Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

XyloJW posted:

Professor Jared Diamond traced old-man-pants syndrome back to the advent of agriculture and notes that the native tribes of PNG don't suffer from pants at all.

Professor Steven Levitt has linked old-man-pants syndrome and the rate of abortions in China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

You've gone too far this time, Obama. Impeach!

quote:

In recognition of their brave service, U.S. troops will be invited to a special 4th of July concert on the White House's South lawn featuring Mr. Worldwide himself.

Said Pitbull of the momentous occasion: "This is the American Dream." You bet it is, buddy!

He continued: "Thank you to all for making this happen — our troops, the USO and the Obama family — I deeply and truly appreciate it."

Past "Salute to the Military" concert performers include fun and Brad Paisley, fun., and Train. Good stuff all around — must really make our troops feel appreciated.

http://gawker.com/u-s-troops-to-be-punished-with-pitbull-concert-on-whit-1599784972

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I assume someone in Bumblefuck Mississippi is already shooting his Pitbull cassette tapes with a shotgun and filming it for Youtube.

He should be doing that anyway if he has any sense.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Karl Rove is saying Brazil still have a chance at the final

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

razorrozar posted:

I like stuff like The Lonely Island or Weird Al, or any parody/humor rap, but regular rap can take a long walk off a short pier.

woosh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

this might not be exactly what youre looking for, but have you considered auditing the fed

What was the original book in this joke?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I lapse into a very rural Texan accent when I'm back home in rural Texas, so I supersize with your wife.

hmm

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Shave it. It's not just for black guys anymore.

or have luxurious natural hair

scrubs

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I only recognize yell leading.

you motherfucker

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

true store TLC shot a reality show about texas cheer moms (I think that was the title) in my high school

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

speaking of complaining about government regulations, what's John Stossel been up to lately?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ufarn posted:

The Warszawa should make it a part of his trip to follow 538's burrito-bracket recommendation, given that the Bay Area apparently reigns supreme in this department.

why did 538 decide to just exclusively do dumb gimmicky bullshit?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Because it's wildly popular on the internet.

if I want a Definitive Ranking of Burritos I have Buzzfeed or Gawker, tyvm

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Hey guys, why do businesses in our capitalist society pander to the greatest groups of people that will net them the most money instead of esoteric and fringe populations that i belong to??

go take a selfie about it

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

today i went to a bagel shop and had a bagel and it was very underwhelming.

anti-semite

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pong Daddy posted:

Why is there so much pizza chat in the crazy email thread? Whole bunch of wrong opinions not acknowledging the greatness of Chicago or Anchovies+Jalapenos on pizza.

what the gently caress is this

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phOGLdhg-Ps

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Is this old news to you all?

The news about the newest Lois Lerner e-mails is coming out and in it she is lamenting right wing whackos and assholes and crazies (her words) taking "us" down. From the context she is clearly implying "Republicans."

The demon IRS bitch who hates Tea Baggers is... a Republican. Was this common knowledge? Can she be hoisted on her petard as an establishment Republican now? Can we agree that this means she would probably not be inclined to act on the orders of some Democrat in the WH?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/07/30/new_irs_bombshell_lois_lerner_bemoaned_right_wing_crazies.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/irs-lois-lerner-email-crazies-109544.html

Does we/us not mean the IRS, or her group of officials or whatever?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is it worse to like music written up in pitchfork or to like black metal?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

In & Out is superior to Five Guys.

Are you from California?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I have never known greater pleasure than biting into a greasy bacon-double-cheese-whataburger at 2:30AM while almost too drunk to walk

It probably doesn't have enough avocados for his Californian tastes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

My standing assumption was that he's positioning himself for Schumer's seat when it opens up, but I guess he might go for a Congressional seat.

Also, are there any Portuguese speakers in the thread who can comment on Duolingo's Portuguese set? I feel like I'm learning stuff but I'm wary that it might be a crock of poo poo.

At some point in some thread, you replied to me with a YouTube link that I glanced at the title of and didn't watch because I was phone posting, but it got saved in my reading list and I just spotted it today. Turns out it was Kurgan in Highlander talking about burning out and fading away. Man, threads take weird turns.

Falo eu. What kind of questions do you have? I haven't looked at it. Also make sure it's using você and not tu, European Portuguese is for nerds.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Yeah it's Brazilian Portuguese so that's good. I guess my question would have been more along the lines of "is this blatantly wrong and I'm just too ignorant to know it." The Spanish one is pretty good, I use it because I don't get to speak Spanish much in my day to day life anymore and I would like to practice some.

