Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Well I feel I've been bitten by the bug.

Had my first D&D/'Tabletop' RPG experience last night on Roll20 and it was fantastic. We plowed through a six hour session and ended up deciding to continue in a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So I got myself into a Curse of Strahd game at a local convention, made a Dwarf Barbarian and had a good ol' time. Might get the chance to continue playing him with the same DM/Group. I'd already decided I wanted to go Ancestral Guardian with him for backstory reasons, but I kinda dig the thought of doing a 1-2 level dip into Grave Domain Cleric as well. The anti-undead stuff, plus some general utility from non-concentration cantrips and spells seemed like it'd be pretty neat. That and if the options are limited I can just pump Inflict Wounds into things too.

Is there anything about the idea that just doesn't work? Maybe another type of Domain that'd work better mechanically? Or would it just be better full on to focus on Barbarian and worry about any multi-class dipping way later?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So because I'm playing two Barbarian's at once, one in my online game and the other the physical game, I figured I wanted to go something different for the online game. In this game I'm playing a Lizardman Barbarian, and especially with the DM being willing to let me reflavor stuff I'm thinking of going Totem Barbarian and sometime down the road at like Level 9 or so dip into Fighter and take Cavalier.

The reason? Being able to put disadvantage on anything within range, being a juggernaut on top of that from Totem Warrior and finally the idea of convincing my DM to let me ride a Triceratops as my mount just makes me giddy.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Since you're probably an expert, what's the best way to build Barbarians, in terms of stats and equipment?

14 DEX, max STR, Medium Armor?
13 STR, max DEX, Light Armor?

There seems to be consensus that the naked Barbarian is a trap option (which is why I hate that the equipment package always starts you without armor) :argh:

So very far from it! I just made another one for the physical game I played at a con is all cause it's what I kinda knew. But so far both my Barbarians are naked and rocking 14 AC for the dwarf and 16 AC for the Lizardman.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Just admit that you’re trying to play a Warhammer Fantasy saurus.

It’s a noble endeavor.

Oh there's no denying it, the picture I used for reference is very similar to a Saurus though leans even heavier on the T-Rex look. Thinking once I get my first totem I'll have him take on some of the traits of the animal he chooses... which is a Triceratops(reflavored bear spirit) of course, so a frill and some horns!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

What levels are they?

Both Level 3, not really had moments to buy anything in either game as the Dwarf got to Level 3 at the end of the first session and the Lizardman after two.

I suppose I'm not choosing super-optimal things anyway given I'm wanting to dip into Grave Domain Cleric on the Dwarf Barbarian purely on a story reason than anything else.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 28, 2017

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

14 AC is... not good, especially on a melee beatstick. You can get that with a chain shirt and 12 dex. Bump to 14 dex and you get 15 AC with the shirt, and you can get all the way up to 17 AC using half plate without sacrificing any ASI's away from accuracy and damage.

Naked barbing is only good if your GM drops some Bracers of Defence on you. Which they should tbh.

Yeah, I used the standard array for my ability scores so the highest went into strength, second into con, third into Dex etc. Not gonna turn my nose at it if I can get the chance to armor up more though. Definitely willing to take whatever advice would be helpful. The dwarf doesn't really have anything in terms of gold though given the nature of the game I ran him in, we didn't do much looting and pillaging in the six hours we played Curse of Strahd.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 29, 2017

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Since someone mentioned my Dwarf Barbarian has kinda lowish AC I'll probably split my extra ability scores between strength and dex next level (4) to bump him up to a +2 for Dex. That'll at least bring him to an AC of 15 rather than 14. And will still bring his strength up to 18 for a juicy +4.

Might also think otherwise on my crazy, cool story idea but not optimal dip into Grave Domain Cleric cause something tells me the Curse of Strahd game won't necessarily be continued. Still has a major Hate-On for undead though due to backstory. Hmn.

Lizardman will of course continue his transformation into a Warhammer Saurus, maybe even specifically an Oldblood cause man that's an awesome looking Triceratops skull helmet.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Man you guys have humor fly right over your head, though maybe I'm new enough where I don't hate the designers of the game yet.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

You can trade items while at the same table for no downtime, downtime is used mostly when you trade between your own characters. Items must be of the same rarity

EDIT: :argh:

Maybe it differs between communities, but I thought you couldn't trade stuff between your own characters?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Also call yourself a Skald!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So I could use some build advice after getting a powerful magical weapon from a random roll at a low level. Plenty of people have just been mocking/back-handedly insulting my DM elsewhere so hopefully I can get some actual help here.

