Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love that SaaS has basically realized sun's 90s dream of the NC

except that now the NC part is irrelevant because you can use a phone or tablet or thick client as your terminal based on convenience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

univbee posted:

welcome to cj'ing, enjoy your stay!

this is a legitimate problem. it was also fun when some of our small business clients bought a bunch of new windows 8.1 systems and then discovered a business-critical web portal shat the bed with ie11 and no amount of compatibility mode would fix it :shepicide:

fine, it's a step up but office 2011 for timb still breaks all kinds of crazy files, especially excel poo poo. also a whole pile of outlook features (which of course will be MISSION CRITICAL for the person you're supporting) won't work.

outlook 2011 crashes like clockwork almost everywhere i've seen it used. it also has the benefit of placing everything in completely different places than both outlook 2010 and mail.app just to make sure that no one knows how to use it when they get it. thankfully ms has blessed us with outlook 2013 for mac...

re: file formats, there are serious incompatibilities between 2007, 2010, and 2013. all of which run on windows and use the xml document formats. god help you if you want to use something like change tracking between versions, or even between service packs.

the office team does not do compatibility

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pram posted:

u mean admins are dumb and lazy as poo poo *faux surprise*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

osx had really spotty ad support until 10.7, which basically broke all the hacks you used to have to do to get osx to work on a domain (without it making GBS threads itself every few weeks). now it basically works and you can even do "fancy" poo poo like folder redirection to windows servers reliably

but admins get mad because they're used to just basing all their set-it-and-forget-it deployment stuff on GPOs and having to put in a third party product to manage that on the mac side is just a step too far. it's just plain ol' platform lock in, but everyone is used to it because ms has been the only platform since the early 2000s

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft doesn't break things. the admin breaks things and then blames the last update which didn't affect anything related to what the admin broke.

apple doesn't announce they will break dns for a year and then they do it.

you have never updated sharepoint have you?

don't get me wrong, most windows admins are lazy shits who don't know the first thing about their job, but microsoft absolutely does break software through automatic updates. like, poo poo that's in a default oob configuration with start spamming errors because the update process hosed with its configuration

they just tend to fix it in the next patch cycle

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a reason best practice for update deployment is to run a few weeks behind, deploying everything to your test lab first. it ain't just because of third party software

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

not comic sans, voted 1

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

I cant wait till our ceo gives up his fight against the cloud so we can move all this poo poo to 365 and azure

your company is run by abe simpson?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

can michaelsoft stop making their cloud services crash because its pretty much killed any chance of a 365 rollout here for a few years

i've been using 365 since the private beta and there have been two outages that i've noticed. one was microsoft completely loving up their internal dns

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft runs a few different cloud "tiers", some for education because of some requirements they have, some for business, some for public/free thing. they crashed the poo poo out of the education one about 3 weeks ago and it made a bunch of universities withdraw on their proposals to migrate

lol. enterprise tier 4 lyfe~

actually i'm on a small business plan that doesn't exist anymore, but whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the ed tier is pretty much the same as enterprise except higher ed is super cagey about their data being replicated on over-seas links and having their data stolen by government agencies so its US-only

we have a client that does some gov't related stuff, we're stuck looking for third party hosted exchange for them because microsoft won't guarantee data storage in canada, only north america.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

the other fun thing about office 365 is that microsoft doesn't support anything past its mainstream support phase, so one of the companies we support that basically spent a fuckton of money on licenses back in 2007 but not a dime since got to go through the whole "well, your complicated-as-gently caress calendar sharing mess doesn't work in outlook 2007 anymore, and microsoft support basically told us to gently caress ourselves; you need a newer version of office but they only sell 2013 which doesn't work on your old-as-gently caress xp computers so you can either buy new computers and new licenses or use the web access, which we can't guarantee will continue working much longer from xp's ie8 either"

i think they're using the web access :ughh:

it makes perfect sense in terms of forcing an upgrade cycle on businesses and consumers that were only buying once every six to ten years

it's good business. and what else are they going to use? lotus domino?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but seriously, they're legally prohibited from having some data stored outside of canada.

hilariously, no matter how many times we tell them that means they can't use dropbox, they keep loving doing it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

don't loving give them any ideas, i already had one client using that poo poo

so you worked for shaggar eh?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i prefer that they keep paying me.

my rear end is covered, everything is documented and all emails are retained.

