Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Whatever else happens, this thread derail was worth it just to see that. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

oh come now. he was intimately aware of the recent events involving her family, and that was contrasted with her not even knowing the basic marital status of his parents. its just another bit of evidence of the alienation she feels from her supposed peers
Alison is a protagonist, and she knows it. It's her whole conflict, and why she has such trouble accepting that she can't fix everything herself with one knockout punch. Of course she doesn't pay as much attention to the feelings of "supporting characters", or even her sister.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

this comic is super white, it's basically about the experience of incredibly privileged and aware of how unfairly tilted the world is in your favor and yet not being able to do anything about it and this part reflects the fact that well-meaning privileged people can still be incredibly hurtful or something idk
It's pretty common to see "superpowers as metaphor for persecution" (X-Men, et al), but I think this is the first comic I've seen that's really direct or explicit about "superpowers as metaphor for privilege".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, superpowers only work as a story about marginalization/etc if they make you look hideous or if you can't control them, otherwise get hosed and stop whining :allears:
Or if you're original-flavor Angel (The X-Men one, not the Buffy one) in a universe where being able to fly is about as rare as being able to whistle.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

Nah, he still gets to look gorgeous
He also gets a mostly-useless power that also happens to mark him very clearly as a Mutant. It's like being Beast or Nightcrawler, but without the actual cool parts of being Beast or Nightcrawler.

Edit VVV 'Pretty' mutations that don't protect at all against bullets. His options are "fly away", "run away", or "get loving murdered by evil mutants and mutant-haters alike".

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Now that's a superpower worth having.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hahaha, I love Alison's response in that last panel. :allears: There's a lot she's doing wrong, but at least she isn't giving up because it's hard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get these guys together and up to date and sparred with if she's just going to kill them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

All you people saying she's going through all these stupid hoops just to kill some mooks should be supervillians. And never, ever be writers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Please do. If I am proven wrong, and her killing them ends up happening, AND well-executed, I will eat all the crow I deserve.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what's going to happen. It's just far too much of a detour and pacing slowdown just to accomplish "yes, Moonshadow is evil".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm an idiot, news at 11.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 15, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know how, I just somehow completely misread that post as "didn't you guys read the alt text in the previous page?". I have no idea how.

:negative:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, fine, I was wrong. The thing with her killing them happened and is kind of interesting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thinking on it, I kinda gotta wonder if Moonshadow is being set up as a foil for Feral.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

Due process is kind of a failed idea, though. These are all people who got away with the poo poo they do and would have continued to do so in perpetuity. The American justice system is fuckin useless, and relying on it to make the world a better place is outright foolish.

Moonshadow's doing way more to make the world a better place than Allison is.
Where do you draw the line? Vigilante justice is kind of perfectly set to be a slippery slope, and very quickly just becomes targeting whoever the vigilante (or mob) thinks deserves it.

I'd like to remind anyone who condones vigilante justice that those arguments are just about the exact same justifications used in the deep south by lynch mobs.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's kind of funny (and by funny I mean tragic, scary, and really good writing) that Moonshadow's moral views aren't that far from Pintsize's. They both see things in a very black and white "Good Guys and Bad Guys" kind of way. It's entirely possible that the only reason the positions aren't flipped is that there's something in Moonshadow's past regarding sexual violence that made it easy for her to find new Bad Guys.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In retrospect, what was the point of the last, like, ten pages? "She's got superpowers, she's crazy, and she kills rapists"? We knew that. A few weeks ago, I said there was no way this scene was going to just be her killing them and still work as a competent, coherent addition to the narrative.

I stand by that statement, these last few pages feel pretty pointless.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Seems like a good time to keep my promise.
Looks like we were both right, then. You were right that it happened, I was right that it's poorly-executed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Error 404 posted:

And they hate it when you're making with ze funny shtuff.
But it's just so wacky!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

i guess i feel it would go against the themes of the story for patrick to be outright lying to allison (as opposed to omitting his ongoing gray work)

also, idk why people always make this assumption that being able to sense and interpret people's thoughts would in any way indicate they can control them. it's like "i have ears, why can't i make people say what i want them to"
It's not just that he can hear their thoughts, he can read even their deepest, most shameful poo poo. He knows exactly what motivates each and every person he comes in contact with.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

The one objection I would raise is that Patrick's conversation with Alison never once suggested "the government" was responsible for the targeted killings he uncovered, per se.