I'm a Level 3 Ancestral Guardian Barbarian, no real way to respec or anything. I got a Dwarven Thrower, and on top of that a higher leveled party member gave me their old +2 Shield cause they got a +3 Shield. These are my stats currently, sans the new shield: 17 STR|13 DEX|16 CON|10 INT|12 WIS|8 CHA 14 AC/39 HP

I have definitely crunched the numbers a little, it sucks that my big class stuff doesn't even work with throwing the weapon but I figured that going Fighter/Duelist/Battle Master for Superiority Dice for the extra 1d8 could be fun. But if anyone might have other options, I'd love to hear them!

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, build planning doesn't work that well in a game where the DM randomly drops powerful magic loot on you (unless there's ways to trade them in for other stuff or whatever), but an Ancestral Guardian sounds hilariously obnoxious with a Dwarven Thrower. Just use it against enemies and stand back, and watch as they get disadvantage against your allies - who get resistance against the damage even if they do get hit. You could even take Sharpshooter and improve your effective range from 20 to 60 feet.

Sure you can't Reckless Attack or get Rage bonuses to damage, but all that party support against boss monsters!

Yeah I'm not gonna lie that I went Ancestral Guardian with the intent to be kind of support. Although if I just went the dipping route for Battle Master I'd still also be able to do some silly poo poo while also providing more support via the main effect of the Maneuvers.

I do wanna use this thing and with the nature of what I play in, a Multiverse created by our cities community wherein all these worlds are essentially connected and you can hop between games, I might not have the narrative chance to really benefit from offering an artifact like this to a bunch of fellow dwarves.

The nice thing is I've earned the trust of another dwarf party member who is from a very weird mountain range which he's gonna base around his own game he'll DM. So I'd already have the favor of his clan/their god thanks to the shield he gave me.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

You have a +3 weapon at level 3 and another party member just swapped out their +2 shield for an upgrade. Do not rebuild your character around this weapon, just don't use the throwing ability in combat much until the GM drops you a different +3. Treat it as a contingency option for when you can't quite reach the bad guy in your turn. Drop your next ASI into dex and strength and grab some medium armour. What level is the rest of the party?

Your stats don't make sense, did you roll for them? You have one too much con for point buy/array.

Out of combat, note that the hammer returns to your hand "Immediately". Need to climb something? Tie a rope to the hammer and arc it around a parapet. Friend falls off a cliff? Throw them the hammer to pull them back up. You fall off a cliff? Go full Thor with it, throw it below you and catch it on the upswing. Knock on doors from far away. Turn off lights with it. Get some glue and use it to fetch things for you. Strap the halfling to it to scout out high places, or low places, or places in the other sides of chasms. Don't ask them first.

I'm a Mountain Dwarf which is why I've got +2 STR and CON. Otherwise the stat spread is 15 13 14 10 12 8. And here's the thing, my city has this big Multiverse stuff which lets you hop between different games within it. I've found out this is not Adventure League at all, and there's some leeway on Cool Stuff. Only reason I got handed a +2 Shield is cause they're a high level party member, and as for getting the Dwarven Thrower in the first place... DM basically said he felt generous, usually his custom Treasure Slimes only have one guaranteed piece of magical loot in them but he decided with it being the last game he'll get to run at the Sunday Multiverse gathering until January he'd let us roll percentile twice to decide which two tables he rolled on.

I've really liked the ideas people have tossed my way, so working around the hammer doesn't seem so bad. Plus it seems the consensus in our big community from our forums is... kind of left up to the DM whether my Barbarian stuff can apply to Rage/Reckless Attack. The three I've played with have had no issue with my applying it to javelin throws when I didn't realize it might not be 100% RAW.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 20, 2017

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So it seems my cities big 5E world has no connection to Adventure League beyond voting on what books to allow. The only ones they've not being Volo's for instance, for now. Basically it seems the consensus is it's up to DM discretion on whether my Barbarian Rage/Reckless Attack will work with a Dwarven Thrower.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why would they say no to Volo's there are a bunch of cool things in there.

It might be less choosing to not have it in and more "Hey what should we vote on next?"

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

While I sympathize with this, the paladin doesn't have to burn all of their spell slots smiting in the first encounter, every single god drat time. Sometimes you let yourself coast through a few with some shoves or grapple for flavor but don't go whole hog.

I've been slowly learning this in regards to Rage as a Barbarian too.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Most of them are like that.

Overall it seems my cities DnD community sees things related to melee weapon attacks etc as meaning it's still a melee weapon attack even if done from range, which means that martial classes can actually do stuff with their tertiary weapons.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I could see someone with a family going off to be a soldier-for-hire type, or maybe they're part of a mercenary company or simply part of the military of the land. Something happens to their comrades, they need to find work to survive as there's no longer a trickle of gold coming in.

