Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Silent Hill: The Room gets a lot of crap at times (most of it warranted) but it still is probably my favorite entry in the series since the original.

Most of this is due to the first person exploration of the room itself and finding all the haunting and other creepy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

oriongates posted:

The greatest sin was the sounds. The first 3 games had terrific sound work. The Room had some of the crappiest monster sounds in any video game. The snake-dogs just made the generic "big cat snarl" sound, the monkeys just sounded like you were in the zoo (and it's not like monkeys can't make some disturbing noises if they want to). And of course....

The funny thing is that all those silly animal noises are in the official trailer, yet someone how they come off more creepy than they have any right to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZlIQKquNk

Also while on the topic of SH 4's trailers - The extended version is better than the game itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfdpwl5Vtc

Why couldn't we get a low-budget Silent Hill movie shot in that sort of style?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Just finished Bad Mojo, the game where you play as a dude that gets turned into a cockroach, and it was a cool game. It had its fair share of 90's FMV cheese but man the atmosphere in that game is great. It's just really scummy and dank and having you be a defenseless little roach really makes you start to fear even the most basic of things. The only real flaw is that is some really bad backtracking towards the end of the game if you didn't do something early on. Overall its a really unique game and its nice that Night Dive brought it back.

I remember many years ago there was a low budget video game review show that came on one of our local channels. I think the thing only had like three episodes that it would cycle through - one mainly about Duke 3D played with a really weird track ball mouse, one live at some lovely game conference that looked like it was held in a school auditorium, and one on Bad Mojo where over most of the screens were censored out due to "disgusting content".

I wish I remember what the show was called to see if any footage survived to today.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Alan Wake is much more enjoyable if you imagine you are playing as Garth Marenghi and all the floating objects flying at you have visible wires.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sharzak posted:

The glorious free market that posted the advertisement allowing you to knowingly and willingly trade your time and safety for cash earned by sacred corporations is obviously Jesus because iit is here to lift us above the limitations of the material world . The man leaving fb messages is a Prophet of Christ who was martyred for his works. The messages themselves are the Good News. The animatronic characters represent our choices in life--we can choose to allow them to bring us to God or shut them out. My uncle works for the company,, that invented the game.

Counterpoint: Big Dumb Belching Bear

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I finally got around to plaything through Alan Wake and by far scariest thing about it was the product placement. So many Energizer batteries and Verizon phones...

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really have no idea what they could possible do in a sequel that would be meaningful iteration on the original concept.

You work for a new boss.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

All three Leon games are the best in the main series. :v:

I would be fine if the last RE game ever made was just a blatant copy of "I Am Legend"

Every human on the planet is dead except Leon, and the BOWs have evolved to the point where they are starting to form their own civilization.

Leon would keep on killing them in an endless war, but would slowly come to the realization that it's their world now and in their eyes - he is the real crazed monster....

Then he would keep suplexing the poo poo out them, because, gently caress them.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

He did successfully survive a zombie infested city on that first day though so it evens out.

But he showed up to work wearing a completely different uniform than everyone else in the police station. I can only assume he made it himself when he learned he got hired.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I hadn't played Outlast in a good while, I'd forgotten how relentless that game was.

Does the DLC continue on from the the original's ending, or is it a separate thing?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

1stGear posted:

There's a no-commentary playthrough of the game starting here.

I really hope the textures aren't that bad on PC cause drat.

I just clicked to a random part of that video and the main character is running around like his life depends on him getting to a toilet and suddenly the game's title made a lot more sense.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I was introduced to Duke Nukem 3D due to it being bundled with a joystick. It was the Atomic edition too! I never actually used it for playing that game though.

I remember watching some public access video game show back in the day that was showing off some weird mouse/joystick hybrid device and the game they demoed with it was Duke3D.

I haven't thought about that show in over a decade and have no clue what it was called. I wonder if the joystick you got was the same one.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yeah, Dying Light can basically be broken into two parts: Pre Grappling-hook and Post Grappling-hook.

Both have their merits and are fun to play.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is one of my favorite games of all time and it sucks that it hasn't gotten a good sequel or remake.

There was a Family Guy game made a few years back that wasn't anything special, but I always thought a Zombies Ate My Neighbors sequel done in the same cartoony 3D style would be really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFDnmA1gzsI&t=461s

Vakal
May 11, 2008
This is the only flame tank I need in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnEpRiEteBQ

Vakal
May 11, 2008

catlord posted:

Huh, Nightmare Creatures reboot? I've never gotten a chance to play the originals, but I liked the idea of them.

This is pretty neat. Loved the original even though it was overly difficult and controlled like a lead duck.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Simiain posted:

Never has a place felt more comfy to me and tempted me more to just stay put than Zoe's trailer, I'd hang out in there right now if I could.

Big fan of smoking on the toilet?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

is it too late to plug SH4 The Room? The mid-game surprise is probably one of the most successful moments of gameplay reinforcing the feeling of dread of the atmosphere I've ever witnessed

It's a good game, but I'll always be a bit bummed that it doesn't live up to level of creepiness in its own trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBXIBXPWQA

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If you can somehow brainwash yourself into thinking it was called The Suffering: Downpour and not Silent Hill: Downpour, it becomes a slightly more enjoyable game. The prison themes are just a better fit.

I still want another Suffering game someday though.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 15, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Aside from the dumb Korn song, Daniel Licht did a pretty good job for the soundtrack for Downpour with a couple of the tracks being the only thing I liked about the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk9bnJnHMIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJcvvnGbKs

Of course it doesn't compare to Akira Yamaoka's stuff in the rest of the series, but then, what could?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm a sucker for games where the central hub is a spooky house that subtly changes each time you leave to explore an offsite area then return to it.

