Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

In this post-Yingluck world who is the hottest current head of state/head of government?

My vote is for Pena Nieto for a little Latin flavor.

do Monarchs count? The royal couple of Bhutan are notorious for being a pair of total babes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

if y'all could go back in time and fight in one war with the rule that it can't be a war in which your country (of primary identification, i guess) was a major participant which one would it be

does it have to be a declared war or can people pick, say, the Anglo-Zanzibar war or the Granada intervention

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

- fight in the War of the Triple Alliance, on the Paraguayan side.

- get captured

- get repatriated

quote:

"The worst reports are that up to 90% of the male population was killed..."

"...leaving a woman/man ratio of 4 to 1 (as high as 20 to 1, in the most devastated areas)"

- carry out Solemn Duty to your people

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 28, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

is the entirety of the upper midwest Chicagoland now

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

paragon1 posted:

The problem is that all the seats are reptoid seats. Warm-bloods are completely shut out of all the high level power plays and secret programs.

the real problem with Blagojevich was that he should have held on to that Senate seat until the Vril-ya Executive Choir had finished their nominating process rather than handing it to the first Hydaspan consortium to come along and demand it

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 29, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

R. Mute posted:

so it'll be a slightly less overwhelming repeat of 2008, but with equally insane primaries. that's nice to know.

More moderates this time, though. 2012 had Mitt and a dozen wackjobs. 2016 is gonna have probably half and half wackjobs and Serious People.

Whether this is good or bad for their chances is debateable. More moderates (and boy does it feel weird to call people like Jeb the moderate options) might mean a better shot for the Republicans to get a halfway decent candidate, but if they split the moderate vote long enough, it could also allow their electorally-untenable wackjobs to stay in the race longer.

R. Mute posted:

same thing for latino voters and how they'll treat marco rubio in the primaries

e: excuse me, i guess ted cruz is The Latino Republican atm

difference between rubio and cruz is that Rubio had decent support among cuban-americans and had some chance of extending this to other latinos with his softening on immigration.

whereas latinos hate Ted Cruz and will always hate Ted Cruz because he is terrible.

Also Rubio is handsome whereas Cruz has the world's worst face.

Rubio was the latino presidential candidate the GoP needed, but (fortunately) not the latino presidential candidate they deserve.

His presidential hopes might be more-or-less nixed for now, but he'd probably make a fine Veep pick for some fat old white nominee.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

R. Mute posted:

you gotta consider that obama's presidency pushed racial issues even further to the foreground than in the years before. the minority vote turnout may not be as great as in 2008-2012, but i reckon it'll be close enough.

isn't there a non-white vp she can go for? or does she need an Old White Man like obama did to make her acceptable?

Many are hoping for Julian Castro, former (extremely popular and successful) San Antonio Mayor and current HUD secretary. He's cool and charismatic, but she might want somebody with more clout.

Deval Patrick is another possibility.

She might end up needing a white guy, but she probably shouldn't pick a particularly old one given her own age. Warner or Tim Kaine could be good compromise picks, being bland, experienced and not ancient.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

At this point it's mainly a difference of tone and "respectability".

pretty much yeah.

Serious People Republicans -> Republicans who won't cackle maniacally as they shovel poor/colored people into the coal furnace.

Also somebody with enough political credentials and vetting that we can be confident they won't freak out and bomb Andorra for impounding some American tourist's car, or appoint Joel Osteen as secretary of the Interior.

Joementum posted:

To be honest, I'm still kind of amazed that we have a President named "Barack Hussein Obama".

I'll admit that I was in the "man, no way enough people will vote for a black dude with a funny foreign name" camp until exit polling data started coming out.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

To be clear, I think Hillary wins in 2016, but if the minority vote turnout is close to what it was in any election except 2008 or 2012, she loses.

Hillary is going to get significantly more white votes than Obama. I'm not one of the optimists that sees her making as much headway in the Republican safe-zones as Bill did, but it should be by a few per cent. A several-point swing.

Specifically, she is going to take back impoverished coal fields and rust belt towns that voted lockstep Democratic for decades (even throughout the civil rights realignment) but balked at electing a black President.

She needs ~decent~ minority turnout, but I wouldn't say she needs the historic numbers Obama got.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 31, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'm glad somebody is willing to step forward and tell the truth about KFC.

Thank you, aunt Fee

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

American goons, did they ever get into the labor strife we've had in this country in your high school history classes? I took AP classes and poo poo, and no one ever talked about the Battle of Blair Mountain or any of the labor movement really. Just a big label of "There be labor trouble here," slapped over the entire period.

Rural Kentucky School District made sure we knew all about the various forms of Yankee Oppression that have been visited upon our verdant Appalachian homeland, yes.

Glossed over the era when the urban labor movement got real traction and was used to mobilize political/social will for real progress, of course. The framework we got was more that the exploitative practices of the gilded age and the early 20th were a continuation of bad Reconstruction policies. Which is partly accurate but ignores the nationwide scope of the issue.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 3, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

I've yet to hear an American follow it up with comments that the locals "would still be swinging from the trees"...

