Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just a minor nitpick on The Last Express recommendation. While I agree that the LP is great, both because the way Olive Branch handles subtitles and the exploration of almost all the options that game gives the player (of which are many), the game translates non-English languages on it's own. Either that or my memory is faulty AND Olive Branch knows French, Arabic, Serbian, German and probably a few others.

Ignore all this, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

my dad posted:

The game only translates some conversations, and Olive branch found people who know these languages to translate the rest for him. I wanted to offer to translate the Serbian part, but someone beat me to it.

Well, ain't that an egg on my face. I stand corrected.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Seconding Wizardry. Wizardry IV is a strong contender for "hardest RPG of all times", and not because of the combat but because of the map layouts, traps and other shenanigans. I wasn't able to leave the first room of the game because I hadn't played any of the earlier Wizardry titles, and that's one of the easiest puzzles.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Che Delilas posted:

What I mean by that last is that I've found other Impossible LP's but they've all featured ridiculously fortunate starts. I'm talking about Abduction on day 3, Council mission before day 10 featuring a $150 + 5 engineer reward, medium ufo mission complete before day 15, which allows them to deploy four more satellites by the end of the first month. Also 3 out of their 4 starting soldiers have 75 aim on Not Created Equal, sure, why not.
I see you've watched this

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

axelsoar posted:

I'm looking for a good surreal/creepy LP in the vein of The Void (CannibalK9 did an excellent LP of this, the guy really knew when to let the game speak for itself and when to add his own touch)/ Yume Nikki / Silent Hill, preferably an informative style, no scare-cam.

DumbRodent has just finished the main run of Outlast, and he's taking a break beore tackling the DLC. His commentary is pretty low-key and unintrusive, to the point that sometimes it seems tht is the main character commenting o the situation, rather than the LPer.

axelsoar posted:

Also, looking for a narrative LP in like Avalon Code by Didja Redo, he took a game with a really interesting concept and a piss-poor execution and bland story, and gave it a great story.

Obvious recommendations are everything else from Didja Redo and Chewbot. I really like Academagia and Temple of Elemental Evil by Bobbin Threadbare.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Knights in the Nightmare is a bullet hell/RPG/strategy game where you control the sould of a dead king. It was made by Sting Entertainment (of Dept. Heaven series fame) and it's as weird, if not more, as the other games in the series. HaroldofTheRock is doing a great job LPing a unique game that's very hard to show properly, so go and watch.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostwoods posted:

Not exactly the freshest tip, but if anyone's looking for a low-key, engaging (and completed) LP of Dark Souls 2, I recommend GulBanana's series, here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqm5b5hwPRhrz5OX9twcbIdzuTZFLRiuZ

Fun stuff.

Does it get better? Because he has spent 5 minutes fighting 3 moles in chapter 2.

EDIT: Not wanting to sound like a jerk. It is a blind LP of Dark Souls, without much editing, and that doesn't seem very engaging.

VVVVVV

Thanks, I had missed that one.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 19, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Are there any good LPs of the original Half-Life around? Don't seem to be any on the archive.

Of course there are!*

*"Good" is subjective.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Is it Legie?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It's a... memorable game. :shrug:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Well, there's the CK2 tutorial LP thread, which has a fair share of different LPs with explanations and stuff, however, thanks to Paradox consistently changing the game in some fundamental way with every new DLC they bring out, people have eventually given up, and I believe all LPs there are out of date as of the Charlemagne DLC, not even mentioning Way of Life.

I (and many people who was reading the LP, I assume) have the pet theory that the Zoroastrian LP was what caused the changes to how factions (and the Zoroastrian faith) work, because that poo poo was ridiculous. Worth a read even if what Sorites did is no longer possible.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HaroldoftheRock is going through Knights in the Nightmare, a pretty weird game, which is a given that it's part of the Dpt. Heaven series. It's a bullet hell strategy RPG, as strange as that may sound. At this point we're halfway-ish through the game. Videos are usually 30 minutes or so, although some may reach 1 hour.

