Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

If you've played before in past tests and want to install with Steam and use this :steam: link: steam://run/227700
After installing, login and link your account.

If the link doesn't work here have a friend message you the :steam: link in Steam Chat and it should allow you to install.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

Also vehicles! And when I figure out how to get the passenger in the MGV I will be able to run Goons around too!

Squaded players should be able to get in.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I played this a lot way way back and knew some of you (probably only LK remembers me, heh) and even bought a founder package for the motorbike. I abandoned it because of the retarded item breakage system and the colossal incompetence of Red5. These current changes combined with an actual release, are loving flooring me. I'm going to give this poo poo another try!

I didn't see anything in the OP about wipes, etc. I'm assuming there will be one for launch? What about ancient early beta stuff like my pumpkin and tombstone and tiki torch?

All those goodie items are still there if you own them. :getin:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

LK, anyone who bought a founders package should get a special reward because we gave money to you like literal years early ;)

The motorbike was worth it though.

I heard teasing a TikiMGV may happen for founders.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my loving god this is so much better now, the interface, holy poo poo, why the gently caress couldn't they have planned and designed this better from the start.

The entire UI was iteration, this patch had the largest changes from what I've seen.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Pierson posted:

The client-side inventory is a goddamn revelation.

Hanachi did a drat good job with it.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Doublestep posted:

Can someone toss up a screen of the new UI? I played a couple of years ago and I kinda want to see how it changed.

Also, does the PvP continent have any sort of rallying system?

I don't have screenshots but Infektion is streaming right now, you can catch the new ui there: http://www.twitch.tv/infekt1on

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

FadedReality posted:

I tried to give this a quick go today and my old character loaded into a tutorial area with an intro cutscene. At the end of the area I got prompted to join what looked like a PVP queue and declined as I had to leave soon. This left me standing between two shuttles with no access to the UI or anything. Now what?

Part 2 of the intro mission, give the queue a moment and you'll be ferried off on the next part.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

SilentW posted:

How do I get a sweet-rear end hoverbike or something? I want to tool around in style and also not have to walk everywhere in my Dreadnaught.
(also applied to the army)

At 25 you get to craft one by following the Ares mission boards, you can buy one via the rb store and you can also get an Omnidyne bike from the Lotto Machine.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

randombattle posted:

I thought the rb store one was just a normal bike but not a sweet chopper like the founder packs.

RB Store bike is a purple and I believe you can win it from the Vending machine too.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Fina posted:

Why can't the game just cache the textures? The game has really lovely streaming and sometimes returning to an area will cause it to re-stream textures in again. I wish they had an option to just go ahead and bulk download the whole texture cache and be done with it.

Firefall caches textures once they are streamed in, if they keep re-streaming type ClearVTCache in the console as its a sign your cache didn't properly clear between versions.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 24, 2014

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Fina posted:

I'll give this a shot but is there a command to force a full download? It sucks to stand in front of a texture thinking "wow, this looks terrible. Is it going to keep streaming in? yep, yep, yep, nope, still blurry"

A few players found out how to download the entire vt cache in 2013 but be warned, the cache size was about 50 gigs then and its even larger now.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Nalin posted:

Sorry guys. I created an AllianceBot2 account for the overflow army and I ran into the same authentication issue that prevented the chat bot from working with my main account. Until the cause/workaround can be found, I'm afraid AllianceBot will be dead in the water for the time being. Ugh, it is so weird. My main and AllianceBot2 accounts get authentication errors, yet the original AllianceBot account works fine.

Might be a bug, try contacting Virgil and see whats up.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Fina posted:

Can you tell me why the hell Firefall still saves the texture cache on C:\ instead of the game folder.

I have a tiny rear end SSD that is only made to hold Windows itself and Firefall is making GBS threads all over it. Can I move that elsewhere?
You can change that in the firefall.ini located in: Steam/SteamApps/common/Firefall
Add
code:
[FilePaths]
WritePath= "<drive>:/path/to/cache/folder"

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Apple Craft posted:

I am in a similar situation and this is very annoying. I wouldn't even have realized what happened if it weren't for your post. So, thanks for the heads up.

I have no idea why users should be expected to keep an eagle eye on poo poo getting put into hidden folders, instead of files just simply going in the directory we actually request installed files to go into!

Its the folder set by Microsoft for applications to store local data outside of Program Files: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder
If you have an ssd you can actually move your appdata location to a standard hdd, I know samsung ssds comes with software that handles this automatically.

Also this thread has information related on how to properly install Windows on an SSD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454120&pagenumber=1

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

FunkyFlashman posted:

I just downloaded this and this game doesn't even let me make an account. I get the super helpful message of "unknown error" Yay.

Try making an account on the official site.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't know the texture streaming worked like this. This is loving horrible for people with limited monthly internet bandwidth caps, like me.

Is there ANY way to download the whole cache locally and just stick it on a hard drive?

Cache is about 50gb for new eden and every new patch recreates the cache.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

JonusRockweller posted:

Don't forget to check your emails, Red5 is giving out free RedBeans available until the 31st and you'll need to click it's big shiny link to get them. '92 Red Beans' is certainly a random number, unsure if that's a fixed number, random, or if something influences it.

