Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I mocked my cousins in Calgary and in-laws in Edmonton.

NE Ontario's going to get a blizzard by the weekend isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Powershift posted:

Not this weekend, but i hope you weren't planning on leaving your house between november september and let's say....may.

edit:

I work from home, so I'm good. The wife may have a worse time though :P
Ah well, AWD and snow tires on the Venza, its really loving good on bad roads. Just need to get snows for my truck for when its really lovely out, then she could take it instead.
4 goddamn degrees, raining, and blowing like a mother-fucker out. gently caress this summer hard. Man.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's a much better idea than having a cord bouncing around in your engine bay all year round. Why doesn't everyone do that??

Lose the cover flap, get gunk in there, done. Cord comes out too easily, etc. I mean, its kind of cool, but with how much salt is used around Ontario that thing would be eaten in a year, tops.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Well played, Alberta. Well played. Skip SK and MB and most of Ontario, then nail us.

http://www.northernnews.ca/2014/09/17/say-it-aint-snow-ontario-communities-get-blast-of-winter-in-final-days-of-summer

Its snowing outside right now - melting when it hits, but, gently caress. The place above is only a few hours away.

I'm not done with summer. I still want to get out in the boat :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

We got it last week. Oh hey look at that, Ontario not giving a single poo poo about what happens in the west until it affects them. :colbert:

Hah, I cared then. And laughed at my in-laws, and now we're getting it :) Also, I'm originally from Manitoba, so I give more shits about the west than this dreary hellhole I live in (but the wifes got a great job here, so, yeah, stuck in Ontario).

Siochain
May 24, 2005

MrChips posted:

No Manitoba is the taint because they are between the rear end in a top hat and the dick.

You see because Ontario is the dick of the world :smuggo:

Being from Manitoba and now living in Ontario, this is mostly true.
Manitoba's more the forgotten zone that everyone ignores. But at least we're not Saskebush. loving Bunnyhugs. Its a hoodie, guys, its a loving hoodie.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I agree with you, being from Ontario & Alberta (born, grew up, respectively) but you don't have to convince me, you have to convince all of these people:

and they don't look very willing to listen to anyone who voluntarily chose to move to Onterrible.

Hahah. I actually don't mind Sask, had a lot of good times in Regina/Saskatoon. I honestly love pretty much everywhere in Canada, except Toronto. gently caress you Toronto. Most places have pretty cool people, and we've got so much gorgeous country. Best place I've been was Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. Nicest folks in the world, and some of the prettiest views ever.

And nobody knows how bunnyhug ~really~ started, but man is it ever a weird term hahah.

fake'ish edit - moved to Onterrible for wifes stupidly-good-paying job. If she can get one somewhere else, we'll probably leave in a year or two.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

UnFriendly Fire posted:

79.9 for premium. So good and yet so poo poo for my work.

My road has frozen into a lumpy mess that would work well as a moon rover testing ground. I'm guessing the current Strathcona county plan is to just let it melt by June.

Still 102.9 in NE Ontario, give me your cheap Albertan dino-juice :)

And our roads are horrible. So very, very horrible. So much glassy-ice.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

He can't, they need a few months to figure out what to do about the budget, lmbo.

Ontario on the whole seems to like him for some reason though. I cannot figure that out at all, I thought you guys used to at least be a moderate center type area back in the nineties. What happened?

Don't lump us northerners in with Southern Ontario. Everyone up here hates the piss out of Harper, but we have so few seats it almost doesn't matter. And the provincial gov't is no better. When Manitoba's roads are in better shape and better maintained, there's an issue.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Beats me, but those are Onterrible plates.

You can also tell from the lack of lifted trucks and the presence of a general odour of grinding poverty.

YRK = York Regional Police, so basically Toronto. Also hah, that was awesome. What an idiot.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

That is loving terrifying. Yeeeeesh. So good that they discovered it early, though.
Well, kind of early.
<shudders>
I'm going to be hiding in a corner here. Yech.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

jonathan posted:

He should bulldoze the house and turn it into an RC crawler course.

