Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The bummer about horror games is that while atmosphere and setting is great, the games that are going to sell the best are the ones that have the most potential for some rear end in a top hat on Youtube to scream and pretend to poo poo himself over. That usually requires jump scares.

I don't think we've seen a game that has found the right balance yet though Outlast came really close.

e: First I've heard of Pineview Drive but I'm getting an Alone in the Dark meets Myst vibe from it and I dig that. Let us know if it gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Brackhar posted:

While I agree with the assessment that you may need youtubers making GBS threads themselves these days, I don't think that inherently means you need jump scares. A strong atmosphere can get you a ton of the way. Check out this video from Amnesia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI3HICrmPkU. That's the type of reaction you want, but he was set off by really small things because the atmosphere was done so well.

Yeah this is great and the first "I'm scared video" ever iirc. It was probably genuine and TDD can actually be that scary. Unfortunately it started a trend and people feel the need to turn every scary game into four hours of this now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Morpheus posted:

The combination of this nightmarish inescapable apartment (which reminded me of The Room), the sound design, and the unknown

It took me a second to remember Silent Hill 4 and I really wish Tommy Wiseau got cast over Norman Reedus now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

http://io9.com/nightmare-video-game-turns-your-house-into-a-horror-mov-1701072844

I don't know how viable this could actually be but it sounds really cool if it gets funded.

quote:

As to how it works, Night Terrors uses your phone camera to make a map of your entire home and then uses augmented reality to place ghosts and demons on your phone and seemingly in your house (when you hold the camera just right). And that’s not all — the game will even scan things like art on your walls, so it can push the objects around and even drop them (on camera, of course), lending even more reality to this fantasy game. It’s crazy ambitious and insanely frightening.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sharzak posted:

I must be missing something here. Is there an actual game to this or does it just overlay ghosts on what you point your camera at?

Edit: after reading the article the article was about it kind of makes more sense. Apparently there's a girl to save.
I can't fathom this being actually scary.

Based on the video you have to actually, physically run from the ghosts. It's like Fatal Frame irl. I'm willing to give it a try if it gets funded but I'm skeptical enough to not throw any bux towards it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone checked out Layers of Fear? It looks pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxO6jxH4SdY

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah, I'll be backing that. Should make 700K pretty easily but stretch goals might be questionable.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WatermelonGun posted:

this is where the immersion comes in and you, the player, can get yourself wet

Anyway, Friday the 13th game sounds just delightful, and I'm hoping for a whole selection of sleeping bag-related murder moves.

My big wish is skins. Give me all the Jasons. Bag, human hulk, New Blood Zombie, Uber.

e: squinting through the stretch goals, old school skin pack and sleeping bag kills are both on there.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

King Vidiot posted:

I want to see a mode where one counselor is the killer and only they know who they are, and the other players have to figure it out. It'd basically be Trouble in Terrorist Town but at Camp Crystal Lake.

If the Kickstarter isn't met you can only play as Roy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You don't do poo poo in DbD except run or stalk.

You actually have multiple objectives/strats in this game. It looks way better and as long as you can make a group of friends (which you couldn't do in DbD for a long time, maybe still can't?) it will be fun for a bit.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the game is borderline playable already. There are a few glitches I've seen occur and the camera following still living players once you're dead needs work, but other than that I'm having more fun with this already than I did Dead by Daylight. Yes, I could see it getting stale if the new maps/Jasons/counselor perks don't add some flavor to the game, but seeing what the small team of devs (who clearly love the franchise) have done already gives me some hopes.

The biggest problem is that people don't read what stats do, so everyone is playing as the black girl because she has good speed/stam but not realizing her lack of composure is getting her bodied on one or two catches.

e: matchmaking is still kinda poo poo but this is obviously a stress test so it's excused

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 21, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

s.i.r.e. posted:

Living up to that username. The game is a dumpster fire.

Friday the 13th is really good but they need to fix the stamina issue, it regens way too slowly to the point where once you use it up you're probably never going to have a full bar again.

Everyone is playing as the black girl now but it's a mistake. Running isn't everything. There are also stamina perks you should be beelining your CP for.

At the same time I don't entirely disagree with you.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

al-azad posted:

The black character is the best runner you say :allears:

The other black character, who isn't in the game but has some kickstarter art, is an athlete as well. There's also a fat white nerd, a douchebag aryan, girl with big breasts, and an asian with glasses.

It's F13 as gently caress.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

BillBear posted:

The saddest part is, they made Mark the wheelchair guy from part II a kickstarter stretch goal and they didn't reach it.

Playing as Mark would have loving owned though you'll be completely hosed. Also the game is pretty enjoyable but the animations and character movement is something that leaves more to be desired. It's fun as hell being Jason.

Edit: Just looked, they also promised SP with bots as a stretch goal but that failed too, however it seems like the devs were forgiving and are adding it anyway, alongside other goals like the window kill. Maybe we'll get wheelchair guy after all?

