Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

how do i checkout a git repo that has filenames with ':' in them on windows? am I going to have to rename all of them beforehand? will that even work or do they need to be completely purged from the history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

did summore loving around with xenserver today, all the HA stuff "just works" if you have identical CPUs but it gets dodgy if if you don't. but it looks like the CPU is the only part it's picky about which is nice because one of our problems w/ vsphere is having to find motherboards with raid/ethernet that's vsphere compatible and that's waaaay less of a problem with xenserver

it can use masking so if they're similar enough everything will just work too

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

8.1 is a completely tolerable OS so is server 2012 r2 2012 would be ok except over the windows key doesn't automatically map to a rdp window.

server r2 2012 edition 1 service pack 1 is in fact not fine to use

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

prefect posted:

are there any decent ssh server applications that run on windows?

install linux

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

program666 posted:

I should really get into virtual machines and stuff. I already know a lot of linux and my PC has 16 GB of RAM. My processor is only a 4670k so no hyper-threading or anything but it should escalate well for 4 or 5 virtual machines. It would also be completely useless to me but that's beside the point.

I think that 'K' means no hardware virtualisation so all your vms will need special drivers or something I don't remember.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

buy the new moto g unless they made that one too big too

of course they did

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

horse mans posted:

cross-postin

ansible

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

itunes is bad don't use it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

excel is so annoying to use as a CSV tool

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO USE CSV? CSV IS BAD YOU KNOW. HAVE YOU CONSIDERED USING AN XLSX??? PS I TRUNCATED YOUR LEADING ZEROS LOL

also lol at the order of these:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

open csv, look around, close it
DO YOU WANT TO SAVE YOUR CHANEGS

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

domain management chat. im currently using cloudns for my single *.eu domain, and for proper functionality i pay for their premium service, $22/yr. anything to optimize here (as in, any better service recommendations?)
i use it for e-mail, and one subdomain for voip server

i use iwantmyname they seem OK - what does the premium you pay for get you?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lmao enjoy going down the the DC to replace a cable
edit assuming you have measurable packet loss otherwise it's probably a firewall

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

now i have a question. does tcpdump manage to hook into interfaces before the firewall rules are applied?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

kindle voyage owns

is this the paperwhite v3 or something

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

nope, right partition was set active. ended up having to rebuild the mbr and bootloader with bootrec, trashed those and nothing else. something terrible is probably happening but that system is getting retired this month so: YOLO

reality: system lives on in a critical role for 10 years

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sniep posted:

web hosting with windows???
so like, hosted sharepoint or what?

someone out there is making money keeping all those asp classic pages running

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

nonsensical letters and numbers

heart touching

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

if it can run quagga, it's a router. :downs:

there was a cool nanog thread the other day about cheap software routers and they're not in a great state it seems even on brand new xeons you can only push 4gbps and it falls over if you get into tons of small packets (ie ddos scenario)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

spankmeister posted:

you can run quagga to do all the routing protocols and fill the routing tables but have the actual routing done in h/w using something like openflow

but you should probably just buy a real router

i did my final year project on openflow and back then it seemed like a solution looking for a problem has that changed?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

anthonypants posted:

is that something The SEO Rapper did

this one isn't html5 but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0qMe7Z3EYg

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

im playing with the amazon clod for the first time and it's taking 10+ minutes to spin up a new elastic beanstalk. this isn't very agile. elastic beanstalk is a bad name.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol the 'eb deploy' command zips up your entire source and uploads it instead of just the diff since last commit

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

im playing with the amazon clod for the first time and it's taking 10+ minutes to spin up a new elastic beanstalk. this isn't very agile. elastic beanstalk is a bad name.

i got my amazon clod going and it's 100x faster than my digital ocean vm, which had trouble rendering some django templates in less than 900ms. i know it's python and therefore super slow but seriously

also now i don't have to janitor my server

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

does DO have an overprovisioning problem because it feels like they do

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

what's the best twitter app to use on windows. For example I want something that when I retweet I will be able to add a comment, but NOT quote tweet like the web interface does. I want my end result to be "[my comment] RT @fart eat the eggs"

i need to know this too because the twitter website is so slow

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

anthonypants posted:

the best twitter webclient is tweetdeck but it does not do that thing

ty

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Stymie posted:

is there a good tool to wipe a hard drive that doesn't involve booting from a cd?

i know dban is the standard, but i just have no desire to boot from a disc

a different drive to your os, right? why not just format

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Malloc Voidstar posted:

i'm having a memory issue with uTorrent on win7 x64. it only shows as having a commit size of like 1-200MB, but closing it today ended up releasing 5GB of RAM. seems to happen after running it for >24hours. i assume something else is grabbing that memory since uTorrent is 32-bit. i forgot to check the all-processes bit of task manager today but as far as i remember nothing ever showed as having high ram usage during these in either task manager or resource monitor.

are there any tools that give a better overview of memory usage in windows? or some other way i can figure out what the gently caress is using 5GB of memory for no reason?

use transmission

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i uninstalled facebook from ios. terrible app. facebook messenger can stay though because for some people its the only way they get in contact

why is the app store the slowest app on my iphone

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ftp is dead and bad
use an automated backup thing that diffs and versions all your files

if you insist of manually transferring files use something like WInSCP

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

crashplan is free if you don't use their clod

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

suggest me lightweight mail client for wandows, preferably not thunderbird

fastmail web interface, op

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

merry christmas mr crab

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

will the c7 do 20+ on NAT? that's impressive for a little consumer router. it shouldn't be, but it is.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

tp-link archer c7 is good and cheap

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

obstipator posted:

is it possible to \G in phpmyadmin? i want a vertical view while comparing stuff just for a few momentos

guy firewalled everything except his pma so i cant command line it

use adminer for all your gross php/mysql needs in future
i think your best bet is two edit tabs open side by side

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Sniep posted:

write a distributed map reduce function in Erland

lol

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

hm, 1password has $5/month now as on option, i should do that when my lastpass premium runs out

but it;s like $40 what the hell

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

kalstrams posted:

anyone played around linux for windows update?

yeah it's OK. some weird things
you have to run as root
ubuntu userland is bad
symlinks across filesystems are weird so python virtualenvs don't work correctly
you can't run apt-get update everything fails to upgrade

also you have to run a dumb prerelease windows 10 as your desktop which breaks obscure features like "start menu" and "calculator" reliably every two updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

is http://matrix.org/ a slack clone or an irc clone