Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone know some good (preferably jump-scare free) stealth/chasing games ala RE3 or Amnesia? I love games where you have to elude and run from monsters, but most games are either blatantly scripted or it's too easy to dispatch the monster.

Miasmata sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Victorian Era horror too, which we don't have enough of!

The Order: 1886 looks like it might end up having some pretty scary sections. :shobon:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Origins is an okay game but it's a very bad Silent Hill game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Niggurath posted:

doors loading solid walls instead of rooms blocking progression

I'd play a video game adaptation of Grave Encounters.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

A Machine For Pigs had a literal .jpg jumpscare and for that alone I will never forgive it. :mad:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Mama - Really loving bad. I have a pretty high tolerance for a movie before I will outright call it bad but drat. The commercials were way scarier than the movie.

Mama was pretty great from a technical standpoint, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hewimSXd5yM

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

soapydishwater posted:

I think a big part of the horror to me in Freddy's was also what the phone guy says they do when they catch you. Apparently they think you're an endoskeleton without its suit on, so they stuff you into a costume, which is filled with crossbars and wires and other sharp metal parts and such, and the only thing that's left of you is your eyes and teeth. Maybe it's just my imagination playing it up a bunch, but jesus that sounds loving terrifying. It's a good game if you just turn the logical part of your brain off and soak in the atmosphere.

If you look closely at the bird animatronic you can see that she has a second set of teeth inside of her beak. Why do you think those are there?

:cry:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Just think this is the note Silent Hill is going out on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvK1lEMQf1Q

Ugh, I didn't even know about this. :saddowns:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I think that slowly realizing exactly when you are and aren't in danger in Shattered Memories plays into the overarching theme of coming to terms pretty well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

My favourite part of Machine for Pigs is when you're climbing up a ladder and an artifacted jpeg of a pig mask suddenly pops up on your screen accompanied by a loud noise like you're playing some crummy horror game made in Flash.

I think I've already mentioned this in this thread before but it'll never stop being funny to me. :shobon:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 25, 2015

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

Does anyone know if Fatal Frame 5 is any good? I loved the first two but something just felt off about the third one. I've been waiting on 5 with cautious optimism. Using the Wii U pad as the camera sounds great in theory.

From what I've heard it's still quite good, but not as good as the series' best efforts. It sounds like it's definitely still worth picking up, though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I wish all the success in the world to the Five Nights at Freddy's Guy

http://www.destructoid.com/five-nights-at-freddy-s-world-looks-strange-318439.phtml

Bless Scott Cawthon's heart, but I really wish he would take a course in graphic design or something. :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Having segments where you're always safe and segments were you're not takes away a lot of tension.

You could argue that this is supposed to be a metaphor for panic attacks. :iia:

Whether or not this makes for satisfying gameplay depends on your taste, but I thought it played into the narrative quite well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The thing that makes Outlast such a weak horror game in my opinion is that you only ever do two things in it. You're either running away from enemies or finding x amount of items to open the way to progress. The only way the game ever mixes this up is by having you do both at the same time (which is really obnoxious). There's nothing less scary than a horror game that has shown its entire hand already and for Outlast that moment comes about an hour in.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The Evil Within has a lot of really good stuff in it. You get a large and incredibly varied toolset for defending yourself, you get into a lot of really well-conceived fights and you go through a pretty good amount of interesting environments in the back half of the game. My biggest problem with the game is that it barely ever conveys how you're supposed to approach any given situation, and that's a big problem for a game that can go from stealth, to survival horror, to action horror to Uncharted-style setpiece in an instant. There were a lot of times where I put myself into an unwinnable situation because I wasted ammo on something I was supposed to run away from or didn't take time to set up traps in a wide-open combat arena before accidentally hitting the trigger for enemies to spawn in. It's game where you have to stumble into the right way to do something through deaths and trial-and-error. And that's really bad in my opinion, because there's nothing that takes me out of a horror game quite like being frustrated and confused.

It's a shame, because the building blocks for an A++ game are all there, they're just stacked together in a way that isn't very satisfying to go through.

(Also it runs like total butt on consoles, especially with the letterbox effect turned off. :mad:)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I don't remember who it was that recommended Stranger Things in here, but I'm watching it now and I'm having a blast, so thank you!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

I have a PS4 coming in next week. Besides Until Dawn, what other horror games should I check out.

