Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

It's not airborne, so just don't drink contaminated water, eat contaminated food, or share bodily fluids with someone who's infected and you should be fine?

Or get bitten by a monkey, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

e: I'm dumb.

ReindeerF posted:

Outbreak, the movie, was pretty hilariously awful.

What was the deal with that movie? I never got around to seeing it. Was Dustin Hoffman just unconvincing as an action star?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, he's a rangy director, even in the space of one movie. Look at "Troy" - lots to like in that movie, but a lot to hate too. (seriously, who tells the story of "The Iliad" and decides to remove the Greek gods from it?)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nutranurse posted:

lol, what?

The movie "Troy" basically tried to tell the story of "The Iliad," but the only supernatural thing in it, besides Achilles (Brad Pitt, who was good) being a badass, was his mom popping out of nowhere to tell him he was going to die at Troy. Otherwise, David Benioff, the screenwriter (of Game of Thrones fame), decided he was going to make it realistic, maaaaan. And it sucked.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

I love Peter O'Toole and Brendan Gleeson and they made that movie for me, but it was awful. As was O'Toole's "Paris has loved many women and many women have loved Paris but..." speech in his late, great Hepburn accent.

Definitely, and that's what makes me sad about that movie: most of the performances were good. Orlando Bloom was weak, quelle surprise, but everyone else did good stuff with what they were given. But starting from the premise of taking a Greek epic poem set in the Age of Heroes, and then taking out all the gods and magic and monsters and other fun stuff? Honestly, how could anybody have thought that was a good idea?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

mccaine. he writes articles about Very Serious Things now.

I actually kind of wish he still posted, because I feel bad about some of the things I said to him a few years ago and I would like to apologize to him.:smith:

Pope Guilty posted:

The whole thread is great, but Ingwit just kills it over and over.

That is a loving revelation. My favorite audiobook of The Iliad is the one Derek Jacobi does; we need to get him to read this one for us too.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

And then there's the grover post re: the Iraq War...

I showed up maybe a few months after that, so I don't think I ever caught it. Anybody have a link?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oooh, this must be it:

quote:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

e: I have to say, this post is a relief. Here I thought the occupation had brought about tens of thousands of innocent civilian deaths. But now I know most of them were evildoers. Phew.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 29, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

illrepute posted:

Yep, that's it, Staev.

That name only brings me shame, for the shitposting I have done.:smith:

comes along bort posted:

Angels in America?

Boom.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

To be fair, he did undershoot how long we would be occupying the place.:haw:

nutranurse posted:

That's absolutely the most ridiculous decision you could make when doing a movie about Troy. It's like, wtf man, the Gods dicking around was the only way they could break up all the monotonous human stuff.

Yeah, I mean, I get that it would be challenging to depict it literally without it looking stupid, but there are ways of showing the gods interfering with the battle without badly CGI-ing them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Swan Oat posted:

the iraq war was good and didn't contribute to increasing terrorism

Also you can't prove that those more than 100,000 Iraqi civilians who died weren't all secretly working for the Iraqi military.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

I actually feel sort of bad for Colin Powell. Is that at least legit, or has he just been cast in an undeserved martyr role?

I think it's valid to feel bad for him - not vindicate him for "just following orders" by any means, but certainly feel bad for him. There's a lot of evidence that he fought against some of the Bush Administration's dumbest decisions behind the scenes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Powell's original rise to stardom came as the rear end-kisser they sent to Vietnam to whitewash My Lai. Never feel sorry for that man, his whole career has been as an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to lie about the charges on a bill.

I honestly did not know about this, or must have forgotten somehow. It makes me really sad to hear about this, but boy, he really did whitewash that whole atrocity, didn't he?

quote:

:lol:

Yeah, I know, I deserve it. I was a colossal shithead back in the day.:smith:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

I was and remain one. I turn 40 this year and life has taught me one thing: every day you look back at something and go :ughh:

Anyway, most of us do something hosed up at some point and we regret it and maybe try not to do it again, but Powell's resume is essentially the guy they hire to do hosed up poo poo because he's good at it and smiles through it. Sort of like Rumsfeld.

Yeah, well, with Powell it's at least a little more understandable, given that he's a career military guy. He at least has the excuse of being indoctrinated into a mindset that follows orders without questioning them. Rummy's a special case, though - he's just a walking cluster of personality defects. A real piece of poo poo through and through.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well the website will, at least.

They'll inevitably hire Justine Tunney to run the twitter, just watch.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

It's fine if you are an old man in some small town who is carrying on the tradition of hand making some thing or confection and you've been doing it for 60 years like your father and his father before him. It is not cool when it is a 19 year old piece of poo poo whining about how nothing is authentic anymore and we just need to get back to the old ways and your way to do this is to make gumcutting hunks of inedible hard candy at 100x the effort and cost of modern means.

Remember how there was a D&D thread not too long ago where people were positing that there are no such things as hipsters, and they're just a creation of the media? Good tiiiiiimes...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mooyashi posted:

For the love of god someone start talking about BBQ

Does anybody know any good bbq in the Santa Barbara area? I've been living here for a year and I don't know where to go.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

Californians can hang.

deez nutz

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

There is no good BBQ in California because there is no good anything in California.

