Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Ryuga Death posted:

How's the newest Wolfenstein game? I'm waiting for a bigger discount on the retail version so I don't have to download all 40 gigs of the game, but just curious about general impressions.

I finished it a couple of days ago and had lots of fun playing it. It's a really linear, but extremely pretty game, good story and characters for an FPS, being able to dual-wield almost all weapons is really satisfying. Imagine a set-piece campaign like CoD single player, but actually fun.
Of course it's not perfect, but had I bought it at full price, I still wouldn't have felt cheated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Deakul posted:

How the gently caress did you find this?

http://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=enemy+territory

Then use the standard command steam://install/appid on the demo and hope the files are still there.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Steam - Overall Enhancement UE

Does a couple things that Enhanced Steam doesn't, like bypass age checks, and lets you easily check the restrictions on the appid by clicking the number. You bring up that window by clicking on the price.

I just wanted to point out that Enhanced Steam does both bypass age check (auto pre-fill date and enter) + region/country prices:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

37th Chamber posted:

Valve's solution to making the clients browser faster was.... to ditch their browser entirely. It's now running chromium entirely now, including sandboxed processes. Pros, it's blazing fast compared to the old one, cons, using a fair bit more resources than before.

If this means internal flash like in Chrome, I can finally uninstall Adobe's stand alone flash player.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

pandaK posted:

So Steam keeps telling me I have a Dota 2 update to install no matter how many times I update and run it. It's just stuck in the downloading tab at 0% and keeps my Steam userbar icon at a permanent working status. What the hell is going on?
If you are running the beta, they pushed out an update last night that fixed some forced reloading or some poo poo like that.
Try and see if an update might fix it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Awesome! posted:

if he's the savior what is tecman?

Plenty of goons are way beyond 2000 games, and tecman is not even the one with most games.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Palpek posted:

Too many bundles. Could somebody make an effort post with current bundles + links? Thanks.

http://igbwiki.com/wiki/Indie_Game_Bundle_Wiki (+ list of Steam/Desura keys added after bundle is done)

http://www.epicbundle.com/

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 29, 2014

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Captain Swing posted:

Threep gave me something. How did he know that I love balls?

Captain Swing posted:

My doors are always open for Fart of Presto.

Don't ever stop doing these!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Jerusalem posted:

Oh yeah, those are awful and I don't know how the hell that got through to the final version of the game - especially since actually using those attacks in the game itself is incredibly easy and straightforward and nothing like the tutorial at all.
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the way the tutorial worked, were the actual attacks, and just before release they were thankfully replaced with what we got. They just never changed the tutorials.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
New bundles

Bundle Stars: Reboot Bundle 7.0 (€1.79)
Hydrophobia Prophecy
Cargo Commander
Runespell: Overture
Legendary
Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise + Master Level DLC
Velvet Assassin

Blink Bundle: Something For Everyone 2 ($4.99)
Riptide GP2
Continue?9876543210
Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action
WazHack
Vector
Real World Racing
The Maker's Eden
Vitrum
~* secret game *~

Humble Book Bundle
A lot of Star Trek comics

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Zombie Samurai posted:

How do I add DLC soundtracks to the Steam Music Player? I went into the settings and added the Payday 2 Soundtrack folder to the list, but the player still says it can't find anything.

Fixed in the latest beta just released.

General

• Fix regression that prevented public sharing of screenshots of non-Steam games
  • Fix install from retail disk for games with more than 4 DVDs, to use the data from all disks
  • Fix game banners not appearing in offline mode in grid view
  • Fix hang in grid view when hitting enter with no game selected
  • Allow Family View recovery email address to be specified in Big Picture Family View setup
  • Add "I forgot my PIN" link to Family View unlock dialogs if a recovery email has been set
  • Fix warning sound playing when unlocking Family View in desktop mode
  • Fix permissions issue preventing developers from uploading Workshop items to an app using the ISteamUGC interface, if they only had an auto-grant license for the app
  • Fix a rare crash on startup
  • Reduced energy usage when running in the background
In-Home Streaming
  • Added support for AMD VCE hardware encoding of D3D games. This is supported with the latest AMD drivers on the following video cards: Radeon HD 79xx, Radeon HD 78xx, Radeon HD 77xx, R9 295x, R9 290x/290, R9 280x/280, R9 270x/270, R7 265, R7 260x/260, R7 250x. To enable it, go to the remote computer and enable hardware encoding in the advanced host options.
  • Added support for NVIDIA ShadowPlay, which enables hardware accelerated OpenGL capture. To enable it, go to the remote computer, enable ShadowPlay in the GeForce Experience and go to Steam and enable hardware encoding in the advanced host options.
  • Added support for streaming from Linux hosts
Steam Music Beta
  • Scanning for music inside Steam directories
  • Music Queue is persistent between sessions, and gets loaded after a restart of Steam
  • Fixing crash during scanning, when the artist name is the empty string
  • User interface improvements

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Palpek posted:

They always existed and were always like that. Have you never seen the 'Recommended for you' section? It's the exact same algorithm that won't change.

