Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Game looks loving amazing. Reminds me of Bomberman for some reason (maybe the art style?).

Probably because there was a similar game mode in Bomberman called Panel Paint where you have to bomb as much of the game board into your color as possible in a certain time frame, and you lose all your colored tiles when you die.

If they made this the box art for the game I'd buy a Wii U based on that alone.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

One of the victories I was part of was 67.4% to 12.9%, which was the most crushing disparity I've seen yet.

I had a match where we just utterly walked all over a team of 4 Rollers. We had them trapped in their spawn within the first 30 seconds or so and they never got out. Score was like 89% - 5%.

Last match of the hour was a pretty even match, we just pulled that one out 49.4 - 49.2. Makes me kinda wish there was voice chat just for moments like that.

Weapon tiers seem to me to be Splatter Jr. > Roller > Splattershot >>>>>>>>>>> sniper rifle charge thing. Which I'm okay with, because you can tell the poo poo players by the ones who use the sniper. I'm glad there's finally a shooter that's not sniper friendly, because it's the class of cowards and bitches.

Evil Eagle posted:

I played 12 rounds with the Sub machine paint gun and got 1st every time. Paint rollers are giant targets.

Boy, you were carrying one garbage team there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oopsie rock posted:

Same here. I thought I would hate the gyro aim but it's actually pretty helpful for a game that involves this much interaction with the environment.

I spent the second hour trying to get used to gyro aiming and I just couldn't, it's not clicking with me. It probably didn't help that it kept configuring my aiming so that holding the gamepad level would aim me straight up in the air.

I guess I'll try again when the full game comes out, but I think I'm going to be an analog stick man, at least for close range stuff like the roller and Splatter Jr.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

RadioactiveKid posted:

This game is fun as hell, it was worth waking up early on a Saturday. I'm pretty terrible at most shooters but with the roller I was almost always the top player on my team. A roller with a splatershot for cover is a pretty good combo for covering up a lot of ground in your teams color. Would be nice if they at least had a basic way of communicating with people like the lobby for a race in Mario Kart

The D-pad has two communication macros. One is "C'mon" to get teammates' attention to your area, and the other is "Booyah!" to lord your victory over your recently fallen enemies.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Man there are some bad people playing this game. I've had multiple rounds already where people got ZERO points. How is that possible, if you shoot at the floor you'll get at least some points!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Evil Eagle posted:

You get zero points if you disconnect. The game is so hectic that it's hard to notice that someone is missing until the end.

Well that explains why I find myself getting mobbed by the other team so often. How can people be such newborn baby bitches that they ragequit in a game where it literally doesn't even loving matter?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

I think you can say "follow me!" or something similar with the d-pad but no one seems to use it

No one seems to listen when you use it either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Stick controls felt better to me in the testfire and using gyro controls made me feel like a drunken mess, but somehow when I started the full game it felt like the complete opposite and I can't play with stick controls anymore. I still wish they'd let you use both, so you could just use gyros for fine-tune aiming.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I hope this clicks for me because I just can't get used to the gyros. I do pretty well with the sticks but I wonder if I could be doing better once I figure out the motion controls :|

The only real problem I have is that it's hard to see the aiming reticle in the heat of battle unless you actively focus on where it is on the screen, since it's white on top of often bright colors. I wish there was some way to customize its shape / color like there often are in FPSes, or if it just turned darker over brighter colors.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

If I leave my zone, someone will come take it because my team can't defend. If I stay in my zone, we'll never get ahead because my team can't push without me. I hate Port Mackerel so much.

"Leave your zone"? Are you trying some strategy where you gently caress around in the same area instead of all painting all the time?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gameko posted:

I would buy a wiiu just for this game but I swear it'll be devoid of players within two months. At least...such is my fear.

Quit being such a loving coward

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I ran into a couple games that had significant lag today. It was not a pleasant experience. Ground not being painted when you shoot at it, enemies teleporting around, spontaneously exploding somehow due to the guy you killed 10 seconds ago...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

gannyGrabber posted:

Nothing is better than the OG Splattershot Jr.

I've been wrecking fools with the Splatter Pro. If you see them coming and can aim worth a drat you're almost guaranteed to take them out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Takoluka posted:

ty for the tips

I'm still learning a lot of the ins-and-outs of all the equipment. Is there a definitely guide for role-based loadouts? Like, if you want to be a hunter or a territory-coverer?

