Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Since Tricky Dick has come up with some frequency in the USPol thread, and since you mention the good doctor, why not go whole hog with Thompson's eulogy to the man?

quote:

If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

It's a shame that Thompson became a caricature of himself in his later writing Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail: 1972 is still the best campaign memoir ever written and you wish that he still had that energy for Better Than Sex, his book about the 1992 campaign, but it's mostly scans of faxes that he sent to Clinton staffers while drunk.

Agreed. Not that Better than Sex wasn't a fun read, mind, just not nearly on the same level. Also, I've often wondered what we might have heard from him if he'd lived long enough to see the 2008 campaign.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ufarn posted:

PSA to pre-order Perlstein's upcoming Reagan book, if you like hating politicians with the fiery passion of the thousand suns.

Because Christ, so far into my reading of Nixonland, Nixon is repeatedly eclipsed by Governor Reagan's horribleness.

Also, don't order from Amazon, because they're subhuman mongrels.

There was a lot of interplay between the Nixon White House and Reagan at the time, with considerable back and forth between Washington and Sacramento during the early 70s. I seem to recall seeing a note from Nixon to Kissinger or Haldeman telling them to send Reagan a copy of Irving Kristol's then-new book on how to "reform" higher education, and of course there's that letter I posted recently where Reagan jokingly threatens to self-immolate if Kissinger won't approve defense contacts in CA.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

baw posted:

i'm reading nixonland and i'm getting the goldwater one soon. i also notice that he has a new one about the line to reagan coming out in august and i'm super excited even tho i'll wait for the paperback

ah i see it's been mentioned on the last page. what's a good reagan book to tide me over until the perlstein one?

Have you read The Reagan Rhetoric: History and Memory in 1980s America? It's a good read on how Reagan used language and communication to so effectively win people over, and to what degree he believed his own bullshit. Also, the cover art alone makes it worth the price:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Amused to Death posted:

Has there ever been any kind of study on why old people wear their pants so high?

There is a disease that old men in particular get, that causes them to be slowly consumed by their own pants.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

XyloJW posted:

Professor Jared Diamond traced old-man-pants syndrome back to the advent of agriculture and notes that the native tribes of PNG don't suffer from pants at all.

Have we at last found the reason why the donkey's pants are like that, an auto-immune response?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sergg posted:

It's amazing the amount of emotional capital people sink into into the Israeli/Palestinian conflict considering how low-intensity it is compared to all the other conflicts going on all around it.

What it lacked in intensity (right now), compared to the ongoing Syrian/Iraqi strife at least, it makes up for in unending length. I mean seriously, it's a conflict older than almost every person on this board (probably), and has flared pretty hot at times. That's something people get invested in.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Sergg posted:

Wikipedia says: 21,500 casualties (1965–2013)[2]

Which doesn't add up to even a single year of the Syrian Civil War.

Well poo poo, better stop giving a gently caress about it then. How silly of me, thinking anything other than raw body count denoted something of importance.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chantilly Say posted:

Dan Ackroyd isn't that funny anymore either. Remember his rant in Blues Brothers 2000--it's okay if you don't--where he goes off for a few minutes about how kids these days all listen to rap and hip-hop and that's not real music?

Ackroyd kinda lost it when he decided that Ghostbusters was a documentary, and has gone down hill ever since.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Who What Now posted:

Freepers themselves are not funny. Jokes at the expense of Freepers are. But it's certainly an acquired humor, and not really one you should want to acquire. :smith:

We laugh, because the alternative is uncontrollable sobbing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TheImmigrant posted:

I don't see much humor in gathering a bunch of like-minded people to mock someone unpopular, as abhorrent as that person is. Seems pathetic and lemminglike.

You clearly are unfamiliar with the personality cult of dalereed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TheImmigrant posted:

I assume he's a slow-moving right-wing target.

