Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mak0rz posted:

I can't see anything because the gigantic Monster Hunter 4 game guides are in the way.

Jesus those are phonebooks. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Safety Scissors posted:

Somebody please tell me vin diesel is one of the voice actors for the main character. You could totally play as vin diesel in shadowrun returns which was amazing. There was even the riddick shades option. It would be a really great way to target the non anime pillow crowd.

What makes you even entertain the thought that this game is going to try to cater to the non-anime crowd? Besides, Vin Diesel is a huge RPG/Gaming nerd. He talks about playing D&D with his buddies but you know he's secretly posting in the Final Fantay thread arguing about which is the best Final Fantasy (6).

Mak0rz posted:

Naming my character Eric Peterson and joining Testament.

Be Shadow and team up with Interceptor. :ninja:

The Taint Reaper posted:

But you can pick your preferred grunts and shouts.

You could do that in Baldur's Gate but that doesn't mean Bioware fully voiced the MC. It's ok thought because they weren't going to top Jon Irenicus and how perfectly his VA played out the character.

Regy Rusty posted:

"Interceptor - In charge of exterminating protists."

Is this a mistranslation or is there really a significant group of quests about killing microorganisms?

Man... I really want this to be good but a 300 hour MMO type thing is exactly the kind of thing I don't want it to be. :sigh: Xenoblade was pretty much the perfect balance.

Guessing the Protists are the name of the alien race that shoots down your world ship.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The important question here is if Nintendo's made any indication of there being a Xenoblade Chronicles X special edition Wii U with the US release.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Also, I found these on Neogaf, the unions' symbols
Companion:

That one looks a little familiar..

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Champeenship posted:

Looks like the bundle of the game also comes with a pre-paid eShop card, so there possibly may be DLC.

Also that box artwork looks pretty drat good.

Wii U bundle is just a plain black Wii U? that's depressing and mostly kills my hopes for a sweet Xenoblade Wii U bundle here. :(

I'm still going to buy any US Xenoblade X Wii U bundle, because this is the main reason I held off on buying a Wii U, but I still hope for one with a cool design like the Wind Waker bundle had.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unless you're sitting (too) close to your TV or have perfect vision you're not going to notice much difference between 720p and 1080p if it's done well and runs at a solid frame rate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Aside from the characters having the oversized anime eyes while keeping normal(ish) body designs I like the game's look. Hopefully I'm not stuck looking at closeups of the human-anime faces too much though because the eyes are really kinda creepy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I like the idea that people are complaining the game's world is too small when each of the 5 areas is several times larger than even something like the Gaur Plains was. Some of those scenic shots from cliffs looking over the horizon show a lake/fireld combo that's probably 2-3 the size of any area in Xenoblade Chronicles. Of the few concerns I have for this game "the world's too small" is not one of them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Launching on May 31st would be cruel because who launches a game on a Sunday? Sunday video game releases cause lots of sudden illnesses for working people.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Champeenship posted:

So the game staff have showed off their main characters and

The eyes on #6 are stealing my soul. :gonk:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

Yes that is exactly how gravity treats large breasts good job game.

The Jessica Rabbit school of chest design.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^ Or New New York. :fry:

Microcline posted:

Anime (as an adjective) is relative. People in Xeno- threads will often call Xenoblade "not very anime" because it's being discussed in the context of Xenogears and Xenosaga and most things are "not very anime" when compared to Xenosaga.

I don't even want to know what kind of game someone would have to play to make Persona 4 seem "not very anime" though.

I imagine those kinds of people look at Gurren Lagen and consider it to be too tame for their now-refined anime tastes and it was only good as an entry point in to the fine world of fanservice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I know some people are iffy on the soundtrack but I have a hard time not having faith in the guy who did Attack on Titan's music. Gaur Plains, Satorl Marsh, and Zanza's theme (there's some XC newbie in the thread) are pretty amazing but I think this guy will do a solid job.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

And supposedly its a unusually wonderful place to work at as well. Crunch is rare. You can come in on the weekends and just use the equipment to goof off and learn whatever you want. And your project isn't due in a year so pressure isn't nuts and you have a social life.

I hope it stays that way for them because crunch is terrible and has less chance of coming to an end than the industry has of unionizing (in the US anyways) and it literally ruins lives. Nintendo knows they had a good sleeper hit with XC and hopefully XCX moves even more units and secures Monolith a nice future where we get a new Xeno game every few years (or less) and doesn't end up a "GET THIS SHIP PUMPED OUT YEARLY GODDAMNIT" clusterfuck like Assassin's Creed and other series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

To be fair, the reason Sony and MS didn't carry over their previous-generation purchases is because the system architecture is so different that it doesn't have backwards compatibility.

It's also harder to get people to buy remakes of popular games if they can throw the original disc in their machine instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Give me that on a Wii U bundle and the money is as good as spent. :retrogames:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

asymmetrical posted:

Remind me again why they got rid of the original Xenoblade style?

Faustian Deals are a one-time thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Namco x Capcom can't be as bad as Cross Edge. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

Music not as good as Xenoblade confirmed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lyrics in game music is fine. For example: FFXIV

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

gannyGrabber posted:

I quit xenoblade when they gave me a 4th character but the party could only fit 3. That is the worst poo poo ever and any game that does that can gently caress itself. Thanks for reading.

