Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah I have to say, this show's campy, trashy southern gothic charm has almost totally evaporated by this point. It was really going strong until about the third or fourth season and then BAM. Rapid downhill slide.

For all of its flaws, Season 1 & 2 TB were very, very well written. Season 2 had tons of character development and plot twists and it was engaging and fun. But what the hell is going on now? It's basically "The Walking Dead" but with vampires and on HBO. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That was good, much better than the last one.

And also Sookie, wtf, why didn't you listen to Alcide? Uh yes you could very well pack up and move away from Bon Temps where everyone hates you and your best friend just died. Seriously. It is that easy.

Characters like Eric & Arlene really do carry the show on their backs, honestly. Carrie Preston is the unsung hero of the whole show. She steals pretty much every scene she's in.

e: OH and also I think it's so funny how the witches from S4 were absolutely 100% right about the vampires and how they'd end up destroying humanity forever. Speaking of... why doesn't Holly just, I don't know, cast some kind of spell to keep the vamps away like she did back in S4?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 30, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Maximusi posted:

Can someone explain what that was all about? Why did she leave with Bill?

I bet you any money she's going to try to get herself captured so she can find out where the Hep V vamps are hiding everyone. She asked if Bill could "feel her fear", meaning sense where she is and therefore where the captives are.

It's a plan dumb enough only SOOOKEH could come up with it.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Kazanir posted:

I realized how much more I liked Bill in S1 thanks to those flashbacks. He's way more annoying these days.

That entire flashback was cute. I loved Sookie's character back then (and Bill's for that matter). Too bad they've kind of butchered her now.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nah, they could kill him off this season, why not? Are people gonna threaten to stop watching in protest? Honestly if half the cast hasn't met the true death by the end of the season I will be disappointed.

One of the best things HBO could do is have an Eric-centric spin-off so I sure as hell hope not.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I actually really liked that ending scene, it came as a shocker like the olden TB days and I didn't think that was just possible anymore. Someone should really do a compilation of Sookie ugly-crying and put it on Youtube.

I'm also going to bet that Sookie will end up as some well-respected queen of all vampires by the end of this or the hero of mankind or whatever because of her precious fairy blood/vagina. Which I guess would be appropriate and in keeping with who she's been since the start of the show and how much she's craved belonging.

I dunno how I feel about Lala and Jessica's Recast Boyfriend. He's getting himself in the worst kind of situation us gays can get into. It's pretty bad to watch.

I'm thrilled that Hoyt's mom's finally dead. gently caress yeah Nora errr whoever you are.

Oh and I'd just like to say that if it weren't for Alexander Skarsgard, I probably wouldn't have kept tuned-in for as long as I have. He steals the show because he's a fabulous actor and anyone doubting this should watch any of his other works... Which is why I would yet again say that an Eric-centric Angel style spin-off would be loving incredible. I love the way his character evolved throughout the show from a badass dick of a vampire who only cares about himself to a badass dick of a vampire who actually has a pretty big heart.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 7, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I don't know how anyone in their right mind could possibly be attracted to Bill at this point in the show, especially when there's so many other hot guys running around. Stephen Moyer has aged terribly and now looks like someone's rich dad. He was so attractive in S1 & 2 also so it's weird that he now looks so haggard just five years later.

Actually, he reminds me of Obama for some reason. Like his mannerisms and appearance and way of speaking. I guess that's not a bad thing but it doesn't make me think "ohh wow bill you're soooo sexy acting like a middle aged politician!"

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 8, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Krowley posted:

Any reason why you couldn't watch s5 and 6?

Russel Edgington was by far the best TB villain and IMO those two seasons was where the show peaked.

I thought 5 and 2 were the best seasons without a doubt. Season 5 had so much going on but I kinda liked that I guess. It was entertaining as all hell. The fairy night club was great, as was Russell's return, Lillith, Tara as a vamp, and the finale was really well-done. The sad part is that it kind of ended up going nowhere in season 6 for such a massive buildup. Alan Ball is a great writer and does high camp & pastiche better than most people do.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ded posted:

If that happens he has to gently caress his sister.

No thanks.

...Wha?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Nate Falls posted:

It was an inbreeding joke.

You know you have a special show on your hands when "he has to gently caress his sister" is taken literally.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I thought that was like one of the best episodes of the whole show honestly. Fantastic. It really felt like the old True Blood was back.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

If I look half as beautiful as Kristen does when I'm her age, I'll consider my whole life one big success story.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

pahuyuth posted:

Is Russell Edgington dead or just buried in concrete?