They raised another 800K on their current crowdfunding site. Any of the stuff they missed could be DLC in the future.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 22, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm really, really, impressed by Painscreek Killings so far (other than it running very choppy on my rig). Putting things together or figuring out a combination is really rewarding when you don't have your hand held. Other than Obra Dinn are there any other games in this kind of "you're on your own, figure it out" genre?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

In terms of gameplay and puzzles or in not actually telling you what the story even is? If it's the former, then any adventure game made before 1995 or so.

This is the kind of poo poo I grew up on and why I love the genre in general. Your Kings Quests and Mysts and (to a much more obscure extent) Journeyman Projects. But those were much more fantastical (still enjoyable) and more obtuse. Killings so far hasn't had me solve a puzzle by handing a cat a comb covered in bubble gum or some poo poo.

al-azad posted:

I don't know if it's still available digitally but try to play Scratches. Keep a tab open to Universal Hint System because it's very much an old school adventure but it's a really good (and creepy) mystery game.

Scratches has one of my favorite twists in adventure games ever and I actually adapted (see: stole) a lot of it to run a tabletop pen and paper Call of Cthulhu game once upon a time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

I think the twist was that you're just hallucinating or dreaming all the spooky poo poo and the "monster" is just the former owner's mentally handicapped son who has been hiding out in the coal cellar all this time and really just wants to be left alone.

Yeah. It's a plot that would be in the X-Files or something.

Thanks! I went a little nuts during the black friday sale on adventure games but I'll add this to the queue.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So since no one is posting I'm gonna guess Sinking City is either extremely good or real bad. Almost certainly the latter.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Chev posted:

Feedback I have from reviews and friends is it's real bad but also really likeable. An interesting mess to wade through where you can see the parallel dimension ghost of the good game it could have been if you have eyes inside your brain.

This was Jim Sterling's review too. I love that kinda jank but I think I'll wait for a sale/Steam.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Every lovecraft game only remembering CoC and Innsmouth as stories are why these games stink and why games that are inspired by H.P. vs directly sourced are better (Eternal Darkness, Sunless S__, Darkest Dungeon, Night in the Woods, etc.)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I knew nothing about Gone Home going into it and I was on edge pretty much the entire time, especially when I suspected a grimdark suicide ending was coming.

Definitely one of my favorite gaming experiences ever and if someone is going to play it they need to go in blind. This conversation is why genres are limiting.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's not pure horror but if you like Twin Peaks/X-Files you should be playing Control yesterday.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Until Dawn works where MoM doesn't because of the expanded budget and thus expanded cast. The slasher movie feel allows you to gently caress up and lose someone and be okay with it since your expectation is that all but one or two are dead meat anyway. In MoM you gently caress up and you're down 20-25% of your entire cast. It should cause the stakes to feel higher but it's just kind of annoying?

And Blair Witch feels like that company was making Layers of Fear 3 before they got the franchise rights and shoehorned some twig figures into the game. I guess there are some different endings maybe but I'm not going back to replay it. Is there a correct solution to carrying the dog or are you just meant to walk around slowly and loop until the game says so?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blockhouse posted:

That's not really how this series works.

Like the time loop bullshit and the lanky creature in the house are explicitly from the 2016 movie

The game is not "oh no it's entirely in the protagonist's head all along!"

Even in the text of the game, there are facing the corner pictures which is explicitly Blair Witch MO.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blockhouse posted:

I watched Scary Game Squad play through the recent Beast Inside demo and the only memorable part of it to me was when you find the corpse of JAMES WILKES BOOTH, JOHN WILKES BOOTH'S (fictional) BROTHER directly next a letter he wrote but never sent that establishes this fact

And then he drops the heated gamer moment word in that letter. Game has edge, yo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

rudecyrus posted:

After watching a playthrough of The Beast Inside, all I can say is the twist of "it was YOU all along" needs to die, quick.

I returned Blair Witch 30 minutes in cause the writing was on the wall in 400 font.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Painscreek’s ending is tonally awkward but it’s also the first game to genuinely surprise me in a while.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

al-azad posted:

My favorite thing is selecting a picture to take for the ending. I got the killer and the ghost in the frame so I'm imagining this newspaper headline with a dead woman and literal axe murderer under the headline THE TRUTH REVEALED

Yeah my story was almost certainly discredited by my picture that claims to show proof of ghosties.

Another question about Painscreek When did you realize the game was tilting spooky? Other than the knock in the mansion when you’re exploring it, I didn’t get any idea until I discovered the abandoned house which, for me, was very late in the game as seemingly I went very backwards. That knock kept me on edge all game and exploring the hospital was terrifying. I imagine the game would have been a little less of an experience I loved if I saw the Ringu rear end ghost model earlier.

Lastly is there a game similar to Painscreek out there? I’ve played Dead Secret Circle and enjoyed it (never got back to the sequel after maybe halfway?) and played Kona and wish I could refund it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

al-azad posted:

I must've missed the mansion knock. The first time you go to the mansion you can see the ghost women behind the locked bars leading to the well. She's far away enough to be hard to notice but visiting the mansion is like the first thing you do and the place is supposed to be abandoned so seeing a clearly human model was very surprising.