Except for the fact that you can now actively go in and say "Not Interested" to games it recommends.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Awesome! posted:

that doesn't change the recommendations it generates for you in any way though other than hiding that one game.

Perhaps it doesn't generate new recommendations on the fly, but uses a queued up system, and only rebuilds it once an hour?
Perhaps it only generates new recommendations after you have made X number of Wishlist/Not Interested marks?

No one here really knows, and it might just be that they only collect data right now and implement a real recommendation system later.

Or it could be that gaben is just laughing at all the rage being generated on the forums while he swims around in his Scrooge McDuck money vault v:shobon:v

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Awesome! posted:

no they straight up tell you on the info pages for the new stuff that hitting "not interested" doesn't change the recommendations in any way

:laffo: Fair enough

Also, for the people who bought the Watch_Dogs season pass, the T-Bone DLC, Bad Blood, is now available to play.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

The Machinima Man posted:

There should be a place in the OP for listing a couple really good curators.

One of the curators I follow, is forum goon CueZero's Cue Review: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6857352-Cue-Review/

He plays a poo poo load of games, writes really good Steam reviews and always have interesting things to say about the games - good and bad.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Unlucky7 posted:

Can someone explain the Wolfenstein New Order tech to me? I month ago I tried upgrading my GTX 560Ti to a 760. Now, the 560 Ti is a great little card, but in that game it struggled whenever there was a battle in a wide open space. Upgrading the video card did not help at all. I was disappointed at the time, as that was kinda my frame of reference, so I decided to return it.

Tonight, I got a GTX 970. Again, it did not help in the Wolfenstein problem area. But then I turned on Shadow of Mordor.

Before, it handled high settings but at 30 fps. After, turned up all the settings to max or near max, and it ran like absolute butter.

Could CPU be a bottleneck for Wolfenstein? I have a i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz.

I ran it perfectly fine on a GTX 560ti too, but with an i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz with 8 GB RAM. I never noticed any lag and just ran it with whatever settings the game suggested.

iuvian posted:

The i7 920 @ 2.66 GHz is really ancient, it was released in 2008. It wouldn't surprise me if it choked during a few scenes in New Order that hit the CPU.

Yeah, a bit of choking here and there could probably happen, but as far as I can read from this wiki article, there's really not that big of a difference between the 8xx and 9xx series.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

triplexpac posted:

Is The Golf Club the only golf sim on Steam?

Vertiginous Golf is in early access and just added online multiplayer.
It's probably not what you are looking for, but check it out anyway if you feel the need to swing your club around balls.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Dragon Age: Origins is free on Origin
https://www.origin.com/store/buy/dragon-age-1/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 8, 2014

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I'm perfectly fine with people being credited for the game they have been a part of, but not being able to skip a 30-40 minute credit roll is just stupid and makes no sense at all.
Why do I need to watch who was the personal assistant for the localization manager in Hungary, the junior accountant at Ubisoft HQ or see the names of the countless individuals who came from 3rd party tool makers, not to mention the endless list of names of babies being born during production.

Make it completely skippable, add a FF and RW for when voice actors and music credits or place the full credits in the Extras section and only have leads from the primary team in the main credits.
No HR department are going to play through a game to watch and confirm your CV from each game anyway.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Pierzak posted:

Wait, so it's actually unskippable as in "cannot exit to main menu/save new game+", not only for maniacs who want a special achievement for watching a post-credits cameo?

Yeah, at least they could throw in a "A spent 30 minutes watching the credits and all I got was this crappy achievement" achievement like some games do.
Some of the games do let you exit to menu, but I believe it was on oth the earlier AC games that didn't have a savepoint until after the credits had shown, so if you wanted to try and 100% the game, you'd have to play the endgame again, watch the full credits and only then were you allowed to roam around.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

marshmonkey posted:

Our fun little arcade / snake / RPG game Nimble Quest is 90% off until Halloween. That comes out to 50 cents! http://store.steampowered.com/app/259780/

I just checked it out and I definitely wasn't expecting having as much fun as I did, playing a snake game.
50 cents is an awesome price and there are cards too.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What system is he trying to fool? I thought this was because his game released a couple hours late.

Greenlight:

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, it's that poo poo game I spent way too much effort trying to debate why it should not be allowed anywhere near Steam like two years ago during Greenlight's heyday.