Staked by Eric in the S5 finale when he tried to eat the fairy club.

quote:

What about Niall the fairy godfather? I'd love to see Rutger Hauer again before it's all over.

He's off in another dimension, AFAIK. The last time we saw him was when he jumped out of a portal in Sookie's bathroom to help Jason stake Warlow. I believe he's confirmed for an appearance in one of the upcoming episodes but I could be wrong.

quote:

Does anyone else get the feeling that we may ultimately find out that there's no real 'True Death' and that there's a vamp afterlife? Didn't Godrick appear to Bill way back, or was that just a hallucination or something?
And given the song at the end of this episode and the episode's title, 'Death Is Not The End', as well as how crazy True Blood is anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if we find that there's an afterlife for all. I didn't pay too much attention to the Lilith/Billith poo poo so I don't know if that was addressed in any way.

Edit: Wait, did someone kill Russell last season? drat I'm dumb.

I think an afterlife is probably inconsequential to the show's overall plot, like in the sense that the writers send ghosts out to people whenever they feel they're needed. What I want to know is what the hell happened to Lillith. I was thinking she was going to be the show's Big Bad or something but she legit just vanished off the face of the Earth after possessing Bill for like two weeks and driving him to save a room full of vampires. She might've been a far more interesting foe than the stupid Hep-V vamps. I would also have liked to seen the show incorporate more demon-like creatures and enemies than just boring vampires but hey, I'm not a TB writer. If I was, the humans would've just bombed Fangtasia during the day :v:

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 14, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

Why wouldn't the vampire airline test its clients for hep v?

Be quiet the writers are sleeping.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Lafayette being a top is the craziest thing about this episode. I also laughed at Jessica calling old whatshisface an "incredible rear end in a top hat" because I bet Lafayette was thinking the same.

Also speaking of Lala: The last time he and sookie spoke, he called her the "angel of death" and basically said he wanted nothing to do with her. Now it's like they're best friends again? The relationships on this show are literally the most convoluted out of any show I've ever seen. Ever.

e: Oh one more thing... what are the Bill flashbacks about? Why do we need so many? Did they not have enough material to fill time with? Because a party with nearly every character in attendance seems like it should provide plenty of writing fodder.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 21, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Nichael posted:

I actually really like Violet too. She's crazy and possessive, but she's also kind of sweet. She genuinely tries to help people Jason cares about.

Yeah agreed. She's hot and seems to treat Jason well, at least, even despite her odd kinky quirks and hangups. He'd be an idiot to leave her for emotional trainwreck skank Jessica.

But he's Jason so being an idiot is part of his character.

e: I saw this in the Youtube comments for next week's preview and regardless of whether it's legit it seems so incredibly likely and eyeroll-inducing that I can't not share it. Like if this isn't the case, I'd be surprised:

random youtube person posted:

I was an extra on the show, so I can tell you what happens if you're interested.
SPOILER ALERT. Bill was infected with Hep V from feeding off Sookie, and Sookie was infected right before Alcide died, when she was covered in Hep V blood. This is also why the writers had Jessica specifically not want to feed off of Sookie's blood, so they had her feed from Lafayette instead, otherwise Jessica would have been infected too. However, since Sookie is part fae, her blood interacts with the Hep V virus in a different way than regular human blood. As a result, Bill's infection progresses at a much more rapid pace than normal Hep V.

After the disease runs its course, Bill turns into a human. The disease mutates from Sookie's blood and just when it looks like Bill is about to die, he becomes human. Hopefully that answers some questions.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 21, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

It's too bad because that would've been just hilarious and probably actually improved her public image somewhat.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

The Duggler posted:

The worst part of all is I don't see Pam being political at all. Or Eric. Why the gently caress should they be? One of them is older than the united States itself.

Saying she's a republicunt makes it seem like she actually cares about politics.

IM NOT BUYING IT ANYMORE ALAN

Ball has left the building... like two seasons ago.

Which explains a lot.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Jessica's/Lafayette's boyfriend is going to turn Leddie-Mae in that garden or something I bet. In reality I don't really see the point of this whole loving season.

They could have killed off the vamps entirely with hep V and it could have shown very heavy handedly that humans were the real monsters all along. But now that Sarah 'Newme' Newlin is a literal walking antidote I'm not sure what is going to happen. Eric is probably going to drink her blood and be cured, the Yakuza should be kidnapping her and making antidotes or something. So after Hep V is gone the bad guy is..... Violet?

Is Violet really going to be the final boss of True Blood?

And why the gently caress did Sarah's sister answer the door so loving casually knowing that her sister is hiding out there?

