Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

So what are y'alls thermostats at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Keeping it at 76, I'm doing my part!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Ivory Hecker

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Immortal lock that the $250 million coming out of the prison system is from the food budget. Nutraloaf for all!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Please god I hope they kill the 45 expansion

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Shooting Blanks posted:

Serious question: what are the alternatives to the 45 expansion? It's been on the table for so long that I don't know that I've even seen other plans beyond just " the Pierce elevated will suck forever"

just not doing it would be great, TxDOT could set the money on fire and it would be more socially and environmentally beneficial than expanding 45

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The Woodlands... is not good.

One of my uncles moved out past Conroe because the Woodlands was getting too built up or something like that :psyduck:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Houston mayor is limited to two four-year terms, county judges can serve as long as they keep getting re-elected. It would probably be better to not become mayor of Houston.

Also a Houston mayor tried running for governor and 2010 and got creamed, so, not exactly a good precedent. And Bill White was an old white former CEO with much of his business experience in the energy sector.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Yeah a Lina Hidalgo is basically the mayor of Harris County, no idea why she's called a judge but she doesn't do anything with hearing cases.

Also somewhat confusingly, she heads the commissioners court, which is also not a thing that hears cases - there are four county commissioners (no idea if this number is standard for all Texas counties or just for Harris), and the five of them vote on stuff for the government to do or not do. Hidalgo has executive power over county government organs but is just a regular voting member of the court, she can't veto anything and if she loses a vote, she is bound to follow the outcome.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

There's definitely nothing in Galveston that needs any government money, send it all to the border!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

That guy looks to be shopping for fixed rate plans, which is smart. Remember, all the people who were facing tens of thousands of dollars had variable rate plans, or were Griddy customers that exposed people to wholesale energy prices, which is basically predatory and should never have been allowed. On a fixed rate plan, it's your retail provider who gets hosed when energy prices spike.

Still, I never understood how adding a power retail middleman was supposed to lower prices. Adding another layer just means another person who needs to skim profit off. Bring back Houston Lighting and Power!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zoux posted:

Right, but your average guy doesn't know anything about wholesale v. retail power. I have Austin Energy and I have never once even spared a thought for "Gee who should I buy electricity from". Also a lot of other states are deregulated in this regard, but a) are still connected to the national grid and b) require things like capacity markets and other safeguards so that you don't have 10000 amps running through a straightened out coathanger suppling 50 percent of power to the city of Houston.

Of course, I also think that power, and indeed all public utilities, should be federalized.

Yeah for sure, it's idiotic. Asking consumers to get involved in wholesale markets that they almost certainly don't understand (lord knows I don't) is asking for them to get taken advantage of, and even variable rate plans are like that. If you don't have much money, a variable rate plan that promises lower rates on average is going to look better than an more expensive fixed rate plan... until prices spike. You're basically asking people to gamble on energy prices, which, why the gently caress should a normal person need to understand this? Get rid of it! Just run all these utilities as government-owned service providers that don't need to make money. It's not like Houston has deregulated water (although the city council did recently raise water prices :argh:)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

In Houston it's basically impossible to get a speeding ticket it seems. I have a friend who moved to San Antonio and he always complains about traffic enforcement and how many speeding tickets he gets. Go the speed limit dude!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

It's not strictly traditional but andouille and chorizo are both great in chili

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I really love the idea of cooking ground beef in a separate frying pan but not then cooking your vegetables in the rendered beef fat. Who needs that!

Chili is a one pot dish man!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Just realized he wants you to use sugar and brown sugar... what da...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Houston is alright and i enjoy living here but if anyone is touting proximity to Galveston as a plus... just lol. It's a negative if anything, you might end up knowing someone who actually likes going there my wife really likes Galveston :suicide:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Corpus Christi is pretty nice, or it was the last time I went which was like 8 years ago.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

drat lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hey Biden: poz my neg hole (if you dare)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if the rule you followed brought you to this bathroom, of what use was the rule?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The sidewalks in Houston, where they exist, are almost always in lovely condition. There are also a lot of homeless people here, where the hell did your friend hear otherwise?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

*walking into warby parker* ah yes I'll have the pedophile glasses, please

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I went to HEB on Sunday and hardly anyone was wearing a mask except for the employees. I think I was the only non-old person who was wearing a mask.

For my household it feels kind of pointless to wear masks anymore, my wife's employer is requiring her to be in-person full time, and she works with the public, and my kid is in daycare. In fact my wife and I are both suffering from some kind of respiratory illness, but we went out for COVID tests this weekend and it's not that thank goodness. I'm still going to be wearing a mask in public for the foreseeable future but it also feels like I'm going to get COVID anyway. We're both fully vaccinated at least.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

very glad the daycare we send our kid to made its employees get the covid vaccine and makes them wear masks all day.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/brianlopeztx/status/1425100723973406734

You take out covid, that puts bed capacity at 73%, is that normal? Seems high to me.

Unused capacity is inefficient and expensive, so they've been eliminated. There are other factors as well, but the US had more hospital beds in 1975 than it did in 2019. Best healthcare system in the world!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Your honor, I should not be punished for drunk driving this time because of all the other times I escaped punishment for drunk driving, furthermore, I do everything else while drunk.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

The idea of getting wasted at PF Chang's with an infant in tow is extremely funny. Old Lady West rocks!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Oh no they demolished the siloes, what was that land being used for before being turned into a church?

quote:

After operating as a grain elevator for decades, the site was most recently a boat and RV storage lot.

Hmm can't really say we lost very much here.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i think houston and austin are both fine v:shobon:v

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I saw Hakeem Olajuwon at a restaurant in the 90s. He was very tall.

He looked especially tall to me because I was like 7 or 8.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

George H.W. oval office posted:

If you didn't see James Harden at a strip club in Houston did you even really live there?

I saw him at a hookah bar once

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol my boss has a kid in school and both she and her daughter already got Covid. My boss is vaccinated!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

me and the boys getting absolutely blasted on ivermectin

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Spacebump posted:

I got a job offer today in Texas and I just don't know if I want to move back with how crazy it seems to be getting.

What part of Texas, it's a big state

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dalstrs posted:

We're all under the same crazy state government.

Yeah but the people you'll encounter in your day to day life in Midland will be different than if you move to a DFW exurb and that will be different than if you move to what passes for an urban core in Houston.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jokes posted:

Except Houston has better food.

But Dallas has sidewalks…..

Houston also has sidewalks (inside the loop)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

litany of gulps posted:

I don't know man, I drove through Houston neighborhood Sugar Land once, and it looked like what portions of Dallas aspired to be...

Sugar Land is a suburb and its own city, not part of Houston. It is also a bad racist suburb.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Governor McConaughey slams his fist on his desk and screams into his phone. “I don't give a hot gay gently caress what the lege says! Legalize weed, dude!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Skyarb posted:

Hello thread, I'm very late to this issue and I'm also dumb. How is the new Texas law on abortion even legal with Roe v Wade?

There are 5 anti abortion justices on the supreme court, that's how