Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Corpse Party's biggest strength is its descriptions and sound effects, in my opinion.

Reading the detailed description of a kid getting their tounge cut out or their face being beaten until the upper half literally no longer exists, and also hearing awful, awful noises to accompany it made me feel sick to my stomach on more than a few occasions. Never had a game do that to me before Would recommend, even if the actual game part is literally RPG maker and kind of sucks, the atmosphere is really good..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FNAF4 confirmed.

https://www.scottgames.com

I haven't really cared about these games since the first but good on him for keepin the wheel rollin I guess.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I impulse bought it and kind of regret it, It's cool conceptually but I found the actual game to be really unpolished.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So are you required to get the totems in Until Dawn to stop deaths? Chapter 6 spoiler: Matt never gets the option to take out the flare gun when hes getting dragged away but I looked up a youtube vid and when hes getting dragged he gets a little flash back of getting handed the gun and uses it to save himself. I never found the guidance totem that shows that...Is that seriously what determines whether he remembers if he has it or not despite the fact that no one ever acknowledges the totem visions in the game at all?

I also really wish episode select allowed for jumping between choices because having to re-do entire chapters to change things is really tedious.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 31, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, ok thanks. I actually jumped onto the other platform my first run, but sicne you don't play as Matt until the very end if you do that I assumed you missed out on important scenes that way.

That makes alot of sense though, I guess I'll just need to start from chapter 1 and just follow a guide.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

kojima is a hack and i wish the gaming media and public would grasp that simple fact.

Dear lord.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The real horror is coming from inside the thread.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

it does matter as most adults work during the week and not on the weekends.

it actually has gameplay would probably be the main reason.

Yikes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Game is neat so far, but I'm getting weird 10 fps frame drops in larger areas. It's annoying.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm a bit concerned with how many "reveals" the game throws at you in rapid succession though. (I'm about 100 mins in according to steam at the time of this post) Computers say it's 2106, you're in some sort of android or cyborg body, and a easily overlooked datalog states that a comet hit earth and rendered all life on the surface extinct. It almost feels like those should be...End game things, not something you learn super early in. Hoping they're able to keep the rest of the reveals equally impactful and it doesn't just decline from there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked the MC in SOMA. :shobon: Maybe a bit too chatty for my liking but I felt he reacted at least somewhat realistically to most of the poo poo that happens around him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

To add onto that. Catherine says that his brain scan was one of the first and extremely primitive compared to the rest, so that could explain also why some of his reactions are a bit odd or subdued.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It could have just been bullshit made up by people but I thought the Routine devs whined that the reason why its taking so long to come out was because Alien: Isolation "stole" their idea and now they have to change things.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. Like I said it could have just been total bullshit, but I remember that floating around a ton a while back.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrocat posted:

so i played a bit of SOMA last night and i have to say - insofar i'm pretty drat disappointed. i've put about ~1.5 hours in and i don't think i should dedicate any more time than that.

does it get better?

Depends what exactly you're not liking about it. I feel the game definitely gets better as it goes on though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Anyone watch the soma live action shorts ? They are technically really impressive, both picture and acting and sound. I think they merge well into the games' universe .

They're really good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Park is really bad game that attempted to rip-off PT, is full of stupid jump scares, and has an incredibly predictable ending that you could predict right from the start. Also, its only 1 hour of gameplay, and not 2 like the devs claimed.

That's a shame. I expected that maybe it'd be alright since it has alot of positive reviews but welp.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So...yay or nay to the new fatal frame?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

That is so kafkaesque

Please, no meat touching ma'am.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The email you send at the end of Whistleblower is what the other dude reads at the start of the base game. Also, it's never said just how long Waylon was kept under and his head was hosed with; it could have been several weeks, with everything going to poo poo as the upper people let parts of the asylum get taken over by crazy inmates* out of apathy or being afraid to go back down there.

The opening of Whistleblower is kinda hazy to me but I thought you were sending the email that the MC of the base game got at the beginning, and you got caught doing it which is why you got strapped into the crazy machine. And the end was just you telling the whole story to the world on not-wikileaks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

World of Horror is really fun, like a single player Arkham Horror, but it seems really...buggy. I've had two runs lost (one was near the end too) because the game just started flipping out and then eventually crashed.

