Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Really wish they'd open up the demo some more. The wait is killing me.
Me too. I only found out about the demo 5 minutes before the last hour ended :negative:

Speaking of which, does anyone know any good youtube/twitch links of people playing this that don't have too annoying voiceovers or the person playing aggressively ignoring every bit of text then having no idea what's going on?

Meme Emulator posted:

What exactly was the "S-Thing" that we all drew in middle school?
Nobody really knows. Apparently people were even drawing it back in the '40s and '50s so it's not even really a '90s thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think I might be getting a bit too hyped for this game, considering I bought a USB network adaptor for my WiiU for the sole reason that I can play Splatoon online at work on lunch breaks when it comes out :v:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Woo, go Team Rock... :smith:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Szmitten posted:

1 hour 30 minutes to squid. I'm doing this to make sure I've got the time right since I'm BST and missed one by an hour last time so feel free anyone to correct me and make sure I'm not doing that again.

That seems to be right, at least according to this time converter thing someone linked on reddit.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Got in a lobby on my own somehow. I swear that timer in the top left keeps resetting itself.

The two matches I DID get into were fun. Motion controls are definitely going to take some getting used to.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Only lost one match so far :clint:

Also, keep getting the warehouse a whole load more than the oil rig. Weird.

e: Splattershot Jr is definitely the best weapon for my style

Icedude fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 24, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Aww, it's over :smith:

Splattershot Jr is insane and I love it. Gotta love making a mad dash at the start of Warehouse to get to the crates in the very center and then point-blank splatting their charger who climbs up these a second or two later. :laugh: Totally going to be using that or the even faster firing splatter in the full game.

In fact generally playing ambush tactics by hiding in your ink and popping out to get enemies who wander nearby is surprisingly effective, and that's without the gear in the full game that hides your wake when moving in ink :allears:

e: Also the EU version having "Nice!" and "To me!" instead of "Booyah!" and "C'mon!" is bullshit :colbert:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 24, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

evilmiera posted:

That really the music they're going for? Somehow doesn't seem fitting.
I think most brightly colored games are contractually obliged to have one really out of place song for some reason. Remember 'Birthday Cake' from JSRF? :suicide:

Man, that thing hits a lot harder than I was expecting, he was splatting dudes with only like 2 or 3 hits. The Splash Wall on the other hand doesn't really look too useful at all on wide open maps like Saltspray,

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Man, the Blaster itself looks like it'd really fit my style, but that Sub/Special combo? Eesh. Would have liked something in there that you can actually use to paint with. Hoping one of the alternate sets for it is more useful.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You need the gamepad so you can see the map, and launch yourself to your allies. Without the Gamepad you would be missing out on a significant ability

To be fair, they could just have a small on-screen minimap and then give you a button that fullscreens it and brings up the superjump list. I'd actually rather have it that way so you could play the game on the gamepad itself.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

maps are on a daily rotation, with only two available for each mode. That's the dumbest drat thing I've heard in a while.

4-hour rotation, actually.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

i have no idea how the gear system works
Yeah, I'm having that problem too. How do I use the secondary abilities my gear has? They don't have HUD icons like the main ones do. Also is there a way to reroll gear if you get traits you don't want?

In fact are traits even random? Pretty much everyone in starter gear seems to have had the same secondaries.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

For having the teams decided at 'random', I seem to get teams stacked against me an awful lot. 90% of my matches have been ended with me being the highest scorer on the losing team :(

Anime Curator posted:

Splat the earth :black101:

Now I'm just imagining a Splatoon game where the arenas are Mario Galaxy style tiny planets with funky gravity. That would be amazing.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The shoe guy is already deep-fried :v:.

It's just a jacket :ssh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

EllDoubleYew posted:

So I just bought the game and I blow high volumes of rear end. Anyone wanna team up/have a group already going I could hop in on? I kinda want to win a game.

Winning and losing are more to do with the entire team then just one guy. I've lost most of my games despite being the top scorer of the team if not game, and yet when I was trying the chargers I won a game where I barely got 200 points.