Watch it or we'll let Michael Bay make another "Transformers" movie.

Also our wine is the best, so gently caress you motherfucker.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

not gonna lie i was a bit sore about how lovely that thread ended up being

Yeah, join the club. I think it probably didn't have enough material to go on for more than a couple pages anyway though.

e: Your OP was good, though, don't take that the wrong way.:)

Majorian fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 29, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

I only interact with D&D through the user control panel so if it ain't this thread, USPol, Political Cartoons, or TexPol threads I ain't seein' it.

Here you go.

Dreylad posted:

i think sometimes people confuse hipsters for people who are enthusiastic about a craft or something

Yeah, I like Chris Hardwick's delineation between nerds and hipsters: nerds are people who obsess over unpopular things because they actually like them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

My grandparents ate a lot of depression food like liverwurst and pimento cheese because they grew up eating that crap and thinking it was good because that's all they had.

John Hodgman had an interesting spiel about this in an interview I heard him in once, about how much American dietary habits changed in the post-war period. Suddenly, the cuts of meat that had been previously reserved for the rich became much more mainstream, because every man was a king in his prefab castle. Eating viscera, on the other hand, was completely abandoned by the middle class. (and rightfully so, because loving ew)

pangstrom posted:

I am NOT on the same page with ReindeerF in that I like California Mexican food more than Tex-Mex.

A-loving-men, brother.

zoux posted:

Yes but you are used to a diet of salt pork and hardtack so maybe I don't trust your palate.

The poor man's going to inevitably die of scurvy, zoux; don't twist the knife.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

Viscera/offal is really good though.

Sweetbreads, man, sweetbreads.

BrandorKP posted:

Sweetbreads, livers, and kidneys are fantastic. They just need to be fresh and prepared properly. There's a pie shop down the road where I can get kidney pie with golf ball sized pieces of kidney. I might have to eat that for dinner.

Yes, animals' filtration organs sound extremely appetizing, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to remain a Philistine on this one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

zoux posted:

I like my oysters raw.

California has the best oysters too. Hogg Island owns.

Geokinesis posted:

ahhahahaha

Whatchu laughing at chump? Judgment of Paris motherfucker!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

I've never actually been to California but I really want to go. Not sure whether to go to L.A. or the Bay Area.

Yup, Bay Area, like everyone said. My homeland, and God's own country.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

I saw that! Motherfucker's dedicating them all back.

I forgive him for Sussudio.

You're a better man than I am; it would take a lot to make me forgive that song. Or "Against All Odds."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RIP Pete Seeger.:911: (yes, I know Obama's there, shut up)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't know whether or not you should go to the Bay Area, but I do know you should not go to L.A.

L.A.'s pretty great if you know where to visit, but it can be pretty awful.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

Both the Bay area and LA are worth visiting. San Simeon, Big Sur, and Monterey deserve a visit too.

Never go to the Inland Empire.

Yes on all counts. I'm getting married in a week and a half and we're doing part one of a honeymoon in Monterey.:3:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Of all the things I did when I was last in L.A./Orange County, leaving was the most enjoyable.

Gee, I wonder why you didn't have fun.

What did you do while in L.A. itself?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

There are better things to do in L.A. than that. Not Orange County though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Here's a multinational thing you'll come to grips with as you spend time overseas. Island nation cuisines suck. For obvious reasons.

Kahlua pig is the bee's knees. Everything else Hawaiian is awful though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

Yah, Norwegian food is almost uniformly awful. Not whale, though. Whale is fantastic.

e. Also, you will take my fish in various states of decomposition from my cold, dead hands!

I think the point is that he would rather not take it at all, thank you very much.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

The Warszawa should make it a part of his trip to follow 538's burrito-bracket recommendation, given that the Bay Area apparently reigns supreme in this department.

I left my favorite hat at El Farolito and never got it back.:(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cafel posted:

If you include pit stuff in your definition of bbq then there should be plenty of decent Santa Maria style tri tip places around you.

Yeah, I've been meaning to hit Rancho Nipomo sometime. If anyone knows something closer to SB itself, though, that would be rad. (if not no worries)

zoux posted:

Did you know that the average human only uses about 10% of their brain.

I think I've heard Morgan Freeman say that in a commercial somewhere.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I always wondered why I could never remember all the best Shrek quotes

Ironically, memorizing those is how you activate the other 90% of your brain, but it can only be used to remember Shrek quotes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tentative8e8op posted:

:( take that back. I know you'd agree saimin is super delicious, if you'd try some. :)

You're right, I forgot about saimin - that is good. I'm not a fan of macaroni salad or spam, though, so that kind of rules out 80% of Hawaiian food.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

If you're going to California, spend at least a week in Victorville. It's worth visiting and is full of culture and fun activities.

Very funny.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dreylad posted:

isn't like, every country on an island, if you think about it??

No, actually! Many are on continents, which are considerably larger than islands!:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

come to LA and visit the getty villa. it is completely dope and i recommend it wholeheartedly.

This. LACMA is pretty cool too.

• Locked thread