Which would be appropriate since biodynamism is a transnational phenomena. We're probably talking about an independent group here, not just "THE US GOVERNMENT" and I think Alison knows that.
Replace "The US Government" with a generic "THEY :tinfoil:", and the theory still works.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Male Man posted:

shrieking horror of meat and bone
Stashing that away in a vault for if I ever write a horror story. Thank you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

That doctor's got some good philosophizing going on, but vigilante killings are still A Bad Thing*, and Bad Things should be stopped. A societal shift in power is interesting, but yo, killing's bad and it's worth trying to put out that specific fire if you have an idea of who did it, even as you try to take a step back and try to find a more elegant, global and societal solution to many of the Bad Things happening out there.

*One of many bad things, including rape, sexual assault and misogyny in the law, which should also be stopped!
Maybe she's secretly Dr. Horrible (pun intended) and thinks it'd just be treating a symptom? The fish rots from the head, as they say. So maybe her thinking is that they should cut off the head.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Or to put it another way, she's asking Alison why this one particular event of violence is getting so much more press than the ones we let slide every day.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's not all bad, Native Alaskans and veterans get free health care in Alaska. Seriously it's really god drat good, I walked in without an appointment and saw a dentist within 20 minutes got some xrays done had a few dentists look at it and consult over the results.
It's really good, just don't get raped!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

Yes, but that was a mayor of a town of 7,000 people, not as governor of the state.
Which is somehow better than her charging women for their own rape kits, then getting elected governor?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Makes her better qualified than Barack HUSSEIN Obama to be president according to the republican party.
Don't you mean IRAQ HUSSEIN OSAMA? :smugbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Yyyyyep. I read Ender's Game, thought "That book was awesome!" and so I grabbed the next book I could find by Card and... :smith:

Even better, I managed to convince myself it must have been a fluke, and wasted time/money reading the stupid sequels and prequels to Ender's Game too. :doh:
Hey! Speaker for the Dead was passable, and Xenocide... I never read Xenocide, but I've heard it's not all bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You sly dog! You got me monologuing!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This whole goddamn page feels like a non-sequitur.

"Oh, I'm a good person, is that what you know I am?"
Next page, suddenly blushy romance, until it snaps back to him being a dick?

What exactly, the gently caress, is happening here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wittgen posted:

I don't think she's a a mega genius. I think she's a run of the mill, top percentile smart young woman. That's enough to explain school being easy, but it's a far cry from inventing AI as a side project or becoming an expert on time travel in a few hours.
That would honestly make a lot more sense.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but Patrick is a telepathic super-genius master manipulator with the accumulative knowledge of multiple lifetimes of geniuses, and Allison is just running rings around him.
I guess he forgot to pick up their mundane social skills.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, Christ. What would that even mean? That he chose this time to decide to rage-propose to her? Or as a token of "hey, I'm pretty loving busy with this whole conspiracy thing, but maybe once I'm done..."

Would he even do that earnestly, or would it be a manipulation tactic?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Strong Female Protagonist: Throwing Fair-Trade, Looney Tunes Coffee Cups at The Man

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The best word to describe this chapter is "aimless".

If I got a second word, I'd use "pointless".

And then, if I somehow got a third word in, it'd be "tone deaf". What is the point of all this? What is the throughline of this chapter that makes any of this loving matter at all?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I feel like the comic should just drop the idea of chapters and just be ongoing so y'all can stop obsessing about what a chapter is about and how long it's going for.
I feel like that would probably just compound the "recent events have been aimless" problem, whether you call it an arc or a chapter, it's still a thematic mess. At least this way, it's a self contained thematic mess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Basically Something Positive is Questionable Content, but with character growth
No, no. Even QC at least has Jeph Jacques constantly trying to keep Tumblr happy. Having the main character enter a relationship with a trans girl out of nowhere is hamhanded, but it's a lot better than racist rape jokes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jackard posted:

SFP: Throwing Fair-Trade, Organic Coffee Mugs at The Man
That joke wasn't funny when I made it like three pages ago. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Falstaff posted:

Wait, you're asking for nuance about rape? Rape isn't a bad thing that otherwise good people do. I mean, I can see your point about Furnace, kind of, but you wanted Miles to be given some nuance? :psyduck:
I think the point Hallgerd is making is... kinda similar to the issue with showing only moustache-twirlingly-evil people be racist. It robs the event of its impact because instead of it being "this is an evil that anyone is capable of", it becomes "oh, don't worry, only cartoonishly evil people actually rape/are racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know, I find that "men are bad, unless they have cancer or a bat's head" is pretty nuanced.
Well, there's also...

Uh...

The teleporting fashion designer guy?

• Locked thread