Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

al-azad posted:

Open world and horror can and should go hand in hand, they just need to get their priorities straight. They need to stress that you're super vulnerable, that fighting enemies is a bad idea, and stress the importance of having secure shelter to keep out the raging hordes of locals. Abandoning your camp and running should be a viable and encouraged option.

I've seen some videos where the actual player is a little freaked out because the enemies would be standing in their periphery or stalking them through the forest instead of attacking. Unpredictable enemies is an element of horror games (and games in general) you don't ever see but it's an effective tool to scare the player.

I found Sir, You Are Being Hunted to be a pretty intense game. It's not scary but hearing the buzzing and whirring of a hunting party behind you or the ominous sound of an approaching balloon is enough to get my heartbeat racing.

I totally agree with you that when guns are in a horror game you absolutely need to be properly stalked/hunted to actually feel fear. Like Dead Space isn't any masterpiece, but having just played the 3rd one thats exactly where they fell down hard. They absolutely refused to build any tension into the game in terms of the enemy. Everything just popped out and ran at you like an Ork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

0 rows returned posted:

Maybe its just that I didn't play re4 enough but i always thought the controls were annoyingly unwieldy. You just felt so slow both running around and turning. I mean the shooting was fine but just basic movement was bad.

Could've been caused by a lovely ps2 controller or something else, but when i went back to play it after it was remastered on pc, I had the same issues.

They're Monster Hunter controls. Precise, but with huge recovery and winfup frames.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Steve existed solely to get Claire in poo poo and be an annoying little prick.

gently caress Steve. Claire's sidekick on her second Insane Corporate Prison Island was way better. (Rev2 was a good game)

I love that the intentional moral of Rev2 is that guns are great.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Night10194 posted:

And also that Barry Burton is one of the smartest characters in Resident Evil, for being the only one to ever bring a full combat load to a mission.

Just constantly screaming SHE-WESKER! over and over added at least 1/2 star to the game.

Ok. I just got the new RE7 DLC and is drat solid. I really like that 1/2 is pure action and the other is pure puzzling.

That the puzzle dlc is a huge homage to Misery is just great.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Bloodborne is obviously super Lovecraft inspired but it's also an action game where the most dangerous thing is you so

By the end of the game I was dual wielding a literal cannon and a long sword that transformed into a cloud strife sword.

But that game had some great cthuluian moments though.

The beginning with the pack of were villagers was just pitch perfect.

The part when you arrived in a new open area and started randomly taking damage. The only clue is a creepy red light from a castle tower's window.

It's not until much later in the level after you explore the castle that you discover it's a horrible monstrosity that's been caged and that's been staring at you the entire time you were outside, and that it's gaze itself was driving you mad.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Thanks to all thosr who recommended Anatomy. It's really one of the best indie walking sim horror games I've played in a long while. Got my heart pumping once it got going and didn't overstay its welcome.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I concur Doki Doki Literature Club is fantastic. It takes about an hour and a half to set up the game though, but after then it's balls out craziness and horror. Don't look up anything about it though. It's really easy to be spoiled.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bogart posted:

yeah. just play ANATOMY. no spoilers allowed

Anatomy is the S tier of janky indie horror games.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Yardbomb posted:

Evolve was real cool, but it was bogged down in 2K bullshit from birth to death.

This too, Evolve Stage 2 was a lot of fun and they had a ton of people playing, then they decided to axe Turtle Rock because the game wasn't magically making money.

Were the models for DLC/microtransactions as developed as today when Evolve came out? (Ie. A few popular models that don't piss people off too much, BFII notwithstanding)

It seems like Evolve was especially egregious and going against the grain even for its time.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Yardbomb posted:

Even if Catherine had all the rest of it's screwy bits fixed, the way it treats Erica pretty much put the game in the bin forever for me.

Vincent is just a piece of poo poo thru and thru. Like, every single ending was unbelievable to me because he's not a good person, likable, cool, or badass. I just could not empathize with him at all.

Still, it was worth playing the game with friends who were couples just to see exactly what questions created relationship drama.

