Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Quick houserulling question for folks.

I was pondering stealing a couple of things from Dungeon World and 13th age, starting with making damage dice dependent on your class rather than your weapon (or in the case of multiclassed characters whichever class your last level was in to stop people taking a one level Fighter or Barbarian dip) and increasing the amount of damage dice you get to throw as you level - either one per tier, or one per two levels.

The other thing I've been thinking about is that one of the arguments against caster power level compared to the other classes is that spells just happen, whereas other classes generally have to roll for their abilities, so what about a skill roll for spell use? You wouldn't lose the spell/slot until it actually worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gort posted:

The wizard fails to cast fly a couple of times but is ultimately at the other side of the canyon in about a minute, pretty much the exact same as before your nerf.
This is true, it only really affects combat utility, same with other things like slowing down casting and so on. I didn't play a lot of 4E*, but what I remember from it is that the inante ability of casters was all combat related, and that anyone could pick up the feat to cast the non-combat spells. Since there's already a Ritual caster feat in 5E, how about increasing the number of spells that are availables as Rituals and/or making Ritual spells ritual only?

*It was a 7-8 person game and the adventure was Keep on the Shadowfell, so probably not the best introduction to the game.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 23, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

VacuumJockey posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone here who plays the new D&D and honestly and unironically enjoys it? Full disclosure: I do.

Well, I'm looking forwards to running it, and I like my character in a PbP I just started playing in?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jimbozig posted:

I like the idea of skill checks for spells but instead of failure being a null result, make it a hard choice:

The spell isn't coming out right. You can fix it by:
Putting more magic into it: Spend an extra slot
Putting some of yourself into it: spend 1/4 of your HP
Or you can let it come out wrong: the DM will roll on a table to see how the effect or target is changed. (I'm thinking of something like Burning wheel's spell failure here)

Yeah, that's an idea. I already use Dungeon World style failure states for most things these days.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Pondering about buffing up the fighters.

Champion - No real clue what to do with this poor sod; probably somethign like adding Exploits which raid the spell list for ideas of making them effective. Add social effects as well as physical ones?

Battlemaster - Superiority dice refresh in full every encounter, regardless of whether you rested or not, and refresh at one per round. Relentless needs to be changed - maybe let you dish your superiority dice out to characters who're attacking the same foe as you and allow them to use any of your maneuvers? Rally and Commander's Strike now affect a number of creatures equal to your Charisma mod + Proficiency bonus?

Needs something else, but not sure what. Ripping from Pathfinder, maybe banner effects like the Cavalier? Free feats?

Eldritch knight - Thinking about ripping from Pathfinder's Magus liberally, but for now -

War magic - becomes 3rd level, and you can take all your weapon attacks

7th level - You can imbue your weapon (or a single missle) with a spell. If your attack hits, the spell goes off. The target has disadvantage on the save, and if it's an AoE you have Advantage. The spell remains imbued until it activates, for a minute, or until you cast or imbue a second spell. Spells which don't normally get an attack roll are now able to Crit if you crit with the weapon blow.

Ray spells are a special case - imbued into a melee weapon all rays activate against the same target; imbued into a missile weapon you get a number of uses equal to the number of rays, and anything between you and the target must make a save or take half-damage from the spell.

10th - You can imbue two spells to activate at the same time.

Also thinking about raiding other people's spell list to make them a customised list rather than the leavings of the wizards list.

18th - three spells, or 1 spell, but it goes off on every every weapon attack that hits in the round it first activates. (for an Archer it would be imbuing your bow rather than a single arrow). Not sure how this interacts with the War Magic rays at 3rd - maybe you get a number of shots equal to the number of attacks or the number of rays, whichever is highest?
--------

Assuming we can get these guys up to being Motorcross bandits rather than BMX bandits, the next thing is to limit the casters a bit. Changes which affect combat effectiveness don't have a lot of effect on non-combat effectiveness (as was pointed out when I suggested skill rolls), and a lot of the issues seem to show up with the lower level spells rather than the limited number of high level ones.