You must think the Suikoden series is Literally Hitler. 108 (or more) characters, and a 6 person party.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The main thing is that the cost to go up in Affinity is the same between each level, so it doesn't get harder to increase the higher you go or anything. And the benefits of being at higher affinity for Chain Linking are extremely big, plus it helps your crafting on top of that.

I mean yeah, you can basically do whatever you want in this game unless you want to try and do a low-level clear or try and beat the superbosses. I'm just saying if you're trying to be efficient about things, just focusing on 3 characters is the way to go for making combat easier.

Why would anyone not want to lead with great heropon Riki and his trusty sidrekicks Dundun and Melly? :3:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So I can buy this book and read it while waiting for the NA release right? RIGHT??? :cry:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Riki is Team Dad #2 and is great at it

He's giving parenting advice to other party members. Riki is #1. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sadly the plot is pretty bog standard JRPG for the last third of the game or so. As a WRPG fan you'll probably really enjoy how it mostly subverts your expectations for the genre for a while, only to be sorely disappointed by the ending. It's still really fun overall though.

The ending just wants to make sure you remember you're playing a Xeno game. :japan:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Here's some gameplay and the music in it is pretty good (no vocals either, no idea if it has spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06ZMXPK8M-g

And for those of you complaining about the soundtrack, sure it's not as good as Xenoblade's was but that's a really loving high bar to reach. Just remember it could always be worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUjxPj3al5U
:suicide:

Supercar Gautier posted:

Jesus christ, you'd hope (maybe not expect, but HOPE) they would at least keep it in their pants with the 13 year old character.

Gotta have that fanservice :pedo: :japan:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 28, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

I think this is fine but I also think a lot of people are not phased by it because in their minds they don't see a child. They see animated pixels and that equates to either harmless or very limited harm. I can understand this point of view too and there is a reasonable justification for it.

But yeah, just change her age and put this topic to a rest NoA. It is an easy fix.

NoA will say she's 18 like they did for the BD characters and the world will move on while :reddit: cries about anime purity.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think it would be great if they changed Lyn's face for the western release.

XBCX NA Patchnotes: Lyn replaced with Reyn. Voice actor remains unchanged.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

:eyepop:

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not a mask, but...

edit: beaten

Gonna run around and save New LA as Nightwing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

A lot of the armor in this game looks like it came outta Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and I don't know if I'm okay with that.

Alkaiser? :eyepop:

GOTY.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It's Kotaku so instead of saying "they picked him to review it because a negative review will get more buzz" I'm going to go with "he reviewed the first one so they told him to review the second."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

But how will I enjoy a game if it doesn't have bad British accents like XBC or DQ8 guys? :qq:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

Or maybe they have watched several hours of gameplay watching the Japanese play the full version on twitch? Good VA wasn't going to save this poo poo game.

I've kept myself from watching the game too much but from what I did watch, and a bunch of their pseudo-multiplayer things it really seems like XBCX is also being done as a testbed for make a Xeno(blade) MMO. The combat system and UI are pretty much MMO-styled already.

I said come in! posted:

I say I want Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U, but then I remember i'll have to use the Wiimote and i'm just not ready for that sort of commitment.

Buy a gamepad pro if you can't use your Wii gamepad with your Wii U (I can for Mario Kart :shrug:).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Baal posted:

It's the best on the Wii because the Wii had two jrpgs and the one that isn't Xenoblade is completely forgettable

Poor Wii, if only it had high quality RPGs like Infinite Undiscovery or Star Ocean 4. :rip:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

all six etrian odysseys are good and tales of vesperia owns. haven't played ni no kuni

Older EO games can be a bit of a chore to play but Vesperia's awesome (Abyss was better) and I've heard good things about Graces and Zestria.

Wizardry: Labyrith of Lost Souls is also good if you want to ruin any good memories you had about the Wizardry series.

RareAcumen posted:

Finally, the thread is negative enough to post this and get away with it.

Master of Magic came out in 1994 so that timeframe is definitely wrong and you're still a terrible poster. Plus if anyone badmouths Master of Magic I will cut you. :ese:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Microcline posted:

Boob windows are a long-standing staple of Xeno- character design.

Just the tip tit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Inflammatory posted:

december 4th. :toot:

This chart alone has enough interesting games on it to be worth getting the system. Mario Maker, Mario/Luigi U, LoZ Heroes, Star Fox, Xenoblade, and Mario Tennis? Yes please. :retrogames:

Every time I watch a video of Xenoblade X it really screams "we want to make an MMO but can't (yet)" in the design. OTOH I'd be totally down for some open world Xenoblade multiplayer combat.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Everyone who played the mario tennis game said it sucked rear end if that helps

That's a shame. Wii Tennis was so basic yet fun. :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

This is actually worse than just using portraits like in older Tales games. My god it's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

wateyad posted:

Actually it's a team thing. Team Symphonia games always use the square box skit portraits while Team Destiny games mostly (but not exclusively) use the full body ones. Zestiria uses the full body ones.

This is not making me want to get Zestiria on Steam. :(

• Locked thread