Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So the goon consensus (ugh) is that this is fun, right? I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately and I feel like this would be a perfect 2nd shooter to have when I need something more silly and relaxing vs serious. I'm not bothered by the lack of content or anything, I'm mostly curious about the feel of the game, the polish, customization, etc.

What couch coop options are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is one of the best "shooters" I've ever played and if Splatoon isn't a Mario/Zelda/etc in terms of continuing forever on Nintendo consoles then I'm going to be so let down. It's such a charming fun game. The content is limited for launch but what is there scratches an inch I never knew I had and as long as the dlc is coming relatively soon I'm 150% down. Buy this game.

I'm going to go back and add a bunch of you tomorrow. I'm weekdaynachos if anyone wants to send me a request first. The lack of voice chat actually makes me want to group up more than most games because I'm an anxious goober.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blaisedell posted:

After initially turning it off, I've turned motion controls back on, which seems to be the way forward for high-level 'toon play. Just using the stick it's difficult to aim precisely, but then motion controls feel a bit weird and awkward at first. I wonder how many people are using motion controls and how many are turning them off.

I turned them off as soon as I could and doubt I'll bother with them again. It doesn't work for me at all and I'm doing fine with stick controls. They work fine and everything but it's not for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Count Bleck posted:

I think my favorite thing about this game is my dream of rolling over people with a giant paint roller coated in Mac n' Cheese sauce is now a reality.

It makes me hungry and want to do crafts. Maybe the sequel can be food based. Better not drop the squids though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Infinitum posted:

Edit: ^^^I'll fix it up later. Don't worry about it.

Yeah I saw Neddy Seagoon do it before and I was all "YOU CAN DO THAT?!"

It is ridiculously useful and barely anyone does it.

I don't even know what the mechanic is. What is it exactly/how do you do it? I'm assuming it's like Battlefield style spawning.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rorus Raz posted:

Is it weird that I'd be willing to pay for more songs?

Seriously this soundtrack is awesome

It's funny because by all standards I should be annoyed with the music. Same goes with the clothes. I can't stand the real life equivalent of Splatoon's fashion and the styles make me roll my eyes at everyone attempting them. But this game? Everything about Splatoon makes sense in the world and it's all A+++. I've definitely been hit with plenty of Jet Grind Radio vibes in aesthetic and gameplay.

I can't shut up once I start talking about this silly game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm liking Arowana Mall. It's simple but there's something satisfying about the routes you can take. The rig is super fun too but I have yet to get the hang of it. I always find myself running around all over.

I haven't played the other two yet. When does the Splatoon day time actually reset?

TubeStank posted:

just curious--how often do you guys win? i have won only one match today and maybe a handful yesterday and game's fun but it's annoying to always be losing

Playing with pubs last night I got to level 7 and won probably 60% of the time. Most of my matches were pretty competitive. You probably just had bad luck but getting better over time will always makes things smoother since its 4 on 4.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rorus Raz posted:

Bought an Inkling Girl amiibo

I'm officially Part of the Problem :negative:

I've bought almost every amiibo. Most excited for the two coming tomorrow, Splatoon 3 pack and Wario. Don't be negative, cute toys are cool. Be happy like a squid.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mall is my favorite right now :shrug:

Last night my girlfriend convinced me to use the roller. I didn't plan on it because GUNS but I ended up playing for 3 hours, getting tons of splats, more points than I ever have, and winning most of my games. It's a great weapons and it's so satisfying to roll smooth lines of paint around.

Is ranked up yet?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So close!

What exactly is the deal with the snail upgrade thing I keep seeing mentioned. I haven't seen anything about it in game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Little Mac posted:

I'm only level 6 and everyone is so much more powerful than me. For a game that's seemingly tailored for casuals and kids, this game is going to die a quick death with both.