I did get to play as an Idol and amass a giant posse of cultists by lying repeatably and telling them I worship the Old God though, that was funny.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

<_> i was just saying that most people who didn't like it aren't going to keep bringing it up to trash it whenever it's mentioned, and there was a significant 'meh' reaction but you didn't specify recent people

i just finished the house in fata morgana. it's not really 'horror.' it's...gothic thriller? but if anyone even slightly likes visual novels ( i've stayed away from most of the genre) you should check it out. it's extremely impressive

fata morgana is insanely good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's a game that I think would have worked better without jump scares.

Also the game bugged out on me during one section where I had to drag a floating plug thing around, and it got stuck behind a door which locked, so I lost 25mins of progress and never went back to it. RIP.

Really dug the atmosphere though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Friend got me Yuppie Psycho the other day for my birthday and I just finished it up now. Enjoyed alot of it outside a couple scenes but I'm sad at how sort of of a wet fart the ending resolution stuff was. Hope if they make another horror game it draws from the strengths of this while writing a better overall story.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

A game taking place in an office could be interesting, especially if you tied it into that ‘backrooms’ creepypasta thing.

Yuppie Psycho did some decent office horror but the game kind of falls apart towards the end I feel. Some good aesthetic though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Eh. When I used to be really big into the game I'd play on a server with usually like 40-50 people on and it ran mostly fine.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I got a bit into Observer back on launch and there was some nightmare sequence where you had to guide a drone around and it got stuck on something and the door closed and locked behind me, rendering me unable to complete the mission since the drone was supposed to be with me to interact with something and I never touched it again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I only bothered with the first two seasons but 2 sucked so much I never bothered with the rest. Making Clem the viewpoint character and the rest of the cast adults was an awful move since they all have to act like incompetent children in order for you to have any agency at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a way to get rid of curses? Being stuck with Suicidal and Brain Damage really sucks.

Kind of broke the difficulty of this run over my knee though when I got a Katana from the first event which just trivializes combat.

First run a success. Fun game

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 20, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

E4C85D38 posted:

I got World of Horror from gamepass and it's pretty great. I love the CGA palette you can turn on. It obviously still needs some polish, though, judging by the gamepass release that hasn't been updated : the copy needs to be proofread again, the game has a tendency to crash upon stamina death, and there are some other things that I think are probably bugs but I cannot be 100% certain.

Yeah It's a bit more buggy than I would have liked. Succeeding the shady doctor event (which lets you heal one injury for free) doesn't do anything, and when loading a save my inventory, perks, etc were all gone. (Not just a visual bug either since all my allies also vanished)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That Discover My Body game is a trip. Really well done.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

People who poo poo on Simon really don't understand how good the human brain is at lying to itself when provided with horrible realities. Him just refusing to really acknowledge it is like, classic anxiety damage control.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The issue I had with WoH is it really lacks enough randomization with the events to make doing them again feel worth it. Once you've done a case correctly, you can do it correctly each time. Stuff like side quest rewards also being static is another head scratcher, especially since some are just negatives like losing sanity. Once I realized that I never did the one in the mermaid case ever again, because why would I?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Recently watched a streamer (Tomato) play Scrutinized and man...Really good idea just mired by stupid decisions, huh? The detective stuff was cool, and I don't mind the platespinning aspect inherently since it keeps tension up but the failstates just seem awful. Zero audio cue for the serial killer guy...Just have to hope you checked the cameras at the exact right moment to see him or it's just instant game over. And there were a couple times he clearly was shining the light on the guy and he didnt run away so he just lost anyways...

Don't even understand the game logic behind the kidnapper. He randomly got killed by him once and he never showed up a single time past that in like 6 hours of gameplay. The jumpscare where the serial killer pops up infront of the camera was also completely asanine and became comical after the 6th time it happened.

The devs had a real solid base and just made every possible wrong decision with it...