Just keep at it, and hope you don't get teamstacked against by the RNG too often.

Oh, and joining on friends still has randomised teams. You're just as likely to be put against a friend as you are to be put with them.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I just wanted to say how cool and floppy Squid form is when dry land. They did a great job animating them to actually bend to match the ground under them.

Also, a thing related to the Sunken Scrolls: The jingle that plays when a train arrives at the station in the background of Inkopolis is the song you find on one of the scrolls :allears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh maaaan! The Squid amiibo challenges are soooooo fuuuuun! Who can resist doing a time trial, but with the ability to blaze through using the Kraken special? Not me! :allears:

I wish it had been nothing but those. The limited ink challenges are infuriatingly 'Nintendo Hard'.

God help me if any of the bosses are limited ink challenges...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Sponges get smaller when Octopaint hits them, so it could work in multiplayer if they played it the same way (repeated hits with the same color grow, with the other color shrink). If anything they'd be unworkable because in a firefight they'd always be small as they become heavily contested.

They could just be locked to a specific team depending on which side of the map they're on, so the ones on the orange team's side grow with orange ink and shrink with blue ink and so on.

I'm wondering we're going to get the Ink Geysers in some levels too. They don't seem to need to be team specific at all, and are good for splatting people as well as moving around.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Theta Zero posted:

Speaking of which, is it just me or does the game constantly put you in games where at least half the players are in Japan? Because if it's not just a lack of any matchmaking whatsoever, then I can only assume that the servers think California is just driving distance away from Eastern Asia.

I think it's because there's just so many Japanese playersand it doesn't care about region. I keep ending up in matches where half the player list or more is Japanese, and I'm in England ffs :suicide:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Being stuck in a part-full lobby when the map switchover hits and then having to wait for the full 3 minute timer to get out suuucks :argh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The 56Gal works surprisingly well in Ranked, especially on Skatepark as simply splatting one person in the zone is enough to flip it :getin: Just unlocked the 96Gal too so I'm gonna have to get the cash to take that for a whirl in Ranked later.

I think the reason I was sucking so bad all weekend was because I was connecting to a slow connection by wifi. Plugging in a network cable on an actually fast connection has turned me into a killing machine :clint:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Anyone know if the Opening Gambit or Last-Ditch Effort abilities are noticeable? They sound pretty handy and I have some one-star gear with them on. Although I guess Last-Ditch effort would be pretty useless in Ranked.

Tenacity is definitely worth taking if you have some gear with it, along with Stealth Jump. Ninja Squid not so much because you're already so hard to see while swimming anyway.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Sabby23 posted:

Almost three times as many motion controls than dual analog so far, kinda more than I expected.

The main problem I'm having with motion controls is that I still feel like I have to use the analog stick for left/right in the middle of fights because I can't look far enough to each side otherwise. Maybe I have my sensitivity set too low if that affects the left/right range of the motion controls?

I'm not entirely sure sensitivity affects motion controls at all, at least I didn't notice much of a difference when I was messing around with that setting.

And yeah, you should mostly just be using the right stick for most of your aiming/turning and then just fine tuning with the motion controls. Thats the one reason I wish we could play on the gamepad screen really, so you could use motion controls for all aiming entirely without being tied to looking in the direction of the TV.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Locking down an entire team because they all keep superjumping to the one same spot one by one will never get old, especially when it lets you turnaround from 20 seconds left on their timer to a knockout :allears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think there must be some way to game the random abilities, because I just was in a match against a guy who had 4 defense ups on a single item of clothing, with one or two more on his other gear :cripes:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Hit Rank B in the last match before the map switch just now :getin:

The .96 Gal has no right being this good. What does the Deco version come with? The Sprinkler is nice, but I'd like a more offensive special than just the Echolocator

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Seeker and Inkstrike

oh my god. I need that RIGHT NOW. I'm going to be so OP it isn't even funny :allears:

edit: oh, it's the .52 and not the .96? Ah well, still a drat good gun either way. Hits hard and keeps you out of the range of Rollers and Aerosprays, but now with added comedy Seeker snipes and the emergency timer stopper button

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 3, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think the Damage and Defense ups might be slightly more useful than the shooting range datamining shows, because the shooting range dummies don't take any damage from being in your ink. The Damage Up might not be able to push guns from a 3HKO to a 2HKO just from shot damage alone, but the additional ink damage might just be enough to tip that over the edge, even with Ink Resistance shoes.