I live in a county were they re-enact the "Battle of Ebenezer Creek". Where Sons of the Confederacy dress up as rebels and pretend to chase off Union soldiers ( in some years they are in black face) who have come to rape their women. The actual historical event is the Betrayal / Massacre of Ebenezer creek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Creek

I run into S. Africans more racist than that.

I live in a county as bad as that which also has a bunch of rhodesians in, and can confirm that rhodesians are worse than either white southroners or white South Africans

gently caress rhodesians your country isn't even real

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, they're Sci Fi authors, for one... Also Vonnegut wasn't a monster at all, wasn't he?

Vonnegut was a sad, neurotic angel

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why does Big Sky Country hate gotes

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

euphronius posted:

Why are there so many goats in texas

some messican cuisines have gote in em.

Thass who we sell em to around here, them and bosnians. Fair amount of eastern europeans in Texas too.

plus gotes are hardy and can graze on bad Texas scrubland pretty good. This is why I would of expected there to be more gotes up in Wyoming and Montany and the box states.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 12, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Warcabbit posted:

Goats are evil. And I'm not just saying it cause the one on grandpa's farm used to bite me.

when I was a babby our ole billy goat headbutted me into the creek.

It is because my parents ate several of his offspring.

first time I was ever hit in the gut

can you eat a llama

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

if you believe in yourself, you can do eat anything

untrue: it is impossible to eat stellar phenomenae and also most mustelids, on account of pungency

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

im gonna eat a nebula now just to loving destroy your faith in rationality, fucker

maybe, I'm just sayin you caint eat a otter.

Beaver tail is real good though.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

a guy you can get dunked on by

I dunno about that but he has a p. sweet finger roll

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

idk the one in town here isn't very good

ey but did you try anything with the cajun seasoning

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

site posted:

Got the number of a Republican Israeli-American tonight. How much self-loathing should I be feeling as a progressive?

need the deets, man

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

The Warszawa posted:

who're y'all's favorite famous people you've met

last night I went to Lexington to hear RFK Jr. talk about the environment. Shook hands and talked at him a little bit afterwards.

I dunno if third-tier Kennedys count as famous

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

DEAR FOREIGNERS: Domhnall Gleeson's name is pronounced Doh-nil. You get one warning.

dbopple, got it.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

this conversation was resolved thousands of years ago

scipio africanus: who was the best general of all time?

hannibal: me lol

scipio: no respect no respect at all

hannibal himself had a huge nerdboner for pyrrhus for some reason.

I have never understood Pyrrhus's sterling reputation considering his whole career was just carpetbagging around the med, starting and then narrowly losing wars with whoever he could find

epeirots: the Buffalo Bills of the ancient world

Disinterested posted:

Monticello is ugly as gently caress.

UVA is pretty as hell though. Too bad it is inhabited by UVA

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 16, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

zoux posted:

I thought NB Forrest was held to be a top calvary mans.

Forrest and J.E.B. were both fucks. Forrest was a competent gently caress.

I'm a fan of John Buford. I like to imagine foppish southern cavalrymen popping their monacles at the vulgarity of using dragoons

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 16, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

With the sinking of the General Belgrano, the nation of argentina lost its brand name appeal

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

don't the republicans also have bruce willis and probably peyton manning

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

just cut off all yalls hair, goons

Together we will jettison our evolutionary baggage!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do more squats nerd

I had that problem too, and I used to squat an assload of weight in high-school/college

need more glute-specific stuff

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

damnit abdullah, stealing wendell ford's thunder

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

do 90-year-old statesmen follow the Rule of Three

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

soon we will take back Lincoln also

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

Kentucky is one of the worst states in America.

What do you produce besides toffs in cheqersuit knittings and horrid rates of poverty? Nothing. You produce nothing. Your state is not essential for the Union. You're nothing; you've produced no Presidents.

All you have going for you is that one avant-garde music fest in March.

Booze, smokes, coal and Toyotas, baby.

Also fish fries at Fancy Farm picnic.

Happy Chandler was a much better governor than Adlai or Stratton

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 24, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I hope Chris Kyle continues to be a rhetorical touchstone into campaigning season

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Von Sloneker posted:

How do people enjoy this poo poo. At least with someone like Cruz I can admire the speech writing, the coherence, the effort to make a message understandable -- even if I disagree with and am regularly horrified by the poo poo contained therein.

This, this is just broken fragments of half-formed thoughts, often unrelated to anything else being said, delivered in a manner that actually makes me nervous because of how off the loving rails it sounds.

souns like some big city egghead tauk to me

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

"We believe what Ronald Reagan believed. We are a people... who have a government!"

TREASON

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

euphronius posted:

I want to leave the us.

more appropriate response: move to Vermont

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rodatose posted:

David foster wallace is a bad writer

good dog owner though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I have never understood why the people who most vocally support our troops are the most eager for our troops to have their intestines blown all over the streets of Yazd by IEDs

• Locked thread