2nd Edition limited the number of spells a character could know full stop, as well as prevented access to spell schools that were opposed to your speciality, but I'm not really sure what to do in fifth. Possibly limit non-school spells to 4th and below as a start?

EtA. Maybe steal from 13th age and reduce the number of spell slots, but upgrade them automatically?

On resting

Reduce short rest duration to 15 minutes - if I'm an unfit nerd and can manage a 5 minute fencing bout every 15-20 minutes, superfit adventures should be able to recover from a life or death struggle in the same amount of time. I imagine that the time is spent catching your breath, calming down, re-centering yourself (for the mystic folks) and checking your equipment for damage.

Get rid of Rope Trick or add a chance of planar nasties sniffing out the space, increasing with each use of the spell.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 9, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mendrian posted:

So I noticed there were a couple of people posting some neat ideas about how to improve Fighters. Was anybody interested in collaborating on that (in the interest of maybe 'finishing' a few of the subclasses)? I don't have a lot of spare time but I can probably try to toss out a few ideas here or there. Maybe we can even throw it in the OP eventually.

I'd be up for trying to co-ordinate something. I don't have PMs, so can be found on googleplus as Madcat Angrymog (image is a wierd cat headed thing on a motorcycle) or email madcat at angrymog dot com

The other option with the LFQW thing is to go the otherway and just embrace it - run a game set somewhere like the Known World's Glantri; crazy Magocracy for the win. (I might actually do this at some point)

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 10, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Add a sanity/perils of the warp mechanic for casters, which introduces random apeshit splatterdeath charts, which improve any game ever.

I was thinking about a 'The Gods are dead' setting that did exactly that. Without the Gods, the Prime Material plane is falling apart and magic just hastens the decay.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jack the Lad posted:

:frogsiren: Anyway, I'm thinking of running a roll20/mumble 5e game - either Hoard of the Dragon Queen or my own thing depending on when I can get a Monster Manual. Would any of you be interested in playing? :frogsiren:

Depending on time and day I'd be interested - I am based in the UK though.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thinking about Warlocks.

Give them Eldritch blast as a class feature, allow Blade Pact warlocks to cast it through their weapon and use the Invocations that boost it at the same time.

Does that help?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

That was my intention yeah - that with a melee pact blade the blast would be channelled into the weapon attack, with any applicable invocations also stacking.

The 300' range one could be used with a missile pact weapon?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

ProfessorCirno posted:

And you know what? Sorry Arivia. But most FR fans are going to completely eat it up, changes and all. They probably won't even notice the changes!
I thought that some FR fans went ballistic at the changes to FR for 4E? (RUINED 4EVA!!!!OMGBBQ!!! and all that), or do you mean that they won't notice any changes to the ToEE stuff?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Query Copypastad from RPGnet.

Given the penalties for exhaustion, Frenzy really doesn't seem to be worth using, and unfortunately most of the things that look like they'd be a nice fit with its theme are covered by later Barbarian abilities. I'm thinking about just allowing the Barbarian a number of penalty-free frenzies equal to their Con modifier.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lord of Bore posted:

Note that aside from the whip, all martial melee weapons are made of metal or have metal heads in the case of spears, flails and the like (unless you try and claim your maul is made of stone). Hope you packed a staff or a club or something.

You could reverse a spear and use it as a staff?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ettin posted:

Now I kind of want to write a fantasy civilization that uses obsidian not because of a lack of metallurgy but because of all these loving rust monsters in their territory. :allears:

Wouldn't all those loving rust monsters lead to a lack of mettalurgy by default?

On another note, I'm starting a D&D game over skype or google hangouts this Friday at 19:00 UK time - one of my players won't be able to make it after all, so I'm looking for one or two people to join. Game will be starting with a shipwreck and moving on to Spelljammer after the first few levels. Spelljamming itself will be unknown to the characters at the start of the game.

Anyone interested? Contact me via email madcat at angrymog dot com or on steam at madcat_uk so I can have a quick chat with you about what your gaming preferences and style are like.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

P.d0t posted:

Alright, I've been doing some pondering on this, so if anyone wants to appraise my very rough take on the idea, please let me know your thoughts.