This is the proper, and best, answer. Mainly because I'm going to make a small one in my back yard this summer and need more ideas :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

slidebite posted:

Biggest load the Tacoma has taken so far, about 2500 lbs worth of industrial gearbox and associated doo-dads. Didn't really bring it down too bad and actually handled surprisingly well. Truck had literally 300KMs when I put this in and the guys at the plant were asking if I wanted a blanket or carpet down in the plastic bed so I wouldn't scratch it.

Also, remember to vote today people.. not that you could forget with all the robocalls for the past few weeks. :buddy:

Actually had the PC candidate herself come through our neighborhood last night campaigning and came to my door. She's a little worried and rightfully so.

Our riding is a bit of a unicorn in the far south in that it's actually got a pretty strong history of voting Liberal, only to recently go PC when the MLA crossed the floor a few years back.

Man I miss my old Taco. I love my new(er) Tundra, but gently caress the Tacoma was a goddamn amazing truck. I beat the piss out of mine, and she never failed me. Greatest little trucks ever (except for rust, oh lords, the rust)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Trade you. We were $1.10 back 2 months ago here in NE Ontario. I think its $1.20 right now, if not $1.24.
I love it, really.
I enjoy getting loving shafted.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Princess Auto's electric stuff is pretty suspect. I got some aux headlights for the VW from them and spent more time taking them apart and waterproofing them then I did installing.

Fixed that for you. I love Princess Auto, but man, their stuff is almost always crap. Not that its not worth buying for the odd-job tool here and there. Or stuff you are likely to lose (or someone else is). My dad/brother stock all the tractor toolboxes with Princess Auto stuff since its the most likely to get lost/go missing/etc.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

8ender posted:

What's the deal with newer pickups having such short beds? What the gently caress do you do with a bed barely larger than a kitchen stove?

I don't know poo poo about pickup trucks so I'm genuinely curious.

It still holds small things, but you have way more room inside the cab.
My 2011 Tundra Crewmax is super comfortable for 5 large adults. The bed is short, but with how tall the tailgate is I can still haul 8 foot boards. Or I just use my trailer.

I do honestly wish I had the larger bed, but you get a fullsize crewcab with a fullsize bed, suddenly your truck is 3000 feet long and can't park anywhere. I do horribly miss my 2000 Tacoma :( Man I loved that little truck.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

jonathan posted:

The long box crew cab is super handy, but you do need a strategy when parking. Its not bad in smaller cities, but I traveled to Vancouver with it a few months ago. LoL at underground condo parking. If I was able to leave depended on how the other cars were parked near me.

Took the Tundra to Ottawa. It was fine until downtown, aka 200 year plus old area. Streets are narrower, parking is tight, etc. That was painful.

I actually was going to get a Ford Supercrew longbox, but the wife veto'd it because it was so long she could never park it. I don't find them bad, but I grew up on a farm driving big trucks, so its not as bad for me. But I'll happily take my extra-comfortable room inside versus an extra foot of bed - our little utility trailer can haul everything the truck can't.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Truck talk: My Nissan Frontier has done exactly everything I have asked of it plus a little bit more. I can even park it comfortably in the underground parking next to BC Place. It is everything a person needs in a truck that doesn't have a 54' 5th wheel to haul or a 27' boat.

Having said that I hate trucks larger than a 1/2 ton unless there is a legit reason why you need it. But I can be unreasonable about this kind of thing, so grain of salt.

My tacoma was the same, honestly. But when it came time to get a new truck (in Salty-assed Ontario) I had my choices of:

a) Older used Tacoma/Ranger with horrible rust cancer, still 10k
b) Newer'ish used Tacoma for 23k
c) Same year Tundra for 27k with less miles, more room, and not a lot different gas mileage

I'd actual prefer a Tacoma/Frontier, but there's no Nissan's around here, and Tacoma's command a huuuuuuge premium (hunters and fishermen love the poo poo out of them).

Its large, its red, and its great, but I really do wish I could have found a Tacoma again for a reasonable price.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

You could take them to our many exciting ghost towns. Slung Blade and I found records of a place called Swastika, Alberta which disappeared off the map at some point in the 1950s (wonder why) and was dissolved.

Pfft. I still live 10 minutes or so from Swastika, Ontario. Still named that. They said FU Hitler during the war and refused to change it.

Also goddamnit guys I want to hit Alberta up again. I haven't been West since I moved East and I miss it :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Helped cook a pancake breakfast at the community hall yesterday morning.

Wandered around my neighbour's farm in the afternoon, shooting gophers.

Found a dead cow that slipped down the creek bank and couldn't right itself.

~Just Alberta Things~

I miss Manitoba for the same stuff. Replace neighbour with Cousin, but otherwise, yeah. gently caress :(

Onterrible sucks.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Yep. Same with Northern Alberta/Sask. Its really bad. My parents in Manitoba have had days my mom hasn't been able to go outside because her asthma gets wrecked by the smoke. Its brutal.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Just to throw 2 cents into here, a buddy works for Bison and really likes them, and they do (or at least have) brought people from overseas over. Usually just requires a "work for us for X hours/months/years/whatever, or pay back what we spent on you if you quit" type of clause. Might be worth a conversation!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

El Scotch posted:

The invisible hand isn't even giving a reach-around.

Invisible blue balls of the market?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

McTinkerson posted:

Anyone have any spare boxes?

If you need really good moving boxes, Home Depots, albeit not cheap, are fantastic. Solid as gently caress, and uniform in size.

We still have all the ones we bought, and they'll make it through another move easily.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Touaregs are great aside from the maintenance nightmares. I've heard some nightmare stories like changing the water pump requires pulling the engine.

Honestly if it'll haul it go for the tried and true 4runner with the Lexus engine.

Can confirm. Wife's workmate has one. Great machine when its working, but it has spent A LOT of time at the garage. She's been lucky that everything expensive (so far) has blown up under warranty. I think she's out of warranty and onto "the next time it breaks, it may get traded".

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Is it just me, or does everyone in the world outside of salesman hate the term skid steer?

Its all I grew up knowing as the term, its all I use. I mean, I thought it was the generic term for that kind of machine.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Then again gently caress the NDP for running a completely underwhelming election.

This. Tom's my man, but gently caress, he just...underwhelmed. I'm not sure how he managed to, but, yeah. Ah well, anyone but assharper.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Too bad their campaign wasn't.

Which is unfortunate. I was rooting for Orange (and my riding went Orange, but its Northern Ontario, we're the forgotten bastard children.)

Still happy with the results.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

slidebite posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/medicine-hat/tiger-truck-1984-nissan-4-x-4/1114914256?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

If this thing actually runs and the body is in half as good of shape as it looks, hell, it's worth it.

The Tiger wrap is just the icing on the cake.

e: Have fun reading about your favorite places to eat!
http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/707.asp

I would drive the poo poo out of that. But I'd need to rename myself Tony.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I want to set this up. What OBD dongle did you go with? Are you happy with Torque Pro, generally?

I grabbed one of these (was cheaper at the time).

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AXE6ROQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Works well. Torque pro is awesome (and fun), and was excellent for my long drive to Manitoba from NE Ontario. Communicates via bluetooth, and I've had zero issues with connecting to both my phone and tablet. Also came with pirated software which I didn't run.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Seriously how much does it cost to take the exam? I'm thinking it's probably less hassle to get licensed, do everything yourself then get a slice of the commission.

Quoting for Manitoba, but a friend did it. Its a few grand to get "certified", then your license is a yearly fee of a few grand as well. Its a scam the whole way down. But, with that being said, I've had great luck with realtors, so ymmv. I've only bought 2 houses and sold 1 though, so its been limited.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

slidebite posted:

Word of advice in case you are buying a car sight unseen from Ontario, get photos of underneath it. I've seen 3 year old Ontario cars with more rust than a 25 year old Alberta car, no joke.

Yes sweet gods this. You guys think you know salt, but you know nothing. Its loving stupid in this gods-forsaken lovely excuse of a province. They salt BARE loving PAVEMENT. When its +11 out. And we haven't had snow in a week, and none in the forecast.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

My uncle is a part-time snowplow driver for Milton, ON. I was talking to him last night and he explained that they salt only the intersections when it's above freezing. It's a pre-emptive thing, the intersections are obviously the most important places to keep ice-free if the temperature *might* drop overnight.