Still probably better to take stuff like Tenacity though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Man, the test area does the inkbrush no justice at all. I thought it was bad but decided to take it for a spin in Turf War anyway. I keep top scoring my teams with aerospray level scores and that's even when I keep forgetting to use the sprinkler :allears:

Probably much worse in Splat Zones, but who knows.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

I just Googled it and got drat this is rad as hell

Are those Miiverse Posts as the neon signs and fireworks?! :allears:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

For a 'random' team generator, it sure loves saddling me with teams of nothing but rollers, brushes and aerosprays when we're up against 96 gals, splattershot pros, and chargers all of a sudden. I was 1 win away from getting into B+ and now I'm only 1 loss away from being bumped back down to B- :suicide:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Is there any difference between a 2 star with an added slot and a 3 star item?

Nope, shouldn't be. Upgrades just add another star onto the clothing.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I'm not going to lie if they do a splatfest for Callie versus Marie I know which one I'd back.

That would seriously be the splatfest that would start World Turfwar 2. Probably wouldn't bother this thread so much, but other sites would go up in flames.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

They don't explain the ranked mode scoring very well. for some reason when we got down to 22 (us) vs 24, those numbers stopped going down, and another number started going up, even when we controlled the point. then eventually their second number went down, and we lost. the mode description doesn't even talk about a second number!

That's the penalty counter. If you're in the lead and the enemy takes control of the zone, you get penalty time equal to the difference between your score and theirs. When you take control of the zone again, the penalty time counts down before your score, and you can't keep scoring until that penalty timer has counted down to zero.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 11, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

What IS a kelp dome tho

It's probably the squid version of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yumenoshima_Tropical_Greenhouse_Dome

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nothing like quadra-splatting the entire enemy team with a single kraken jump just as the last 20 seconds hit :unsmigghh:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well that was something, won a match by less than 1% after the enemy hit us with an after-the-buzzer inkstrike :stonklol:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

The trucks are out for Splatfest.

Oh that's a nice touch. Nintendo definitely working the "show, don't tell" thing to let you know splatfest is coming. :allears:

Afro posted:

loving lame. So these idiots couldnt handle a loss in unranked?

Or could just be a connection error on their end

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Now's a good time to take the Jet Squelcher out for a spin. Nothing but lots of low-range targets everywhere.

But also Suction Bombs, dear god so many Suction Bombs...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Here's how you play the game. On the count of three we both throw out our hands in the shape of a symbol "cat" is represented by two cat ears, "bread" is represented by a flat slice of bread, and "rock" is represented by a fist which you would pump in the air if you were excited because of listening to rock. Cat beats bread, Rock beats Cat, and Bread beats Rock.

I"m not sure what the rationale for that last one is though.

You can't make a sandwich out of rock.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Finally got to B+! And off a match where we were outnumbered 3 to 2 as well :clint:

The Jet Squelcher really destroys at the moment thanks to nearly everyone rolling SSJ, Aerospray or Splat-o-matic. So many easy kills, either from range or from nobody expecting a Squelcher to have a kraken up their sleeve :allears:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 13, 2015

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I can't remember who pointed out this look to me but I'm totally going to use it any time I use a roller-type from now on :v:

Also Team Rock.

Cat if I could, stupid pointless region-specific stupidity :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

These limited ink challenges are hard as balls. Am I missing something, like ink tank upgrades applying to the tanks it gives you or something? I'm always completing them with a tiny sliver left on the last bar on the left even when I only shoot when absolutely necessary.

• Locked thread