I just did the testing out thing and it looks okay to me, although obviously the spoken parts are pretty bad. But that's just a consequence of it being a robot, I guess. PM me if you have any questions, gosto muito de ensinar!

edit: actually I did notice one thing that's not necessarily wrong, but kind of bothers me. They tend to leave off the definite article when using possessives (the robot said "Eu como com minha tia" instead of "Eu como com a minha tia"), but I'm more used to the other way around. Not a big deal though.

edit edit: and this one is a big deal: they always seem to use "nós" (we) and the -amos/-emos form rather than "a gente" and the third-person form ("Nós ficamos" vs. "A gente fica"). "Nós" is much more formal, so look out for that.

a further edit: affirmative responses to questions are usually phrased as "[conj. verb], sim." For instance, "Você tem um bebê?" "Tenho, sim." The website seems to just do "Sim, tenho um bebê."

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 5, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Thanks! With the exception of nós/a gente, this seems in line with variations in Spanish grammar that I'm used to, so that'll make it easier to learn or harder to distinguish. Here's hoping more of the former!

Boa sorte! I spoke Spanish before I spoke Portuguese, so I know how you feel. I was able to keep them pretty separate in my head, but there's a few vocab things that always get me. Also a few things from Portuguese I wish happened in Spanish.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Thanks Randler

Humorless Germans

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vignette from tubing on the Comal River yesterday: the police asked some people to turn down their stereo which was blaring bro-country, the whole river boos, and several people shout "THIS IS AMERICA"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Was it the Comal that San Marcos tried to ban drinking while tubing on, and a court was like "hell naw".

The very same, although we got in in New Braunfels.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

[citation needed]

At least if a judge is dumb that can be used to remove them or have them improve. If a jury is dumb, welp, it's done, never going to see those folks again!

Unless that judge was elected by constituents who wanted him to do those dumb things.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

That's a nice court. Good luck!

E: bring something to read though, cell phone service in the waiting area can be spotty.

bring a copy of 12 Angry Men and see if they still let you in

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn't chive some sort of misogyny thing?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why did they not call it Nazi Göring?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Best Presidentially named campus building is the LBJ Library because it's an actual working library and endowment and not a shrine.

It also has a pretty good public policy school (which I am going to)

But I've heard people in the state government don't trust any research that comes out of it because it's got LBJ's name on it, they only read stuff from the Bush school :texas:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

I know so many people with MPAs and MPPs from LBJ it's ridiculous.

We've had alumni coming in for orientation, it seems like there's at least one in every state office and a lot in Austin city government.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Just imagine if Nixon had become a musician following the trends of our current era:

How was Wisconsin spared from The Whiteness?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

i generally like nicki minaj and i don't get that when i'm browsing imgur in search for funny pictures of cats, i see all these posts that are super down about her. like saying she's not good, she makes bad music, she looks like miss piggy or something. i guess it's because the site is full of teens, but it's still pretty annoying.

or like the bieber hate. i mean, i don't listen to his music and i guess that prevents me from becoming super angry about him, but i guess i just don't care enough to waste thousands of words on him and make stupid fw: fw: fw: pictures where he gets hosed by 2pac or something?

actually i do get all that it's probably something to do with forming in-groups and reinforcing bonds by finding something to hate as a group and other wild sociology poo poo like that. i guess it's better than hating the blacks.

It's because people on imgur like to feel superior to "normal" people who enjoy regular pop culture

See also: that guy who tweeted the ironic thing about Neil DeGrasse Tyson on the train

Full disclosure: I think Birthday by Katy Perry is a really fun song

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

the guy who tweeted about neil degrasse tyson on the train was funny, it was the people who responded to him that were risible.

unless that is what you were saying and i have misunderstood. in which case, carry on.

That is indeed what I was saying. That whole story really bums me out

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

do they even make Corolla hatchbacks?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Just shave the rest of it then, what the gently caress

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Do people hate hatchbacks as much as I do?

Excuse you sir, I own a VW hatchback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

it was an old te-72 like this

now quaff my ball sweat

rscott posted:

proof positive that hipsterism is a bourgeoisie lifestyle, up against the wall with you

Discendo Vox posted:

I think that post could be a valid reply to any and all SedanChair posts.

• Locked thread