Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dirk Pitt posted:

Oh dear, I was horribly mistaken. I watched him in the Giro and he was brilliant. I guess they decided not to send him for reasons?

Edit: I see, he is likely exhausted.

I think he's said that he's planning to ride the TdF next year, so it will come in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

TraderStav posted:

Any other options for American streams that you don't have to pay for? I'm on my corporate network so the typical dodgy ones are out of scope.

Probably not. Welcome to watching things after the fact in the US!

Unless it is something like the TdF where NBC offers an app, the one-off links can be hit or miss here without much alternative. Lots of times right after a stage, someone will post the last hour or two on YouTube and you can catch it before it gets taken down. Mr.Nice usually has a link or so to such a video in his summaries.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Sagan's collared shirt is ridiculous.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

TraderStav posted:

Ever been any TdF deaths?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France#Deaths

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Smirr posted:

Pretty cool how Movistar did a lot of work on the ascent and Valverde didn't even get to attack once before getting dropped

I'm not able to watch the stage yet, but this is just embarrassing. Jesus.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The official Tour feed is saying weird things are happening on the mountain:

quote:

17:07 Nibali at 4km

With 4km to go, Nibali is 30 seconds ahead of Nibali.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Hegay posted:

Will Quintana be racing the Vuelta? Otherwise it has Froome ridden all over it

Yes, he is.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Hegay posted:

That's good. Hopefully a Contador will recover in time as well. I'm sure Riis is going through his rotadex

I believe it has already been reported that Contador is out of the Vuelta because his leg break was too severe to recover in time.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Smirr posted:

Pretty sure Nibali just tried to make everyone stop so that Peraud could catch up and they ignored him haha

They slowed down. He caught up very quickly.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Is there going to be a new Vuelta thread?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Russian Bear posted:

NBC doesn't care about the vuelta that much.

They are putting a lot of US coverage on Universal Sports which I don't have. Wish they would just keep it on NBCSN so I could watch. Bastards.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Most of the thread seems to like Quintana well enough.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Still B.A.E posted:

How far did he go then?

31.7614 miles or 51.115 km.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kimbo305 posted:

It was Sosenka on this bike:

Talk about some saddle to handlebar drop.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Why does he still get to keep the stage wins from the Giro last year? That's exactly when he was caught cheating. Is this common for doping bans?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Porte not Froome.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I forget which cycling website it was, but they did an interview with a company that developed small motors that can be hidden fairly well in the seat post. Said batteries and power can be hidden in a similar way. From afar the bikes where the engine was attached was indiscernible. They report it gives you about 100 watts over what your body is doing. Can't remember anyone actually getting caught though for this.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kimbo305 posted:

:( not with CyclingHub's latest YT account getting banned again.

Not sure if anyone has picked up the role yet but I usually just search something like "giro stage 6" and then limit the search to today and over 20 minutes. Usually get a hit starting an hour or so after the stage finished but sometimes longer. Worst part is there is no guarantee it is in a language you understand!

Cycling fans is solid for live coverage.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm not sure biggest race in the US means that much compared to followings in Europe.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The face of pain, geez.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Looking at that picture some more, I really hope my pain cave face isn't that bad.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I wasn't watching at the time, but I heard them mention a team mate giving Contador his front wheel, so it could have been a mechanical.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Looks like it's shaping up where Contador is going to have to do the bulk of the work on the climb. Not sure his teammate is going to be able to pull him up to the peloton before the climb starts.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wasn't it Contador that attacked when Schleck dropped his chain a few years ago?

Contador is a loving machine right now.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Xabi posted:

Starting to feel sorry lil' Aru.

When it's come down to it over the last week, he just hasn't looked like a guy with the legs to win. Landa looked to be in better form going into the rest day.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Is Aru planning to ride the TdF in support of Nibai this year?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

serious gaylord posted:

Aru had a 'mechanical' and had to change his bike, but forgot to take his bottle with him so has no drink for the next 20km's where hes desperately chasing back.

Looks like they'll take the hit for late feeding. He has a bottle now.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pocket posted:

Check the tweet inrng retweeted. I'm on my phone so this is the best I can do.

the Inner Ring retweeted
Mikkel Condé v2.0 @mrconde ˇ 1h 1 hour ago
Juul Jensen: "When we heard about the crash, we were already going fast. When we heard Landa was caught behind, we went even faster." #giro

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

serious gaylord posted:

Where was that effort for the last week?

Blood probably got caught in the mail.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Russian Bear posted:

1000w for a world tour pro isn't that big a deal. Especially if it's just a sub 1 min attack.

Not saying Sky is clean, but people freaking out over a 1000w spike is silly. It's like they've never used a power meter.

Seems the HR is getting more attention from when the effort came in context of the Tour than the power spike itself.

Well if 168 is his true max than 161 would be 96% of max.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 14, 2015

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

he1ixx posted:

Good post. I also considered that is HR/power telemetry tech from 2003 so who knows how good that was. If I get spikes and lags with my HR monitor in 2015 with brand new tech, I can imagine it was much less accurate over short bursts back then. I don't know what any of this means but it is funny to watch how much people hate Froome in here. I definitely don't get cycling threads.

It's from the last time he won the Tour.... Regardless of him being a doper or not what about his racing is fun to watch to you? Ultimately you want to be entertained and he's just boring to watch. This one data point doesn't crucify him, it's just odd. If there was transparency with the sports data it would be much easier to see how much of an outlier it is in perspective.

serious gaylord posted:

This is the year he gets done isnt it?

They should probably grab Contadors data too, that would be an interesting comparison.

Look at the science of sports stuff on their website. Thy have some posts up from when Contador had that crazy climb in 2009.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dude what do you think has happened in 24 months in HR tech? It's not like this was recorded in the 1980s. There are issues with HR tech getting accurate readings at times but it's not like 2013 is the dark ages.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Tejay doesn't have a resume anywhere near the other guys that get talked about most. Not sure he has ever won anything of note in Europe before.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kim jong-illin posted:

I appreciate the link but anything in text? I'm deaf - can't follow most YouTube videos.

These articles of his might be helpful to read through: http://cyclingtips.com.au/cycling-tips/ It doesn't cover everything, but should give you an idea of the types of things racers are thinking about.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Article in the NYTimes about a new drug on the market that affects red blood cell counts and how it can increase EPO in the body. Says someone has been caught using it in cycling even though it's only in the research phase right now of production.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/30/s...earch.html?_r=0

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Here's the link if anyone wants it http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/08/the-secret-pro-post-tour-crits-worlds-and-the-farce-that-is-the-iaaf/

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Smirr posted:

Is there any good footage of the actual crash? Because I have a hunch that him blaming Ewan for the crash has as much merit as that time during this year's Tour when he blamed Froome for crashing into him.

Only footage I saw yesterday was from a helicopter and you couldn't really tell what happened. Just saw everyone start to fall like dominoes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Some views of Spain are very scenic. Others not so much. I get a kick out of the Universal Sports guys ripping on the camera feeds from time to time. You'd think if some Spanish tourism board is controlling the feed they would want to cut down on the "here's some miles of brown fields" views.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Are we going to use the same thread for another season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pocket posted:

Will it change anything?

No :smith: