Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

the challenge is to come up with a consumer clod product that wouldn't make the business tools team freak out and have you fired

:yayclod:

i love that emote :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
post the before-and-after pictures of the "race lift"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

why the gently caress is the pc settings icon that big

i'm betting that's so normal people have an easier time finding it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LastInLine posted:

they arent but given microsofts stack ranking and the fact that those who are there are either those people lovely enough to game the system and thrive in it and thus deserve whatever comes to them or they are people new to it and undeserving of such treatment and are better off anywhere else i cant help but think its for the best

it can be better for a person in the long run, but in the immediate, it's pretty awful

it's never the right people who get punished

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DonJNavarro posted:

as someone who was let go today, i can tell you it wasn't an email but a super long video we had to watch where he pretended to talk to some people even though it was clear no one was in the room with him.
also they sent everyone individually an email after saying if you were fired or not

:sympathy:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

i wonder how many aspies who can't adjust to microsofts new structure and lack of pepperoni-only pizza nights will quit as well.

pepperoni-only? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

there is a non-management career path for engineers, and while it's "doing the same job" you become an expert and spend time making smart, precise improvements and leading the direction of software evolution as your understanding of the problem space evolves. meanwhile the grunt work gets handed to junior developers.

the trick is being able to identify grunt work that should be handed off

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

wow, mini microsoft comment thread getting way turbo racist

e: check this:

good thing i didn't move to seattle

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

the official MS plan seems to be that the dev leads and PMs will write test scripts/requirements and do the testing themselves

what could possibly go wrong?

this is also what is being done where i work. i think they really want to be like the people you read blog articles about

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

yeah but when you have like 800 million customers that don't work so good

i doubt that's going to ever be a problem at my company :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AtomD posted:

lync federation is cool cause now i can know for sure that a supplier is ignoring my email instead of them maybe just not being at their desk

that sounds terrible; i don't want people getting on my back two minutes after sending me mail

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

beep boop your irrational human preferences are inefficient and a flaw in your design matrix :mitt:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

just me or does that look kinda nazi-esque

it didn't until you said that. now the blue thing looks like an armband

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fleshweasel posted:

on the contrary, they let you use

not ergonomic :mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

you cut that last quote short of the best part

Then, while owning Nokia handsets unit for 3 weeks, Nadella saw the first actual performance data and that the basic phones – dumbphones, feature phones, Asha touch-screen internet phones, and X Series Android phones – combined, saw a collapse of 29% of their unit sales in just three weeks. No doubt the CEO called around to a few of Nokia’s large handset partner-distributors like China Mobile, Vodafone, Telefonica, etc., and discovered that they didn’t like Microsoft and would continue to damage any handset business by Microsoft.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Microsoft considered renaming Internet Explorer to escape its checkered past
The team hasn't completely ruled out the possibility of rebranding the browser.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The milestone sale took place Monday afternoon, when Ames, IA, resident Stephen Dutchins, 81, purchased a two-liter bottle of the wildly unpopular cola at a local Food Lion grocery store. "They put the Coke and Pepsi on the top shelf, and I couldn't reach them," Dutchins told reporters. "I decided my thirst was significant enough to justify buying an unknown brand."

Added Dutchins: "My wife died several years ago."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

graph posted:

someone at work who purchased a surface3 two weeks ago already lost the stylus

they are 50 bux lol

:wth:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pseudorandom name posted:

that story that came out last week about how that one guy fought hard internally to get advertising in the xbox 360 dashboard to increase the visibility of newly released xbox live arcade games and then management turned around and started selling mcdonalds ads is pretty lol

link?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thankyew :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

there's nothing more frustrating than busting your rear end on something that ends up being terrible, there's no feeling of accomplishment, just that you wasted a bunch of your life

don't describe my career

or my life

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants posted:

can someone please explain to me just what the gently caress is going on with this security update

After you install this update, the z-order of the windows is changed. (The z-order calls the SetWindowPos function

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sniep posted:

look how loving thick that angle photo shows that phone to be

that's about as thick as an iphone, isn't it? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasureKevin posted:

outlook is poo poo on every device

does anyone use slack, flow dock or hip chat? can it replace outlook/lync.

i haven't used lync, but hipchat seems okay, more or less. not great

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mod sassinator posted:

i seriously think execs like balmer and elop live in this fantasy world where they use stuff like that and think it is perfectly viable consumer technology. meanwhile they have an army of aids and staff that make poo poo work behind the scenes to make the illusion work.

it's like reagan and star wars defense initiative

i remember bunches of articles about how bill gates's house was all automated and computerized. i bet that's what they think everyone wants/needs

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lysidas posted:

KDE's minesweeper KMines is good :)

it's not called "tuxsweeper"? :downs:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

whats really stupid is that they're surface 2 pros. like this is one thing that a windows rt tablet would work for and apparently MS didn't trust it enough

i'm sure they give the nfl whatever gadgets they want to sell the most

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

iPads are taking over in enterprise because Microsoft's offering has less AD integration

:staredog:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

then why did they give away surface 2s after the surface 3 is out?

was the surface 3 out before nfl training camp started? probably can't switch things up mid-season

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:newlol:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

to get it out of the way

William Safire Orders Two Whoppers Junior

NEWS IN BRIEF • Education • Food • Products • News Media • ISSUE 36•33 • Sep 20, 2000

NEW YORK–Stopping for lunch at a Manhattan Burger King, New York Times 'On Language' columnist William Safire ordered two "Whoppers Junior" Monday. "A majority of Burger King patrons operate under the fallacious assumption that the plural is 'Whopper Juniors,'" Safire told a woman standing in line behind him. "This, of course, is a grievous grammatical blunder, akin to saying 'passerbys' or, worse yet, the dreaded 'attorney generals.'" Last week, Safire patronized a midtown Taco Bell, ordering "two Big Beef Burritos Supreme."

william safire :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

qirex posted:

well it specifically said "what they've spent" but still valuing minecraft at over 2 bil is kind of silly

e: they can probably knock off 33% for not having to repatriate euro cash as well

are they spending 2.5 billion dollars, like in a big sack with a $ on the side, or are they giving away 2.5 billion buckaroos worth of microsoft stock?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

Google search for ps3 Xbox projection cartoon

does red mean xbox?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fame Douglas posted:

They are not Ion Storm.

MS Hardware has been churning out lovely product after lovely product for a long time now: Does the world really need "Arc" and "Sculpt" mice? The Intellimouse days are long gone.

they still make a good ergo keyboard (which hasn't changed in years, which is part of why it's good)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

it's an artificial reef

hueg

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

you would think so but employees can download/install pretty much whatever microsoft makes.

there are very strict rules about acquiring third-party software, though, particularly if the company responsible for that software is on the internal poo poo list

can we get a copy of this poo poo list? :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

vmware? who hates vmware? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ahmeni posted:

how do they still have funding after this long

i remember when second life was the most important thing in the world, according to wired magazine. they would not shut the gently caress up about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gwar owns/owned :patriot:

• Locked thread