I need Ja Rule to come help me make sense of all this

Yeah, I mean the individual episodes are decent to good but overall this is very anti-climactic. There were about a thousand different routes they could've taken this show from S5-onward and they consistently chose the most boring ones. The fairies were "harvesting" humans at the start of S4, but what the hell happened to that? Queen Mab could easily have been the Final Big Bad and launched some sort of invasion on humanity for loving vampires and banishing the fairies or somesuch, what a waste of an interesting character. And don't get me started on Billith, how goddamn anti-climactic was that? What did the Vampire Goddess do anyway, possess a milquetoast 200-year old vampire Average Joe and have him save like ten vampires? Her plan loving sucked because now thousands of vampires are dead. okay.

I hate to sound like a dick, but Stephen Moyer has had a ton of input since Ball left and I strongly suspect he's part of the reason why everything now seems to center around Bill whereas before Ball left it was kind of the other way around. I recall reading some kind of article that hinted he wasn't comfortable seeing Paquin getting physical with other guys in the set which is kind of dumb given the show they star on.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 28, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Nichael posted:

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I'm pretty sure the show's casual disregard for its own rules has been true since like season 2 or 3. I mean, didn't Bill solo kill the Queen of Louisiana? She was older than him. After season 1, there was never really a point where this show was intelligent. It's just been varying degrees of insane.

He didn't. I think he told Nan what was happening in advance and she showed up with a team of snipers that then shot Sophie-Anne.

...whatever happened to Bill being the vampire king anyway? They've totally forgotten about that poo poo. It's not even a thing anymore. The reason why season 1-3 were so entertaining and yes, actually good, was because they stuck to the rules for the most part and it made the universe they'd built up fairly compelling.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Harry posted:

Do you not remember the whole season where the authority was systematically destroyed on every level?

No I don't but I do remember the season where like five vampire politicians were killed. What about the other vampires kings & queens of each state?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Shadow posted:

Half the time I see him on True Blood, I think he'd make an excellent young George W Bush.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. The first time i saw him on TB, I turned to my boyfriend and said "Wow, George Dubya must've stepped into a time machine".

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Alcide just died like a few days ago. Classic Sookie moment right there.

Also Violet is such a lame bad guy, WTF. She isn't even that intimidating. They've faced down much worse in Bon Temps.

This is definitely going to be remembered as a show known for its individual scenes and moments rather than its overaching story or characters

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

The Duggler posted:

LaFayette and Tara's mom digging up that garden was basically "hey remember that these guys exist!"

I think the girls face sums up my entire feelings on True Blood right now:

Not like this LaFayette, not like this.

I'm actually really interested in this subplot because I have literally no idea where the gently caress it's going. Sometimes I have ideas about where this show may go next but I cannot for the life of me tell you what this is about. It may be one of the weirdest plots they've ever had.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I... didn't think it was that bad? Fiona Shaw really made that season IMHO. Definitely not the best but it isn't the worst either. That honor goes to 6.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That was bad. There's almost no plot now aside from "Bill's sick you guys". Oh no not BEEL the biggest rear end in a top hat on the entire loving show! And then we have Sookeh in the opposite corner with her horrendous split ends and ugly buns.

And Jessica... ugh Jessica. Just let Hoyt go in peace you stupid slut. You and Jason are perfect for each other.

At least I care about Eric & Pam who are the two most interesting characters on the show by far, if not the only two good ones at this point. Eh oh well only two more to go.

Also if someone would like to make a compilation of everything Pam's ever said about Sookie that'd be amazing.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 11, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I think my favorite thing about the episode was the quick explanation on the fairy witch out of nowhere.

What was that? When? I seriously missed this because I was so bored.

e:wait, are you talking about the gnome lady doctor from last episode?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 11, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I could swear Bill and Sookeh were talking about it at the very start of the episode before we flipped back to Sepia mode. Bill was supposed to be with Sookeh to protect her from the fairy witch pulling everyone into her domain.

Edit: Sookeh was wanted for some weird breeding program that Beel saved her from. Went ahead and pulled up my recording to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Oh yeah, right. The faeries from season 4 who are in the same long-forgotten place as the werepanthers and werewolves and witches and Tara. She wasn't a witch though she was the fairy queen.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Ah thawt ah heard a voice. It sounded like Hoyt. Hoyt Foyt-en-berry? Did ah dream thayt?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

TMMadman posted:

So I have a few thoughts about the possible (probable now) ending that was spoilered earlier.