Whatever else the dalereed is, he is not slow-moving despite his advanced age, what with his hotrods and whatnot.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Christ, even by his normal standards Arpaio looks pissed. Maybe someone said the word "Mexico" a few seconds prior to that photo being taken.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

illrepute posted:

you're cool :)

the internet has ruined our ability to appreciate contextless communication. we always look for double-meaning and innuendos in everything and that's sad

Well how do you know for sure it wasn't actually an exercise in absurdist posting designed to show the meaninglessness of all communication, huh?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ChaosSamusX posted:

Do you honestly think Arpaio ever smiles? The only time I know that he's shown elation at anything is when he smugly said he had a concentration camp (this literally, actually happened).

That, and whenever he gets to lord over his inmate-slaves in some new fashion. I'd be willing to bet that ranks a grin at least.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

tbp posted:

Haha I didn't even know that was a thing. Unfortunately in real life I don't think I'd be terribly good at it I'm nice to a fault

Trust me when I say that you'd be a natural.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

OK, but enough meta poo poo, let's spend a minute reflecting on how awesome Abe Lincoln's slippers were.

You really are digging those slippers, dude.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

kelvron posted:

Clone High's cancellation was a loss to the world.

Couldn't agree with you more,

Wesleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Quick name one thing about Belgium.

Saviors of Conogolese education?....:newt:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

XyloJW posted:

There's still a major suburb called Batman. Here's the best part: the current rep for Batman is the SHADOW MINISTER OF JUSTICE.

OK seriously, now I'm hearing the Batman: TAS opening theme.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

kelvron posted:

You don't always hear it?

Surprisingly, no!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Of course, Ted Cruz decided that he had to out-do his colleagues with the fake(?) jingoism. He's really overcompensating for that time he was a Canadian, which was his entire life until last month.

Also, it wasn't just Freedom Fries. There was Victory Cabbage too! :hist101:

And Liberty Sausage!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

Wrong, it's actually 24/7. Nice try officer.

While we are commanded to smoke weed every day, we aren't necessarily told to smoke weed all day.

XyloJW posted:

How can a train be quiet? Shouldn't it be perpetually blaring its horn and squealing its poorly lubricated wheels along the rusted tracks?

Not if it's a stealth train! :tinfoil:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Tokamak posted:

There's not much to it, its just one of those things that people have an irrational fear of. Its likely stems from level of education, the quality of information the person has access to, and how the issue is communicated to the person.

Fluoride is mildly toxic, similar to medicines such as paracetamol. People get the idea that because its dangerous in large amounts, it must be bad in small amounts. It does more good then bad, but people do get side effects from time to time (much like paracetamol).

http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/healthonlifesjourney/2014/07/6-alarming-facts-you-dont-know-about-fluoridated-water.html gives you an idea of the sort of problems people have with fluoride.

It's also in the toothpaste :ssh:

And ice cream! Children's ice cream, Mandrake!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

razorrozar posted:

Was his hair that gray when he was elected?

He used to dye it, but ceased doing so upon being elected unless my memory is having me off.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The Monkey Man posted:

There are four seasons: Almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction.

This is a valid interpretation, but I was raised with the six VT seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, More Winter, Mud.

Weather related: when it's warm, the black flies and mosquitoes tend to be out. A lot.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

StandardVC10 posted:

You'll move to Southern California and wonder where all the seasons went.

Was out in Orange County last month and it fuckin' sucked. If I never have to go back it'll be too soon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

tbp posted:

They were too.. idk the word for it just weak and weird

"Your posts"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

I don't think anyone said anything about pure evil. Just whether they're more evil than not. And I think it's a pretty good debate to have, if only because most people seem to think that the problem with the Catholic Church is a few bad apples, when, in fact, there's a healthy amount of evidence that the issue is a bad tree.

Also, I don't think taking an anti-religion stance is particularly "edgy" given the audience.

Not that I disagree with you, but the saying is "a few bad apples spoil the bunch," goddammit. It doesn't matter how few there are, if you don't get rid of them promptly they ruin the rest!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ufarn posted:

Shut the front door. Pineapple is a delight, and I will hear no statements to the contrary.