It's rather slim pickings on PS4, unfortunately. The two best recommendations I can give you are Forbidden Siren (a PS2 remaster) and P.T. (a demo that isn't available any more for a game that got canned). :(

Alien: Isolation and Metro: Last Light are worthwhile pick-ups if you haven't played them on PC or last-gen consoles yet.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Deadly Premonition may be cheap-looking and poorly made, but it's extremely charming and unique. If you're looking for something a little different you could do a lot worse than Deadly Premonition.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I remember reading this interview around the time Whistleblower came out and it really drove home for me just how little these devs considered the implications of their writing.

quote:

FOGKNIGHT: Why an asylum was the setting of Outlast? There could have been more options so I am curious about that one.

DAVID: Well, for many reasons. At first, we wanted unpredictable enemies. By looking at some horror movies, we realized that the asylum is the perfect place for that. Criminally insane patients are unpredictable. They might hurt you and some might ignore you. Watch Asylum Blackout. J

And that's fine. It's not mandatory for a team of creatives to make something that dives deeper than the surface level or puts an entirely new spin on things. But Outlast and Whistleblower are both really bad in my opinion and that can be partially chalked up to just how rote and paint-by-numbers they are.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 5, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also omg horror is problematic!? :clutchespearls:

I would argue that most genuinely problematic horror media is forgotten about very quickly whereas a lot of the all-time classics of the genre(i.e. Frankenstein, Alien, Jacob's Ladder) were very progressive for their time.

e: There's a fine line between horror being used to explore a sensitive issue and exploiting that sensitive issue to instill a cheap sense of horror. Outlast stands all the way on the latter side of that line.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 5, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

One of my favourite things about Phantasmagoria 2 is that Trevor has an edge of the stereotypical effeminate gay man to him for most of the game, but once things start going down and he's in actual danger he drops it completely. The implication being that it's all just an act he's putting on as a self-defence mechanism. "Yeah I'm gay. Like, way gay." It's surprisingly pensive for a "shock" horror game from the 90s.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

boy are my arms tired posted:

actually i just realized i never saw or played phantasmagoria 1 and so i have no idea how it relates to 2

2 felt like we were introduced to curtis and crew in that game only so what happens in 1? horror aliens again but this time with other nerdy dude?

It's like a weird supernatural murder mystery set in an old castle/mansion. The two games have very little to do with each other apart from gameplay structure.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

With the Halloween sale, is The Evil Within worth 10$? What about the DLC? I remember hearing kind of mediocre things about it when it came out.

The Evil Within is a pretty cool Resident Evil 4-esque game. Definitely worth $10. Just make sure you play on easy mode unless you want to be totally brutalized. You get next to no resources on normal mode and up and it's really easy to get stuck in an unwinnable situation no matter how conservatively you try to play.

The game also plays rather fast and loose with cheap instant-kill deaths, so be wary of that!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The two watches. :popclap:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Silent Hill fans cannot catch one single solitary break.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Suddenly realizing that Silent Hill has now hit that Simpsons/Weezer continuum where it's sucked for way longer than it's ever been good.

Well, Weezer released their best album since Pinkerton this year so clearly we're in for a second Silent Hill golden age. :unsmith:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

This has been said in some capacity of every new Weezer album. I've since learned not to trust it.

OK Human is extremely good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dreadout 2 is really buggy, which makes it frustrating to play even if you would otherwise like it. Dreadout 1 is really solid.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Fear not horror games thread, I've found an upcoming release that will save the Halloween season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDggNqg7Tko

I saw the trailer for this a few days ago and had a nightmare about it the following night. If that's not a seal of approval I don't know what is. :patriot:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm angry about the Resident Evil/Fortnite thing but only because they made RE8 Chris look ugly as sin. :mad:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Let's GOOOOOOO :stoked:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The first time I saw the twin-headed monsters that walk around on their hands in Silent Hill 4 I drat near yelped. Silent Hill 4's monsters may not be thematically coherent but they're consistently off-putting in a way no other Silent Hill game quite lives up to, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

THQ looked at the Resident Evil 2 remake and said "we'd like that too, please."