I got personally stink eyed from an ex on the "Would you date a robot?". Two couples got into it serious on the "Have you ever cheated?" question, even from mere hesitation.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

al-azad posted:

The resi3 demo was tight but ahhhhhh I don’t know how I’ll feel about Nemesis. I can accept his speed and aggression, that was him in the original, but motherfucker can teleport and stun you with a scream and create super zombies that instantly trigger him to your position. Oh and his elbows hurt, you can be behind the dude when he uppercuts but his left elbow will jab you in the ribs on the windup. I do think he goes down faster than Mr X but if Nemesis is present the whole game then idk this poo poo might get annoying.

He does seem less relentless than Mr. X, but I don't know if that's the demo. A bunch of streamers just turned tail and instantly lost him.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wanna make a horror game where you're just a wrong person in the wrong place and did literally nothing wrong but that doesn't matter.

That's the Day of Atonement serious essentially. Walk to school on the same route every day? Well too bad cuz a ghost moved in Tuesday, you looked at it, and now you're hosed.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

WombatCyborg posted:

Yeah Rule Of Rose is ridiculously expensive. From an LP, it does look like a good if clunky game though. You sure you aren't thinking of Rumble Roses? That piece of poo poo belongs at that price range.

I bought Rule of Rose new on release and immediately traded it in to GameStop when I beat it. The combat is super bad, and the puzzles and objectives often vague and infuriating. The story is decent I guess? The tone and atmosphere is the best thing about the game which it absolutely nails.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bonaventure posted:

Until Dawn was great the first playthrough; after that you realize how on-rails everything is, how you get funneled into the main story without any chance for deviation, how the characters suddenly become basically mute when it's possible for them to die. And this is a game that encourages you to replay it and to pull at the strings and see it unravel. I would love a horror "decision tree" game that had, like, Detroit: Become Human's level of path branches and consequence. When I played that game I had Kara obey the orders of her owner and got her killed within the first 30 minutes. I reloaded the game once it became obvious that I had just locked myself out of 1/3 of the story, sure, but I admire the balls to allow a player to do that.

Man, despite some poo poo writing I've never seen a game as free form as Detroit. Ironically getting the "good " ending is by far the most boring. I played Connor as basically Terminator Cop and Markus as Terminator Rebel and it's a lot more fun at the end facing them off against each other.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

FreudianSlippers posted:

I never really understood Konami's reasoning on not going forward with Silent Hill's. "Yeah let's not make this super anticipated sequel to a beloved series that is guaranteed to make its money back and probably turn a decent profit internationally. Instead let's focus on a tiny marginal market of novelty arcade machines that will probably cost us a fortune to manufacture and maintain."
Is the chairman of the board a brain damaged orangutan or something?

People focus on the pachinko, but Konami also realized they could safely make far more money with gachas almost immediately vs Kojima's years long gamble.

There's a great video online explaining the turf war in Konami, but it's pretty simple. Kojima lost.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I'm very ambivalent about Bloomer Games making Silent Hill. Everything they do feels uninspired. At the very least they probably won't include garbage like enemies that try to roundhoud kick you like in Downpour.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
I'm playing Stasis after the last Mandalorgaming video and man does the puzzles suck. One of my biggest problems is that there's not enough context info to make sense of the puzzles. Just in general. No item descriptions. No reaction when you fail. Especially in sci fi where I'm not quite sure what anything does or what the rules are.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Busters posted:

Yeah, I was satisfied watching him play it rather than trying it myself. Seems like a lot more moon logic than he wanted to admit.

Ugh. The final puzzle is of course one that made me go "Wait, is that how this sci fi gadget works?" Just completely breaking it's own story rules.

One of the items you carry most of the game is your ID tag that you had to brutally remove from your own body. The ID tag triggers ship security but I guess not outside your body and in your inventory? Except the last puzzle has you tossing like a grenade to trick gun turrets so I don't even know

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

dogstile posted:

*sigh*

"What's bofa".

Bank of America. They did a reverse Bioware/FROM software and now are developing banking apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Man, if they released Honor Amongst Thieves after BG3 it probably would've done a lot better. Had a bunch of Oh poo poo, that's from the movie moments. Like the description for Speak to the Dead