Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

So is Bulletstorm, so have at em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

They went back to open environments with Crysis 3, but that game was too short. I honestly wound up liking Crysis 2 the best because, despite losing everything unique about Crysis 1, was the most well-done end to end. It's not that surprising that a series with "good graphics" as its only claim to fame was forgotten, even though Crysis 3 is still a top 3 most graphically advanced game available, if not still the best.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I've mentioned it before, but the rain in Watch Dogs is really well done. Rain drops make little splashes on the ground, the ground gradually gets shiny, puddles form, clothing gets wet, when it starts to rain people around you will mention it, larger overhangs block the raindrops so they aren't falling through solid concrete, etc. The water will stick around on the ground for a while after the sun comes out to. It's really nice considering they definitely didn't have to put that much detail work into it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Each game seemed to have to do all this work backfilling the new things they thought of into the events of the previous games. Honestly the plot was really

Crysis 1: Oh no, aliens. Should we do something about this?
Crysis 2: Oh no, aliens in a populated area. We should do something about this.
Crysis 3: Oh yeah, aliens. We probably should have done something about this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jim DiGriz posted:

The Ling-Shan incident was actually orchestrated by CryNet, in an attempt to have to Nanosuits (developed by hacking alien tech discovered by the company) experience the original Ceph habitat, and to collect information on them. Only Prophet knew this though. By the time C2 started Prophet has learned that one of the main alien sites is under Manhattan, and this is why he came back. He was however too sick and tired to go on, this is why he put Alcatraz, the only (barely) surviving marine he found into the suit. He's not dead though, the suit used Alcatraz's remaining body and mind and fused with it while slowly restoring Prophet's consciousness into the new occupant.

It's a weird story, and not without its gaps and retcons, but I'm forgiving because C2 is my ultimate favorite FPS. I like plenty other games, but nothing comes even close to its experience. Many say it's a corridor shooter, but it's not fair - every encounter you have can be approached several radically different ways. I've played through it once without using the cloak, and one could probably sneak most of the game as well. I've never had another game with that kind of freedom to adapt to situations.

Sorry for the derail, they aren't really small things, I just love that game so much.

I do agree with you that C2 was a better game than most reviews said it was, at least I enjoyed it more, but I definitely think that's one of the issues with the whole series: it doesn't seem like they had a good idea of where the story was going from the beginning. So for C2 they have to go back and explain a whole bunch of events in a context they never really had, whereas it would have been hinted at had they actually known at the time they wanted it to go there.

Personally, I think they really missed an opportunity to make something of the three people who found the original Ceph crash in 1918, and how each used different means to live on and fight an invasion they knew was coming but had no idea when.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I forgot how much of a "blockbuster" quality the soundtrack to Crysis 2 has. I've played plenty of games with an orchestral score, but none have sounded like I'm playing a movie like this game does. Probably because Hans Zimmer was involved and he's Michael Bay's go to, but still.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm still waiting for a game to take place in Phoenix. Ideally something like Watch Dogs but I'd settle for a single level. We're not that bad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Looks like someone doesn't know about the amorphous blob of suburbs that is the Phoenix Metro Area.

As for plowing through traffic, I have to give Watch Dogs props for not having the police come after you for traffic violations. Nothing like barreling through Pawnee in the not-Firebird ramming everything on wheels off the road as you make your way to do donuts in the Blume parking lot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Big Grunty Secret posted:

IIRC during development the BF3 team didn't have neat animations for falling and mantling objects until someone pointed out the leftover Mirror's Edge resources they had lying around (both being :dice: games)

More accurate.

I wonder how the new Mirrors Edge will handle this. I'm hoping for the same level of stomach churning.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Can we get an itemized list of video game moves on the sexy axis? I need an executive summary.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Inzombiac posted:

That and I think it's a good hint that most, if not all, of the the Geth were much more civilized than the first game gave them credit. They were and invading force of robot men so it was easy for the "higher" species to strip them of their, I guess, humanity.

Mass Effect 3 has a mission or two that basically turn everything you know about the history of those two factions on its head. It's really great.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Alouicious posted:

do basically everything right in Mass Effect 2, and destroy the Geth Heretics in Legion's loyalty mission instead of rewriting them

I rewrote them and still got that outcome. There's probably more than one way, but you do have to do quite a lot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh man :(

And yeah I'm grabbing all the DLCs for my second run-through. I like to play a game vanilla on my first runthrough, then get the DLCs for the second go-around. Really looking forward to the extended cut features!

One suggestion is that I would wait to play Citadel as the very last thing you play. It's a great send off of all the characters they've had in since ME1, and in my opinion a far better ending to any Mass Effect experience even though it was pigeonholed in to take place before the end of ME3.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Leper Residue posted:

One of my favorite things in the game is when you're at the dam and you have to raise these gates to cross over the dam. You get the first one and then she gets the second one and when you cross over she holds her hand up for a high five. Press triangle, you high five, and she goes 'yeah, teamwork!' in such a satisfied voice.