1. Fighters gain a bonus feat at every level in which they gain Extra Attack. These feats are picked based on their Fighting Style, as follows:

Protection
Inspiring Leader
Defensive Duelist
Shield Master

GWF
Savage Attacker
Great Weapon Master
Polearm Master

You might want to add more feats to these two lists; especially the GWF one because not everyone is going to be a Polearm user - the 2d6 greatsword damage works better with GWF's feature than 1dd10+sometimes 1d4 I think

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

P.d0t posted:

Keep in mind there's the "any" list that these Styles could also pick from; there's a bunch of fairly broadly applicable feats there. Are there any particular feats you think should be added to GWF and/or Protection?
Totally glossed over the 'Any' list, sorry. Still a bit rough around the edges today :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Boing posted:

The exploits are inspired by various posts in this thread (by AlphaDog, gradenko2000, etc.) as well as various other sources like myths & legends, 4e, dungeon world, and so on. People have slapped together a few loose ideas like this but I thought I'd try my hand at incorporating it fully into the 5e system. I know you can't fix it properly but I genuinely want to make the game better by letting martials have as much fun as spellcasters. Please give more ideas/feedback!
How often can you use an exploit if it isn't explicit in the description, and how does your Multi-attack interact with the built in extra attacks option?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Boing posted:

Would breaking down infinite doors ever be a problem? When would a door ever exist, if it were not interesting for the players to get through it?

In my tabletop game, despite having a chime of unlocking, the party bought a mini battering ram and then proceeded to attempt to break down every door they could find. Even the unlocked ones. Given the oppurtunity and tool to break down a door, players will take it. It's only a problem if you want doors to present an obstacle to the party rather than being something for them to crash through in a dramatic entrance.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thinking about the swingyness of using 1d20 for things; how would 3d20 and take the middle result for a normal roll work?

I think Advantage and Disadvantage should still use 2d20 take best/worst or their effects are really magnified.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

P.d0t posted:

And now, for an actual answer, it would look like this.

Oh gosh, that's a nice site.

Yeah, I have thought about porting the Escalation die to my 5e game.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I used to be pretty "woo man 13th Age sounds rad!" but actually getting to play it I've never found it very satisfying as a game, it's got a few decent ideas to pilfer but otherwise I find it resoundingly boring.

Having played it a couple of times I sort of ended up with the same feeling, though stuff like their bestiary and the Eyes of the Stone Thief megadungeon are really cool. There are bits I like about, and world concepts that are awesome (living dungeons for starters), but one of the things I didn't like about it is that the OUT seems to encourage people to be LOLrandom for the sake of it, or unless the GM and other players are clear on the tone of the game you get characters with very tonally dissonant OUTs.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ask your DM if you can be an Oathbreaker paladin maybe?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I did try and use weapon damage by class for my 5E game, but it just confused my two newbie players (my veteran one who's played Dungeon World etc. was fine with it)

Will try again when they're more comfortable with the game and the idea of houserules and so on.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Have there been any supplements official or otherwise that actually give Fighters and other non - magical character types nice things?

If not, I take it there actually is a market for one?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Gate posted:

Going back to fighters/martial classes being good, does anyone else remember the Book of Nine Swords from 3.5? I remember it being very cool, gave fighters lots of encounter and at will type things to do, neat stances, and thematic fighting styles. Some were supernatural, some not.

My main qualm about that and the Path of War done by a 3rd party for Pathfinder is that they both imply a lot of setting fluff amongst their crunch. Also I didn't really understand the legacy weapon thing :(

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

GM in current game uses critical misses. It's made me paranoid about reporting ones.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Novum posted:

If I just gave a fighter the Champion archetype poo poo for free while they level into one of the other ones how would that balance out?

Pretty good. Do it.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Kommando posted:

"Redgar, you worm. Waving your sword around like a feather duster, my teeth are longer and harder than your steel. Such impudence. Human."
The red dragon snatched up the scale clad human fighter as his companions scurried back from the monstrous drake. Tossed in the air his armaments scattered like leaf litter thrown by a child, then the dragon bit him out of the air.
Redgar, an adventurer of few words and his average intellect no match for the Dragon responded far less eloquently. He pulled a hatchet from his belt and as the dragons teeth sank into his body and broke his legs he shouted; "gently caress. you. Dragon. gently caress. you." punctuating every word with a blow.