Had bad luck within 2 days of release, game dead

Relax and keep playing. It's not going to die and it's very fun for playing casually. It sounds like you just hit a rough patch.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this looks like a fun original take on an old genre and I would like to try it but unfortunately the wii u is a barren hellscape that it not worth buying even years into it :(

what the gently caress nintendo why did you have to be such a special little snowflake with your console designs over and over

This is incredibly wrong. I spend 99% of my time on the PS4 but the Wii U is a great console without many gimmicks at all. The exclusives are all really good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

cram me sideways posted:

Is there any way I can use the Wii U Pro Controller to play instead of the Wii U Gamepad?

Only for couch co-op. I really hope they patch in support. I would happily give up the gamepad map + jumping to a teammate for that but realistically they could let you jump on the tv somehow.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Inkoming Merch

I need all the Splatoon merch in my life asap

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ranked is nuts. I'm not sure if it's for me yet but it's definitely a fun shake up. It's very satisfying to have a back and forth struggle but it's something I need to be more awake for to really judge. Hectic!

New map is cool even though I got my rear end inked hard a few times and couldn't figure out how to push back. The layout is great for sneak attacks.

ZAP 85 or whatever is neat. I like the range and rate of fire but I still feel naked without my roller.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think I might try gyro controls again even though I absolutely hated them at first. I've been playing console shooters forever so my aim is fantastic even without auto aim but I figure it's something different to try. Maybe I'll be even better, who knows. Splatoon is best when you approach it as it's own thing and not any other shooter.

If anyone finds patch notes and wants to post them that would be nice :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

noirstronaut posted:

But why does Nintendo want us to know that he kills those clams next to him

This is the only thing I don't like about the game.

I would buy $20 dlc to save the clams and put Spyke in squid jail.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Splatoon is the next generation of meme based urban body horror.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like this. I don't know anything about Ika Musume but I'm interested now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Level Slide posted:

It's about an anthropomorphic squid, much like a Splatoon inkling, who emerges from the sea with intentions of punishing humanity for their literal pollution. The humans above pay her no mind and she ends up working for a beachside restaurant, due in part to pay off damages she's done to the venue on pain of death by ninja.

She's also an idiot.

This sounds great, I'm down.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

First game with the brush I was let down and pretty sad. Second? I turned into a monster. I had a short marathon where I had at least 1,100 points every game and won most of the matches. That thing is insane when you figure out the flow. Constant ink throwing, barely any downtime, and crazy mobility and escape options. Rollers don't even scare me anymore. This is definitely my new favorite weapon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Harold Krell posted:

Splatoon is fun.

:lol: holy poo poo this is beautiful

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't like Splatzones or the general idea of ranked but I totally get why others are into it. It's fun every once in a while but it's far too high stress for me. For me Splatoon is the Katamari Damacy of mp shooters. It's silly, fun, fluid, relaxing and when I'm tense and getting frustrated the appeal of the game for me falls apart.

It's cool as heck that Nintendo has managed to turn the limited content into something for casuals and more serious players. It's never possible to appease everyone but they've got the bases covers. As should you if you're one of those people who neglects your own base!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Ink brush is the twichiest weapon in the game. It owns.

It's like Bob Ross after a sack of cocaine.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So what's the deal with dog vs cat in the fest. Do we get to pick when it starts ?

njsykora posted:

I played against someone earlier who got 12 kills and over 1000p with the inkbrush. I am now terrified of the inkbrush.

This is me with the inkbrush. No one is safe. I'm just ferocious.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Many cats are awesome but every dog that isn't instantly violent is awesome and perfect.

Team dog, not even a question.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

and that he's (probably) not really sorry for it either.

But he said sorry on ESPN and looked sad so it's all better now

TEAMDOG

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So this is going to be 1080p/60fps then? That's sick as heck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Frankston posted:

I've never played Splatoon before but my Zelda Machine needs new games and this looks pretty fun so I think I'll get it.

Do you like fun casual shooters with style and charm for days? If so, you're good. Splatoon was a great game even with some of it's issues. It has that nice Overwatch feature of being enjoyable at every skill level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If I get sucked into becoming a fan of that god drat goblin babby...

• Locked thread