Thats what that email was? Awesome, 175 Red Beans!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

992 Red beans: http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/free-red-beans-uhm-see-post-65-on-page-4.4506321/page-4#post-67973021
How much has L33T been spending on Firefall. :stare:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

Yesterday when I logged out it said that it would allow me to try out every additional frame tomorrow(i.e. today) for 24 hours, but that's not the case. Anyone know what's up?
Goto a battleframe Garage and click the battleframes button, from there you can unlock each frame trial.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 31, 2014

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Inimicul posted:

Also, holy gently caress shadows make a huge difference in how the game looks. I've always turned them off in games to improve frame rates since I didn't care about some fuzzy black bit under my dudes. I didn't know how much of a difference it made in this game. Never going back.
Enable particle and veg shadows too using the console making everything even better.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

So are they straight up bribing the playerbase? Are things really that hosed?

Lost and Found might be the item recovery process for lost or missing rewards.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

If your using a dread with a shotgun and you have explosive rounds you can bring on some serious pain.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Morglon posted:

Do not DO NOT ever spend red beans directly, turn them into credits then buy whatever you want on the exchange, poo poo is so much cheaper that way.

Also about that kill valley stuff I found some more spots that might work well and I took some screenshots I will upload when I can be arsed. I might also join mumble later so we can try some of those spots if I'm awake/sober/motivated/whatever.

Very few warpaints can only be bought with red beans, you're better off exchanging credits for those.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Ville Valo posted:

The army cap size is definitely something that's being looked into, but reminders about how important that is couldn't hurt. :)

Just give the GOON army a pass and increase it to 5000. Please?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Apple Craft posted:

I play on my TV and can't read the chat window at all, because it is so small. I consider this a bonus.

You can increase font size in Options -> Interface -> Chat.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Apple Craft posted:

No offense, because I know you are trying to help, but I think you missed the point there.

On the other hand, if you know a way to increase the font size of the other elements of the UI, I would definitely appreciate that.
I understood what you meant.
As for components besides what the only way is to increase font size is the scale each component on the grid.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Something is up with my dread. :devil:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOA36Q6JNqw

e: Thumping with Goons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq_h1AI40MA

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 4, 2014

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Madcosby posted:

Played a bit. Got to level 6, did the campaign mission 1. So, what else is there to do? I dont get my next campaign mission till 10. Is the only thing to do in game is job board stuff?

You can find open world ares missions (different from the job board), random giant creatures, and squad based content such as thumping with other players.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Trilin posted:

I heard your name dropped in one of the quests, but I forgot which. I remember seeing you around since early beta but is there a specific story to that reference?
Search around on the Firefall forum for my threads. ;)

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Lazer Monkey posted:

Paging the Lemon King, this is a interface issue in dire need of review.

If addons and scripts won't cut it, the infrastructure will have to be changed.

As others have said there is nothing I can do, best bet would be to make a topic or pm someone at R5 to allow users to connect to chat via an external program.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Sard posted:

To make sure no one ever makes this mistake again, and to link it a second time now that it's more fleshed out, here's my thread on the official forums with a ton of New You unlocks displayed that mostly can't be previewed. Make informed decisions when you play future warrior dress-up.

I have a very old addon somewhere that lets me browse all cosmetic accessories in the UI.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Sard posted:

Was that publically released? I'd have done terrible things for that before I bought all this stuff, and didn't see anything like it when I searched the forum.

Nope, the browser was spun off of SUN and the majority of the tech developed for SUN was used in REIGN.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Ralith posted:

But now that they've created a free market, their currency has been revalued for them, like it or not. The community obviously values red beans at <100 credits, and short of changing pricing in the red bean store or the real-money cost of red beans, that is not going to change.

It happens, if you look at Dota2's market you can see store items are sold for vastly less.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Now thats how you handle a broken item!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Ralith posted:

Haha, wow. That's going to piss off all the people who paid several tens of thousands of credits for the Celestial Wings.

It has a 15min cooldown and it looks different, good chance people won't be as pissed as you think.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

Was about to ask if it was time for a new thread/thread title. Guess not. :(

Neat changes. The headshot multiplier is going to make OWPVP fun or a royal pain. :gonk:

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Nalin posted:

When Grummz was kicked out of Red 5, he created Mek Entertainment. LemonKing left to work there. They are making some sort of Oculus Rift MMO or something. Last I heard from him he was happy there.

I still poke my head around Firefall every few months to see whats new and try the changes to Gameplay and UI.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Lazer Monkey posted:

So they removed battleframe stations and the ability swap frames at will without rolling a new char on pts, when asked about this phobos tells us that this is the plan going forward, one char - one frame because that is how all hte other mmos does it and the noobs had difficulty understanding the old system?!!

This might be the dealbreaker for me.

:ohdear:
Thats a much larger change than I previously heard about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Inimicul posted:

As much as I hated the combat lab when I first started in 0.6, I have to admit that it served a vital function that wasn't apparent until it was removed.

I liked the Combat Lab when it was first pushed. :smith:

• Locked thread