Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Endie posted:

And I really don't get why people played Tomb of Horrors after July 28th, 1975, but I get that there is a market for that sort of death puzzle thing.
Well one could technically play Tomb of Horror as a part of Isle of the Ape for maximum pain. Which kinda would improve it because i loving can't see why anyone would waste his life trying to kill that demi lich in the shittiest tomb (where everything is cursed) while you could live as a king outside. Now if you need to kill it to exit that loving Isle, sure let's murder that lich.

Also yes sharing the hate for N2 - The Forest Oracle. Linear? Check. Badly Written? Check. Nothing happens? Check. Then Nothing happens? Check. The only good thing about it is the nice art.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tir McDohl posted:

Is Paladin in general a bad multiclass?
Not with other charisma oriented class (Sorcerer, Warlock, Bard). The synergy is strong especially if you take your first level in paladin because the armors and weapons proficiencies are a lot better than the warlock or sorcerer ones.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

blastron posted:

Friday's Adventurer's League party consisted of four half-elves and a kobold (me!). We played a module that started off in Mulmaster, city of racists. We got through a checkpoint by telling the guard captain that we'll either stop the crazed drow from coming out of the pit or we'll die horribly and remove four more non-humans from the world.
I realized i mostly play Variant Humans or Half-elves those days, i think the problem is that no other races offer as much liberty to personalize your skills outside your class skill list and give your "your choice of two +1". I think it's what i hate the most in 5e: there aren't Variant Elf, or Variant Any Race that doesn't shoehorn you toward a particular class.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Why in the gently caress can I not buy a digital copy of this game in 2017?
I just watched the total i spent this year on drivethrurpg.com on ocr title and non official 5th edition title and Wizards of the coast are dumber than the music industry.

NeurosisHead posted:

Like everyone else said, piracy. That being said, the last time I was poking around in D&D Beyond I noticed that there was PHB content in the spell list, with a spell description that was basically "this is blank but will be available after the beta launches to final". I'd bet they'll do some sort of subscription or digital purchase thing for content, since their plan is to build D&D Beyond as a sort of content storage platform for streaming and playing D&D.
They better do that or no one will loving build character with their site when there are only 2 really poo poo feats on it.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 11, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

"Free Action, but only usable once per turn or per round or per combat" would be perfectly fine but no let's waste our time on half or quarter action which basically do exactly the same*. But yeah the attempt to remove bonus action is really trying to fix something that's not really broken.

*except it forces you to choose one free action per turn.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jul 12, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is the 15 point max limit good for most people? It's only a +2 bonus unless you pick a race that pumps it up a bit more. Which may be totally fine but I don't want players to feel pidgin holed into picking a race because it gives their class a bigger bonus.
You can still add you racial bonuses after you spent your 27 points. Getting 16 or 17 is pretty easy. Like Variant human is 16 max + 1 feat(some are +1 too) + 1 skill and most +2 races got to start at 17 (functionally 16). +3 is good enough.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bewilderment posted:

The most fun all-around monk is the Shadow Monk because they can still do everything that makes monks good (go fast, stun people) but they also get a lot of tricks they can use both in and out of combat, like shadow-teleporting, making darkness and so on.
Shadow monks are great assets for most team, it's a good reliable mage silencer and they got that pass without trace spell that makes team stealth a breeze. Also Darkness is great. But people generally prefer open palm because of the chi draining powers that become kinda obsolete after you gain stunning strike (so 2 level later). Not enough love for the shadow monks.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah it's technically limited by attunement (up to 3 items) and not all magic items require such attunement, so as long as the items are attunement free, you should be fine with 15 non attunement rings and 5 hats that doesn't require attunement over each other? Also you would look glorious.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

People prefer the race that can give them more feats, skills? Shocking.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Best part:

"...five years ago, I never would have chosen the game’s most popular match: the human fighter. There are already enough human fighters in movies, TV and books — my first character was an albino dragonborn sorcerer. But these days I can get behind the combo’s simplicity: It lets you focus on creating a good story rather than spending time flipping through rulebooks to look up spells."
Yeah also their magic spells being classed by alphabetical order isn't the most newbie friendly thing ever.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 12, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sion posted:

I miss healing surges. Dependable healing allows you to actually, you know, plan for this poo poo. A potion that gives 4d4 healing and costs an amount that reflects this vs a potion that gives 8d4 healing and costs more but can still heal less than its cheaper counterpart seems silly and not economically sustainable for an alchemist.
I kinda wish the potions in d&d were working like the Witcher series and could be recharged with costly pure alcohol because loving losing them far from a city after one use is kinda bullshit.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Arcane Trickster Rogues and Eldritch Knight Fighters don't even have access to 5th level spells.
Unless they have the ritual caster feat, then they can cast the insanely small list of "out of fight" spells that are ritual; like the one hour Rary's Telepathic Bond. I mean i swear why the gently caress are some spell like fabricate, arcane lock and continual flame not rituals? Do not let me started about the duration of some of those spells in this edition.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

I am absolutely not defending this as intuitive, but the pattern is:

Char level 1 = Spell level 1
Every odd char level = Spell level +1
Char level 3 = Spell level 2
Char level 5 = Spell level 3
Char level 7 = Spell level 4
Char level 9 = Spell level 5
Char level 11 = Spell level 6
Char level 13 = Spell level 7
Char level 15 = Spell level 8
Char level 17 = Spell level 9

What makes this bit of information useless is that it tells you nothing about how many spell slots you should have ... but it used to: in older D&D's every even character level meant getting one more spell slot for all the spell levels you already had, so:

Char level 1 = one L1 slot
Char level 2 = two L1 slots
Char level 3 = two L1 slots, one L2 slot
Char level 4 = three L1 slots, two L2 slots
Char level 5 = three L1 slots, two L2 slots, one L3 slot

And so on. 3e hosed up the pattern because of bonus spell slots from ability scores, and 5e hosed up the pattern because of limits on low-level slots.
My favorite old traditional spell thing is level 1 cleric without spell slots.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Serf posted:

what is a party
A miserable pile of memes and Monty Python quotes...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

CJ posted:

So i just found out that divine smite dice rolls get doubled as well on a crit. Is a paladin's gimmick in fights to fish for crits then unload a ridiculous amount of damage when you get one? If so how can i get more crits?
Nah that's more of a rogue thing, you attack with advantage from stealth so you can double your crit % from 5 to 10. Also you do not spend spell slot on your cunning attack damage and it get higher as you level. But yeah i guess if you team up with that totem Barbarian with the right totem he can gives you advantage in melee, i guess.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 17, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the best way, mechanically, to represent this Wizard:

Obviously, Strength has to be just as high as Intelligence. Is two levels of Fighter enough? That gives full spellcasting levels but removes one ASI.

This is for a hypothetical adventure in the future so the actual level of play is unknown, I'm just looking for a general progression.
Show the picture to your GM and say "i want 14 str and 14 con to play this wizard!", if he says no find a better gm.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Splicer posted:

Mounted Combatant should let you ride a horse just, like, where ever.
"IT'S MATRIX MEETS 300... BUT WITH HORSES!" sounds like a drunk hollywood screenplay pitch.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think 4e is fine as a game. The D&D title just caused it some issues. It was simply too different from the versions of the game that came before it.
Yeah the rules gravitate a lot more toward combat (and it's a lot better at it really). Of course, nothing prevent you to go full free form roleplaying between combats. What i really hated is the destruction of previous settings to make them fit the new rules systems and races. Like, Wizard gently caress you, just create a new setting for your game and allow the grognards to keep the old ones if they do not like dragonborns.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lukewarm Take: 5e would be indistinguishable from a mid-2000s d20 OGL retroclone sitting between True20 and Arcana Unearthed if it didn't have the D&D name behind it.
Pretty much, yes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fans posted:

People who insist game mechanics must be in universe consistent are also the ones who try to work out in character that hit points exist and gently caress those people.
Yeah down the line it's make belief, it doesn't have to be an hyper-rational simulation.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

For Rogue sneak attack, it is advantage on attack OR having an ally in a flanking position to trigger sneak?
Both, you get it if you have advantage or if you have someone fighting your target in melee range (like an ally or an npc hostile to the target).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 10, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