It got me to check out Tomato's video on Welcome To The Game 2 which baffled me with how much more crap you have to do in that one even though just like Scrutinized the base idea is golden. I think someone posted in here that the devs arent going to make any more horror games because streamers beat them too fast or something?? Shame, they could probably hit it out of the park if they tried harder.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

From a dev standpoint I'm sympathetic because it's nearly impossible to be subtle in a video game accounting for all the different hardware setups of players. You can hear the killer's footsteps it's just about level with the ambient sound so you really have to isolate it. But if you tweak the audio source by even a fraction of a percentage it'll be way louder than the ambient and too obvious (and sure enough it was patched that you can hear him sprint across the lawn from your computer). As for the kidnapper he will get you if you end the night with a single light off and it is very asinine because your character just immediately passes out when doing the last task. The game should give you a prompt so you can check.

It sucks to say but I think a lot of design decisions are to stretch the game beyond 2 hours to circumvent refunds. A full perfect playthrough on normal is about 90 minutes, easily double that for trial and error learning process.

On the other hand MrKravin received doxxing attempts and death threats because he called out Reflect Studios for using Rides with Strangers kickstarter money to fund all these projects and only now that it failed are they saying they'll finish their obligations from 2016 maybe in 2021. Reflect didn't instigate but they also didn't temper and I think creators have a moral obligation to tell their fans to gently caress off if they do something reprehensible like idk harass McDonalds employees over nugget sauce. So probably won't be supporting them in the future.

Oof, thats a bummer. Didn't know about the devs history.

I do agree that it's a tough balancing act with the difficulty balancing but I think the game should have just avoided the instant kill mechanic even though it clearly is there just to force you to restart. Missing him come in should just lead to another situation where he's in the house but you have a chance to recover at the cost of wasting more time hiding.

Also I know it's just a game and its silly to complain about stuff like this but, they went out of their way to provide an in universe justification for why your internet and lighting and windows and all that are faulty but expect me to just think the proper response to a serial killer being INSIDE MY HOUSE is to just hide in a closet for 5minutes then go back to work? lol. The game being across multiple days makes that even more goofy, at least welcome to the game 2 seemed to be a single night (at least from the footage I saw) which makes that a little less immersion breaking.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anyone been playing Golden Light? Extremely great atmosphere and audio direction. The moment to moment gameplay might not be anything to write home about itself but the whole package put together makes for a truly unique experience. Def worth 13bux even if its still early access imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm digging phasmophobia with my friends a bunch, although I'm way too much of a coward to play it in VR haha.

Definitely hope the dev doesn't burn himself out because he really does have something special on his hands but the game is still pretty rough around the edges in its current state. I think it could do a bit better explaining a few things as well. Like we did not know that using the ghost's name in our questions was bad and primarily why we barely had any hauntings past the first few events and mostly had nothing going on for extended periods of time since the ghost was constantly being agitated and attempting to enter hunt mode which was interrupting its other actions and was essentially just doing nothing.

Also this COULD be related to the first thing since we haven't gotten a chance to play since knowing this - but the ghost types definitely don't seem to be very different in practice so far. Obviously the evidence differs but I never felt like any of the haunt events made me go "oh poo poo guys, its a Jinn/Demon/whatever"

Edit: oh and a big thing I think should be changed is how the local voice chat works. I don't know poo poo about game dev so I dunno how hard this would be to accomplish but as it stands it goes through walls and stuff too clearly. On one of the two starter house maps my friend in the house could even clearly hear the 3 of us in the truck from one of the front rooms. Might be less of an issue on the larger ones, but the biggest map we have unlocked is the school and I could hear people below or above me there too.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 4, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Car keys let you turn off the car alarm if the ghost turns it on, dunno about the other ones.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I do wish that there was more ambient light in the levels, just a tiny bit so its not basically pitch black without a flashlight. Barely seeing down that hallway is scarier than not seeing anything at all imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Closing discord before launching the game fixed the voice issues for my group consistently.

Are large maps more fun on higher difficulties? We just unlocked the Asylum on amateur and it kind of sucked. It was just 90% us walking around with basically nothing happening at all and then we finally found the single room we got any activity in and that was it. The highschool seems like the perfect size so far.