I don't think that that's Redgar.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just going back to something said a couple of pages ago - what was wrong with the first printing of the PHB? Or do you mean that there was a problem with the physical quality of the books?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I never really played 4e, but it had some great monsters at the end - I loved the Cataclysm Dragons (the ones that embodied natural disasters) and the star spawn stuff.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Thalantos posted:

Are there any decent retroclones that aren't made by complete garbage persons?

Not heard anything particularly lovely about Kevin Crawford (Sine Nomine publishing)

There's also Blacky the Blackball's stuff at https://gurbintrollgames.wordpress.com/ - he seems okay on RPG.net

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Retroclone

Crypts and Things seems pretty cool, and has Ascending AC as an option.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Did drow at any point ever really receive justification for being extremely dark skinned in spite of living in environments devoid of light which should generally result in a lack of pigmentation? Is it literally just black = evil, real-world racial connotations aside? Really in thinking about it if drow were shockingly pale or almost bioluminescent it would be freaky as hell and a cool basic subversion of the idea that something all bright and stereotypically angelic looking isn't necessarily good.

The Mystara/Known World drow equivalents are pale. They're also not eeeevul, just kind of bitter about being stuck underground IIRC. And they worship radiation.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My elf-canon is that elven adventurers are basically idiot teenagers. They age physical adulthood at about the same rate as humans, then spend a hundred years or so in the outside world. Most of them eventually calm the gently caress down and go off to be wise and mysterious in hidden elven cities.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Re. Worst adventure, isn't The Forest Oracle considered universally bad?

Also The Sanctuary of Elwyn the Ardent from In search of Adventure/Castle Caldwell is truly dire. The dungeon is a spiral, and the NPC's big bad thing that she's done is try to learn other class abilities as well as her cleric stuff.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Shadowfell was so boring

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Question about Zeitgeist for 5e (yes, I could buy the completed one for Pathfinder or 4e and convert, but :effort:)

How much has been published, have the players guides etc. been converted yet, and what's the quality like?

It seems that the only way to get it is to subscribe to En5ider on Patreon?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Time Cowboy posted:

Before y'all start going around again about edition wars...

Would it be worthwhile to pick up an old Monster Manual (from AD&D or something like that) to homebrew funky retro monsters into 5e, or do the current MM and VGM cover most of them? I like the oddball monsters imported from that era of the game, and I'm curious to know if any classics haven't been brought into 5e yet.

The 2E monster manuals have lots of fluff compared to later edition. The Big white (or black depending on printing) is probably worth getting.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

sleepy.eyes posted:

Okay, so in the game in playing right now, my fighter lost his hand. He is a mercenary, and one of his comrades, and a friend, was captured by vampires. It was some big blood feast and a Big Deal for the vampire aristocracy. If we were dumb enough to start a fight in the middle of their fortress (which we we attending as ambassadors) we would just get literally eaten alive. His solution as how to save his buddy is to offer his blood to the edge of death (as they are under diplomatic protection, and this was freely given in barter) and his shield hand. The DM apparently didn't expect my character to make this sort of debilitating deal, and so we went with it but aren't sure how to treat the wound. I would figure disadvantage on a could things ideally requiring 2 hands, but what else do yall think would be appropriate?

It was pretty funny to hear everyone screaming in character about WHAT IN THE FLYING gently caress IS GOING ON WHY IS THE QUEEN EATING CASSIUS' HAND?

That seems fine to me. You'd probably be able to still strap a shield on to be usable. Maybe make it take longer to get into armor unaided too. If you're dealing with vampires guessing you're pretty high level, so getting it cured magically isn't going to be a big deal once you're out of vampire land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

A little while ago someone posted a list of new Battle master manoeuvrers that they'd written - does anyone have the link? It's not the new archetypes just posted above.