And if they did it when there was any chance of it mattering, I'd be slightly less annoyed. But nope, contractors out on the weekend, in stupidly-nice weather, salting every street.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

There's also https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm

They currently have 3 big water bombers in winnipeg, but the minimum bid is 2 million dollars.

poo poo, with the exchange rate, we could get one for 14" and one for Kastein and have them compete in a junkyard-wars style aerial assault mission!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

8ender posted:

Down to 78 cents in Ontario the other day. The highway is full of new Suburbans because the 2000's never happened and no one learned anything

Southern Ontario.

I'm still paying 100.9 up here. Yeah.
I'm 10 minutes off the #1 as well. I'm getting loving robbed.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

8ender posted:

That was a glorious time to have an economy car. Put a fiver in the Escort and I could go anywhere.

I drove a Geo Tracker in the mid-90's. I miss that gas tank. I think it was 35 or 40 litres. When I first got it, $20 was a full tank from coasting in on fumes. I miss those days :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

slidebite posted:

Well, any more than that it's basically worth it to just abandon it and throw away the money he paid for it and buy a new one from a local dealer which is (I think) somewhere in the $800ish range.

Hack together a ladder rack out of an old bedframe. If you can weld/have a friend that can weld, you can rig something up in an afternoon with $50 of scrap metal and a metal bedframe from the dump. I used one on my Taco for years, worked fantastic. You'd overhang the front/back, but you can strap it down well, and it will be legal. No longer than a canoe, anyways.

I can scratch up a drawing example if you need a better idea.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

slidebite posted:

I think I am picturing what you are saying and I like it. My biggest concern though would be the 6' or so that would be over the cab. I might be a little concerned it would bend without support closer to the front.

Close to that, yeah. The one I built was really, really ghetto. Square steel tubing as "legs" that just sat on the bed of the truck. Welded to an old bed frame at the top. To hold it down, I just used ratchet straps looped around the corners and attached them to the anchor points in the corners of the truck bed. It also went forward over the cab for extra support - we made little support legs with padding on the bottom to keep it from scratching the roof of the truck.

Please see my advanced super-CAD drawing here:

The red is the padding. The whole thing was only a foot or so shorter than the truck. If the awning is a little "floppy", get some long pieces of lumber and plastic moving wrap, bind it all together for support, then slap it on the rack.

Albeit you likely know what I mean, this is the kind of bedframe we used - standard metal one. Pulled the "legs" off of it. If it's built to support people having sex, a canoe or ladder or RV awning ain't nothing :P

It is seriously ghetto, but it worked amazingly well. I did up corner supports, tie downs, etc. since mine stayed on for a few years, but for a quick trip, as long as your welds are good, you'd be golden.

edited to not assault peoples tables

Siochain
May 24, 2005

slidebite posted:

I went on the wagon for 30 days back in November. Lost 10lbs without literally changing anything else in my diet or lifestyle. That lasted until Christmas.

However, I am positive if I were to lay off the booze and watched my sugars along with simple carbs I suspect it would be pretty dramatic.

I'm not a big anti-grain/carb person, but I found THIS BOOK to be fascinating.

e: I've done some googling and well known quacks like Mercola seem to be latching onto her book so that's making me think it might be too good to be true :(

Nah, there's a lot of validity to it. Problem is, like everything, people take what works for ~some~, and figure it must be true for ~all~. Wife and I went keto (or, well, just low carb - less than 50g/day for her, less than 30g/day for me) last spring. We both lost a ton of weight. We're back eating a little more than that (winter gets long and you run out of non-carby comfort foods), and haven't put back on more than mayyyyybe 5lbs each (if that). We're planning on getting pregnant soon, so we need to switch back to a more balanced diet, since there's just no good research on whether low-carb is safe during pregnancy or not. I think the biggest thing is that what we're eating is mostly whole-grain, not-overly-processed, and we're keeping portions down. Lots of butter and meat, lots of veggies, minimal starchy carbs. We have bread every now and then, we just make sure its whole-grain small-bakery without a bunch of added crap. Same with pasta. We don't touch rice much, but we'll see what we can find for "healthier" rice if we need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Powershift posted:

It was 30 degrees a couple days ago, and now it's snowing. Fuckin NDP :argh:

loving liberals out here doing it to. 20 degrees down to -5 degrees rain snow sleet freezing rain bullshit.