There's also an image somewhere of a Bard with a very grumpy looking group of monster-women and their half-breed children which Skellybones reminded me of.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Critical Role is good and fun and got several of my players into the game/RPG's in general.

We should all strife to be Grog.

Recently watched their Level 20 Battle Royale video. I felt so bad for Travis.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I love how back before they started it all as a home game, Sam told Matt "I want to play the most useless character!" and he told him to play a Gnome Bard.

Admittedly this was back when they were playing in Pathfinder, the conversion into 5E had... amusing consequences.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

So the guy that DMs a lot of the games I play in with my cities local thing invited me to his Roll20 campaign. I didn't know what I wanted to play so he rolled up three sets of stats and let me pick. In the end I went with a Goliath Sorcerer with these stats:

15 STR 12 DEX 12 CON 10 INT 15 WIS 15 CHA

I'm just kind of at a loss for what to go for build-wise. He's Wild Magic so that's already settled but not sure from beyond that.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

Are those pre or post racial mods?

Post the +2 STR and +1 CON. I was thinking of dipping Hexblade to get martial weapons/medium armor/shields and stuff.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The last thing a d6 class with 12 CON wants to do is get in melee.

Well I wasn't entirely sure what your response to my original post was meant to be. Actual advice, or just trying to be snarky?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

The Gate posted:

So, your actual rolled stats were 15, 15, 13, 12, 11, 10 it looks like? I'd suggest a swap from Goliath to anything with Cha as a racial stat if you like Sorceror. If you get that Cha to 16, you're golden, especially if you want to go Hexblade later. Half-Elf is excellent. With Hexblade, you want to get 14 Dex to use with your medium armor, have max Cha, then do whatever (more Con is always good). But really, any race that gets you +1 or +2 Cha would go a lot better with a Sorceror.

If you're dead set on going Goliath Sorceror, I'd at least swap your stats around to put the 15 from Wis to Con instead, so you start with a 16 Con score, and then at level 4 you'd probably want to bump Cha to 16 and the 11 you'd have in Wis to 12. You'll gain a solid amount of survivability that way, and it will help with Concentration checks.

I can't swap my stats around, these were rolled in order of the stats. So the STR got a 13, the DEX got a 12 etc etc so it looked like: 13 STR 12 DEX 11 CON 10 INT 15 WIS 15 CHA before adding my Goliath stats. Didn't know what I wanted to play, DM rolled up three sets of stats and this one had the highest CHA out of them all with none having particularly high CON.

Think that dipping into Cleric is going to have the same benefit for me as going into Hexblade though, sans the Martial Weapons I suppose.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 8, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Rolling down the line is the worst, most stupid way to create a D&D character. Your DM is bad and you should explain to him why. Just say you're using the stat spread in the PHB and make a sensible character.

He didn't force me to have him roll for the stats, he asked "So I'm having you guys do standard/point-buy or [this way to roll] whatcha wanna do?" And I went for it cause I had no idea what I wanted to play. I'd have been flat out worse stat-wise if I'd gone point buy anyway, cause I knew I wanted to be subversive and play your usual 'big guy' choice as a caster.

The character won't be useless in the slightest, just not minmaxed out the butt which will be kind of refreshing compared to my barbarian who's popping heads left and right.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 8, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

To be perfectly honest I'm fine with not being min-maxed up to my ears. The game isn't balanced around maxing out your main stats, it's just a good thing to aim for. It'll be a nice change of pace compared to the barbarian I'm playing at physical tables who is Walking Death.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

To be honest it's more constructive than most of the responses I've received. Thankfully I didn't only seek help here, so I've got a general idea of what I'm going to do with the character now rather than walking away with only having my DM called an idiot and being told the character is hot trash cause he doesn't start with a +3.

You guys put far too much focus on stats and min-maxing for a game that can easily be 70% talking.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 8, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

"I care about the numbers" is implicit in the "critique this build" request, isn't it?

If not then sure, do whatever and it'll be fine because fun.

I think the main issue is people just not bothering to give thoughts on how to make the class/race/stats work which is what I asked in the first place. It was "Hey any build ideas for this?" Not "Is this Hyper-Optimal?" Just seems pretty clear min-maxing isn't required for something to work and not be bad.

And if it does become a real problem, which I doubt it will with a party of eight people. I can ask the DM if my character could commission an Amulet of Health or something.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 8, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Some of you guys really have no concept of responding to someone's post without sounding obnoxious.