Resident Evil 1, Realms of the Haunting, Clive Barker's Undying, etc.

I thought Gone Home was going to be like that as well, but like 10 minutes into it I realized it was basically just a computerized doll house.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 19, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Soma has such a nice, slow burn throughout that really builds upon itself.

Compare that to Outlast 2 which blows its load within the first 20 minutes and becomes a tedious slog for the rest of its overly long playtime.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

I haven't played The Evil Within's DLC despite people saying it's awesome,

Awesome is a strong word.

I'd say it's way more focused than the main game, with that focus being heavily on stealth and evasion rather than combat. If you enjoy that then you will enjoy the two Kidman DLCs. You can safely skip them if you don't.

The executioner DLC is just an action heavy fun romp that has no story.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
In Outlast 2 you literally fall into a pit full of dead children within the first 20 minutes of gameplay. Where do you really go from there?

But yeah, the school sections alone guarantee I never play through the game ever again. What a terrible design decision.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
TR 2013 could have used a T-Rex.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I remember some interview when TR 2013 first came out that defended the rape stuff as being necessary to the story since it was unavoidable part of being human.

Having to piss and poo poo is also a unavoidable part of being human, but the game developers seem to have been fine with leaving out the part where Lara has to pop a squat half way through the game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Why hasn't there been a game similar to Cabin in the Woods? The closest thing I can think of is Ghost Master, but that was.. <googles> christ, 2003?

I originally though Until Dawn was going to be like that since at one point in the game:

it seemed that there was a equal chance of the threat being either an escaped lunatic slasher, a ghost, a forest monster, or a jigsaw-like psychopath, and I figured that your answers to the psychiatrist's tests about what scared you would determine which you faced. But no, three were just fake outs and it was forest monster all along and none of your choices really mattered that much.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sea Sponge Run posted:

did that game that was like friday the 13th or dead by daylight BUT IN A SCHOOL ever come out? I don't remember its name

White Noise 2?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I just want an Alien game one day that features both the Bull alien and the Gorilla alien from the toyline.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

Snake Alien in-game or GTFO.

Who own the rights to Predator/ Aliens these days?

They should team up with Capcom to make a Monster Hunter spin off where the Preds seed a planet with alien queens eggs in order to hunt the gently caress out of it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Wasn't there that game in development where you're a hitchhiker who rides in a car with a creepy serial killer, and you have to juggle avoiding his creepy staring while riding in his car as long as possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgmqtNOrKvA

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

The overall atmosphere of the game is effective to this end, with your adventure taking you through abandoned offices, shadowy warehouses, and other mundane locales made sinister merely through moody lighting and an acute sense of isolation. However, punctuating the game with conspicuous NOW IS SCARYTIME segments drains a lot of tension from them. I won’t deny a few are quite effective (beware the air vents) but many rely on cheap jumpscares or atmosphere broken by the obvious telegraphing.

I remember when FEAR was first announced, they released a 20 minute or so gameplay demo at E3. The demo took place in the office building section and there was a ton of supernatural and horror poo poo occurring almost constantly.

But then when the actual game came out, it seems that they really scaled back on the paranormal stuff and went with more action instead.

Edit: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo7tE2-OLZA

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 13, 2017

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Diabetic posted:

The IDEA of it is fantastic. A psychiatrist reads your responses and based on that the game changes, the implementation though, is something to be desired. Silent Hill has always been known for its unique monster designs but Shat Memz has one type of monster with tiny variations. If Team Silent got a hold of this and made it, it would've been fantastic. But sadly, gently caress Konami forever, since we'll only see Pyramid head from now on and as a guest character in other games. At this point, I'd really love to have known just what the gently caress Silent Hills would've been story-wise.

Shattered Memories was originally supposed to be Silent Hill: Cold Heart and by looking a the original design pitch, was going to be much more ambitious than what we got with SM.

http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2014/12/09/Silent-Hill-Cold-Heart-pitch.aspx

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The good thing about the co-op mode in FEAR 3 is that Fettel is unkillable.

So if you have a friend that is terrible at videogames/shooters they can just play as him and still contribute without dragging the Point Man player down.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would be ok if they just kept making an Evil Within game every couple years and never changed the basic premise.

The Evil Within 8

Kidman: "Sebastian, you have to help us! The executive director fell into the STEM machine and we really need him for the company softball finals next week! Also the STEM scenario this time is set to a pirate ship floating in the middle of an active volcano. So, good luck with that."

Sebastian: "incoherent drunken mumbling" *grabs crossbow*

Vakal
May 11, 2008
EW 2's plot is basically the same as the movie The Cell with Jennifer Lopez.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Also don't be afraid to upgrade the pistol.

The 60% chance for a crit will be useful throughout the whole game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Is it possible to do stealth attacks on the bosses?

I've never managed to get close enough to one unnoticed to try.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Catfishenfuego posted:

There's so much to unpack here but my favourite is definitely the idea that nazi ideology was completely alien to the European and North American psyche rather than being supported by the ruling and much of the middle class of basically every European nation and the USA and inspired by their previous adventures in genocide via death camps.

Hell, there were even Nazi summer camps for kids in the states.

https://gizmodo.com/how-american-nazis-used-summer-camps-to-indoctrinate-th-1743267747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
A Harvest Moon set in the dust bowl during the great depression would be a pretty good start for a setting.

"Oh look, my teeth are being ground down to nubs due to constant sand in every mouthful of the little food I have left."