It's so :3:

This makes me want a modern game based on Terminator 2 so bad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Don't forget Blood Dragon's "Punch the reactor"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Although I didn't really like Second Son that much compared to earlier Infamous games, there was one little touch I really liked. In the first fight against Augustine you're railroaded into smoke powers like nearly every other boss fight and you use the orbital drop, instead of the grin on his face, he's visibly pissed off since Augustine just killed his brother. Only time he looks like that but I appreciated that detail.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Alouicious posted:

goons punching way above their weight class

There's a weight class above morbidly obese?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I have to say, looking down at the light shining on my fingers is an interesting way of seeing how much health I have in Killzone Shadow Fall.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Usually not, although occasionally you do get instances where obscure ultra-low level stuff remains mostly untouched for a long time. I believe the final pieces of Quake still left in Source were expunged around the time of the Orange Box, for instance, but the idea that the engine powering Portal contains code that also powered Quake 1 is certainly interesting. This isn't because features are "cut," but more often because modules are rewritten to support new rendering techniques or to enhance speed or maintainability.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Surely the developers might have a good understanding of that the game can and cannot do well on last generation's hardware and are doing what they can to salvage the experience given they are running on mid-tier hardware from 2007.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

Y'know, after stuff like Blood Dragon, Drive, and stuff, it's made me wonder why they haven't done an open-world game with an 80's aesthetic. Just letterman jackets and pastel neon lights and soundtrack done by the likes of Timecop1983 or Kavinsky.

Well technically Blood Dragon is open world but I know what you mean. I thought Rockstar would have joined in by now, but if GTA V went back to Los Santos/San Andreas, maybe VI will be a Vice City sequel.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I loved how Saints Row handled it from 2 on where levels have distinct checkpoints and when you die you can immediately resume from said checkpoints without having to travel back to the mission marker and start the whole thing all over again having lost all the weapons you earned until that point.

What's even funnier is that during the development of GTA IV they were aware of complaints of having to do that bit of tedium every time you failed a mission, and their response was to keep all those systems intact but make it so that now when you replayed missions they used differtent dialogue takes so it would be slightly less mind-numbing :downsowned:

At least V has them now. I don't know how far I would be in the game if I had to do every mission over from the beginning, but it would not be nearly as far as I am now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mister Adequate posted:

So I'm playing GTA V. I switched to Trevor and get him in his truck, yelling at some cyclists. Twenty minutes later, whilst getting a haircut, he starts up yelling again. It is the funniest thing in the game.

e: he keeps doing it :yayclod:

He totally would rant that THIS COUNTRY WAS BUILT BY AND FOR THE MOTORCAR while getting a haircut, too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Alhazred posted:

-Franklin ironing his clothes.
-Franklin playing with his dog.
-Franklin smoking a joint.

I honestly feel a little bad for him, in the endgame all the switches make him seem bored.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Rampant Dwickery posted:

I could listen to Nightmare's voice all day in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Or Corypheus'. Really, the VA work for both characters is top notch.

I picked the Illuminati ending to Deus Ex just so I could listen to Morgan Everett some more.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I gotta wonder what sound engine they're using, does anyone know? Is it custom, or middleware like Wwise? I've wondered how they keep track of EVERYTHING audio-related, like how all of the music tracks will sort of 'keep playing' the background. Switching away from Radio Ga-ga (why would you?!) for 10 seconds and going back, you'll be 10 seconds later in the song. I've worked in FMOD a bit, and I know that keeping track of all of those radio stations, constantly, is quite the process.

EDIT: vvv Good :colbert:

Apparently at one point each radio station was a single long sound file that kept playing at all times, and tuning the radio just turned the volume up on the one you were going to and down on the one you left. Not sure if that's true now though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's not great, but it isn't any worse than Oblivion or Skyrim's to be honest. It gets the job done and lets you do fun stuff with spells, and if you're not playing a mage what are you even doing

Sword combat in particular is much worse, especially at the beginning of the game, since it's a dice roll to hit with every swing you can stand on top of a completely stationary mudcrab flailing wildly at it and never hit it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Would you rather "hit" and get audio/visual feedback but deal no damage?

I vastly prefer that, yes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Big Grunty Secret posted:

In Far Cry: Blood Dragon, the menu has a user manual for gameplay tips. Here's the story page:

You might want to edit out your product key lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Spalec posted:

The PS4 controller light shines in the colour of the paint you're currently spraying too, which is neat.

Speaking of other cool things the PS4 controller light bar does, in GTA5 when you have a wanted level it flashes red and blue rapidly. :siren:

And in Peggle 2 when you get Extreme Fever it flashes through all the colours rapidly.

In Killzone it's your health, fading from bright green through yellow to bright red, and in Rock Band 4, it does a little light show in time to the music. Some developers have been getting pretty creative with it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

This game looks like an xtranormal video

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Max Payne 3's file structure counts as a little thing if you're a big ol nerd who likes to see game infrastructure trainwrecks. That game is almost 30 gb large because there are separate copies of every texture and model file for every map it's in- every gun, every ground texture, every random trash model of a traffic cone. Everything that appears more than once has an exact copy stored in the .rpf file for the relevant chapter. There are 13 models of Max, which pull from a resevoir of almost 40 different head and arm textures, like 30 different clothing textures, and so on and so on. The fmv cutscenes and audio files are all completely uncompressed. There's an unholy amount of stuff that is completely unused because it was either cut or phased out in development but still required for the game to run. It is just a wonderful piece of madness to behold. It's really a wonder that game even runs at all, let alone as well as it does.

Except the entire reason it's like that is an optimization, since sequential reads are faster than random ones. They wanted loading a level to done all in one long read from disc, so they duplicated every asset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

John Pastor posted:

And yet, their loads are hilariously long and buried in unskippable cutscenes.

I would say that their optimization theories are mildly flawed.

Try reading. I didn't say it worked, I just said it was on purpose and something they tried, rather than some incompetent developer accident. And Steam has the ability to defragment game files, I'll bet they recommend people encountering slow loading try that.