Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Never been to Quebec but from knowing quite a few Quebecois all I know is that mozzarella-based poutine is almost invariably awful fake poo poo, if it's not farmer's curds and the greasiest gravy available go back to Wendy's (lol "poutine sauce")
e: I imagine I'm becoming vaguely familiar to a few, but I'm still new as poo poo and if everyone else is doing introductions...
I'm Calgarian as gently caress (born here to boot), I sperg all over about basically the worst cars ('80s GM, all the Mazda knockoffs Kia made before they got good when Hyundai bought them, and any non-hybrid Toyota that sucked) and I've got one of the worst cases of automotive ADD around. I was a tire guy for 7 years and now I'm a HD mechanic.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

Heh you think anything in Calgary would "get it together".

Also Hello Alberta AI I am an Alberta but I've never owned a truck before does this make me a real Alberta? :ohdear:

You must Truck to be an Alberta, but you do not need to own a truck to Truck.
(just drive like an rear end in a top hat and you'll be fine)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

I drive a 3-Series BMW (the 3 being the total contents of my peasant wallet to >5-Series drivers), do you really need to ask?

Most of the BMWs I see around these days are driven in a sensible manner, I think those assholes all traded their 3's and 5's in for bro-trucks.
Dodge Journeys though. Christ just about every one of those things I see ends up pulling some kind of jackass move.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

I chalk it up to the fumes from our Superior German Adhesives.

That would make sense, since "German Car Smell" is most prominent (at least to my nose) in the W163 Merc, and M-class drivers are invariably awful.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I remember when 92.9 was actually good... well other than that insufferable neocon redditor Roger and Greg's annoying creepy-guy schtick. But the playlist was halfway decent for the first 2-3 years.
CJSW has some great stuff but it gets way too, let's say eclectic for me to listen on a daily basis.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It's even been tough in certain situations to pick 'em up with a digital tuner though. My main hifi is a late-'80s Kenwood (known for their ability to pick up even the shittiest FM transmission with good clarity) and even with my huge fuckoff antenna it barely gets anything because that awful top40 station is right next to it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If I bought that thing I'd have to pull the hood around Pincher, the fire extinguisher would be empty by Nanton and there would be a smouldering crater somewhere near High River... and that's assuming I brought a trailer.
'80s cars just hate me though, I've accepted this.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

The worst part of them being legal is that you hear far too many cars clickety clacking down the street mid summer.

Actually they're only legal from October to April. Buuuut nobody really cares and I've never heard of it being enforced.
And tire tech has come to the point where you can generally get better grip out of a good studless winter tire anyway. I've run every winter tread Nokian put out between 2006 and 2012 (Kal employees get below-cost pricing on Nokian stuff, and I go through vehicles like socks) as well as a bunch of other stuff, and honestly the studs are just there to make noise. Dropping to a narrower size easily made triple the difference that studs made.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If a party gets weird enough that someone bets a human skull on a poker game, I'm pretty sure nobody remembered it the next day let alone 40 years later.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

The biggest problem with every cocksucking road west of the 22 is the god drat minivan full of people who slow down to gawk at things then speed up in the passing zones as if they're the only people in the god drat world.

Fixed.

The Smith-Dorrien is a nice drive too, but it doesn't really go anywhere except spray. And it's gravel so I always come home with a tan car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Heh, guess my Festiva got hit hard in the storm. Oh no what shall I do.
I was debating parting/scrapping it, I guess I'll decide its fate based on how bad the damage is.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I found my helmet when I was cleaning the Festiva out, and since then I've developed the uncontrollable urge to go slay some cones in my clumsy station wagon. There's still a bunch of CSCC AutoX events up, would anyone be up for that?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

and WE'RE ALL ANGRY ABOUT IT
I hope to someday get somebody so flustered that they pay money to make me a redtitle with an obvious typo in it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Trucks have had plugs like that since Christ was a cowboy, except with a regular male 110 plug behind the flap instead of some proprietary BS. It's usually set onto the panel under the driver's door too, so you're less likely to forget to unplug it and drag your extension cord down the road looking like a moron.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I was going to throw mine on this week (dragged them out of my dad's shed on Sunday), but I want to do my rear brakes at the same time and the only place with non-whitebox drums in stock is B2B. They're open the exact hours I work :argh:

Albino Squirrel posted:

...I should not be this excited about a station wagon.
Why shouldn't you be? Wagons are the best.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 29, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

So....hose heater, coolant gets toasty, but oil stays cool, and with the contact heater the oil gets toasty but the coolant stays frosty. Am I right to thing that having your coolant warm will get the oil warmer faster than the oil having to warm the block and coolant? Also, lately I've been checking out webasto and espar fuel fired heaters, those look like the cats rear end. I can pick one up on German ebay for about 300€ for one from a scrapped late model car. Sweetest thing is the units can be set up to turn on your heater fan once the coolant is warm, which gets your interior nice and comfy. Way, way more complicated and expensive than an electric setup though, with a side of potential to set something on fire.

Modern fuel-fired Webastos/Espars are actually really drat safe when installed properly, but they're an absolute oval office to install in a car. And they need some maintenance to work well on the long term.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That's the one I have. Does what it says on the tin, not much else to say about it.
Don't leave it plugged in all the time though, OBD ports are on unswitched power so I have wrecked a battery with it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I haven't measured it, but I can't see it drawing a ton of power. The only reason I killed that battery is it was sitting for 3 months with the car stationary, and while the battery probably would have survived even at that point had I charged it, it was just discharged enough to freeze at the first cold snap we got. Plus it was a cheapshit battery.
(hell, I had it constantly plugged into the Vibe for a few months prior to putting it into the Kia and forgetting about it, but I DD that car so it never caused an issue)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 20, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That would make us a pilonidal cyst I guess?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't like ST205s and I don't like RHD cars but I'd almost throw a cheap bid down on one of those Celicas just for shits and giggles. Is their online bidding system decent?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Meh, if it goes particularly high over reserve it's not going to be a [i]great[i] flip. The market on those things is so saturated I'm starting to think about that gen's GT-S, just because they're getting so cheap.
That being said, there's also lots of 1ZZs in the yards these days for that reason.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

I was laughing my rear end off driving home down barlow onto 17th SE and me and about five other cars were held up at a light as a civic struggled to get up a 10 degree hill and nearly slipped back into the car behind it. Never change Forest Lawn...

I saw a lineup of cars on my way home taking turns trying to make it up the barely noticeable incline (a little less than that bit of Barlow I'd guess) of 39th street SE, off Memorial. loving :lol:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Military gear doesn't generally need to go fast (highway speeds are extremely dangerous in unknown terrain), so it's usually underpowered in comparison to a passenger vehicle and geared very short to compensate. Plus engines are generally derated in these applications to increase service life in the severe conditions they're designed to operate under.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I ran my Buick on that skag free PnP gas for the entire duration of my employment there. Olds 307 gave zero fucks, but I always made sure to fill up after they drained the water off. :unsmigghh:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Bajaha posted:

Canadian tire has that in the smaller tap and die set, the bigger set surprisingly is missing it.

And guess which one I have...
Like really. They have loving machine screw taps in that set (two of which I've broken already) but the only 12mm is 1.75. (and the Kia rocks both 1.25 and 1.5, but not a 1.75 in sight)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Auto value is all kinds of useless, and I question how they're still in business.
They're crazy cheap for certain stuff (radiators come to mind) and the guys at the Hubalta store know their poo poo (32nd is good too but it's so tiny they don't often have my poo poo in stock) and the return policy is nearly as forgiving as Pick-n-Pull's.
And now that Parts Unlimited is gone (ok they're still there as WSI or w/e, but most if not all of the old crew quit) Mundy's B2B is basically the only other game in town (unless you're a fan of Napa, I'm not crazy about them except the Airdrie store).
I mean I've been using Rock for goddamn years and they're my #1 go-to, but if I need something RFN Auto Value is always my first stop.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 21, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Babylon Qithara in Sunridge is the best.
Uncle Moe's on Edmonton Trail is also worth mentioning because they're so drat fast. I've never spent more than 3 minutes in that place.
I've been making my own a lot lately too, since an old roommate left a ~30lb spit of the stuff behind when he moved out.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the OOP is the only one taken even remotely seriously. When my apprenticeship is done I'll be able to sign insurance inspections, and I'm not even an automotive tech.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Let me know when I can come by with the forms.