The OP is making a very good job with a difficult game, both mechanics an plot wise, with video recaps of the plot and very good pacing during the gameplay stages. Also he's chill as hell considering he's dodging bullets while talking strategy and explaining stuff.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know of a good (as in: no shouting at the camera, doing silly voices or reading every scrap of text, basic editing of boring parts, etc...) LP of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

E: To actually recommend something: Cool Ghosts' Subterfuge Diaries finished a few weeks back and they are loving fantastic. Subterfuge, if not familiar, is kind of a real-time mobile Diplomacy, very similar to Neptune's Pride. This particular game features 8 video game journalists playing it for the first time over the course of a week, and getting increasingly paranoid. The diaries are more about the players and what they're thinking and feeling than the mechanics of the game, appropriately for a betray-em-up, so if you're one of those people that irrationally hates Leigh Alexander it might not be for you. The entire thing is fascinating, funny and superbly well made, like most things Matt Lees does.

Double-edit: I'm pretty sure that the Matt Lees-Quintin Smith Cool Ghosts are not LP forums poster Cool Ghost. Probably. Maybe.

Considering their show/web/podcast thingie gets routinely mentioned in the boardgames thread, I doubt it.

Anyway, that playlist is very enjoyable, thanks for recommending it. I do want to get those guys playing a game of Dominions 4 with SA people, then they would learn what being a jerk truly means.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Genocyber is doing a very good one here, but it updates slowly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oops, wrong thread

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 29, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Drakengard 2

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm trying to watch Odin Sphere on the Internet Archive and the videos kinda stop in the middle and the reset to the beginning. Any idea why, or where can I find the LP otherwise?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

FutureFriend posted:

i wanna find some lps with some funny rear end people, would prefer group commentary and kind of some people outside of the general famous rear end SA people. don't really care what game it is either, i just want some goofs who are a bit more obscure and preferably on this forum.

I had a lot of fun with Sleeping Dogs .

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Is there any good and complete LP of Kingdom, either in SA or somewhere else?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Pierzak posted:

The usual reaction to his LPs is ":aaa: Didja redo the whole thing!?"

I still refuse to believe that Gazillonaire is a real game, and the entire LP isn't an elaborate prank.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Everyone should go an read Gond. It's short, sweet and full of puns.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Chip and Ironicus playing Metal Gear Rising

The Wonderful 101 is pretty similar.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'll probably pick up Spellforce 3 soon, and apparently having played the first one is helpful for some of the plot, even being a prequel. Any good LPs of it?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have a good LP of Stellaris

edit: sorry, should have specified: completed or close to completed.

Outside of SA, but I enjoyed Many a True Nerd's pre-2.0 run. The link is for the heavily-edited version, although the entire livestream is available. He's doing another one post 2.0.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've bounced off X3 several times, I suffer from Elder Scrolls syndrome and by the time all the recommended mods are in I'm tired of the thing. Any good LP of Albion Prelude? Not so interested in the stories, I just want to have something in the background to check occasionally and go "Hmn... now the LPer has 20 cruisers on their fleet and an automated merchant empire."

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Nalesh posted:

Any interesting CK2 vlp's around? I find that style of game real good for putting on my second screen while working. I'll also be up for other games in that style.

Out of SA, but Many a True Nerds Stellaris LP's are always fun. He edits out boring parts and he's enthusiastic without being annoying. He's got a couple Total War ones, too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Any good video LPs of Silent Hunter? Whatever one is the good one. 3, IIRC?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Is there any decent, finished, War of the Chosen LP around? Bonus points if the LPer is good at the game and explains their moves, but not necessarily an Impossible/ironman/self imposed challenges run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Long shot, but is there any good LP of Settlements out there? The premise of the game interests me, but I'm not buying into that UI without knowing more about the game.