As a follow-up, ranged sneak attack - even if not hidden /advantage if Target is adjacent to one of your allies it triggers?
Yes, if the target is in melee range of someone fighting him, you can sneak attack them with a basic ranged weapon attack. The logic is that he is too busy fighting to prevent you to gently caress him up. I really hate that it's called sneak attack when it's not an attack just damage.The 5E Rogues are balanced around the idea of getting their Sneak Attack damage every round. You will rarely ever get more than one attack per round anyway. Note it's one sneak attack per turn, if someone give you a surprise attack on their turn, you can sneak attack again if the conditions are met (allies in 5 feet range from the target and you do not have disadvantage).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 10, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The various charm spells in 5e are some of the most infuriating poo poo ever and invariably lead to varied debates on what is 'reasonable'.

Why they picked enchantments in particular to be vague escapes me.
I have seen a warlock player with that "disguise self at will" invocation power try to abuse the charm "people get angry" part in order to set up conflicts amongst NPCs. The gm was okay because they agreed before the game on who he could use that poo poo on. But yeah it's so vague.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

I wish the fluff around Hexblade was better.

"A magic sword speaks to you from beyond time and gives you the power of swords" isn't something I really dig.
Yes, i agree, i translate that as "we have no idea about the fluff behind this power, find something fitting to your setting for your campaign, GM". It's pretty much the same thing for most Warlock types, there is an abyssal lack of lore around the way you interact with your patron, all the work is on the GM to decide on the narrative nature of the interactions. But hey meanwhile you have fluff for 8 different types of human civilizations you can read about before taking alt-human.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

In both my groups, you get ASI + feat, not one or the other.

In one group, you don't get a +1stat from the feats that give you that, instead you can talk about some additional benefit with the DM. It's never come up for me, and I haven't noticed it come up for anyone else either.

In the other group, the DM said "OK, if anyone notices something that's poo poo because someone can get their ASI and a feat's +1 stat, let me know and we'll revisit it, until then just get both". Nobody's complained yet.
I still don't know why it isn't the default rule yet at least for the first two asi or feat levels.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I want a D&D where you start off by choosing Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, or Magic-User. Those go to 5th level or so, then everything else is a multiclass choice that you can pick at some point after 2nd level.
I kinda want a D&d where you must choose the part of your class with the Combat part of your character, the Support part and the social part of your character.

Classic archetypal classes could be on the Combat/Support/Social:
Fighter: War&Combat/Leading Men/Vassility
Mage: War Wizardry/Support Spells/Academic Reseach
Thief: Duelist or Ranged/Thievery Method/Guild managment
Cleric: Wrath of god/Divine Support/Church Management

And you could mix that poo poo as your background/gm allow.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Mind you, this doesn't really fix deep-seated issues like caster supremacy, but at that point you're better off playing another game than throwing in another page+ of rules.
Outside combat, caster supremacy on most utility spells can be nearly neutralized by making most non combat spells ritual only. It open magic to anyone with the ritual caster feats and if you ignore the loving short as gently caress spell duration of some spells, there is no reason for a 13+ int characters at high level not to be magically potent. I wouldn't include summon spells but beyond that, it works rather well.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 17, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Didn't they remove the paladin ability to do ranged smite too?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bewilderment posted:

I think Shadow Monk is actually the best monk archetype in the PHB since the 'core' of monk is already pretty good in combat and Shadow monk gets a very good amount of utility outside of it, while Open Hand is all about the combat.
I totally agree with that, after level 5 you get stunning strike anyway. Also Silence and Pass without a trace are too good spell to ignore.