Among many retarded attempts at being Phil Fish, this guy knew he wasn't going to get his game on Steam during the period getting greenlit actually meant something, so he sought after a publisher to get around Greenlight in exchange for a hefty permanent fee over the game's profits, because bad decisions amirite. Valve cockblocked this in an attempt to prevent other indies from following their example only for this Mike guy to go and start hurling all sorts of insults and abuse at Valve until Gamasutra got involved and started writing dumb articles about how Greenlight was so unfair a system and look how poorly they were treating this fine gentleman. Then loving TotalBiscuit started white knighting this guy until Valve eventually got pressured into putting the stupid game on Steam. You can thank Paranautical Activity in part for the poo poo flood of garbage getting on Steam these days, since shortly after Valve stopped paying attention to what was getting through.

Also, a Kickstarter, a few indie bundles, and nearly two years of early access resulted in this garbage the guy thinks is high art. The Dunning-Kruger is strong on this one.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Mechathief posted:

So, a new beta update window just popped up and I clicked OK to let it update and... now Steam can't connect to the network anymore? Anyone else getting this?

No problem reconnecting after updating the beta here.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Malek posted:

And so on. Either the dev is lying or groupees jumped the gun on them. Either way, the dev should have requested a full written contract (e-mail or not) before agreeing just verbally and saying "OK."

I think you skipped over some:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/327260/discussions/0/619569340994222690/#c619569341040776726

quote:

I have forwarded you the email from Christian where he asked specifically if you were ok with providing Steam keys and the reply was yes. If you misunderstood, well ok, but to suggest we did something wrong here is simply unfair. That said, we appreciate you agreeing to provide Steam keys to supporters of the bundle and the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/327260/discussions/0/619569340994222690/#c619569341040776726

Groupees posted:

It's tough for everyone, and we all make mistakes. If you make a mistake, own it and don't put it on others. That's not right. You were told about the banner, specifically, and you said that was fine and agreed to give Steam keys. That's all in emails. Also, post promotion, we contacted you multiple times about the Steam issue and you never replied to any of the emails, never suggested you did not understand or attempt to address this, rather you simply ignored the emails. And now, in a public forum, you post this nonsense, intimating that we did something wrong here when in fact we did no such thing. Sorry, but that's not ok. Our community supported you, and whether you understand it or not, your presence on Steam is a huge opportunity over time for which you should be grateful and focusing on that. I would strongly encourage you to discontinue replying in the manner that you have. It's unfair, unseemly and unproductive. Focus your energies on your game and future games. That's what everyone would like to see.

Seems like they were actually asked if they wanted to give Steam keys.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Malek posted:

Also, on that argument, if Groupees sent him E-Mails asking and received no response, isn't it presumptuous of Groupees to think it implies "yes" at no response?
Absolutely, but as far as I can read, the dev actually gave the go ahead and only after the bundle was done did he not answer Groupees.

Anyway, it seems like he gave in and wants to fix the situation now, which I believe is the only way to put out the fire. He might even get some goodwill back if he sorts it out fast.

I'm still amazed at how many indie developers are messing up when it comes to bundles and keys. It's as if they live in a bubble and don't look at anything else but their game and do a bit research first. At least network around and talk to other indie devs about their experiences.
I guess they are just blinded by the fact that if they can get on Steam, they'll be "counting their stacks of money" as someone famously said.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Justin_Brett posted:

So is there any way to make Enhanced Steam show you the average worth of your undropped cards again? Seems like they took that feature out.
It's still there :confused:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

So I just received a completely random Steam key for The Road Redemption from the devs, on account that I seem like an influential Steam account holder. Which does make me worry that things aren't going well on their end of development that they have to ask individual users for goodwill and playtime. But then again, I do know I've gotten at least 20 people to play Payday 2, so maybe there is some merit to that. I actually thought the game might have been out of early access, on account that I don't even want to wade through the poo poo that is Steam's front page anymore, but it isn't. Then the rep and I had a nice ranty conversation about the Steam front page.

Hope The Road Redemption does turn out well, on account that I did enjoy Road Rash on the Playstation, and I kinda want to shotgun dudes that I can't catch up with like some horrific blue shell. If not, at least the devs seem like nice proactive people.
Fuuuuuuck

I got a friend request too, and since it wasn't one of those russian hidden-profile people, and you a friend of his too, I accepted it and chatted him up.
I asked politely what he wanted, if there was something I could help him with and he didn't answer or anything so I just removed him again.

I could have had a free game for my backlog...

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Zombie Samurai posted:

These weeklong deals are a god damned atrocity, and this is coming from someone who looks forward to them every Monday.