Just play and have fun instead of worrying about spergy minmax poo poo. You don't have to listen to people pretending they're supreme experts after a whole week of the game being out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

No one talking about the paintbrush dropping tomorrow morning?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Inkbrush tomorrow! https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/606747561286696960

"Pablo", sprinkler sub-weapon, tornado (inkstrike) special.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IronicDongz posted:

But it's also slower to kill around corners/platforms because the splash damage is so low.
Just do what we all did before ranked was an option and grind in unranked with an aerospray/splattershot jr

A better idea is just to play the game because you enjoy it and not because you're trying to grind your way to 100%

The gently caress is wrong with you people

Dizz posted:

Do walls actually count in turf wars? I keep seeing people aggressively tagging walls even if it has a blocker at the top.

No, but they do count toward specials so I guess there's that?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just want to know when we can finally settle Team Cat vs. Team Dog.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Does anyone else find their killin' power less effective against Japanese players? I tried a couple rounds of Splat Zones with the Blaster (which is fantastic for claiming areas and clearing them out of pesky vermin) and I was just destroying fools, like 15 kills a match for the first couple rounds. Then I found the group gradually being replaced with Japanese players until it was all Japanese except for me, and I started seeing dudes take blaster shots directly to the face, multiple shots, and just keep on going like it ain't no thing, or having it just explode around them like it's loving Pulp Fiction. I don't care that much about winning or losing, except when it's from total bullshit like that.

The Inkbrush seems like total poo poo unless you have that perk that lets you swim unseen so you can take people by surprise. Those are the only times I've been hit with it.

IronicDongz posted:

People are not used to weapons that require you to aim.

You don't even need to aim that much with it, the splash damage is ridiculous. The only drawback is the low rate of fire, so if you miss then you're kinda hosed.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 6, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Anime Curator posted:

I saw it as a graffiti spray and it was all I could think about.

This game has graffiti sprays?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Folt The Bolt posted:

It's something wonderful when the fact that you stayed behind and successfully defended your homebase from the enemy splatoon and helped cover up after all the krakens and inkstrikes and paintbrush rollers that you're rewarded with a win and inked the most ground for the match. :c00lbert:

(Also helps that I got some good shots in on the Roller inklings with the kraken, but not while they were a Kraken, using the bomb toss special.)

Conversely, it's the worst when you push through and single handedly cover the enemy base, only to find that the rest of your team has done jack poo poo and the entire rest of the map is now enemy colored.

And good god dammit do I hate when your teammates just let enemy rollers gently caress around and run wild so they can transform into a loving kraken every time you run into them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 6, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jivjov posted:

Yeah but what happens if you keep getting grouped up with a bunch of people who are terrible at the game and only got to level 10 by way of losing over and over and over and accumulating XP that way? You could be doing fantastically every game, but no one squid can carry the whole team.

Even one bad player can sink your team in this game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't really have anything against Splat Zones, but I'd really like to have ranked Turf War as well. Splat Zones is this very specific variant of the game with its own little quirks and it seems weird to elevate it as the sole ranked mode right now.

Still liking the Inkbrush a lot, except on Arowana Mall, which is easily the worst Splat Zone map for it. There's very little you can do with a brush there outside of the central hell bowl, and that's not a safe place to be when there's enemy snipers around. Maybe it works out better in Turf War, where there's action across more of the map.

Take the side paths around hell bowl, circle around behind those bitch rear end snipers, feast on their tears.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So, got around to trying out the Aerospray tonight.

This thing is loving disgusting. I feel like I'm cheating using it. Sure, the range is crap, but who cares about that when you've got ninja jump / swim and 90% of opponents are using loving rollers and brushes anyway.

I feel like ink mines work better in theory than they do in practice though, nobody ever stays in one spot for the 7 years the things take to explode.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 7, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One of the original trailers had a shot or two from some retro sidescrolling game, the one that people assumed would be in the arcade cabinet. I wonder if that was ever actually a thing or just a placeholder.

Don't you get new arcade games from completing all the amiibo challenges? I haven't seen anyone mention what those are like.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Deceptive Thinker posted:

ugh why don't people actually pay attention to the splat zone in ranked and instead spend the entire time focusing on kills

Because MY KAY DEE ARE

Internet Kraken posted:

The problem here is you're acknowledging the existence of the splat zone. To properly get into the mentality of these people you need to get those kills, then dive into their spawn in an attempt to get more rather than capturing the zone they are currently in control of.

I had to quit last night after a match where the seconds were ticking down on the enemy counter and I'd gotten killed taking out the last member of the other team in the area, and instead of painting the empty splat zone to take it over, the last teammate over there super jumped back to the spawn for reasons that I will go to my grave not understanding.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 8, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I really don't understand why people do this, without stealth jump or recon going in anywhere totally blind is really bad. Unless the map/death tracker indicates that everyone else is far away, you're basically flashing a big "shoot me" sign, especially on smaller stages like warehouse where it takes you all of six seconds to reach the middle.

I have seen people jump to me right near the spawn too for that matter. Why? It literally takes longer to charge and jump than it does to swim. Just because you can jump does not mean you should.