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is a perfectly valid position. Even if situational, some spellcasting is superior to no spellcasting.
Yeah but they should really fix the 4 elements path because it's really poor man avatar the last air-bender.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

So, uh, weird question here but I'm writing a few short homebrew Battlemaster manoeuvres since there's some obvious gaps and all. Some of 'em are definitely pretty dang strong and so need level gating, but I was just curious what the general thoughts are on using the Superiority Die to determine not-so-much added damage or anything immediate but rather determining the duration of effects. Like, something as simple as hitting a dude really hard to give disadvantage on attacks for a couple rounds or whatever. Or maybe half the roll. or something.
Yeah, burning superiority dice for debuff effects is a good way to do it, mauling the enemies and seriously wounding a particular body part should have an effect for a few (3-5 top) rounds. I wouldn't allow more than one of those effects at the same time on each enemy. Disadvantage on attack roll is okay.
loving someone legs should reduce their speed by half for a few rounds.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 22, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

He's right. Between the warlock, sorcerer, and bard, there's not really any narrative left to explain how and why a wizard casts magic.
Theme wise, I think the logic is that they are mundane non-sorcerer human who used their book smart to learn how to cast potent spells without compromising their soul to a non human spirit or god. You know no god, no contract, no master. But yeah this edition, bards are kinda better.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Well you could allow certain sub-classes to have some kind of meta magic access, like natural subtle spells for illusion and enchantment to arcane tricksters or empowered spells for evocation on Elderich knights or one meta magic effect for the spell of you wizard specialty.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Wild magic sorc has a one in fifty chance of wiping their self and everyone within 15 feet every single time they cast a spell.

Have fun :)
Yeah if the other characters don't force him to walk 20 feet behind them all the time it's kinda a suicide pact.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

This makes Half-Elves the best race and Humans the worst.
While Half elves would have +2 skills +2 feats and +2Cha +1 +1, humans would still have +1 in all attributes & +1 feat.If you go point buy, it makes starting with 2x 16 and a few 10s easy, far from the worst.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 6, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jack the Lad posted:

Meanwhile, Green-Flame Blade :negative:
It's also only a cantrip. Just take the magic initiate feat for your fighter or play a race who starts with a free cantrip like high-elf (you really need that int bonus on your fighter). Or play an Eldritch Knight. But yeah the lack of cleave-like area attacks for non magic fighter is bad.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 7, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

rumble in the bunghole posted:

The class should give the stat bonus.
This is the best, most constructive suggestion of this thread, the stat bonus should inclure a few OR options to allow some choice between strength and dex.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kaysette posted:

I love when people think Friends is a powerful permanent charm spell and not the simple minute long cantrip with consequences that are clearly described in the spell description. I guess many spell names like Fireball are more literal but maybe he should switch to a fighter if he doesn’t want to learn what spells do.

He also just sounds like a turd in general but :shrug:
Friend is super weak and leave people angry and he shouldn't expect to actually make friends with charming spells, just a long list of enemies and bitter people who now hate enchanters, now if he was a warlock with that disguise self at will incantation that could be lot of fun, making people angry at each other for no reason but "you just used a magic spell on me!" but yeah it's not suggestion (which cap at 8 hours).

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

The biggest card game kickstarter of all time was exploding kittens, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t due to the quality of the game design.
The thing is Domain Rulership rules for D&d is something really big for a lot of obsessive people who watch too much game of throne and the only recent crunchy thing available on the market to fill that need is Adventurer, Conqueror, King, an OSR game literally owned by the alt-Right guy producing Milo Yiannopoulos so anyone offering a kickstarter for a game like that fill that niche but who didn't rape 30 women and killed kitties on video is literally going to get mad money.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

wow I guess vaguebooking is even lamer when the people being complained about are internet randos and not people you know
Sadly when you suggest to play a game you got on a humble thing to a table those days people Google about it. :saddowns:

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 12, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I know i own An Echo Resounding, already. Like most Kevin Crawford stuff , it's pretty great. It's not fully 5e compatible, you need to do some small work to adapt it.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, this is in my queue, but I’m not sure how tied it is to the Labyrinth Lord stuff.
Mostly the class/level of the troop suggested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Elysiume posted:

How do people feel about Friends? I need another cantrip for my wizard, and while spammable charm is nice, the downside is incredibly bad. Currently have Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, and Thaumaturgy as a tiefling illusion wizard.

e: 18 int, 16 cha if that would affect suggestions. I'm starting at level 6, so I'll probably have 20 int, 16 cha unless I decide something is more enticing than a casting stat ASI.
If there are humans or people with no dark vision in your group, you may want to be a good team player and get Light.