As some others who are more level-headed have said, don't quit. And also ask yourself a very important thing. Did you, and your players have fun? People can spew as much bullshit as they want about a really powerful BBEG but judging by your post, your players had some of the perfect pants-making GBS threads reactions you want for a bad guy. Especially if they're low level, treat this as the situation where they're thought to be defeated and left for dead. It'll give your players a Bad Guy to want to defeat, and give you time to actually work the Bad Guy out to where he fits within 5th Edition rules.

Reading many of the things he could do, I actually think you could accomplish much of it with a high level Eldritch Knight with maybe some dipping into another class. However one thing you shouldn't be afraid to do is give your Big Baddie's abilities the players just don't get, or to make existing abilities more powerful/different for that BBEG.

But yes you do have the problem of needing to take the other dude DMing aside and go "I don't actually know this system much or at all, you need to help fill me in before I continue."

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You just use it to improve Blade Pact and jettison literally everything else because it's a big ugly pile.

Hexblade's Curse? Armor of Hexes? The one that lets you move the Hexblade's Curse? Other than the random specter at Level 6 it all seems good.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Maybe the guy that's never ran a 5E game shouldn't be homebrewing it out the rear end his first time?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

I mean, I guess he could independently rediscover all the same problems and the same solutions for them, yeah.

There's just merit to understanding the rules and how the game plays with them before you begin twisting/bending/changing them.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I think the issue is a lot of you guys think the game is something broken that needs to be fixed when it's just that the game is made to be simple. You take a much different point of view when changes you make are done to add complexity rather than believing you're fixing something that's broke.

And just for your last point: Elder Scrolls.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

... Am I the only one who read "If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield." as meaning "Use it whenever on your turn so long as you take the attack action." and not "You must use it immediately after attacking."?

I thought it was pretty straight forward :( But then again I've got a nice shield so have been looking at the feat.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I understand why you might think it worked like that, and in the event I'd be a charitable enough GM to let you use it that way, but the "must use it immediately after" tradition derives from all the other contexts of Bonus Actions as being "triggered" by (Standard) Actions as prerequisites, and especially in light of Mearls's comments about how you could probably narrow down 5e's action economy to just Movement, Standard Actions, and "riders" on Standard Actions.

Of course, this breaks the hell down as soon as you get into Bonus Actions that don't need any kind of triggering action at all and are instead used as "actions that are too minor to spend an entire action on" the same way 3e has Swift Actions or 4e has Minor Actions, but then that's because 5e's design is also a drat mess that they couldn't maintain consistency on.

That and Crawford more or less saying it worked how I read it. *Shrug* In this case the ways it's worded is exactly what it means.

I think a big reason I just don't get bent out of shape about any of this stuff is I've never played anything other than 5E for long periods of time. The same weekend I went to a con in town, I did play a game of Pathfinder with a pregen character and had read up on it prior to going. A lot of the rules seemed a little weird coming from someone new.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 18, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

The fact that it doesn't very specifically state that the bonus action must be taken immediately after doing the attack action is why I read it that way. I'm assuming there must be other situations which are relevant to Crawford going "As with most bonus actions, you choose the timing, so the Shield Master shove can come before or after the Attack action." Or does everyone here use a bonus action after their action?

Now don't get me wrong it isn't like I agree with everything in the book, it isn't always clear or consistent especially with the type of attack (somehow a melee weapon remaining a melee weapon even if thrown yet the attack isn't a melee weapon attack, for one) but in this case it just seemed perfectly clear. If you had to take the shove bonus action after attacking, it would say that. Instead it says when you take the attack action on your turn. This does mean the DM should go "Eh, EH you gotta use your action to attack remember?" if a player wanted to try and be a butt about it.

Edit: I think the entire weird confusion would be fixed by just giving you a bonus action shove period.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 18, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Comparing reading that you can use a bonus action before an action is really loving different from speeding past a red light like an idiot or trying to get your rear end beat at a club. Neither analogy works, at all. The Gate laid it out, one usage of getting a bonus action says immediately after taking an attack action, but this one does not. That's 100% clear.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

I refuse to believe you don't understand if-then statements at this point

Shield Master: If you use an attack action on this turn, then you can shove with a bonus action. No mention of it must be before or after.

Monk Flurry of Blows: If you use an attack action, you can then spend a ki point to attack with a bonus action immediately after.

I'm not seeing what isn't clear here.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Or you can just go "I'm not going to attack cause there is nothing to attack." Unless you've got movement to get to an enemy still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

My old copy had feat and background descriptions verbatim at least.

The maker of the sheet has gotten around everything fairly easily by simply allowing people to import custom data... which can include everything the old version of the sheet had, plus new stuff.