That's a pity, since your opinion, like Pineapple on pizza, is wrong and bad.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

XyloJW posted:

I'm going to add it to the rules thread that disparaging pineapple, on burgers or on pizza, is now bannable.

You've gone mad with power!

I like fruit, I like cheese, but I've never found all that many ways to make they go together well.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Cheese and apple is a classic flavor combination and I believe that it is against Vermont law to speak ill of it.

drat you for playing that trump card, Joe.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

homemade pizza supremacy

Word.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Got a homemade pizza in the oven right now, can't wait to eat it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

Wow, I thought having an Indian/Italian restaurant in my area was some sort of unique thing but I guess it isn't.

I can get pizza anywhere, but I can't get a giant bowl of take-out chicken vindaloo anywhere else. They do have a chicken curry pizza that I had once and was okay.

I lived for a few years in Somerville, MA and there was a Sikh-run joint just up the street from my place called "Guru the Caterer" which had the best Indian takeout I've ever had. Miss that place no end.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Randler posted:

Re: Old people music those youngsters don't know nothing about : Hypbrid Theory was released in 2000. There are adults who can vote, drive and drink who will not have listened to the corresponding genre during their teenagerhood.

I remember sneering at Linkin Park when they debuted as crappy pre-fabricated teen angst for mall punks that absolutely could not hold a candle to the alt/grunge rockers I'd listened to back in the 90s.

I was entirely right of course, but it does show I've aged a bit.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

I was 13 but I was also in christian school where I listened to DC Talk and thought that secular music lead to literal demon possession.

Who says it doesn't? :getin:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

zoux posted:

I didn't know what it was about, I just liked it. I used to sit on the floor in front of my stereo listening to the radio with my finger on the record button so I could tape the songs I liked. That's what the world looked like before the internet kiddies.

Somewhere I've still got one or two mix tapes I made more or less in that manner. I don't think I've got anything handy that could even play them at this point, and anyway would prefer to leave whatever questionable things I included on them lost to the fog of time.

Though to be honest, I still wonder how I never got any speeding tickets when I had NIN's The Perfect Drug and Offspring's Gone Away back to back on one of those tapes.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ReidRansom posted:

Isn't/wasn't Creed basically a christian band? I'm not saying they were good by any stretch, but they certainly did well outside the confines of the jesusrock ecosystem.

Back when he still was doing the Your Band Sucks collumn, Dr. Thorpe described them pretty accurately as a Christian-ish band, in that they're clearly writing songs about Christianity, but were rarely that explicit about it. Also Scott Stapp clearly had a pretty big messianic complex, and sucked hardcore, which are both regular components of Christian rock.

Joementum posted:

I spent much of the late 90's washing pots and dishes in a room with a radio I didn't control and I never want to hear these songs or Marcy's Playground or Semisonic or Bush ever again.

Smashmouth and the pop princesses of the period were the regulars at the gas station I worked at the summer of 99, where the radio got a pop station, a country station, and NPR very badly. It had a tape deck, which ate my copy of Back in Black.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 14, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

I have to be careful about critiquing bad 90's music because at the time I was really into prog.

I own Pink Floyd concert bootlegs on vinyl thanks to that time in my life, which is indefensible.

We're both leaving out what was truly horrible about music in the 90s, especially for Vermonters: the emergence and rise of Phish.

We could have crushed it when it was still small and vulnerable, but failed to. Such is our collective shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

Speaking of life before the internet, I enjoyed a brief period of popularity in the 8th grade because I had a dual deck tape player with high speed dubbing, so I became the middle school connection for gansta rap. I helped spread the love for Eazy-E, NWA, 2 Live Crew, Ice-T, and Too Short to a whole class of 13 year old white kids, one dub at a time. Take THAT Tipper Gore!

I had one of those...which I mostly used to make copies of history books-on-tape I'd gotten from the library. I am such a goddamn dork.

• Locked thread