Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
so glad I'm at a point in my life where if I need a computer I just go get an iMac/mba/rmbp instead of wasting my time researching each component and putting that together myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

enterprise does but the small business space buys a single copy when they replaces the computer every 10 years and upgrades office then. the subscription model is a shakeup for them

I think you mean shakedown

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shaggar posted:

office 365 is so much better for small businesses that its not even worth thinking about.

I'm mostly happy with moving our email to O365 except when

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

can michaelsoft stop making their cloud services crash because its pretty much killed any chance of a 365 rollout here for a few years

then I've got bitch idiot users coming to me non-stop about email issues and all I can say is welp not my problem

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

brb demanding a win8 install asap

rip

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Caged posted:

any business running sbs 2003 deserves to have it break. gently caress that poo poo.

we run it

I don't touch it, it continues to work

I'm happy with this arrangement

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Speaking of Challenger Disaster Mindsets

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-15/microsoft-said-to-announce-job-cuts-as-soon-as-this-week.html

"Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) is planning its biggest round of job cuts in five years, as the software maker looks to slim down and integrate Nokia Oyj’s handset unit, people with knowledge of the company’s plans said.

The reductions -- which may be unveiled as soon as this week -- will probably be in areas such as Nokia and divisions of Microsoft that overlap with that business, as well as marketing and engineering, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans aren’t public. The restructuring may end up being the biggest in Microsoft history, topping the 5,800 jobs cut in 2009, two of the people said. Some details are still being worked out, two of the people said.

Some of the job cuts will be in marketing departments for businesses such as the global Xbox team, said the people."

lol if you're on the xbox team and haven't kept your resume up to date as of this morning.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Socracheese posted:

i have a good enterprise software anecdote:

my university was one of the first places to develop an electronic class scheduler / transcript database way back in the fuckin 60's, they sold it to other universities and poo poo

but in the 80s it was gettin hella outdated so they formed a committee to decide what to do. the committee waffled for nearly a decade and decided to contract it out. they have flip-flopped on vendors (because each of them did an even shittier job than the last) for decades now over the issue and the school has been eaten alive by software consultants ever since, for thirty years.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

i have some friends at ms who are not having a good day at work today

yes but shares are up 2.9% on this good news!

gently caress this country, gently caress wall street, i hope they all eat a bag of dicks

oh ho! a bunch of people lost their jobs? caviar all around my good man!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

we use lync and it's ok but we don't use any of the audio/video features, just chat and screen sharing

we've been piloting zoom because it works on ipads and macs but it's p bad

way to light the Shaggar signal

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
it's great how Excel will still format a long string of numbers as scientific and there's still now way to turn off that behavior

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

this is the next update after that update

looooooooooooool

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

i am not a beep boop computer man but shouldn't microsoft be signing their software in a way that lets it be installed

hobbesmaster posted:

that would involve giving apple money

because it's so much easier to poo poo in your user's mouths

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

these are making me legit livid.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

to be fair, microsoft licensing is the dumbest loving thing there is and a lot of their poo poo is really baffling to "normal" people

it's baffling to the people whose job it is to know that poo poo as well

dell has a whole department dedicated to dealing with ms licensing and one time i called up needing to order some CALs and he quoted me the price (way too low) and i was like "yeah, those aren't the ones"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I love apple stuff but gently caress that keyboard

no numpad smdh

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I love the trackpad, but that kb is poo poo

I ditched it for this

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
It's great how MS allows a user to set an .lnk open with a default program, like Excel for example, and the only way to fix it is download some loving registry file to fix it.

also I hate my users.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

univbee posted:

you haven't truly cj'ed until you've seen this happen with EXE files. fun things happen when that occurs

A) I thought that's what he did at first
B) is there a gpo setting that I can use to stop that from happening

e: found a registry setting that'll do the trick

Just-In-Timeberlake fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 19, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sniep posted:

the weird thing imho is how the ps4 weighs like nothing compared to the xbone, and it has the psu built in where the xbone comes with a huge external brick. you'd think having the psu inside would make it heavier overall

how is the xbone so drat heavy compared

Microsoft exec: "Heavy = quality! Just look at my Escalade! Put some lead shot in there Jenkins and ship, ship, ship!"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=des3dpKtfIM

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
my neighbor has a relatively new laptop with Win8 on it and the hdd needed to be replaced

now it blue screens all the time.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

pagoe posted:

hmm i watched those videos and im really considering one now. the snap when you attach the keyboard really appeals to me.

it's a click you heathen gently caress

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
click in, do more

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
from the Windows RT thread in dyp

CharlesM posted:

I like mine a lot and since unfortunately breaking it I've been using my Kindle Fire HD which sucks compared to it.

a loving litany of bad decisions

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

qirex posted:

there's nothing more frustrating than busting your rear end on something that ends up being terrible, there's no feeling of accomplishment, just that you wasted a bunch of your life

ah, that explains my malaise

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
honestly, we were too inept to find a stock photo that would make these words easily readable

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

even if you own some weird hodgepodge of devices like a windows & a mac & an android & an ipad you can still have all your stuff sync via safari, chrome, or firefox just fine and relaly using any browser but ie makes your life way easy

IE, share the same lovely experience with all your devices!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I just had to google how to log off a Server 2012 system

gently caress whoever decided Win8's UI is a thing suitable for a server

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

i presume you're running 2012 R2

otherwise you'd be asking where the start button is

you hover your cursor in a 4x4 px block in the lower-left corner. i guess it works okay when you're on a physical console but when you're using a terminal server session and don't have an actual edge of the screen, welp.

yaep to all this

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
*selects all available updates
*installs
*reboot
*check for updates, 87 updates available
*gently caress you

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Clockwerk posted:

any application can hijack focus at any time. what a lovely feature for generating a predictable user experience.

well you see gently caress the user

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

minivanmegafun posted:

ahahaah notch's statement about this rules.

http://pastebin.com/n1qTeikM

what a goddamned loving pussy.

his statement should have literally been

"To my detractors and critics for this move, 2 billion dollars bitches, suck it"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

closing the r&d labs wtf?????

like is that even saving money? who did this calculation? does microsoft not have access to basic spreadsheet software like Microsoft Excel?

?????

it would not surprise me for a second if i were to find out that ms charges its departments for office licenses.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

"It's poo poo, but it's packed full"

this is a thing someone thought "hmm yes this will fit perfectly on a human wrist"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sniep posted:

im the wrist pads

i'm the complete lack of understanding in regards to ergonomics

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

i heard microsoft made a product packed with features but didn't properly consider the human interface is this true??

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Jay Cutler called them "ipad knockoffs"

that's ok because he's a quarterback knockoff

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

same

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm downloading the latest build, I need to see this shitshow for myself

Adbot