I've done that accidentally a couple of times, sometimes when your teammates are all running around and the little dotted lines pointing to each person are tangled up it's hard to tell who's who.
Unless your guy is on the opposite side of the map it's usually just as fast to squid to where you need to go from spawn, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

quote:

This story portrayed here is one that all teenagers can probably relate to. After looking at it for a bit, the viewer starts to wonder about the relationship between the characters and what happened before and after the scene took place.

I guess it's been too long since I was a teenager but I have no idea what the gently caress they're talking about here

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's not wrong if you ask for it by crouching down to their level.

Also, keep in mind that by supporting Team Cat you are coming out in support of cold-blooded murderers.

Don't mind their nonsense, it's just the brain eating cat parasites talking.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Grumpy Cat has made over $100 Million USD for her owner. :colbert:

Cats themselves are successful.

Grumpy cat's real name is "Tard"

pretty accurately reflects on cat owners

Caerulius posted:

A cats affection is earned by only the freshest.

I don't particularly think "fresh" when I think "catlady"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Cat owners need something that hates them as much as they hate themselves

Lemming posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/cats-kill-billions-animals-annually-study-finds/story?id=18357853

I think the bloodthirsty murderers are going to win in a fight against happy go lucky idiots who just want to be friends.

All that proves is that cats are a disease

and team dog is the cure

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Had a run all the way through the C+ rankings tonight, then when I had just one battle left to break into B- I kept alternating between getting put on poo poo teams that could only get stomped and spawn locked and being on the stomping team. I did find that Custom Blaster is my favorite new Splat Zone weapon when the rest of my team is not loving around and leaving me to get gangbanged by all members of the other team.

The Gorp posted:

See? You can't eat cats.
Better animals.

Clearly you don't have any friends from Melmac.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I wonder how many ranked matches I'm going to go today where my team is composed of literal loving retards who run around painting literally everywhere but the splat zones

oh and also dog supremacy

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

On several maps it's actually super important to paint the areas surrounding the splat zones. Walleye Warehouse is the best example of this, where the side areas are practically essential to maintain control of. If you ink the zone and your enemy inks everything else, you probably won't be keeping the zone for long.

That's great, if the enemy hasn't already captured both zones and their timer is ticking down.

Alabaster White posted:

Depends on the mode and map. Aerosprays are pretty much the absolute best at everything in Turf War, but anything else with a high fire rate works well. On Splat Zones, power is key. The .52/.96 Gal are fantastic, the Dual Squelcher (the standard one too if you abuse how Splash Walls work), Splattershot, Splattershot Pro, and chargers if you can aim them. Of course, it really boils down to 'how well can you contribute to the team with this weapon', but these weapons have natural advantages.

Basically, you want to have a couple people on offense to beat them back into their base, plus another person keeping the zone inked and defended, with someone else acting as a safe jump point. A Dual Squelcher, a Splattershot Pro, a .96 Gal, and an E-liter would probably be a very optimal setup if everyone played to their strengths.

The blaster is great on Splat Zones when the game is not ignoring the fact that you just shot somebody in the face with it twice so they can murder you.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 10, 2015

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

Don't know if this has been posted, but there is an Honest Game Trailer for Splatoon out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gZmJLuVAI

What kind of scrublord turns off gyro aiming

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't know why they don't let you use the same Wiimote controls as Metroid Prime (or do they?). I might have actually preferred that over the gamepad.

Donnerberg posted:

Everyone. Pepperoni without pineapple is unthinkable. It'd be like joining a team without dogs.

Team Dog does not officially endorse this nonsense.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snuffman posted:

Question:

I know they're holding back some features as DLC, has there been any word about taking a friend and you online from the same console ala Mario Kart? Or is the local multiplayer forever stuck on 1v1?

I assume gear gets better as I level up? I'll start seeing stuff with more abilities and slots?

There's no way to swap around the secondary and ultimate abilities that come with weapons? I assume that's the point but I'm curious.

There hasn't been any DLC announced, it's all free stuff at the moment, just released piecemeally instead of all at once
No
Probably
Yes
No

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Christo posted:

Without a way to lock on, Splatoon with Metroid Prime's controls would be way too slow at turning to keep up with Wii U gamepads.

I don't see why moving a wiimote around would be any different or slower than moving a gamepad around. Plus you can adjust sensitivity in the options menu already.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Typical sniper player up there, aiming at nothing, contributing nothing and waiting to be killed

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kaethela posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fix posted:

If this is the kind of semantic arguing we can expect from a Dog administration, I'm voting NO!

Is there such thing as brain parasites you can catch from dogs?
Science says no. Can't argue with science, mang.

• Locked thread