if snowden leaks their secret plan to lobby for socialized maple syrup it's not going to be on me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't call me shirley

and, sure, i could. but government contracts are a big part of their business, if they lose that they won't have as much money to spend on me

my job is to tell them they're out of compliance and recommend steps to avoid those issues, if they ignore it it's their problem. i ain't going to rat them out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my company employs over 1000 ppl and only last year upgraded from xp and office 2007 up to win7 and office 2010. so theyve been paying yearly subscriptions to MS for this privilege?

yes, because unless they're idiots they've been paying for software assurance on those licenses the whole time. they didn't just go to the store and buy 1000 copies of office and windows 7, they've had the right to use whatever the latest version is since release. they just finally got around to testing and deploying the new software.

if they were masochists and hated you all they could upgrade with every single release if they wanted to

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf: professional snitch

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's basically the right thing to do to customers that are complaining about things not working on xp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have a client that still has an NT4 server on their domain, running some old production DB that's never been updated

it fucks with everything because they can't raise the domain schema functional level past win2k without it breaking, which means all their fancy new servers are constantly spamming AD errors

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's big money to be made consulting on software deployment in those cases, the project never ends and they can't defund it even though it's going nowhere

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

api call girl posted:

our oldest server is a vm running 2003 as our wsus :(

good lord. migrate that poo poo, it will run on anything with enough storage and migrating the config DB is trivial

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i fired a client because they outright refused to replace their creaky, half-broken server 2003 server and xp workstations

don't need that poo poo, and it turns out businesses that cheap don't make for good clients either, whoda thunk it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

the challenge is to come up with a consumer clod product that wouldn't make the business tools team freak out and have you fired

you can't because there will always be some subset of small business convinced they can replace their fileserver with it.

now that sbs is dead along with single-server local exchange, there's really nothing stopping them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

yeah but what the gently caress would this home server do? and why would people want it ever?

you don't really understand microsoft, do you?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

about half of that is windows server essentials, except you still get GPOs too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mission Statement posted:

Putting clients first by putting employees first, immediately after prioritizing fiscal responsibilities and leveraging profitability towards exceeding by empowering our employees to put clients (and themselves) first, in a diverse and respectful environment of only those that come first, first.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pram posted:

it can print!!!!!!!

tbf, the surface rt can print to most printers too. microsoft ported p much all of the print drivers that ship with windows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sniep posted:

i like how the big ideas for msft are things apple could just stop intentionally making hard with 0 effort in response to

requiring airprint for 100% print compatibility and zero-config printing isn't really making things hard for anyone but poo poo-tier printer manufacturers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the second SKU has hit the tower

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

since they actually license airprint, there is slightly less than any reason for apple to do this.

but yeah, it'd be nice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes. if they own an iDevice they do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

you forgot the all important "and need to print" part

who doesn't need to print?

theadder posted:

just gonna leave this here

you knew this was coming. this was the next logical backwards step between the start screen then the menu people actually want

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they're in w8 too

sure windows hasn't had dos support in 14 years, but we'd better keep the icons in there for legacy purposes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually, odds are there's some hardcoded resource link in something important that will break if the icon it points to isn't at an exact object location and byte offset in the file

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

metro tiles are a bad idea that they're going to cling to all the way down

they're not even that good of an idea on a phone, it's just widgets in a grid

meh, in practice they actually work pretty well in terms of at a glance info and ease of access to commonly used apps/tasks. it's customizable enough to be useful (size and location, with detail based on widget size) without being android levels of loving retarded

it's not mindblowing or anything but it's the best widget implementation i've used

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines posted:

meh, in practice they actually work pretty well in terms of at a glance info and ease of access to commonly used apps/tasks. it's customizable enough to be useful (size and location, with detail based on widget size) without being android levels of loving retarded

it's not mindblowing or anything but it's the best widget implementation i've used

yeah, just to clarify, i'm talking about winPho here. metro has no place on the desktop and only barely works on a tablet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

glance info only works if the data is glanceable and most isn't

weather: sure
missed call: maybe
text: only if it's short
your next meeting: only if the name is short
email: a loving joke every time I've seen it used IRL it's like 3 lines of RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:project status

so it's really good for weather and bad for literally everything else

i apparently get different emails than you. of course you could always change the tile to square so that it only shows the number of unread messages.

i mean, i have an iphone now, but i used winPho for two years before that (since launch). it had problems for sure, but metro basically did what they intended it to do

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

w8 (and server 2012/r2 lol) throw some pretty hilarious errors in the event log when they decide that your mouse device input is in fact a touch input, like when using RDP for example.

whole bunch of unexpected vector blah blah errors spam the log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

considering there are still places using domino and netware due to how entrenched it is, AD will be around for a while.

besides, what are they going to switch to, openLDAP? lmao

• Locked thread