It's gonna be a while since my shop's last service manager royally hosed me on my blue book. Most of my classmates from the first round of school are 4th years (or just finishing third) now, I just hit 2nd back in January :smith:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Yep, 6.0. I don't really want to mess with it, I just want a reliable hunting vehicle I can take to the mountains with confidence. I'm told these are pretty solid set-ups in stock form.

I've got enough project vehicle on the go as it is :v:

My service truck had that powertrain. drat solid. Don't pressure wash the floor on an 03-07 though (assuming it's a rubber floor). The 99-02s were fine with it but the DBW ones have a little box by the kick panel that hates to get wet.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

It is a rubber floor, good to know. Would mopping work better? Less over spray/mist that way I guess.
I didn't have enough time in the '03 to devise a great non-powerwash cleaning method (8 months in the '03 vs. 3 years in the '00, plus I hated the '03 so I rarely cleaned it beyond the bare minimum)
Mopping wouldn't hurt it, but the texture of the rubber they used loves to build up dirt and doesn't let it go easily. I'm thinking a household scrub brush would work well?
e: on the topic of fuel economy, my '00 went as low as 4MPG, I actually tracked it on Fuelly for a bit. But that's running a compressor off the LQ4's belt drive for several hours a day not going anywhere, plus all the extra weight from the tools, air system and rubber it lugged around for all the time it was going somewhere. But they also took that weight really well and rarely felt sluggish unless we started pushing the envelope on the number of tires the truck could fit in the back.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 13, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

Just FYI my 2001 Kenworth 14L Cummins averaged better than 4mpg. That's with a loaded weight of over 100,000lbs.

Like I said, the compressor ran for several hours a day, off the LQ4, at 2k rpm any time the pressure dropped below 120psi. Not representative of normal pickup truck use.
It was awesome for me, because we got all our fuel from Shell and were able to collect Air Miles on the fill-ups.

Powershift posted:

Lolwtf

Anybody want pics of anything

gently caress me, that's not far from the invoice price on my brother's Rubicon.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

Hypothetically speaking, Mr. Mayor, if the rest of us AB goons formed a construction company, would you be able to use your influence to secure us some sweet, no-bid contracts?

Nah man, Dalroy needs a police force so we can all drive interceptors.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 18, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

I cannot, in good conscience, say a single bad word about a car that looks like THAT in THAT COLOUR :swoon:

It's a fantastic looking car, but that's got to be the worst victim of 5MPH bumpers I have ever seen.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Adblock started allowing some ads through due to money changing hands.

Everyone keeps saying that, but I've still never seen AdBlock leak an ad. Just buckets and buckets of RAM.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah it's still blocking 100% of YouTube ads for me as well. Weird, maybe it's failing to update to the tainted version? That would explain its insane memory usage, since that was a much bigger problem in older versions.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I found the Target closeouts to be pretty lame. Most everything was still on par with or only slightly cheaper than paying full pop somewhere else.
I was actually in the market for a TV right when the sale started, and the only decent deals were on display units under 40". The rest was still cheaper at Best Buy. Visions' "WE BOUGHT ALL OF TARGET'S WAREOUSE STOCK BLOWOUT SALE!!!1" was pretty hilarious too, considering 90% of the stuff they advertised was actually stuff Target never even stocked. And everything was also still cheaper at BB.
Wound up with a discontinued LG 60" LED/VA for about the cost of an equivalent plasma, can you guess where?
Also when Zellers was closing out one store had a shitpile of OE PS2 memory cards for like a buck a piece, could have made a decent little profit on eBay or something but gently caress trying to deal with a few dozen ebay buyers simultaneously.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 3, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Glad that story had a non-terrible ending for you. :unsmith:
'Cause reading that shadetree garage post made me wince so hard my toes took half an hour to uncurl. I need to sell a car in the same price bracket soon and I'm really not looking forward to it after hearing about all that BS you went through.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

So who's up for a wrenching party / BBQ / campfire at my place this spring. Maybe a weekend late April?

Count me in. I'd like to see an ABAI meet actually materialize since we propose them on a semi-regular basis but they don't seem to get past that point for one reason or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

25th works for me. Granted I don't have any weekend plans in the near future (beyond the random crap I can do whenever) so just about any weekend prior to June works for me.