They listed Influent 8 times.
That's because of the way the developer made Influent.
Instead of following the games like Pinball FX2 does, where the main program is free, but basically useless, and all content is done via DLCs, the Influent developers made it so the first language is attached to the main program and you then have to buy the rest as DLCs.
Pretty drat stupid, and I can't even defend it as multiplatform issue, as both Android and iOS has in-app purchases for this exact thing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Xaris posted:

Anyone ever get into a funk where you have a bunch of stuff that you could play, but just don't really feel like it, can't decide on anything, or ADHD it back to the shelf after 10 minutes? Last game I actually sat down and played for awhile was Shadow of Mordor. Maybe I just don't have the patience for a game that doesn't absolutely captivate me right off the bat or maybe it's just the weather :shrug:

This is me every time I have just finished a game. When your backlog is massive it can be an almost overwhelming task to try and find something good to play. And if you also have a busy day at work/school and have a limited amount of free time to play games, it's frustrating to start a game only to find that it's really lovely.
So what I did was just accept that in my backlog there is a gigantic amount of turds and only a few gold nuggets: Install a few games (use Backloggery or Steam Completionist to select for you if you can't decide). If a game doesn't work for you withing 15-30 minutes, just uninstall, categorize it as a turd and never look back.
You'll then at least know there are less games in the backlog, won't feel guilty about not finishing games and have a larger chance of finding a good game to play again.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I finally got around to play some LEGO games and started out with LEGO Batman: The Videogame and had a blast.

How would you rate the LEGO games, either compared to each other or within groups like First Ones, Open World etc.?
Are there any DLCs that are essential for any of the games?

This goes for all that are on sale now, but also the Disney ones, that are not (ever?) on sale:
Batman
Batman 2
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Marvel Super Heroes
The LEGO Movie
Star Wars Saga
Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars
Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
Indiana Jones 2
Pirates of the Caribbean

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Drifter posted:

The lego games are literally all the same. If you're going to play more than one, I guess go for the Batman 2, Marvel, or Lord of the Rings.

They're all the EXACT same gameplay though.

It's totally fine as the kids friendly difficulty level suits me fine. I was just under the impression that some were better than others story-wise and that at some point they changed from rather linear platformers to open world platformers.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Deakul posted:

Heh, story wise?

The ones that have original stories are the super hero ones and they're just standard comic book stuff.
Story as in all the small cut scenes with Batman and Robin and all the villains were awesome. I'm not expecting The Old Man and the Sea or The Trial here.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
To be honest, these new Telltale "games" are really nothing more than extremely polished Visual Novels with a few quick time events thrown in.
I enjoyed both the first season of Walking Dead and Wolf, especially Dead had some really good writing, but I'll probably not get another one as they are just not that interesting compared to classic adventures in my opinion.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I can see why this genre wouldn't appeal to everyone, but it doesn't seem any more or less valid than any other sort of game.
Oh absolutely, which is also why I'd rather classify it as Visual Novel than Adventure (in the traditional sense), as the genre itself is really great for telling good stories, as TWD 1 is a perfect example of.
I guess I just really miss when Telltale made classic point-and-click adventures, as they really nailed the episodic thing and gave us a few hours of fun classic adventure gaming once a month.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I seem to hear a lot of people getting keys to Road Redemption in this thread. Is there any way to get in on that? I want to play some modern Road Rash.
The developer friends you on Steam out of the blue and gives you a key. It's not something you sign up to.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Captain*MeoW^^ is a persistent fucker. I see him 9 times there and I've had the pleasure of getting friend requests from him several times.

As I'm not into trading at all, my main rule for any friend request is: Not in the SA Goon group = automatic ignore.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

The White Dragon posted:

Is it finished? I remember playing it in Early Access last year, but while it was functioning, it was also extremely barebones.

I had a blast playing it (Full Mojo Rampage) and they just kept adding on until they got out of Early Access.
I keep comparing it to Hero Siege more than Binding of Isaac, as your character keeps some of the stuff you earn through a game and can level up that way.

Never tried coop but for someone who is not all that into roguelites, I had a good time playing it and will probably revisit it some day.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Did anybody else notice that all the recent coupons stack on top of already applied discounts, like weekly deals, intro promos etc.?
I currently have coupons for 5 games, and none of them mention any limitations like they used to do.
Has Valve said anything or is this just the new default coupon setting?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Xander77 posted:

I don't think so. The new Frozen Synapse is 21.24$, with a 15% discount. Applying a 50% off coupon gives me... a 10.62% discount.
Does the checkout look the same as mine (15% off retail and then 50% off that promo price)?
Does it say anything on your coupon about not being available with other discounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
^^^ :respek:

Cardiovorax posted:

There, now it's true.

I guess you don't like Civilization IV, Defense Grid, Bully, Rocksmith and Sid Meier's Pirates! then?

• Locked thread