadays most people who play AAA games are regular people, not massive nerds.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Regarding games sort of requiring an overarching “game knowledge” in order to complete puzzles or having to solve what the designer wants you to do in order to solve the puzzle, Breath Of The Wild just breaks that concept over it’s knee by creating such a tightly formed world in which all the systems interlink in such a tightly woven fashion that if you feel this solution will solve that problem, it probably will.

I was completing a shrine puzzle in which you had to use metal boxes to complete circuits in order to supply enough electricity to the door mechanism. I had to use 3 boxes to complete the circuit but could only find two. So, I took a metal 2 handed sword and dropped it on the ground, then used the Magnesis rune (which will move any metal movable object) to position it so it connected the circuit. It worked and the gate opened.

It’s unlike any game I’ve ever played (excepting the new Prey) in that it will reward out of the box thinking not by designing for it, but by making sure the game systems all work together.

Playing Prey I had to sort of recondition how I thought about puzzles because that has the same sort of style. Prey is a bit different though as that design philosophy allows them to account for heaps of different playstyles. If you wanna just run through it as a shotgun maniac you totally can, or you could bypass enemies by turning yourself into a mug and launching yourself across the room with a telekinetic shockwave.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

I am a huge fan of that aspect of the Imperial Guard. I think it was Dawn Of War where I was sending wave after wave of guardsmen to hold the enemy while I obliterated friend and foe alike with artillery strikes.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Made me feel powerful and in control of my life

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

The parry in Sekiro is a lot easier to pull off but it is not as rewarding as in Dark Souls, where a parry will allow you to do huge damage. In Sekiro a successful Deflect (parry) will damage their Posture Bar while doing minimal damage to your own. If you fill an opponents Posture bar they will get staggered and you can do a Deathblow, which kills the crab.

It really works, in my opinion. Fights go from fishing for a parry to stuff like slice, slice, deflect, slice, dodge, shuriken to the face, slice, deflect SHINOBI DEATHBLOW and it looks loving radical.

My favourite little thing about Sekiro is the grappling icon. It’s a circle that appears on grapplable things that fills up from the centre the closer you get to being in range. It really works and is a smooth way to let you know that if you jump off this cliff, you’ll probably be able to make this grapple. Probably.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah there are even small towns, farms and bigger structures like a hydroelectric dam. The developers did a pretty good job of designing a place that actually felt like it could have been a real place where people lived. When I first played in Early Access I think there were only like 3 'regions' and apparently now there's like 9.

Other cool stuff they added since I last played:
-You can pick up charcoal from your fires to draw a map of your surroundings. Clear weather required of course
-Cooking can now be done 'hands free' and you can have something cooking on the fire while you sew up holes in your clothes, or maybe go pick up some more wood for firewood.

There's heaps of little things in that game. It's faster and less calorie intensive to use your knife to butcher game unless the game is frozen, in which case it is faster to use your axe.

Torches are more fuel efficient than lanterns but blow out in the wind.

It's a really good game I reckon. All the systems interlock in a very satisfying way.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Casey Finnigan posted:

I hate that, when you lose to a miniboss in Sekiro, most of the time they're left so undamaged it's like all you did was walk up and smack them with a paper fan. On the other hand, though, when the stars align and you can pull off a really good fight, you just deny every single one of their attacks and stomp them into the dirt. I mean, I've had my fair share of fights where I just barely won by abusing pocket sand and repeatedly lighting the enemy on fire, but kicking the absolute poo poo out of Snake Eyes Shirafuji while taking almost no damage feels great, even after you just lost that same fight 20 times in a row. A little weird that most minibosses have thus far proven to be much harder than the actual bosses.

Sekiro also does a great job of showing off the difference in skill between a bandit or footsoldier and a talented samurai/elite spearman/ninja. You don't beat the weak guys because they have no health, but because their attacks are basic and predictable, and they can't properly predict or block your attacks at all. They seem inexperienced, and the bandits have to rely on kicking mud in your eyes and feinting. The tough guys are tough because they deflect your attacks, counterattack quickly, and have lots of tools to do things like break through your guard, because they're well-trained and have been fighting for a long time (they also have a lot of health but whatever they usually wear armor anyway). I complained at first that Wolf seems like a bad ninja because of all the dying and retrying, but really as you go through the game you end up trudging through poo poo that would stop an entire army in its tracks, and it's not like your opponents are fighting fair at all. Honestly, Wolf faces such a comically, ridiculously large amount of resistance I gotta wonder if the game is indicating that he's just deliberately picking the most difficult route on purpose.

It's a very cool piece of design I think because it means when you crack a boss you destroy them quickly rather than whittling them down perfectly over 10-15 minutes.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

This is the problem I run into when I try to pick it back up. My kids and I have been playing it off an on, and I've been more off because I'll turn it on, look around and say "Where am I? The gently caress was I doing? Have I already done that? Have I already been here?" The game is very big and if you're not sticking with it, it becomes daunting to come back to.

I was the same until I realised I had to use the map as if Link was using the map, so I started marking places I'd been with the stickers.

You can also look to see if you've got any korok seeds around there because Hyrule is lousy with Koroks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

In Fallen Order if you are looking at your map and an animal starts to attack you BD will make a sound to warn you