Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Abbott being only 10 points behind in favorability among Hispanics means Davis has her work cut out for her.

I live in West Texas in an area with a pretty significant amount of Hispanics and it's not uncommon for many of them to lean conservative/vote Republican, usually for FYGM reasons. This seems to be especially true if they're doing well financially (and you don't even have to be well educated to get a lot of money out in this area thanks to the oil boom).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

I could be overestimating the intelligence of the average Republican, though.

I work in a federal job with many intelligent people who become absolutely stupid when it comes to politics. During the government shutdown some people jumped through mental hoops trying to blame Obama 100%, making Ted Cruz into a hero and saying the shutdown was a good thing...all while they weren't getting paid because of Republicans (and specifically Ted Cruz)! At best, a lot of them said both parties were equally to blame.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Didn't George P. Bush wait until after JEB! withdrew from the race to endorse Cheeto?

I don't think Bush endorsed him until after the Republican convention.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

I love in west Texas and...I haven't seen a single sign or sticker for either one of them. :shrug:

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Marxalot posted:

Good news y'all. I have seen my first Beto sign in my neighborhood. Still no Ted Cruz signs.

I predict that Beto will win with a 100% landslide.

Same. I saw my first Beto sign the other day as well. Still nothing for Cruz. West Texas is in the bag for Beto.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

FBS posted:

there goes his endorsement from Abbott

lol

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

Is that what it actually is? I'm a "2%'er" and know nothing about the traditions of the school I both attended as a student and where I currently work.

Same for when I went there. People will ask me about random traditions sometimes and I'm always like "uhhhh I dunno."

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Jiro posted:

This is getting harder to listen to, everything that comes out of Cruz's mouth pisses me off. And it's a finely honed tactics befit of being a champion debater.

He knows how to nitpick poo poo and suck you into bullshit arguments. Beto is trying to fight this by being calm and factual. I don't think it's working.

The Zodiac claims another victim.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Jiro posted:

I get like this every debate where I have a horse in the race. It's way more fun when I hate everyone on the dais.

Edit: Heeeey a Soros mention.

I was agreeing with you actually. I don't think he came off that great.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

West Texas sign update:

I've seen several Beto signs around town in the last month. However, there's been a sudden upcropping of Cruz signs in the last week or so. I guess they finally got their order placed. There's probably an equal amount around here now.

Still haven't seen any bumper stickers for either one though.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Obama did a second wave of endorsements. Beto didn't make the cut.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/01/barack-obama-endorses-texas-candidates/

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

There are lots of Cruz signs in my area now, and some of them are huge like that other poster noted. The one thing I have noticed about them is that they're always posted at businesses or empty lots while the Beto signs are at people's homes.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I went back and forth from Austin to San Antonio to see friends all the time, it's not that bad unless you're going North Austin to South San Antonio

I looked up how far it is from Austin to San Antonio and yeah, that's nothing. I live in west Texas so it's at least a 4 hour drive to any major cities. (Or less if you count Lubbock I don't)

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Drone Jett posted:

2%ers represent

:hfive:

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Dameius posted:

Next thing you gonna say is Horchata is not any good too, huh?

If he said that he'd be right.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

TropicalCoke posted:

my high school football coach was caught slamming the US Govt teacher in the classroom by a student

My HS football coach was the US Govt teacher.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Grew up in west TX near Midland, went to college in B/CS, recently moved to San Antonio.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

zoux posted:

Just like 15 years ago the state GOP was, compared to today, extremely fine on immigration. GWB and his strategists were pretty forward thinking in regards to demo shifts, and as it was put in the 2012 Romney autopsy “Latino voters aren’t going to hear a word coming out of your mouth if they think you want to deport their grandma”. Governor Bush etal, and even Perry for a time, recognized that the Latino vote in Texas isn’t monolithic and there is a significant percentage, mostly older, who like the standard GOP pitch of jobs, God and family values. Ultimately the party couldn’t overcome its racism and after Trump they SHOULD never see a significant amount of Latino support going forward.

All that to say, even Republicans are worse on certain issues important to Latino voters than they were 20 years ago.

https://twitter.com/roycewesttx/status/1235346286406139906?s=21

Good statement. With no full progressive in it anymore, I think West is the obvious choice over Hegar.

Didn't Trump actually get more hispanic votes than Romney?

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

while he is a centrist, he has been on the right side of a lot of issues privately if not publicly.

That kind of makes it worse, tbh.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah the semester abroad people coming back and accidentally calling it a lift

https://twitter.com/Joannabr_atx/status/1237360370752372737

This is on the back of a twitter discussion where a guy posted a poll of Hispanic voters in FL that showed that 70% (69% actually :grin: ) prefer Hispanic and that only 1% prefer Latinx. Scott Braddock chimes in and says he's never heard anyone in Texas use that term irl, Gene Wu claps back that that's because he doesn't interact with people under 40, and now the mentions are full of stuff like this. I've seen similar polls that show minuscule support from the Hispanic community around the term Latinx nationally, wondering what y'all see/hear around these parts.

Honestly, most of the Hispanic people in the area I grew up in just referred to themselves as Mexican. Other than that, I've always heard either Hispanic or Latino. Only heard Chicano regularly used by a college professor. Never heard Latinx used outside of the internet.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

🇨🇱 🇨🇱 🇨🇱

The Great State of...Chile?

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

I'm not sure whether to be amused or roll my eyes that someone wasted their time on this.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Blotto_Otter posted:

Can't imagine where you might get the impression that state leadership isn't on the up-and-up...

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1262257093031202816

loving rear end in a top hat.

As I walked past the TV this morning, San Antonio local news was doing a bit on gyms reopening and had a reporter visiting a gym. The reporter and the gym manager were standing 4 feet from each other, no masks on. In the background there was one person in the gym, a big (and a don't mean muscular) man struggling to lift a moderately-sized dumbbell who was, to his credit, wearing a surgical mask.

The Rivard Report (a San Antonio nonprofit newspaper) had a reporter visit some malls over the weekend and look at mask compliance. They said that the outdoor Shops at La Cantera were fairly busy and a majority didn't bother with masks, but almost everyone they saw at another indoor mall were wearing masks, with the exception of a dude in a sleeveless Punisher shirt walking around slowly and making eye contact with everyone... because of course.

I knew this reopening would be handled poorly, but even in my cynicism I didn't appreciate just how poorly. Everything I've read says that masks can do a lot to cut transmission without forcing businesses to close, and yet the feds and state officials can't even ask their snowflake base to endure that most minor of inconveniences.

Huh, weird. I'm in San Antonio but it seems like everyone in my area is wearing a mask when they're out doing stuff. I think I've only seen one guy get pissed off about it and leave a store as a result. My friends in west Texas (Big Spring/Midland/Odessa) say it's basically non-existent there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

i say swears online posted:

chipotle is better than freebirds no I will not be replying to inquiries

They're both extremely mediocre.