If the whole 'Sookies magical Hep V infected fairy blood' does end up turning Bill back into a human, wouldn't the True Blood yakuza want to get their hands on her? I mean surely there are other vampires out in the world who would like to be human again. It's not like Bill drained her dry or drank multiple times. So wouldn't the yakuza want to either control the source or eliminate it? Are they just going to write it off that it only cured Bill because of love? The whole thing just seems poorly thought out, which I guess isn't surprising for this show.

My guess:

Next episode, the exact scenario you outlined will happen. In one scene in the preview, Bill looked cured of Hep-V and he & Eric were discussing SOOKEH and it seemed like they were planning on saving her from something. Hoyt and Jess will get back together, Jason & Bridgette will hook up and find out they're perfect for one another, Pam will be pissed. As for the endgame, I'll bet Eric (maybe Pam too) becomes some kind of vampire hero or politician of somesort for his actions in distributing the cure to vampires worldwide against the wishes of the Yakuza.

That's all I got!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Ginger falling off the throne was the highlight of the episode but also somehow a falling off the treadmill moment at the same time.

I can't believe this. This show used to do tension SO loving WELL, like check out the first three seasons, it was so entertaining and action-packed and ridiculous all at once. What is going on in the writer's room? I'm no David Lynch but even I could cook up a better final season than this has been.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just can't believe that loving Eric Northman, the vampire viking badass of the past millenia, is being made to be a bitch by five human gangsters. God, back in season 2 Eric would've laughed in their faces as he ripped their throats out in three seconds AND freed Pam at the same time. What the poo poo. They really dropped the ball on this show the past two seasons

e: And don't forget bill's cringy AH ALMOST RAPED HERUHH line, god that was bad

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 18, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The answer is yes this show is awesome, don't listen to the lame nerds in this thread Ruddiger's roommmate.

This show was awesome. So was this. Whatever the hell's happening now isn't.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I wonder if Jessica will tell Hoyt about how she lied and brainwashed him multiple times or how he became emo and joined a hate group and tried to murder her because of how much he hated her. Seriously, I actually liked how they wrapped up that storyline in season 4 (was it S4? or 5? can't remember). They're so drat wrong for each other and Jess is very wrong, they weren't happy.

Actually, now that I think about it... it's pretty much exactly what Sookie's doing. I loving hate it when shows do this. It's okay to move on from someone who's totally wrong for you and not go back to them, Television Writers of America. People do it all the time in real life.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

This is a drat near iconic HBO moment right here. Denis O'Hare is one of the most criminally undervalued actors of our generation. He and Carrie Preston (Arlene) were the best talent on True Blood IMHO.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

PaulDirac posted:

Since this is the last season, im wondering if you guys have any recomendations for shows that have the same feel like the early seasons of true blood.

Six Feet Under. Not a vampire in sight but it's very similar in feel to TB (in fact, it's also written by Alan Ball) except that it never loses its awesomeness.

Also Lost Girl & Being Human, which are both Syfy shows and incredibly urban-fantasy-ish.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Six Feet Under is very different to True Blood. It's much slower and more low-key and the characters are far more believable. Lost Girl is kind of like a less good version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's not terrible, but it's never as crazy as True Blood and although there is an overarching plot to each season, each episode is more self-contained. Also, even though there's no nudity it feels a lot more pandering than True Blood does. I haven't seen the American Being Human, but the original (BBC) version is more like the later True Blood, very melodramatic and taking itself too seriously.

It is different in tone- TB is far more frivolous- but the setting and character development are similar enough that you can tell it was written by the same person. I've told a few people who like TB to watch SFU and all of them loved it. Sexuality and death are big themes as they were with True Blood. The fact that the latter is campy and silly doesn't mean they're night-and-day shows.

Also, Lost Girl is about a bisexual succubus so I kind of expect it to be "pandering" in the same way that I'd expect an HBO show about horny vampires to have lots of vampire sex. The US Being Human is two billion times better than the British one, despite what most people say to the contrary. I suspect the people angry about the US version were hardcore fans of the British version where the characters are emo and mopey and unlikable.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Sober posted:

The fact that the Yakuza are involved in the finale cannot possibly even put it anywhere close to Dexter finale levels of bad, ever. It would have to reinvent making GBS threads the bed to make Dexter's finale good in any comparison.

"Challenge accepted"- the True Blood writer's room

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Yeah I am unironcially excited about tonight. Then again, it's very hard to get me to not be excited about a series finale of any show I've been following for years. Even shows with poo poo final seasons I can get excited about if only to see how bad it'll be or how much of a butchery I'll witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is this real life.

• Locked thread