Yeah I completely missed that and her chilling on the hospital until my second run.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’ll be a voice of dissent: I think this might be better than the re2make. Jill feels like more of a character than Leon or Claire ever did and the great set pieces built around Die Hard Jill are a joy to play through.

The opening five minutes of this game slap harder than anything I’ve played in a long time. And the bones of Raccoon feel lived in so I never got tired of sprinting through them to get away from that giant fucker oh god why is he so fast.

*disclosure: I have not totally finished the game but I’m right at the end

I don’t think we need a RE4make but I’d take a good version of Zero or Veronica or honestly a full retcon of 5 and 6 into playable games.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2020

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

I won't disagree that Jill has a lot of personality in this game, but I would really like to know why you think that Leon and Claire don't. They're really well-differentiated and have tons and tons of dialogue (both plot and incidental) that goes to great lengths to establish their personalities and characters. Not trying to start an argument about it, just genuinely curious.

Claire was better cause at least she had a scene that felt like there was some genuine emotion (Sherry/Irons) but both Leon and Claire's main character traits seemed to be "being sad about their B-character." I didn't care a ton cause the game was good and the "this is fine" tone they both had about driving into a mini apocalypse was completely on par with writing for a Resident Evil character. Which is to say, bad.

Weirdly the characters that got the most help in being a character in Re2Make was the lady Birkin and Kendo. Great side characters all up and down 2.

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Is Jill also the daughter of a cat burglar or was that some S.D Perry background/ something I imagined?

I don't know if it's canon but it's absolutely in those books.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair enough. Gotta admit, though, if that is the problem you had with it, I'm not sure why you would say that Jill is better. She's definitely also very much a B-
movie character who just takes things in stride and makes quips about it as she goes.

Bonaventure posted:

'bitch can't even swim' is hilarious and not ridiculously bland, at least

Her being a one-liner pulp B-movie character works better here because the game itself is pulpier. The intro really sets up that Jill is horror John McClane who is going to take an absolute rear end kicking and keep coming. They have to establish that or things like taking a rocket to the chest and not dying are, somehow, even more unbelievable. Fortunately it doesn't dip into punching boulders territory but I would prefer it not go much farther than this, thanks.

Speaking of the intro just the concept of Jill having some PTSD from the Spencer Mansion is more character than Leon or Claire ever get. Despite that and despite her knowing she needs to get the hell out of dodge she's still got too much cop mode in her and regularly makes bad but selfless decisions. It shows a direct contrast to the mercs and puts Carlos neatly between, where he was just a stump in original from what I can remember.

Now, I'll grant that that maybe my memory is causing me to be a little unfair to Re2make because I didn't play it on release and ended up playing CONTROL immediately after followed by Disco Elysium and those games are eye-deep in character and writing. Nothing against the game, I got more than what I wanted out of it and you throw in Sekiro and I've mentioned my four favorite games of last year. They've really exceeded my expectations and they're concentrated doses of enjoyable action horror that I can dip back into for three hours at a time and get a full experience.

A++ would remake again

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Painscreek and Obra Dinn are two of the only games I felt really rewarded upon finishing because you are truly doing the work.

Not sure how many other games out there do that. I started Heavens Vault and that ain’t it, had Her Story sitting around for a while but haven’t had the urge to jump on. I know people come in and ask for Painscreek like games all the time but if they’re out there and I’m missing them please let know.

Note: Kona is supposed to be one but it has a bug that can soft lock you about halfway through and that sucked so I’ve never gone back.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not that it’s necessarily horror though they both deal with slowly building dread as you approach a final area, but Tacoma and Gone Home both worked amazingly well for me. Then again I’m a queer commie.

You should definitely get either on sale though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I’m glad my group of four played the first round just jumping in with no tutorial because after bumbling around like assholes for like ten minutes, getting a picture of some dirty water and a handprint I went out to the truck to try to figure out what to do. I went to radio to them that their sanity was low but all I got was static before hearing “[friend] is dead I’m out of here!” And then “why is the front door locked?” Which I had just gone out of and left open maybe a minute ago. I hurry to let the other teammates out before they get got. We escaped to collect that sweet sweet 30 bux which will not go towards burying our dear friend.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll play with goons. Seems like a fun Coronaween month game.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not exactly a horror game at all but I know a lot of us liked Painscreek Killings and want games in that free form mystery solving mold so if that sounds like you go buy Paradise Killer.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So as somebody without VR or much familiarity with the game, is it something that has voice recognition so you can “talk” to the ghosts, it sounds like?

Yes. Not only is there positional communication between the team but you can ask the ghost questions/taunt it

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Discendo Vox posted:

Co-op Goons Discord is now set up to support Phasmophobia with a dedicated LFG role, etc. It's always a question of getting a critical mass of frequent players, though, so please join if you're looking for regular co-op of any kind.

https://discord.gg/UUNqrwt

e: ignore i missed the authentication channel

weekly font fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Blockhouse posted:

The problem is Cenobites think solving a rubiks cube counts as consent

I think in two he says “it’s not hands that open the box it’s intent” or something when the doctor has one of his patients solve the box for him.